Topic: average price less than minimum price?

I don't understand how these prices are working. https://deckbox.org/mtg/Paper%20Tiger?printing=13385 has an average price of $0.97 and a minimum price of $1.52.

Re: average price less than minimum price?

Sebi hasn't told us exactly what is in the pricing algorithm(s), but for sure the price of sold cards is a factor. It's possible that a (or multiple) copy of Paper Tiger was sold for less than 97c, bringing the average down. Of course it's also possible that Paper Tiger just needs to be hit with the pricing algorithm again.

It would be a disaster if average prices automatically adjusts to minimum prices, because then if there was an abnormally-low minimum price and sellers pegged their prices to it, then they would incur major losses. It seems odd but there needs to be some sort of price memory.

Coming at it from the other end, I see something like https://deckbox.org/mtg/Cerulean%20Wisps?printing=4593 where the average price is $1.30 but the current prices are pennies.

Last edited by preypacer (2014-11-14 21:45:19)

We also have external price sources like amazon and ebay, and other partners.

The average price has to reflect as accurate a value as possible for users who are trading. If it was based on just the listed cards, anyone could manipulate prices when they are the only seller.

Perhaps the phrasing is wrong, "average" is misleading.

sebi wrote:

Perhaps the phrasing is wrong, "average" is misleading.

Yeah it is.  You should just call it "deckbox market price" or "price index" or something.  But whatever it is, if it's not an "average" of anything (as in add them all up and divide by how many there are) then you shouldn't call it that.

one thing i have noticed today is that sometimes the average price is due to the only price listed on this site. I saw that Narset, Enlightened Master prerelease card had an average price of $18.50 (which is more than $10 higher than other sites like ebay) and the person that had the card for trade was selling it for $18.50. that seems a bit odd to me.