Re: Upcoming Feature: Inventory Improvements - Tags (or Labels)

sebi wrote:
Chaim wrote:

For the record, I have a few cards listed as poor condition, when really they are M/NM, Misprint - Ink Blotches. That is one of the reasons that I would really like freeform tags/labels.

Would this be better solved by just having a free form notes field on the card?

Freeform notes might be nice, but it would possibly be difficult to search/filter on.

Also I can't disagree more with anyone saying that you shouldn't be able to view all your cards from different inventories at once. That's my #1 use case: I want to know all the cards of something that I own, regardless of where they are.

Chaim wrote:

Okay, I was looking at it from a slightly different viewpoint. But I still think that the option should be available. I would want the option to look one place and see if I have the card at all.

To solve this issue I would use the "Card Database" to search for a card. Click the card. On the "My Collection" tab you would see your various inventories listed that the card is in.

For instance I have a couple Abandon Hope. I might see:

Inventory: My Collection
 - Tempest,   Excellent,   English,   1,   {Some tag}

Inventory: University Community Pot
 - Tempest,   Played,      English,   2,   {On Loan, Jeff}
Chaim wrote:
Moxy wrote:

Hmm, photo notes/attachments anyone?

This smells of "then we're going to need a bigger server" to me.

Yes it does but it was said more tongue in cheek than as a real suggestion. Maybe there could be a way to tie it into our dropbox accounts? Although if there were ever some sort of desktop or paid version of deckbox it would be an excellent added feature.  Either way this would be for another thread.

Chaim wrote:
Moxy wrote:

Hmm, photo notes/attachments anyone?

Yes it does but it was said more tongue in cheek than as a real suggestion. Maybe there could be a way to tie it into our dropbox accounts? Although if there were ever some sort of desktop or paid version of deckbox it would be an excellent added feature.  Either way this would be for another thread.

We will definitely have attachments as well. We already have 2 servers and they're pretty big tongue

sebi wrote:
Chaim wrote:

We will definitely have attachments as well. We already have 2 servers and they're pretty big tongue

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

It's not quite that extreme when it comes to data... but 2 orders of magnitude memory difference between the text description of a card and the corresponding image, is not unreasonable.

scshunt wrote:

Also I can't disagree more with anyone saying that you shouldn't be able to view all your cards from different inventories at once. That's my #1 use case: I want to know all the cards of something that I own, regardless of where they are.

Maybe a good comparison is thinking of inventories as separating your cards in the same way another account separates the cards in that account from the cards yours. You wouldn't look at a listing of your cards mixed with my cards. They're distinct entities. The only way our inventories would ever really interact with one another is through some sort of trade or buy/sell transaction. Moving a card from one of our inventories into the other inventory.

If you have a collection of cards you want to see grouped together for some reason using tags would likely be a better solution.

If you have a collection of cards you keep *strictly* separate then inventories would be better.

vikirosen wrote:

I know that the Inventory button is intended to show every card in my collection, but I keep my Rebecca Guay collection strictly separate from all my other cards, so when I search through my Inventory I would prefer not to see those at all, by default, with the option, of course, of making them visible if need be.

moxy wrote:

if you manage a personal inventory and a community inventory. This is for groupings of cards that won't intermingle with one another.

Both examples of using inventories to *strictly* separate cards. Neither of these situations would you want to see both sets of cards together at once as a whole.

What situation would you want to group and see various inventories listed together where using tags for such groupings would be sub-optimal?

Moxy wrote:
scshunt wrote:

Maybe a good comparison is thinking of inventories as separating your cards in the same way another account separates the cards in that account from the cards yours. You wouldn't look at a listing of your cards mixed with my cards. They're distinct entities. The only way our inventories would ever really interact with one another is through some sort of trade or buy/sell transaction. Moving a card from one of our inventories into the other inventory.

If you have a collection of cards you want to see grouped together for some reason using tags would likely be a better solution.

If you have a collection of cards you keep *strictly* separate then inventories would be better.

vikirosen wrote:

I know that the Inventory button is intended to show every card in my collection, but I keep my Rebecca Guay collection strictly separate from all my other cards, so when I search through my Inventory I would prefer not to see those at all, by default, with the option, of course, of making them visible if need be.

moxy wrote:

if you manage a personal inventory and a community inventory. This is for groupings of cards that won't intermingle with one another.

