Topic: Feature Request - Location Tags

When adding cards to the database, it would be nice to note where I've decided to place the card.  My collection spans so many binders and 800 count boxes that it becomes impossible to remember if my cards are in the "Jank Rares" box, the "Inexpensive, but useful" box, the Standard binder, or one of the Vintage binders.

This could be a simple as selecting a default location (like my "Unsorted Rares" box) when adding new cards.  Later, when I go back and decide where each needs to go, I can select a new home for it.

A search feature based around this new location tag would be awesome.  I could see at a glance what's in my binders.

Re: Feature Request - Location Tags

Unless you need to label where specific versions of each card is, decks can be used to accomplish this.

I suppose. But there are definitely times when I put the foil in my binder and my non foil in my junk rares.

Plus it would require double entry of all those cards, though maybe there's some way to do it when adding to inventory I've yet to discover.

Yeah. I agree that it would be useful for instances like that. As for the double entry issue, you can just copy a list of the cards after adding them to your inventory (sort by 'last added') from specific locations. That way, you don't have to retype every card name.

I still don't have a great solution for this.  Especially since I don't have a way to "Show in Deck" to see a location.

I have entered about 3500 cards, from 5 binders, and three 800 count boxes.  Being able to search and see where my 8 gitaxian probes are located would be a great help.  I know I have 4 in a deck, but don't know what happened to the other 4.

rlandrum wrote:

I still don't have a great solution for this.  Especially since I don't have a way to "Show in Deck" to see a location.

I have entered about 3500 cards, from 5 binders, and three 800 count boxes.  Being able to search and see where my 8 gitaxian probes are located would be a great help.  I know I have 4 in a deck, but don't know what happened to the other 4.

I just wanted to second this feature. It's the only feature I've request over a year ago, and it's still the feature I miss the most.

hate to be the bearer of bad news rlandrum, but don't hold your breath tongue

feature requests fall into black holes around here.  About a year ago it would atleast get a "it's on the list" type response, but now it's just ignored.

Last edited by physikal (2017-01-20 07:10:30)

physikal wrote:

it's just ignored.

Just because Sebi doesn't respond to every post doesn't mean he ignores them. He has a lot to do for the site and this likely isn't his only job.

Kammikaze wrote:
physikal wrote:

it's just ignored.

Just because Sebi doesn't respond to every post doesn't mean he ignores them. He has a lot to do for the site and this likely isn't his only job.

It's not an intentional knock against Sebi.  I'm sure he's a great guy, and obviously does great work.  But if you look up "ignore":

ig·nore
iɡˈnôr/
verb
refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
"he ignored her outraged question"
synonyms:    disregard, take no notice of, pay no attention to, pay no heed to; More
fail to consider (something significant).
"direct satellite broadcasting ignores national boundaries"
LAW
(of a grand jury) reject (an indictment) as groundless.

Key word "acknowledge".  If we saw regular updates to the site outside of the database updates, and some of those updates included community requested features, then we could assume what you say is correct.  But the fact that there is no acknowledgement, no public road map, lackluster communication about the future.  The perception is that it's ignored.  Again, not a knock, just a perceived reality. 

From a previously paying members perspective, I support the site expecting the money to be re-invested on some level, even if it's a fraction of what I pay.  Even if that re-investment is just communication about what's going on, what's planned (even if it's nothing) is it, I'd be happy. smile

ac·knowl·edge
əkˈnäləj/
verb
accept or admit the existence or truth of.

Acknowledgement does not require declaration.

Kammikaze wrote:
ac·knowl·edge
əkˈnäləj/
verb
accept or admit the existence or truth of.

Acknowledgement does not require declaration.

You could argue that. It is my personal opinion that when you're running a service with paying customers, you should probably take that approach into consideration.  tongue

Just some sort of tag custom field could be useful, granted it were searchable and sortable. Not necessarily just for location but just as a custom field. VARCHAR 16 and take it from there.

PROFILETradelistWishlist

I want to reiterate a currently functional method for storing location info:

1. Create a virtual deck for each location and put them all in one folder.
2. When adding or removing physical cards, do the same for their virtual 'location decks'

• To make finding locations faster, use a naming convention that makes them visually distinctive. For example, I precede each deck name with three hyphens. ( --- Trade Binder #1 ) That way, I can quickly find where the cards are even if the card page has numerous other decks mixed alongside the 'location decks'.

