Topic: RTR Thoughts?

The season of spoilers is upon us.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/articl … avnica/cig

Is it just me or are some of these just SICK?

Re: RTR Thoughts?

Definitely not just you.  I'm very much looking forward to opening up a box of RTR, but now I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what I want to play, because all of the guilds actually look really good.

NullParameter wrote:

Definitely not just you.  I'm very much looking forward to opening up a box of RTR, but now I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what I want to play, because all of the guilds actually look really good.

I'm glad that I think every pack I open will be exciting and worthwhile but as far as the Pre-Release I'm thinking I'll probably wonder what if I had picked another guild no matter what I pick since I'll wish I had gotten other cards, lol (Accept maybe Azorious, not too impressed by Detain as a mechanic and UW aren't my colors.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

The season of spoilers is upon us.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/articl … avnica/cig

Is it just me or are some of these just SICK?

Definitely.
Here's a few more spoilers:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … amp;type=1

Makes me anxious for the other 5 guilds.

Shahrazad - Yo Dawg! We know how much you like playing MTG, so we put a game of MTG in your game of MTG!

imsully2 wrote:

I'm glad that I think every pack I open will be exciting and worthwhile but as far as the Pre-Release I'm thinking I'll probably wonder what if I had picked another guild no matter what I pick since I'll wish I had gotten other cards, lol (Accept maybe Azorious, not too impressed by Detain as a mechanic and UW aren't my colors.

Really?  You don't like Detain?  I'm not a UW player either, usually, but I think detain is a very interesting idea.  It is powerful, in that it allows you to possibly lock down their main forces for one turn, but not too overpowered, because there isn't any actual removal done.  The thought of combining Detain with all of the flickering effects from AVR just blows my mind.

I'm with imsully on Detain as being weak relative to the other mechanics thus far.  I mean have you seen overload?  Not only has Mizzium Mortars made Searing Spear completely worthless, but the fact that either it or Street Spasm can produce Bonfire of the Damned results for just a few more mana... include Goblin Electromancer to reduce the cost of those spells, and you can see where an entire deck of Bonfire effects isn't too far off (although they likely made overload to control the demand for bonfires).

TyWooOneTime wrote:

I'm with imsully on Detain as being weak relative to the other mechanics thus far.  I mean have you seen overload?  Not only has Mizzium Mortars made Searing Spear completely worthless, but the fact that either it or Street Spasm can produce Bonfire of the Damned results for just a few more mana... include Goblin Electromancer to reduce the cost of those spells, and you can see where an entire deck of Bonfire effects isn't too far off (although they likely made overload to control the demand for bonfires).

I'd disagree.  First off, Searing Spear can target a player, while Mizzium Mortars cannot, which can be a huge advantage in lots of situations.  And, while I agree that Overload is amazing, I don't think that the additional 6 mana required to utilize it on the Mortars will be used all that often in constructed play.

Detain can lock down blockers for a big attack, or even a planeswalker before it can go ultimate.  If some Golgari is using a bunch of abilities on creatures like Jarad, then they could possibly be hosed for the rest of the game if you are able to keep detaining the creatures that they're depending on.

I'll agree that the mechanic itself isn't as immediately changing of the board state, that doesn't mean that it can't make a huge impact.

NullParameter wrote:
TyWooOneTime wrote:

I'd disagree.  First off, Searing Spear can target a player, while Mizzium Mortars cannot, which can be a huge advantage in lots of situations.  And, while I agree that Overload is amazing, I don't think that the additional 6 mana required to utilize it on the Mortars will be used all that often in constructed play.

Detain can lock down blockers for a big attack, or even a planeswalker before it can go ultimate.  If some Golgari is using a bunch of abilities on creatures like Jarad, then they could possibly be hosed for the rest of the game if you are able to keep detaining the creatures that they're depending on.

I'll agree that the mechanic itself isn't as immediately changing of the board state, that doesn't mean that it can't make a huge impact.

I don't think that the revealed overload cards are nearly as good as they seem, I mean think about facing a Mana Dork deck with either overload or a Bonfire, at worst bonfire for 3 kills every mana dork but it costs tons to kill all of them with overload, I think it's a really cool idea and I'm pretty excited about it for my EDH decks but for standard constructed, I don't see it making much of a splash without some sort of mythic one of that's actually good (Like Huntmaster for werewolves)

Detain however I'll stick to my original statement, the cards that use it just don't do enough, Tamiyo's +1 is good because it's repeatable without a negative consequence, that's when this type of ability is good (See frost titan) however I'm not sure if something that's 7 cmc across 2 colors without having a huge body is going to be playable especially since frost titan wasn't even played that much.