Both examples of using inventories to *strictly* separate cards. Neither of these situations would you want to see both sets of cards together at once as a whole.

What situation would you want to group and see various inventories listed together where using tags for such groupings would be sub-optimal?

I keep a few pretty distinct collections (in different places) and sometimes would want to see if I have something at all or not.

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

Chaim wrote:

I keep a few pretty distinct collections (in different places) and sometimes would want to see if I have something at all or not.

Would using the Card Database to search for what you're looking for and the My collection tab on the card details suggestion mentioned previously not suffice for this?

I've been watching this thread since it started to get an idea of what other people would like and to formulate an opinion of my own. I personally don't have distinct sets of cards that never mix together so I wouldn't benefit as much as some others from multiple inventories. However, I can see the benefits that it would give to some users who have sets that they never want to mix with others and they will never want to trade. I personally would be benefitted the most by fre-eform tags attached to individual cards. In addittion it would be very nice to ihave the ability to include specific cards in decks.

So I guess from my perspective the best option would be to implement both free-form tags as well as multiple inventories. Just my 2 cents.

Moxy wrote:
Chaim wrote:

Would using the Card Database to search for what you're looking for and the My collection tab on the card details suggestion mentioned previously not suffice for this?

Why scratch your left ear with your right hand? (i.e. why go the long way around)

Last edited by Chaim (2014-05-27 05:25:04)

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

I came to the forums to post a suggestion that I think is already covered in this thread, so let me just reiterate it from my viewpoint. big_smile

I'm a collector, meaning that I don't just keep random or playable cards, but I seek basically every card from almost every set.  I never sell or trade out of my collection, only add to it (or swap out something, like a foil upgrade).  Cards not in my collection go in a trade box or binder, which I don't currently inventory anywhere.

It's very important to me that my trade stuff stay separate from my primary collection.  I don't own six of that card, two in the trade binder, I own four, and the other two are trade stuff.  I'm sure that's a silly distinction for some people, but that's my motivation.

What I want is a way to have a completely separate inventory on Deckbox for trade stuff.  I thought of two methods:
1. A second distinct MTG inventory, as has already been suggested in this thread.  I can have separate MTG and WoWTCG inventories, for example, just let me spawn multiple MTG inventories.  I'll put my wish list and trade stuff in the trade inventory and start selling/trading.  I don't need any way to easily move cards between inventories, nor do I want/need any top level view that shows both inventories merged.

2. Allow a second account with linked trade and seller ratings.  I thought this might be easier to implement.

As it is, I completely respect the "one account per person" rule, and as such, choose to keep my collection here and not my trade stuff.  Barring an upgrade from Deckbox, I'll likely use a different site for sale/trade stuff, which is not great for either me (two sites to get used to) or Deckbox (no chance for commission).

Posting in this thread a response to a different feature request thread, just to keep it all in one place.

With regard to marking cards for trade that are not in decks, the discussion is a bit more complicated that it appears smile. It also ties into other feature requests like inventory management with tags, separate inventories, and detailed cards usage in decks.

First problem with the current system is that you cannot mark decks as being either "built" or "ideas".

If we did that, next issue would be that "built" decks should not contain generic cards like now, but specific cards, from your inventory, with exact printings & conditions etc. Since these cards are now part of your built decks, they should be visible as so in your inventory, and somehow be "separate" from your main collection. This makes working with these cards more difficult.

Some users will not want to trade out of their built decks, other will, this is one source of confusion, as we have to choose and design a way to interact between these built decks and your tradelist.

Furthermore, some people will have a set of Tarmogoyf, and will want to use it in 4 decks, without having to buy 16 Tarmogoyfs. Hence there would need to be a way to signify in these built decks that one of them actually has the goyfs, the other 3 decks just have proxies of them.

