Topic: Growing frustration with people asking for excess value

I've noticed lately that many traders aren't interested in making even trades.  They just want to rip people off.  Why do they have tradelists and wish lists if they're only interested in value?  They treat trading like a business and it's very annoying.  Maybe I'm naive, but my tradelist is comprised of cards that I'm willing to trade.  A shocking statement I'm sure.  And cards on my wish list are cards I'm actually interested in.  I'm just trying to make even trades for cards I want while dealing away cards I don't want.  Is that so wrong?  There are good people on here and I've worked out a lot of trades recently and it's been great, but the other people I'm describing are really getting on my nerves.  I feel like that sort of behavior shouldn't be allowed.  Does anyone feel similarly or am I way off base?

Re: Growing frustration with people asking for excess value

There definitely are people like that. Just try not to take it personally. If they don't want to trade for equal value, then go ahead and cancel the trade and try to avoid them in the future. I've certainly encountered my fair share of people like that.

It is worth noting, though, that not all cards of currently equal monetary value will necessarily have equal trade value. In general, standard cards aren't worth as much as modern/legacy/edh cards. Also, people may be wary of trading for cards that have recently spiked or trading away cards that they believe will increase in value. I'm not saying that you are initiating trades like this, just felt like pointing it out for anyone that wasn't aware.

I get what you're saying. I've run into it as well. I don't think a policy against it is a good idea, though. There are certainly times where extra value on one side or another is warranted and both parties can come to an agreement. If someone is being a jerk, the problem is with that person and not the system.

Super late to this party, but I'm bored this morning and came across this post.

It's something I've had on my (admittedly lengthy) profile for a while.

I will give up extra value to entice someone reluctant to part with a card. I'll give up extra value if I'm trading up into your reserve list card or something.

But if you say flat out "I don't do any trades where I don't get a 15% premium", you can fuck right off.

They often cite store buylists when I challenge them on that attitude of entitlement. Sure, stores buy low and sell at retail....but think about what a store provides. They give you confidence of dealing with an actual business that can be held accountable for any number of things. They provide a nexus for the community by providing a space for gaming, running events, marketing said events to attract players, etc. You support your local store for the convenience of not having to wait for things to come in the mail, but also because of the intangible value you're purchasing that you might not necessarily notice.

The guy on here claiming to be "a store" and demands a premium? Even if you own a brick and mortar store and this is a sideline (doubtful), so what? Your "store" is 1500 miles away and provides nothing to me beyond the awe-inspiring privilege of trading a card with you.

I'll be honest, I've been working on and off on my own trading site to fix a lot of the flaws I see with systems like Deckbox and PucaTrade. The biggest is lack of feedback options.

My partner is getting her PhD in Behavior Analysis, and one of the FIRST things talked about in the OBM unit of the intro class she teaches is that binary feedback scores are utterly useless. Trade feedback should ideally use a Likert scale, something you're probably very familiar with from any satisfaction survey you've ever taken from a restaurant or whatever: 1 (strongly disagree) -> 4 (neither agree or disagree) -> 7 (strongly agree). Further, there should be more than one metric....overall satisfaction with the trade, trader was easy to deal with, shipping was fast and things packed appropriately, etc.

Especially when deckbox almost never allows negative feedback to be used, a binary positive/neutral/negative is useless. A graded scale and aggregate averages also smooths out anomalies. My own profile has a neutral here and there that were simply retaliatory dings when I had a legitimate complaint about my trade partner and gave justifiable neutral feedback. That only really gets smoothed out when you have a few hundred trades like I do....for most, with under 100 trades, a numerical score is much more helpful.

Lastly, I'd add feedback for attempted deals. How quickly would people be motivated to keep their tradelists in order if constantly turning people down saying "that card isn't actually for trade" resulted in a trend in their feedback that warned others away from dealing with them? This would go hand in hand with the original problem in this post, people demanding trade premiums. Suddenly, there's a feedback trend showing the reason the deal was declined, and you can see most of his trades don't connect because of pricing differences? You know to avoid that guy, he gets fewer trades, and consequences shape a change in behavior.

That's my rant on the matter. It's a problem I see not only on this site but all over, with people sitting down IRL with me at GPs, spending 20 minutes going through each other's binders, only when it comes time to close the deal they suddenly add "well, I only trade if it's in my favor, let me add a few more 'small' things to balance it". It wastes everyone's time. Everyone thinks they're clever playing with cardboard stocks, but really they're just hurting this game and community to squeeze out a negligible profit.