• This same method works for regular decks as well. (I use "!" as a naming convention for those) Also, if you have a large main storage location like me, don't bother creating a deck for it; anything that doesn't have an affiliated 'location deck' can be inferred to be there. Even if it it's split among multiple boxes, as long as there are rules for those splits, (by rarity, set, color, type, foils, etc) it's easy to go straight to the correct box.

• If a location's cards are added to the inventory without a 'location deck', just sort the inventory by date added and narrow down the first and last cards added from that location by checking inventory cards against the physical location. Then, just export that list and add it to the 'location deck'.

• It's often not necessary to remove cards from their 'location deck' if you're trading or selling them. If a card isn't in your inventory, its presence in any 'location decks' can safely be ignored.

Example
Finding where specific versions of cards are can actually be relatively simple. Even in the not-so-simple Fireblast page below, I can determine where each copy is, due to a few organizational rules. I'll explain the process in detail.

Only 10 of the 15 have "---" or "!", so the other 5 must be in my big storage box, (categorized in the 6cmc red instants section) and consequently marked for trade. There are 8 total for trade, so the other 3 can only be in the "---" marked locations (My decked cards are rarely marked for trade). One of those locations is "--- Sealed DD: Jace v [Chandra]---", so clearly 2 of the 3 are there, and they're the 2 JVC versions. The last one for trade should be in the "--- Trade Binder #1", since that only contains tradelisted cards; of the tradelisted versions, the FNM foil seems the most tradeable (i.e. valuable). By process of elimination, the 4 gold-bordered editions and one Visions edition should be in the big box together.

That leaves 7 non-tradelisted Fireblasts: 5 are in regular decks (Goblins and Burn) and 2 are in the only remaining locations: Cube and EDH Foils. I prefer original-printing foils for cube, so that leaves the Fire and Lightning edition foil for the EDH Foils location, and the 5 Visions editions are in Goblins and Burn.

• Deck names can store extra info. If, for some reason, I preferred the F&L edition in cube, I could record that exception in the notes of the Cube 'location deck' and make the name something like "! Cube (non-proxied) *E:Fireblast" with E for Exceptions, or just "! Cube (non-proxied) [Exceptions in notes]" so mousing over the title on the card page would alert me to click through and realize that the cube has a different edition than I would normally prefer.

http://i.imgur.com/sGFzCGQ.png

Second this feature.  Only thing I really want added

BetweenWalls - if that works for you, more power to you, but ideally I'd like something a lot simpler and more user friendly.  I want to click on a card, and easily see which versions are in which location.

infinite_jim wrote:

Second this feature.  Only thing I really want added

BetweenWalls - if that works for you, more power to you, but ideally I'd like something a lot simpler and more user friendly.  I want to click on a card, and easily see which versions are in which location.

I just want to add that I agree 100% with that. That's also what I really want. I tried doing some tagging like BetweenWalls mentioned, but it's cumbersome to enter and to check, not to mention you can't tag cards (or at least editions) individually.

I came here to see if anyone had requested tags before and I see that it's being discussed.

I think tags would be a great addition to Deckbox, not only to tag cards with a physical location to keep track of them.

Tagging cards in my commander decks as "removal", "sweeper" or "mana rock" and be able to sort by them and get a count of how many of a certain tag there is would be enormously helpful when building new decks and optimizing older ones. For example: building a deck around Panharmonicon requires lots of etb-effects from creatures and artifacts (or effects that trigger from creatures and / or artifact entering the battlefield) and being able to tag cards as such for my personal use would just be great. Then getting the number of mana-producing lands vs utility lands, tutors, sweepers and mana rocks would make deck building so much easier.

+1 for this feature. The lack of this feature is the first thing that has me considering not to go for a premium account. Considering I am coming here mostly to manage my collection it would be good to be able to find out where my cards are without having to do semi complicated hacks as BetweenWalls suggested. (Althought it is a good suggestion and thankyou for taking your time to do so.)

+1 for this feature. I'd love to be able to keep track of where various copies of my cards live, and it sounds like my collection isn't nearly as extensive as some of the others requesting this feature. Given the other optional columns, it feels like it'd be pretty straightforward to implement too. Right now I'm still deciding if I want to catalog my collection here, or at echoMTG, or somewhere else. Unfortunately they all seem to have a single big flaw, and no location tag is the flaw at Deckbox.org hmm

Mekonia wrote:

I came here to see if anyone had requested tags before and I see that it's being discussed.