And so on it goes... smile

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts on these issues. I did not yet come to a conclusion for myself, nor did I have time as I hoped to start seriously thinking of an implementation for this, but it comes back time and again, and I assure you it is always in the back of my mind, stressin' me from there smile

Last edited by sebi (2014-08-11 13:52:43)

Mm... This is why I don't think that we should require distinct inventories, but just allow tags that a card may have one or more of. You can then represent a deck as a specific kind of tag. If a player doesn't want to trade his deck cards, he can do a search for cards tagged with deck tags and remove them from his tradelist. If you have a single copy of a card that you move between decks, tag that copy with multiple deck tags.

This could theoretically be different from the decklist feature, but to me dealing with that seems straightforward. Have columns "Number on decklist" and "Number in deck" on the deck view; the former is the number of cards you have on the list, the latter is the cards actually tagged with the deck's tag. If you click the number in deck, you get the popup window for that card, so that you can edit it. This also seamlessly allows for a card to be in the deck but not on the decklist. This is true for one of my Commander decks; it has several placeholders that don't appear on the "official" list but are physically in the deck. Privacy settings should allow a player to display publicly only the decklist, the number of each card in the deck, or the specific versions of each card in the deck.

sebi wrote:

First problem with the current system is that you cannot mark decks as being either "built" or "ideas".

A simple check box on the deck edit page would be enough to mark a deck as built or not. Just that a check box. Don't worry about verifying that all the cards are actually owned. See below...

sebi wrote:

If we did that, next issue would be that "built" decks should not contain generic cards like now, but specific cards, from your inventory, with exact printings & conditions etc. Since these cards are now part of your built decks, they should be visible as so in your inventory, and somehow be "separate" from your main collection. This makes working with these cards more difficult.

IMHO with us able to specify the condition and other markings of cards, the cards should have been individually addressable from the very start. Each row in the database should be considered a different card. You can do some DB tricks such as lumping "duplicate" cards into a single row and using a column that indicates the number of those duplicates but in the end each of those should be an individual card. If something happens to one of those (say I get one of my 12 copies signed) then when I go and update that card it would end up creating a new row in the DB indicating that the one that is signed is different from the other 11 because of the signature.

sebi wrote:

Some users will not want to trade out of their built decks, other will, this is one source of confusion, as we have to choose and design a way to interact between these built decks and your tradelist.

This is a users preference. The user should be smart enough, if they don't want to trade from their deck, to check the trade count when creating and/or editing a deck. Alternatively, I could see a tool provided that removes all cards in your decks from your trade list with the option  to choose only built, unbuilt, or all decks. I don't see why you would need to implement something to enforce this preference in the system. Seems like something a user could do themselves.

sebi wrote:

Furthermore, some people will have a set of Tarmogoyf, and will want to use it in 4 decks, without having to buy 16 Tarmogoyfs. Hence there would need to be a way to signify in these built decks that one of them actually has the goyfs, the other 3 decks just have proxies of them.

This actually requires no changes. A user can add a card to the deck that he doesn't own. You could allow a deck to be mark built even if not all the cards in that deck are owned. In this case the user would have one deck that would have 4 of the cards and they would be marked as "in use" with that particular deck. The other 3 decks would have 4 cards and they would simply show up as in the decklist count but there's no cards available to mark as "in use". When the user takes the deck apart that actually has those 4 cards in it he will be updating the deck in deckbox to signify that deck is no longer built. He would then go mark those 4 cards as being in the deck he actually put them in.

I could see an option available to "automatically assign unused cards to decks" where in if a lazy user in this case were to mark his first deck unbuilt and then go about his merry way the system would recognize that 3 other decks are "built" and use this card but that the card isn't marked "in use" in those decks. It would then pick one (which one doesn't really matter) and assign those 4 cards to that deck.  Not really the greatest solution to this problem but hey, it's a lazy user anyway.

scshunt wrote:

Mm... This is why I don't think that we should require distinct inventories,

Distinct inventories as I have envisioned them have no bearing on this at all. Being distinct sets there would not be any mixing of the cards between the inventories, EVER. You would never have a deck with cards made from both inventories. Just wouldn't happen. The entire purpose of having inventories separated at such a high level is to indicate their unique quality that they NEVER EVER mix. Think of each inventory as a different deckbox user account. Your cards and my cards never mix, thus one inventory and a second inventory will never mix. A card would only exist in one and only one inventory at a time ever, and an inventory would have its own set of unique tags, decks, lists, etc. that is not shared with any other inventory.

scshunt wrote:

but just allow tags that a card may have one or more of. You can then represent a deck as a specific kind of tag.