Most of the time, their speculating and flipping cards nets them very little, or often they even lost money, and then they give up; I have a number of people at my LGS who tried it and failed miserably after months of self-delusion that they were making so many imaginary dollars.

My advice in the meantime: Do what I do, make it unambiguously clear that you don't tolerate those people. If no one traded with them, they would go away. It would happen quicker if we had a useful feedback system, but with how primitive this site is, the best we can do is ignore them individually for now.

You raised some interesting points about feedback.  Overall, I definitely love Deckbox.  There are always improvements to be made with trading site, though.  I look forward to seeing your take on it.

It can be annoying, but at the end of the day, it's THEIR deckbox, their cards, their prerogative. If you don't want to give up excess value to trade with them, you don't have to - trading is a two way agreement. I feel like the people on here that only trade if value is in their favor only do it because people are willing to go along with it to be honest. Typically these profiles have a huge variety of cards and are also willing to trade for a huge variety of cards. I've done some of these trades in the past simply because everyone else on deckbox can be very stingy with particular cards whereas these people will trade for just about anything if you give extra value. I've had cards sit on my tradelist for months with NO INTEREST FROM ANYONE  only to then trade a handful of them for one rare card that I really needed. Sure, he got an extra $25 of "value" but I don't tend to buy more expensive cards, so what's the difference if I throw in $25 worth of cards that no one else wants?

Dadbaur hit the nail on the head. The thing that most people don't fully grasp is that value is incredibly subjective. Just because the market values a card at some dollar value, does not mean that card is worth that to everyone. If I'm not building a deck that needs that card, I certainly put very little value in it. Similarly, if there is a card that is in a deck that I am playing, or I need for a deck I want to play, I probably value it above what the market currently has it at as far as trading is concerned at least.

Everyone most likely understands this in the form of cards that are "for trade" and "not for trade", however reducing this to a binary option massively over-simplifies things. If I offer you power for smaller cards that are in your "not for trade" pile, are you going to say no? Almost certainly not. So "not for trade" is not really that, it just means you value those cards enough above market that it's unlikely someone will make you an offer you are interested in. At some point though, everything has a price. For each card, and person, that is going to be different. As such it's not at all unreasonable to assign values to cards in a tradelist or wish list that differ from their market value. Cards that are in high demand, namely duals, fetches, shocks, etc. have an intangible value in that everyone wants them, so there is a high likelihood that when you find someone that has something you really want or need, you can trade these staples for them. Consequently it becomes foolish to trade away these for smaller things that are of lower priority, even if the "value" is even.

In order for a trade to happen, each person has to need or want something from the other. If I have card A, and want B, of equal value, and you have B, but want C of equal value, we can't make a trade happen. Let's add party 3, which has C, and wants A. Unless someone is incredibly astute, and takes note of all 3 parties, and arranges a 3 way trade, no one gets anywhere. Cards only actually have a value when you move them. If they're sitting in a binder, with no one interested in them, then they are effectively worthless. It's up to you what the cost of sitting on that card is waiting for the person that does actually want it, AND has something you want in exchange.

People that trade for value, don't actually need anything from you. They generally don't play, so they aren't trying to complete decks, or play sets, or things like that. There is literally zero reason for them to trade at even value, because trades carry cost, namely postage, and the inherent risk of lost mail or scam. So even trades are, in the long term, a financially losing proposition. It is of my opinion that these traders, similar to stores, actually offer a service to the community, in terms of facilitating liquidity. Without them, far fewer cards move, so it's very likely you end up sitting on cards that have "value", but not to the people that have what you want. I have absolutely traded piles of standard cards, and EDH cards that I am unlikely to ever use, or trade, into duals in the past, and happily gave up 30+% "value" for them.

That said, the few people that I have dealt with in this manner have made it abundantly clear up front that that was how they did business. It was either clearly stated at the start of their profile on here, or they said that before we opened binders, so there were no surprises. I knew what I was paying, I knew what I was getting. Citing some of the earlier examples in this thread, where 20 minutes into the trade someone pulls out the "oh I need some value" is super shady, and I would not be pleased to have that come out of the blue at me.

Long story short, if you want a card you have several options available to you, each with it's own cost.
1.) Buy the card, clear financial cost.
2.) Try to trade for the card evenly, which depending on what you're getting and have to offer, could be a long wait to find someone that needs exactly what you have, potentially a time cost. How badly do you need the card? How much is your time worth to you?
3.) Give up a little bit of financial value for simplicity, by offloading cards that you otherwise have difficulty moving, in exchange for cards that you otherwise have difficulty finding.

