Topic: Minimum Order Price

So I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I think it would be quite helpful to be able to set a minimum order value as a seller.

What's happened to me a few times is someone will buy 25 cents worth of cards, then pay 2.50 for shipping+tracking. Their money, so if they want to do that, good on them. The problem is, PayPal has no way of differentiating what part of a cost was actual "profit" per se, so they just charge their cut based on the whole thing, so I actually end up losing money, not to mention wasting my time.

I've seen some users get around this by just setting  an unnecessarily high shipping cost, and then discounting orders that are large enough, but that seems really roundabout and troublesome.

Would be great to just have the option of setting a minimum order price. Or, even better, do it as part of the shipping options - i.e. where you set maximum card counts for various shipping options, also set a minimum value, so if someone's order is below the minimum they simply won't be able to select a particular shipping option.

Thoughts?

Re: Minimum Order Price

This has indeed been requested a few times, and it is clearly a problem for sellers.

I have been reluctant to add it though since it discourages buyers from purchasing cards and creates frustrations on that side.

If I want to create a deck for example, and there's a single seller with a bulk rare that I want, for 50cents, and that's the last card I need, I'll be willing to pay the 3$ shipping because I really need that specific card. If I'd then see that he does not ship orders under 5-10$, I would be upset.

This is the scenario I wanted to avoid... I am not sure yet which is the correct choice here, or if there is some middle ground solution...

you could have a dynamic shipping cost set by the seller.

if (cardCount < 3){
  shipCost = cost1
}else{
  shipCost = cost2
}

and then the seller could set both shipping costs accordingly.

I don't know how your shopping cart works but it seems valid that when they go to checkout or when they add something to their cart that the shipping cost is calculated

Last edited by GeekMagicWarp (2016-02-04 13:12:50)

So that's basically what I was thinking with minimum prices per shipping option. If your order is <$1, you can't do tracking, but you can still do plain white envelope, for example.

I think sebi's point still stands there though because some sellers could literally just not offer a shipping option with no minimum.

This is probably dangerous, but maybe create a shipping option that's always there for everyone and can't be disabled, which would be up to 6 cards in a PWE with no minimum, priced at like 50 cents (current cost of a stamp plus a few pennies for an envelope)? I know it's getting into gray area with creating something that sellers have to offer, but it also seems like a reasonable option to have anyway. Obviously this only works in the US, maybe Canada (not sure what their post is like), but that's probably the majority of buyers and sellers anyway.

Alternatively you could just encourage people to offer that option without requiring it. Sure, some sellers will just set a minimum order value on everything. The thing is, some sellers already do that anyway. They just write in their profile that they don't do orders under $5, for example, and then just cancel and refund anything else. It's just more of a headache for everyone. Or, as I mentioned, they'll just set a higher shipping cost, since that can't be avoided, and then apply discounts.

Ultimately I think that sellers that run into this problem frequently enough will find a way around it anyway, but it would be nice to have an officially supported way that reduces the headache for everyone involved.

My suggestion would be to do the same as TCGPlayer and require a $1 minimum, not including shipping. That way it's not much of a hassle for the buyer and the seller shouldn't be losing any money. We certainly still won't like tiny orders like that, but if we're listing cheap cards we have to expect it.

Alternatively, make the criteria of the sellers' shipping options mandatory. I personally have several shipping options at different prices for different amounts of cards. Just make it so that the cart will only display the shipping options that apply to the cards in the cart. For example, I offer free shipping for up to 8 cards in a pwe, or up to 30 cards in a bubble mailer. If someone has 10 cards in their cart the pwe option should not be enabled/available.

Could this feature be added for trades as well?
From reading profiles I understand that some countries (besides Denmark) has high postage prices, and they all plead that you only offer trades over X amount of $. If possible having the ability in your profile to set a minimum trade/sell amount, and have a visual representation (i.e. making the contra-offer in a red tint or something) would likely waste less peoples time.

You could reduce the cancel/refund portion of "I won't ship under 5 bucks" by creating a metric that tracks how often sellers do that, and create a threshold that, if they go over it, automatically suspends them. TCG player and Amazon both do that.

I think one of the things that needs to be understood is not only is it the case that Deckbox is not TCGPlayer, but Deckbox shouldn't *try* to be TCGPlayer. One of the killer apps of Deckbox is that it has decent collection management features. I would love to list my entire collection for sale using Deckbox's indices. However, I will not do this because I know that if I do, then the only orders I will get will be on cards that are systematically underpriced and that would be shitty for me. A lot of the stuff that's been done to smooth the experience for buyers makes really jumping into Deckbox market risky for sellers. And yes, that's how TCGPlayer does it but that does not mean it would have been unwise for Deckbox to create its own take on sales.

Last edited by 9700377 (2016-02-06 20:52:45)

Sellers should be given the tools to set whatever conditions they like on their sales. If they miss out on sales because of these conditions then that's on them.

The marketplace has MUCH worse hindrances than some sellers making it difficult for Sebi's shopping cart tool...

d72B wrote:

Sellers should be given the tools to set whatever conditions they like on their sales. If they miss out on sales because of these conditions then that's on them.

Perhaps. I might implement the min/max order values for shipping options, and see where it takes us.

The marketplace has MUCH worse hindrances than some sellers making it difficult for Sebi's shopping cart tool...

Would love to hear more about what you think those hindrances are smile