Now tagging, yes tagging would allow a cards to mix and belong to multiple tags at a single time.
This is essentially what the decks are today. Sadly their hierarchical nature today prevents them from being in multiple groupings. When they truly move to being tags we could put a single instance of a deck in multiple groupings (folders).

scshunt wrote:

If a player doesn't want to trade his deck cards, he can do a search for cards tagged with deck tags and remove them from his tradelist. If you have a single copy of a card that you move between decks, tag that copy with multiple deck tags.

Precisely, even if the decks aren't implemented as tags allowing a search of "cards in decks" (with an option of built, unbuilt) might even suffice in lieu of the tool I spoke of above.

scshunt wrote:

This could theoretically be different from the decklist feature, but to me dealing with that seems straightforward. Have columns "Number on decklist" and "Number in deck" on the deck view; the former is the number of cards you have on the list, the latter is the cards actually tagged with the deck's tag. If you click the number in deck, you get the popup window for that card, so that you can edit it.

Well put.

scshunt wrote:

This also seamlessly allows for a card to be in the deck but not on the decklist. This is true for one of my Commander decks; it has several placeholders that don't appear on the "official" list but are physically in the deck.

This I disagree with. The point of all this is to indicate where your cards physically reside. If they're in your deck they should be marked as in your deck. If they're in your collection they should be marked as in your collection. Why would you possibly want to mark something as in your collection if it is actually in your deck? The only reason I see here is being able to pass around a bogus decklist to friends so they don't really know what you're playing.

On second thought I could see you having an "official" decklist maybe via net decking that lists cards that should be in the deck you don't own and your "place holders" are your substitutes for those cards until you can acquire them. You want to keep the "official" decklist so you remember what cards are supposed to be in the deck but you also want to know what cards are actually physically in your deck. The more correct way to go about this would be having two decklists. The "official" decklist the unchanged one marked as unbuilt and a second decklist that includes the cards you actually put in your deck and it would be marked as built. You still have your reference and you now have an accurate representation of where your cards are at.

That said as above you could have something in your deck list that isn't in your collection. It would seem strange to me and it would probably break the deck tools to allow you to set the decklist number to 0 in the deck editor and to set the "number in deck" to a >0 number. If it were me doing this I would have a constraint placed on the decklist column that it would always be >= to the number in deck column. This would help ensure the user is marking this where they physically are.

scshunt wrote:

Privacy settings should allow a player to display publicly only the decklist, the number of each card in the deck, or the specific versions of each card in the deck.

I'm all up for greater privacy filters. I like this idea. Might also add a filter for built/unbuilt settings. If I'm working on some secret tech maybe I don't want to share it before it's time. If you end up adding a built/unbuilt check box could probably add a check box for visible. This way if a user wanted to filter privacy at the deck levels he could.

Specifically addressing the issue of wanting to mark all cards in decks as "not tradeable":

1. As a stopgap measure, being able to sort inventory by the Deck Count column would go a long way toward removing the pain of manual work, as would the idea of "flattening" the inventory (temporarily disregarding the version information).

2. Along this same line, for those of us with a large number of cards without version information (still working my way through) being able to run a job to mark the version information for all cards where there is only a single printing would be helpful.

3. I would say that you could enforce version information in decks tagged as non-tradeable. Much easier to deal with from this direction as the cards are probably on hand and easy to pull/reference.

Moxy wrote:
scshunt wrote:

This also seamlessly allows for a card to be in the deck but not on the decklist. This is true for one of my Commander decks; it has several placeholders that don't appear on the "official" list but are physically in the deck.

This I disagree with. The point of all this is to indicate where your cards physically reside. If they're in your deck they should be marked as in your deck. If they're in your collection they should be marked as in your collection. Why would you possibly want to mark something as in your collection if it is actually in your deck? The only reason I see here is being able to pass around a bogus decklist to friends so they don't really know what you're playing.