To say "it's unfair for some people to trade for profit" or "tradelist means for trade, wishlist means I want it" is an oversimplification that doesn't really do justice to all the many factors that play into how each person values their cards, time, and money.

I think you're missing the point a bit. This isn't about giving up extra value when trading Standard for Duals, this is about people who outright state in their bio "I only trade if I get 15% on top". There's a presumptuous entitlement there that is downright offensive. As I stated previously, there is no justification for demanding you profit from every trade. I'm happy to come to an agreement on values, especially when there are big disparities in what's being traded (though that's why I try to avoid that in the first place and just trade like for like), but when you outright demand tribute for the honor of trading with you because you will only trade when you're making a significant profit in the exchange, you need to fuck off and realize you're not special.

Similarly, this isn't about people who say "Oh I won't trade my Tundra for that set of Chandra." This is people saying "Oh I'm not trading that card at all," yet it's in their tradelist because they just dumped everything in there. It's about trying to find deals and probably 95% of them not working because people's tradelists and wishlists are simply not up to date.

Most traders on here could use a lesson into how to negotiate respectfully. It's sad that I just closed a really tricky deal to get a fellow's foil JPN Treachery (like you said, subjective pricing, but we had a nice back and forth and arrived at a consensus really easily), and I walked away feeling relieved to have dealt with a rational, calm, respectful human being who didn't just dictate "well this website says ___". It took some time and lots of discussion, but we arrived at a mutually agreeable trade where we both walked away happy.

The sad part is that this was an exception rather than the norm, which is why I went from 100+ trades a year to maybe a dozen, it simply isn't worth the frustration anymore sending out proposal after proposal and only 1 in 25 isn't either 1) rejected with no comment as to why, 2) demanding extra value because I only trade if I get tribute, or 3) oh my lists are wrong, I don't need those cards, that card isn't for trade anymore, etc. When it takes hours of trying to get one deal to connect, it makes you not want to bother, so aside from an exception last week, I just sit here and take a trade here or there when others reach out to me instead.

But most of the instances of this rudeness follow directly from the rest of this: They feel entitled to make a profit because they fancy themselves as tycoons of cardboard stock trading, and they take a stance in negotiations that follows suit. Add constantly having to modify trades because their tradelist and wishlist are not even remotely close to accurate (and I'm not even going into grading), and it gets frustrating.

If you want to try to make money flipping cards, I think you're missing the entire point but you're welcome to try. But you're not the first one to think of that, and odds are you're going to fail. Maybe deckbox isn't where you should be trying to conduct that business.

Unfortunately, due to how this site is constructed, there are no real options for those of us who just want to play the game and trade cards other than to have to constantly sift through these people to find good trade partners. Providing feedback on these areas would go a long way toward discouraging so many of these problem behaviors, or at least providing red flags many would love to have in order to know who to avoid.

Sure, they have a right to do these things as this site is now, but we also have the right to be sick to death of wasting our time dealing with people who want to trade like that.

I can absolutely appreciate the frustration. Like I said, if it isn't in someone's profile that they only trade for value, and only bring it up after you've approached them, I agree it's scummy, and a waste of everyone's time. That said, I have completed over 100 trades in the last 8 months. I have yet to have someone tell me in response that they only trade if they're getting value, when it wasn't mentioned in their profile.

I have run into the occasional "Oh, I don't have/need that any more" in fact I've been guilty of it a few times myself. Any of us that actually plays the game will make trades at our LGS, and it can be easy for the lists to get a little out of sync. I try not to get too frustrated when that happens. We're all only human.

I absolutely agree that most people on here (and in person too) could use lessons in respectful negotiation, AND communication. Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet allows people to get away with being rude and uncommunicative. Awesome that you pulled off a difficult negotiation, that does always feel good.

I hear the frustration in the 3 scenarios you mention, but those honestly have not really been my experience at all. I have never had anyone demand extra value, only a few times had someone cancel without at least a courteous "no thanks", and only a few times had someone's lists be out of sync. I typically get a "nah, you don't have anything I'm interested in for that" or the frustrating scenario I most frequently run into, that is arguably as frustrating if not more than the ones you list, are people that are clearly active on here (you can see their last active date, and you can see no message bubble next to the trade you sent to them, so you know they looked at the trade and saw your message) but that never respond or even cancel the trade. I would say probably 2 out of 3 trades I have proposed on here have met that treatment, and that is absolutely infuriating. A metric of seeing people's response rates to trades, and maybe average communication per trade would go a long way in identifying those to avoid because of this.

