Topic: Phenax EDH

Need a suggestion for 100th card for my Phenax Commander https://deckbox.org/sets/799715?v=v  looking for some kind of mana ramp in blue black or another good spell

Re: Phenax EDH

I like Pact of Negation in every blue EDH deck.

pact of negation is good, people don't play around it, but it eats up almost a whole turn

It also sort of saves you a turn because you can play something on your turn without having to hold up counter magic.  I can see what you mean, but you could also say that holding up mana for another counterspell you have eats up a turn.  Anyways, I like it for exactly the reason you pointed out: people dont play around it- whereas with other counterspells they see you have blue mana up and may act differently.

Or of you're looking for a creature, Siren of the Silent Song (Born of the Gods, #155) is a nice choice.

siren is good but is has small toughness although it is hand attack too
that is true for pact but in this deck it eats to much mana after i use it i have so many high drops   plus secret tech blazing through a turn and leaving up dual land make people less suspicious of counters

Crypt Ghast will double your swamps.  Or Guiltfeeder might be good in a mill deck.  Also, Animate Dead is a classic - cheap at 2 mana, and you'll likely find good targets.

Also was wondering if you'd considered Mesmeric Orb. Or if you need some more draw, Underworld Connections.

He can't use Crypt Ghast because it has a white mana symbol - that was my first thought for black ramp until I realized that.

Varda wrote:

He can't use Crypt Ghast because it has a white mana symbol - that was my first thought for black ramp until I realized that.

Crypt Ghast will work. The white mana symbol is only in the reminder text for Extort. The color identity rules do not look at reminder text. Of course, certain playgroups may rule differently.

Yeah - it's a pretty sweet ruling - because crypt ghast is best in mono-black, of course.

Another ramp option is Dreamscape Artist. 

Also if you're looking at milling, the Tombstone Stairwell/Altar of Dementia combo works like a charm.  I imagine that one will  double the size of the bullseye on your back though.

My Tradelist          My Wishlist
Work hard, play harder, rest easy.

tomb stone stairwell doesn't work to well because my opponents will get much more value than me

Lord_Murray wrote:

tomb stone stairwell doesn't work to well because my opponents will get much more value than me

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ … +stairwell

Not necessarily, each player gets the Zombie tokens every upkeep so you can combo out every turn.  Mill the active player during their upkeep, then they lose during the draw step.  Or if you have the Stairwell out before the Altar, Glacial Chasm can hold the hordes back.

My Tradelist          My Wishlist
Work hard, play harder, rest easy.