Topic: Noob looking for comments on deck - Black/Green - Infect/Pump

Hey guys I'm working on a deck and would like some thoughts on it. I've been playing Magic for about three weeks now. This is my second attempt at building a deck. Originally this deck was the NP: Rot From Within. It doesn't look much like the same deck anymore but I really liked the theme of the deck and think that I've kept to it pretty well.

Rot From Within is a mono green infect/pump deck. I enjoyed playing it out of the box. It became pretty obvious to me early on that it had WAY too many spells and not enough creatures. I kept winding up with a hand full of spells and nothing to cast them on. After a couple revs (more creatures, less spells, got some trample going) I took it to my first FNM. It performed half way decently, but the mana gods decided to smack me back down from a decent start and completely screw me for my last four games. Got to looking at cards and decided to rebuild it from scratch and to throw in black to turn up the awesome.

I haven't had a chance to play test this yet, so not sure how well the mana is going to go with this deck. Would love to hear comments or suggestions.
http://deckbox.org/sets/75465

Last edited by analogbot (2011-08-31 02:26:25)

Re: Noob looking for comments on deck - Black/Green - Infect/Pump

Hey there Analog, the only thing id recommend is reducing the number of Skits from 4 to 2 and putting 2 mana acceleration cards in there instead. Maybe 2 terramorphic expanses? it would help you pull out the right mana faster.

The Blightsteel is a good card, but hes not going to show up easily and even if he does itll be kinda late unless you can generate more mana (other than your basic ones). Try placing a quicksliver amulet instead of the second Colossus and it should help with that.

Hope this helps, keep it up!

As was recommended above, also the blightsteel/quicksilver amulet combo seems nice, but I doubt it would come up often enough without any card draw. It might be a better idea to instead through some buffs (ala Giant Growth) in order to maximize any damage that does get through considering you only need to do 10.

Other then that it looks good. Maybe a bit low on removal for my tastes, but I'm a large fan of MBC.

Hrm, good thoughts all around.
I did find I have several terramorphic expanses that I could toss in. Not a bad idea. Already have a couple cultivates which are pretty nice. I'm hoping inistrad brings back cultivate or something similar since those will be going out of standard at the end of the month. The other green land grab (can't remember it's name) is kinda crap IMO.
Quicksilver amulet will come in handy with more then the blight steel colossus, so that's definitely going in.
I went with primal bellow over giant growth since it has a little more potential and only costs one mana. I think overrun fills out the buffs nicely. Though it might not be a horrible idea to toss in more of each to bring up the count.
I don't really expect the colossus to show up all the time, but he's pretty brutal so it will be worth it when he does. I think the deck would fare OK without him though. I look at him as kinda the icing on the cake.

So many cards I wanted to put in that I had to cut, and even now I almost feel like I'm spreading too thin. Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance to test before Friday. Looks like I'll be play testing at FNM smile

Last edited by analogbot (2011-09-01 21:14:35)

That is the problem when making decks. There are a lot of fairly good cards out there its merely a matter of choosing the few "best" that do what you need. I suggest checking out cockatrice and seeing if anyone on there wants to play some standard matches. It definitely shouldn't be too hard to find someone to play against.

The Blightsteel Colossus is very mana-expensive to be effective (with hardcast) in an aggro/pump/infect deck and with only 2 Quicksilver Amulet and no card draw it will be extremely unlucky to get this beast out.
So instead of these three cards you can play three Phyrexian Crusaders, also improving your mana curve!
Caged Sun at the cost of six mana is not very helpful, also considering you have many artifacts that will not get the +1/+1 (as colorless). Why not to replace it with something that will work better and faster for you? I talk about Overrun, Giant Growth, Livewire Lash (which will be great for your opponent's targeted removals and your targeted pumps! +2 poison counters with every spell!).
One Diabolic Tutor at four mana is not that helpfull. It would be better if you replace him with one of the last mentioned spells above.
Spinebiters are expensive and have to stay one round in play before they show their power, so i would advise against them since you can replace these two with more helpful cards like some more Hand of the Praetors and/or Plague Stinger or even one/two of the four cards i suggested above.

Off topic much? Really annoying when you advertise like that in somebody's serious discussion.

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

Sillvva wrote:

Off topic much? Really annoying when you advertise like that in somebody's serious discussion.

lol? ......... It's a spam bot.....:

Figures roll Oh well

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png