Topic: 3D & Altered Art cards:

I've recently picked up the hobby of making altered art MTG cards, and thought I'd share a few that I've done with the community. 

I plan on making a few more, and update this thread as I progress. I may consider taking commissions once my skills are honed enough with practice. smile

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x279/KHZspeed/Web/100_0593.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x279/KHZspeed/Web/100_0601.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x279/KHZspeed/Web/100_0603.jpg
Signed by me smile

Hope you find some enjoyment in my work, Please share any alterations you've done too!

Re: 3D & Altered Art cards:

These look sweet!

Out of curiosity, are the cards actually 3D or are they the same/near the same thickness as a regular card?

imsully2 wrote:

These look sweet!

Out of curiosity, are the cards actually 3D or are they the same/near the same thickness as a regular card?

I'm still working on building my skills, but there are about five layers in each card, and measure roughly 15 cards thick.
Takes about three hours of labor per card and two dollars of material excluding the cost of the cards themselves.

Last edited by Monolith (2012-10-02 23:49:00)

Just a thought, I bet it would look awesome if you used foil backgrounds, especially if you usually use basic lands

imsully2 wrote:

Just a thought, I bet it would look awesome if you used foil backgrounds, especially if you usually use basic lands

I thought about it, but wasn't sure how the foil layers would react to being cropped.
although a full foil 3D pop-out card would be cool.

I'm currently working on making one for my EDH General smile I will post those photos once I am finished.

Wow, these look pretty cool! Nice work.

Yep, these are pretty awesome.  Great work!  I always thought about trying this, but I don't think I have the talent nor the patience.

For your commander, do you plan to keep an extra copy around, in case it gets shuffled into your library?

NullParameter wrote:

Yep, these are pretty awesome.  Great work!  I always thought about trying this, but I don't think I have the talent nor the patience.

For your commander, do you plan to keep an extra copy around, in case it gets shuffled into your library?

Thank you everybody for your appreciation smile

I do alterations only on cards I have multiples of anyways. far as my Generals go "Cromat& Maelstrom Wanderer" I've always  kept them separate from the decks, and stored in thicker top-loader sleeves. oppose to having them mixed in with the rest of the cards.

Monolith wrote:

far as my Generals go "Cromat& Maelstrom Wanderer" I've always  kept them separate from the decks, and stored in thicker top-loader sleeves. oppose to having them mixed in with the rest of the cards.

I mean, what if somebody plays a Terminus (or something similar) and your general gets mixed into your deck?

Do you do them on foamboard? They look really cool.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

NullParameter wrote:
Monolith wrote:

far as my Generals go "Cromat& Maelstrom Wanderer" I've always  kept them separate from the decks, and stored in thicker top-loader sleeves. oppose to having them mixed in with the rest of the cards.

I mean, what if somebody plays a Terminus (or something similar) and your general gets mixed into your deck?

If he's doing this to his general, that would indeed make it hard to shuffle. It would probably be against the rules (maybe not officially (don't know commander rules as I don't play it), but some would oppose it)

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

Sillvva wrote:

If he's doing this to his general, that would indeed make it hard to shuffle. It would probably be against the rules (maybe not officially (don't know commander rules as I don't play it), but some would oppose it)

So long as he has the actual card with him, he likely can use a proxy for the card and then swap out the 3D card once in play (the commander in the command zone).

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:
Sillvva wrote:

So long as he has the actual card with him, he likely can use a proxy for the card and then swap out the 3D card once in play (the commander in the command zone).

Yep, that's what I assumed, which is why I asked if he kept an extra copy around.

Great work on the cards. Did you think about doing altered art/extended maybe full card arts? I know the talent and the work is different for them, but I think many people would appreciate them ass well (maybe more because the card thickness is playable)

Also on the commander problem, it is a good practice to have your commander or in different sleeves or large card or some way you can differentiate it so you don't accidentally shuffle it into your library, put it into your graveyard, etc. but because of the aforementioned shuffle effect you need to have a regular size commander as well with a normal sleeve so if needed you can put it into your library.
(also I vaguely remember reading something that they want to change to rules so in case the commander should be shuffled into a library it is exiled instead - which mean you can have it go back to the commander zone - but as far as I know the rules are not changed yet)