Re: Inventory Privacy [Feature Request]

I understand why some people would want their entire inventory hidden to the public and I think that's a very reasonable request. The second part of the request deals with people adding cards to trades that aren't on our tradelist and I believe this issue could have a more simple solution. A possible change could be to make it so you can only add cards to a trade from your own inventory or a more extreme version would be for cards that aren't on your tradelist simply make it so they can't be added to a trade at all.

I think the best solution would be to have the option to make inventories private or password protected as previously suggested. Second best would be to make it so that cards that aren't on your tradelist can't be added to trades. Just my two cents.

So this has been stickied for like 9 months now......

I wonder how fast it'll change if/when they get sued over someone getting robbed.

LovesTha wrote:

This is a pretty serious required option. I was surprised to learn that inventories were public, there is very very little reason for them to be and huge reasons for them not to be.

It will change fast either way smile. On my list for this month.

Where is the like button?

No really we don't need one :-)

sebi wrote:

Hoping it's still on your list for this month wink

+1 from me.

Another possible benefit from this is the ability to go on a temporary trade hiatus.  It is easy enough to cut and paste your tradelist to a new deck and make it private, but that screws up your inventory.  Not too difficult to work around for a user, but it would be nice to click a button that makes your tradelist private if, say, you are moving, and you want to disable trading for x days to avoid mailing complications.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Edit:  That work around doesn't really work because you can't import cards for trade via CSV, only inventory.

Last edited by three_toe (2014-03-24 03:51:06)

I just want to make sure the non-vocal majority who want their inventory to remain public are thought about. I very often trade from my inventory and if someone wants to offer a good trade in my favour for something not in my trade list I'd like that to be available to them.

I wouldn't go claiming the majority with no data DarkMuse. The closest to data anyone has is people still use the site, but as there aren't a plethora of awesome alternatives that isn't fantastic data. 

I'd advocate that private by default makes the most sense, I was surprised that it was public (why would I want other people looking at my inventory, the trade list make sense to be public). Heck I wasn't using this site for trading at all and thought there was little chance I'd want to.

But yes, it clearly should be an option. Which way the default is and what setting people should get when grandfathered in can be debated (I'd vote private to both question)

darkmuse wrote:

I just want to make sure the non-vocal majority who want their inventory to remain public are thought about. I very often trade from my inventory and if someone wants to offer a good trade in my favour for something not in my trade list I'd like that to be available to them.

I don't think anyone here is asking for the removal of a public inventory option.  We just don't want it to be the only option.

three_toe wrote:
darkmuse wrote:

I don't think anyone here is asking for the removal of a public inventory option.  We just don't want it to be the only option.

Agreed. Each member should have the choice.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:
three_toe wrote:
darkmuse wrote:

Agreed. Each member should have the choice.

Agreed. And I like and miss the ability to trade out of inventory as a toggle/option. Sometimes I'm willing to trade out of inventory, and like the option.

sebi wrote:
LovesTha wrote:

This is a pretty serious required option. I was surprised to learn that inventories were public, there is very very little reason for them to be and huge reasons for them not to be.

How did last months list go?

Oh and it isn't 'change fast' when it was requested 2 years ago tongue 

I can appreciate that some work has had to happen on price system changes, but what is the timeline on this looking to be?

Yes, my insurance agent is now concerned because he could visit the site and see my inventory. This needs to change (to at least give members the option of hiding their inventory) ASAP.

With the new marketplace feature, we may need a way to flag cards that will be available in the marketplace, rather than just those in a tradelist (what I trade and what I'd sell are two different things).

HikingStick wrote:

Yes, my insurance agent is now concerned because he could visit the site and see my inventory. This needs to change (to at least give members the option of hiding their inventory) ASAP.

With the new marketplace feature, we may need a way to flag cards that will be available in the marketplace, rather than just those in a tradelist (what I trade and what I'd sell are two different things).

Your insurance agent knows about deckbox?

jassi007 wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

Your insurance agent knows about deckbox?

It's how I provide him the valuation of my inventory on a quarterly basis.

Why else would someone put their whole collection on a website?

LovesTha wrote:

Why else would someone put their whole collection on a website?

Inventory management?

Sorry the humour was subtle (some may say microscopic).

But yeah, my entire reason for creating an inventory was so I could have the collection insured.

Kinda hard to hear sarcasm when there's a perfectly legitimate second option wink

I'm hoping will provide us with the ability to make our inventories private soon. I can always export my inventory to send it to my insurance rep (I typically do that anyway, since that's the only way I can add notes about specific cards).  My primary concern is showing my entire listed inventory to the world--it would only take one person with malicious intent a minimum of effort to gather a list of names and addresses (available to anyone who trades with a partner--not sure what is visible yet for those with seller accounts) to target for burglary. There'd be little chance of tracing the stolen goods, unless WotC has been secretly marking cards with microdots, or embedding RFID technology in them for decades (NOT!).

I would like this option as well. I would hope that something can be done I know that the market place has been released recently as well as the pricing issues as well. (Awesome progress so far on a very short time frame by the way.)

Hi,
Is there an update on this topic?

labyrinthinv wrote:

Hi,
Is there an update on this topic?

Will be released tommorow.

Thank you!