I personally like unleash, it's a perfect fit for the Rakdos guild's aggro, and black's sacrifice for power, you risk yourself for the chance to hurt your opponent more, my only issue is that none of the cards I see are that impressive

As a side note what are people's fav cards that are spoiled, Mine are the Hypersonic Dragon, Rakdos's Return, and Niv-Mizzet Dracogenious and the most disappointing is the new Jace, I love non-standard formats which he was clearly designed for but his utter unplayability in standard bugs me a little bit.

I'm looking forward to pairing Jace 4.0 with an Omniscience in my deck.  Get him to his ultimate and it's a free Omniscience and the best card in their deck.  Can't lose there.  I will admit his +1 and -2 are pretty weak though.  And man, I do wish they'd knocked one off so he wasn't clogging up the already crowded 4-drop in blue.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

I'm looking forward to pairing Jace 4.0 with an Omniscience in my deck.  Get him to his ultimate and it's a free Omniscience and the best card in their deck.  Can't lose there.  I will admit his +1 and -2 are pretty weak though.  And man, I do wish they'd knocked one off so he wasn't clogging up the already crowded 4-drop in blue.

My issue with that is that I feel like by the time that you're up to his ultimate you should already have enough mana to hardcast Omniscience and he doesn't really buy you much time, especially since I play exalted he just doesn't seem too effective, I know they didn't want another Mind Sculptor but still

I would say im pretty stoked for chromantic lantern. Ramp and mana fixing on 1 card is just awesome. Im glad someone else thinks this jace is mediocre at best. I like him better than memory adept (ESP the pic) but he's just not really what I hoping for

I think Jace 4.0 is alright.  I think there will be other things in Izzet's colors that will work with him, as I can't see where Wizards would make their favorite son totally irrelevant.  I can still see where his ultimate is a game winner, but you need to have something BIG to drop with it.  My first thought was Omniscience, but I can definitely see where you could toss in others like Avacyn, Griselbrand, Stormtide Leviathan, or even game winning spells.

I REALLY like Chromatic Lantern.  The fact it will remove/reduce much of the need to drop a lot of money for all those duals is nice.  Add in the fact it fixes those situations where all you're drawing is one color when all you need is the other... yeah.  It also makes Door to Nothingness potentially standard playable (go figure).

I'm also thinking Hypersonic Dragon will see some play.  I could see where it pairs with Worldfire as it can be played on the stack like an instant, letting you hit the opponent for one, stack Worldfire so it will resolve first, and thanks for the game.

Someone just pointed out to me that Jace 4.0's ultimate pairs with Worldfire quite well, as you can cast it from your deck at no cost and then cast the card from their deck for an easy win.  If they have a damage spell, DONE.  If they have a creature with haste, DONE.  Hell, even a normal creature and they're done.

I still don't think that Jace will see any standard play, not competitively at least, while he is fun and can be pretty dang good I think that without a way like proliferate to get him to his ultimate faster, he probably won't see any play. Worldfire would only kill if the other damage spell was not an instant since an instant would in fact go on the stack before the Worldfire, but the concept is interesting

Oh I'll agree, we're going to just see the same Delver whatnot with tiny tweaks in mainstream play.  But c'mon now, how many of my decks are mainstream wink.

It'll be interesting to see the rulings on his ultimate ability, because it doesn't say WHEN you can cast them or how it all works.  For instance, what if I pull a Strangleroot Geist out of the opponent's deck and Worldfire out of mine.  Since they're both sorcery speed, if I opt for Worldfire first and Strangleroot second, he would enter the game after the fire resolves and I can swing for the win, right?  Or do the spells resolve simultaneously since it's a product of his ability?

I'm also loving the Golgari combos... Worldspine Wurm + Corpsejack Menace + Jarad + Death's Presence... yeah... you have a 15/15 trample... sack him to Jarad, they lose 15 life, you get 30! +1/+1 counters, and three 5/5 trample wurm tokens... that's just SICK

Last edited by TyWooOneTime (2012-09-05 03:49:46)