On second thought I could see you having an "official" decklist maybe via net decking that lists cards that should be in the deck you don't own and your "place holders" are your substitutes for those cards until you can acquire them. You want to keep the "official" decklist so you remember what cards are supposed to be in the deck but you also want to know what cards are actually physically in your deck. The more correct way to go about this would be having two decklists. The "official" decklist the unchanged one marked as unbuilt and a second decklist that includes the cards you actually put in your deck and it would be marked as built. You still have your reference and you now have an accurate representation of where your cards are at.

That said as above you could have something in your deck list that isn't in your collection. It would seem strange to me and it would probably break the deck tools to allow you to set the decklist number to 0 in the deck editor and to set the "number in deck" to a >0 number. If it were me doing this I would have a constraint placed on the decklist column that it would always be >= to the number in deck column. This would help ensure the user is marking this where they physically are.

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. The list in question was not made by net decking, but it's a Commander list that I have not yet finished. I'm only missing 7 cards, though, and none of them are crucial, so the deck physically has 7 other cards which are not going to be in the final version, but which make the deck legal. Right now, I have notes stored on the deck telling me which cards I'm missing; it would be nice if I could easily keep track of this and the extra cards that I've added in. Keeping two decklists seems like overkill, especially since if I decide to make a change to the list, then I have to go and edit both copies.

This discussion is becoming more and more interesting.
I see many aspects being covered with a lot of smart ideas.

While I was trying to understand which of the proposed features/solutions would best fit my needs, I realized I first had to classify my needs.

Here is my basic list, for simplicity's sake I named the six basic needs.

1. INVENTORY: keeping track of what cards I have
2. DECK LISTS: keeping track of decks I "like"
3. MY DECKS: keeping track of decks I have currently built
4. STORAGE: keeping track of where my cards are physically located
5. WISH LIST: keeping track of the cards I need
6. TRADE LIST: keeping track of the cards I'm willing to trade/sell

and here is how I see DB supporting me so far:

1. INVENTORY: with the latest release I'm pretty much ok, the only thing missing is the ability to distinguish between BB and WB foreign first editions. Almost there. CHECK
2. DECK LISTS: I can keep track of decks regardless if I have the cards to build them or not. CHECK
3. MY DECKS: I can keep track of decks for which I own cards. If I want to distinguish DECK LISTS from MY DECKS I believe the only way is to use separate folders. Not the most flexible option, but it works CHECK
4. STORAGE: I have binders, large and small boxes, you name it. MISS
5. WISH LIST: significantly improved after multiple-pictures feature in the latest release CHECKED
6. TRADE LIST: significantly improved after multiple-pictures feature in the latest release CHECKED

So STORAGE is a problem.

I do agree with Moxy about ultimately having to go 1 physical card = 1 database record in order to have impossible-to-beat accurate tracking of a card's conditions. This, from my point of view, would allow both perfect INVENTORY and perfect STORAGE tracking.

What scares me, is the usability. If I have 200 Swamps same edition/language/conditions and in the same box. I'd prefer entering the information just once rather than 200. Also, when I look at my inventory, I'd like to see one line with 200 identical swamps rather than 200 identical lines. But this can be managed regardless the granularity of the database, I assume.

The other interesting point I wanted to discuss about is TAGs. In general I'm not a fan of tags, actually I'm a bit scared about freeform tags as they can be a very powerful organizer but they can also become a nightmare if not properly managed, especially with large inventories and multiple tagging.

Said that, I like a lot scshunt's idea of separating deck lists from the cards I have in decks, and to use a Tag to indicate in which physical deck a card I own is currently placed. Simple and elegant. Love it. I have a feeling this same concept could be extended to manage the whole STORAGE problem.

If the whole MY DECKS + STORAGE could be managed through "controlled" tagging maybe it would help with sebi's concern about "working with these cards more difficult".

Last point, I don't see me using multiple/separate inventories but I understand why someone could need/use such a feature.

Not sure if I'm adding something useful to the discussion.
But I'm sure coming back to see how it evolves.

Mateframtg wrote:

What scares me, is the usability. If I have 200 Swamps same edition/language/conditions and in the same box. I'd prefer entering the information just once rather than 200. Also, when I look at my inventory, I'd like to see one line with 200 identical swamps rather than 200 identical lines. But this can be managed regardless the granularity of the database, I assume.