I think tags would be a great addition to Deckbox, not only to tag cards with a physical location to keep track of them.

Tagging cards in my commander decks as "removal", "sweeper" or "mana rock" and be able to sort by them and get a count of how many of a certain tag there is would be enormously helpful when building new decks and optimizing older ones. For example: building a deck around Panharmonicon requires lots of etb-effects from creatures and artifacts (or effects that trigger from creatures and / or artifact entering the battlefield) and being able to tag cards as such for my personal use would just be great. Then getting the number of mana-producing lands vs utility lands, tutors, sweepers and mana rocks would make deck building so much easier.

God I would become a Premium user the second this functionality gets introduced.  I'm currently going through my whole inventory and sorting my cards into throw-away decks just to have some semblance of this, and it's super annoying and cumbersome.

I just wanted to add that I realized that 90% of this functionality already exists in DeckBox. When you go into a specific card in your collection, you can add flags like "Altered", "Misprint", etc. So I would imagine that extending that to allow for a fixed number of user-defined flags would not be a big deal at all (it probably wouldn't even have to change the DB schema).

I'd even be OK if we couldn't name those flags ourselves to start with! Just UserFlag1, UserFlag2,... UserFlag16. Seriously, that would solve 99% of the problem.

In the meanwhile, I've started marking the cards I keep in albums (as opposed in boxes) as "Missprint". That way at least I can find them quickly. I might start taking over some of the other flags to indicate if they're in a cube.

Could also just add the feature to make folders in your inventory, still counting the whole as 1 inventory but with subfolders ---> then i have a subfolder binders with binder 1  23 and boxes 1 2 3 and so on... pretty simple.... no need to have tags on a card (that takes a lot mor time when entering the cards....) just add them to a folder of your inventory and if changed switch folder, for cards in decks you have a folder "in deck" and add it to a decklist....

this is the only thing i miss here and the point why im looking for something else before i put a lot of work into this, unless there is  fast response to this post smile

roxart wrote:

Could also just add the feature to make folders in your inventory, still counting the whole as 1 inventory but with subfolders ---> then i have a subfolder binders with binder 1  23 and boxes 1 2 3 and so on... pretty simple.... no need to have tags on a card (that takes a lot mor time when entering the cards....) just add them to a folder of your inventory and if changed switch folder, for cards in decks you have a folder "in deck" and add it to a decklist....

this is the only thing i miss here and the point why im looking for something else before i put a lot of work into this, unless there is  fast response to this post smile

I like this idea so long as when I'm viewing an inventory at a specific level I am viewing the entire inventory from that point and below.
So I can go to the top level and view ALL my cards and search for something specific and see which inventory it's in.
If I'm looking for something in my junk boxes I can navigate down to junk boxes folder and view just the cards in all the various junk boxes, search for a card and see which specific inventory or box it's actually located in.

My initial thought was you could even have multiple top level inventories for like a trade inventory and a non-trade inventory but really you could just separate that out at the second level. This is really flexible.

Next idea building on this would creating a way to alter the visibility of the various inventories like you can password protect your inventory now. So I could make my trade folder publicly visible but my non-trade folder password protected.

Llopis wrote:

I just wanted to add that I realized that 90% of this functionality already exists in DeckBox. When you go into a specific card in your collection, you can add flags like "Altered", "Misprint", etc. So I would imagine that extending that to allow for a fixed number of user-defined flags would not be a big deal at all (it probably wouldn't even have to change the DB schema).

I'd even be OK if we couldn't name those flags ourselves to start with! Just UserFlag1, UserFlag2,... UserFlag16. Seriously, that would solve 99% of the problem.

In the meanwhile, I've started marking the cards I keep in albums (as opposed in boxes) as "Missprint". That way at least I can find them quickly. I might start taking over some of the other flags to indicate if they're in a cube.

I really like this idea and seems simple enough.  The existing framework is already in place.  Just need to add ability to create custom field.  I would love to see this feature added as well!!! 

Sebi- Could you chime in on what it would take to do this?  How realistic would it be to implement?

Just gonna pop my support for this in here. Trying to make the switch from Delver Lens to Deckbox to be able to manage my collection on a browser and I'm really missing the ability to create lists for cards in different boxes, or really, just any tagging system at all that lets me track where a specific card is.