Topic: Sneaky Blue Humans (FNM)

So, I've made a habit of creating a new deck for FNM every time that I've gone, partially because I like playing different things and partially because I don't want to be somebody who just net-decks.  But, if this deck plays like I hope it does, then that might change, because I like the way it feels.  That fact is very odd, because I generally don't play any form of control, or blue in general for that matter.

Here's the deck: http://deckbox.org/sets/210931

The general idea of the deck is a combination of artifacts and being entirely unblockable. 
There's a trio of blue humans that get the job done: Blighted Agent, Invisible Stalker and Neurok Invisimancer
All of them are pretty cheap, and all of them are unblockable.  Additionally, each one brings something unique to the table, but all serve the same end goal: Suit up and do some major damage.

The major damage comes from a series of equipment that makes use of these creatures in one way or another.
Silver-Inlaid Dagger will pump all of my unblockable humans by 3 power to deal quite a bit of damage.
Elbrus, the Binding Blade paired with unblockability is just a nightmare for any opponent, because that's an instant 13/13 coming at them the next turn if they don't have any removal.

Also, throwing in a set of Grand Architects really steps up the pressure in a couple ways.

1. They pump my already unblockable humans

2. They enable very quick and numerous equips

And he also allows a lot of other big artifacts to come out quickly, like Wurmcoil Engine.

As far as I can tell, the best series of plays would go something like this:
T1: Island, Silver-Inlaid Dagger
T2: Island, Blighted Agent
T3: Island, Grand Architect, Tap Architect to equip dagger on agent, Attack for 5 poison
T4: Attack, GG

Obviously that assumes no interruption, which isn't going to happen in most games, which is why I also include a bunch of other things to keep things under control, like Vapor Snag and Mana Leak.  But, at this point, I haven't really played the deck, so I'm not entirely sure how it is going to work out.  A very obvious addition to the deck is to add in Delver of Secrets, seeing that he is indeed a human, but I don't think I employ enough control to allow for that, and I'm not sure that I want to mix things up to make that a viable option.

Part me also wants to shift things even more to the artifact side and include some Trading Posts, but I don't think I'm going to go down that road quite yet.  Maybe a different deck.  Another artifact that I thought about including was Butcher's Cleaver, but it was pretty spendy and I wasn't sure that it was worth it or not.  Plus, I don't actually own any, somehow. smile

I don't know what else to say about it.  Does anybody have any thoughts for improvements before I take it out on Friday?

Last edited by NullParameter (2012-08-22 21:48:30)

Re: Sneaky Blue Humans (FNM)

It all looks good to me accept I feel like there's not much point in having  the Treasure mages and Wurmcoil in there, you'll either have an unblockable swinging for game and if not a Wurmcoil probably won't help you out, I'd say you're better off with Mana Leaks and IDK if the mages are even worth it to bring out elbrus...

imsully2 wrote:

It all looks good to me accept I feel like there's not much point in having  the Treasure mages and Wurmcoil in there, you'll either have an unblockable swinging for game and if not a Wurmcoil probably won't help you out, I'd say you're better off with Mana Leaks and IDK if the mages are even worth it to bring out elbrus...

Yeah, I might drop the big artifact idea once I get to test it out a bit.  Maybe move it even more towards the Human side with some more cheap/effective equipment and run more control, possibly making Elbrus a one-of.

Thanks for the comment.

Mass Appeal could actually prove useful in there too.  Especially if you drop the artifact diggers.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Mass Appeal could actually prove useful in there too.  Especially if you drop the artifact diggers.

Yep, I already had it in the sideboard as a "maybe" card.  Definitely a possibility, depending upon how things shift in the deck.

It would seem great minds think alike as they say.  wink

Well, I actually got a chance to play this last night, and it did some good work and actually turned a few heads.
Most people were hardly aware of Silver-Inlaid Dagger, or that Blighted Agent and Invisible Stalker were humans to boot.

Ended up getting to the Top 8, but then got crushed by some very terrible draws and some crazy black control + Sword of War and Peace.  But that match ended up with both of us going through half of our decks because I was able to drag it out long enough, mainly through the use of a few Pristine Talismans (such a beast card).

What started out as an idea of a way to actually use Elbrus, the Binding Blade, has turned into a pretty substantial and relatively powerful deck, and I'll be making a fair amount of changes based on feedback here and from those at my LGS (we have a few competitive players that thought it was a really unique and awesome build).

Main changes will be to drop Elbrus, the Binding Blade, Solemn Simulacrum and Neurok Invisimancer, at a minimum, and including a whole lot more control, because that is what the deck was really missing when it counted.  When a Bonfire of the Damned or a Black Sun's Zenith comes out, I really need to be able to respond in some way.  I'll probably also look for some other humans to include in the mix, and then maybe make use of Mass Appeal, because I can go through a hand very quickly if I have lots of artifacts to play out with the Grand Architect's ability.

I'll definitely be working on this some more to be used for next week. big_smile

Oh yeah, and I won a couple of packs, out of which I pulled a Tamiyo, the Moon Sage. cool