As for creating new inventory I don't see why it couldn't stay the way it is. If you tell it you have 200 of the same cards that could be entered as one record and managed as one record until one of those items changes. Or if it's not a single record there's no reason the computer can't automate the creation of 200 duplicate records.

As for displaying this is just as easy too. It would be handle by way of grouping statements in the back end. Anything that is sufficiently identical in the display can be grouped together and displayed as a single record.

Moxy wrote:

As for creating new inventory I don't see why it couldn't stay the way it is. If you tell it you have 200 of the same cards that could be entered as one record and managed as one record until one of those items changes. Or if it's not a single record there's no reason the computer can't automate the creation of 200 duplicate records.

As for displaying this is just as easy too. It would be handle by way of grouping statements in the back end. Anything that is sufficiently identical in the display can be grouped together and displayed as a single record.

This is exactly what I meant with "But this can be managed regardless the granularity of the database, I assume.".

Going to maximum database granularity without some smart grouping statements, as you suggest, would create more problem than it solves. Totally agree with you.

I'm a big fan of introducing a tagging feature, but I'd also like to be able to tag cards in my wishlist, or leave public/private comments on them. For instance, I add a few cards to my wishlist with a view to building an artifact deck; a couple months later I change my mind...If free tagging were enabled I could just pull up all the cards with the artifact tag on and remove them from the list.

I've thought a lot about tagging lately (and deck tags), and about the new flags that are needed (artist proof, misprint, altered, signed). We also need notes (public and private) and images (for scans).

The more I think about this, the more I feel adding everything will make things confusing in the interface. Filters for tags, saved searches, flags, notes etc.

One way I thought we could simplify everything would be:
  - have one field of public notes and one for private notes
  - only have 2 flags: foil and modifed. Where modified means any of signed, altered, misprint, etc etc.
  - otherwise all tagging and flagging can be done via hashtags in the notes field. E.g. "#misprint - miscut" or "#signed by artist at Worlds 2013"

Then users can flexibly tag and untag things without a complicated interface. I feel it would also be understandable, since everybody uses hashtags on social networks nowadays.

Private notes can also be used to tag things freely, like "#borrowed to mike. Otherwise belongs in #blue_box_basement".

What do you think?

And we can still have saved searches in this scenario too, that filter a set by the presence of some tags and absence of others.

Hi Sebi,

Will cards inherit tags from the decks they are in? My main goal is to be able to mark all cards in my built decks as not tradeable. I could see this working by filtering the inventory on NOT #sleeved, for example, and then importing the resulting list as the tradelist. You've mentioned the problem of multiple editions and decks increasing the complexity before, but I'm fine with managing that problem external to deckbox.

Thanks as always for the great work.

/ted

With regard to deck tagging, I've been thinking of doing it in a way that was touched upon in this thread by you & Moxy & others.

In built decks we'd have some sort of smart way for each card to pick something from your inventory that can be used for it.

for ex, you have "2 Mountain" in your deck. You click somewhere and you see a list of all the exact mountains that you own in the inventory, and you can check which 2 of them are actually in this deck.

Afterwards, the 2 you have selected will be tagged as such in your inventory. They will have a #deck_234 tag on them.

Then can then have a button in inventory tools that says "Mark all cards that do not have some kind of #deck tag as tradable".

Also a point worth discussing is if you can tag a card as being in 2 decks at the same time... because in my mind that would not make sense. One of the decks has it actually in it, the other one does not... although it is listed in the decklist, the actual specific card is not there, so it should not be tagged I think.

sebi wrote:

Also a point worth discussing is if you can tag a card as being in 2 decks at the same time

I personally think this should be allowed. For example: I have both a modern and a legacy burn deck. Both decks run 4 Lightning Bolt, 4 Lava Spike, 4 Rift Bolt, 4 Goblin Guide etc. About 2/3 of the cards overlap and I only have 4 copies of each card.

I don't know how common this sort of situation is, but for me personally it would be nice to be able to tag cards as being in two (or more) decks.

Add: As for your other ideas, I like them. smile

Last edited by Kammikaze (2014-10-21 13:01:24)