BaronVonVaderham wrote:

Sure, they have a right to do these things as this site is now, but we also have the right to be sick to death of wasting our time dealing with people who want to trade like that.

I'm one of the people you want to "fuck off." Deckbox is the best inventory management tool I have found and I really like being able to list my cards for sale too. My tradelist is my salelist so I show up when people are using the Trading Opportunities link or browsing individual cards. My preference is to sell cards but I do not decline trades if I'm receiving 25% value. I have this information in my profile and when people open trades with me, I make sure that they understand what I am expecting out of a trade before wasting any more of their time if they didn't read my profile. I absolutely do not want to waste your time or anyone else's. If no one traded with me, I would completely understand and I would be happy to continue using the Marketplace only. I admit that I find it amusing that you think I am a member of the evil speculator cabal working day and night to price children out of Magic the Gathering from my mom's basement, but I assure you that I do not think I am special nor am I trying to hinder anyone from trading efficiently on Deckbox.

I believe there is a feature for premium members to block profiles they don't wish to interact with. That's the best way I can think of for you to save some time. There is also Cardsphere and Pucatrade; Trading platforms with no negotiation at all. Do you have any suggestions for something I can do to make sure I don't waste anyone's time beyond putting my policies in my profile?

It puts you way ahead of most, but I honestly can't understand the presumption that you're entitled to additional value to trade with you. I'm willing to give my LGS margin on buylist deals because I see returns on that extra expense in the form of the community they foster. I get literally nothing for giving someone extra value just to trade with them through this platform.

But the fact that you at least put that in your profile so I can know up front to not even bother is infinitely more than most do, and does in fact save me time in that I would read that, say "fuck that guy", and close the tab. It's when it's not there and they just add a message, "Oh, btw..." to a trade that it's a dick move, since now I've invested time and energy into looking up proper pricing (because this site shot itself in the foot and lost its TCGPlayer API access in the dumbest move I have ever seen).

I may not like you, and may wish you would stop cluttering up this platform with your nonsense, but at least if you're up front about it on your profile the rest of us can just skip over you and not end up wasting our time.

It's not exclusive to this platform either, I run into it all the time at GPs where people will spend 10 minutes pulling things out of binders, then start trying to sneak in that they're looking to turn a profit. It's a classic used car salesman tactic, set up the sunk cost and make them want to not walk away without a completed deal.

PucaTrade used to be great, but it's really gone downhill in the last year and a half. I dumped a bunch of stuff on there this summer, not knowing how much things had shifted....it took me 4 months just to get some standard garbage back, and I still have like 10k points sitting there doing nothing. Apparently almost all trading is now organized as "recip" via Discord, which I think entirely defeats the purpose (like you said, no negotiation, and no need to find a perfect match of haves vs wants). Two years ago when I first tried Puca I had to keep putting myself on vacation mode for a few days at a time because I couldn't keep points in my ledger for more than an hour to save up for a bundle of cards.

I have been intrigued by CardSphere, which seems to be going for what PucaTrade was supposed to be. It's just really young so I'm watching it to see what happens before I get into it.

It's sad that this interface is the bets for inventory management, because speaking as a software engineer, it's painful to use and look at (I can't stop laughing that they hide a mobile friendly interface behind a paywall in 2017). But hey, it's what we have for now, and I will eventually get off my ass and finish writing my own. If not to facilitate trading at first, I at least want a better inventory tool with so many more features that I wish deckbox had.....starting with a modern layout that doesn't look like it's from 2004.

(side note: full of disappointed amusement that I can drag the text box resizer outside of the container)

He's entitled to do whatever he wants. People are also entitled to trade with him if they want despite him needing "value." If it works for him, it works. Just ignore those few and trade with other people if you don't like it. If no one traded with those people, it would probably stop.

Dadbauer wrote:

Just ignore those few and trade with other people if you don't like it.

This is the entire point of everything I've been saying that you evidently haven't read. This one guy, sure, has it right there in his profile, easy to find. But that is the exception, not the rule, so at this point I don't want to bother trying to initiate trades when 95% of the time it's a giant waste of my time.

I don't think you know what the word "entitled" means.

But if he's allowed to say he's entitled to additional value, I'm also allowed to call people out on what, to most, is saying, "I deserve extra value because I want it." I think anyone who has the balls to demand tribute like that is a shitty person that's hurting the magic community, pure and simple, and the fact that most aren't up front about it makes it hard to avoid them.

Obviously I'm one of these value traders. Maybe *the* value trader on this site and some others.

Let me relay a story. I started off here when I got into Magic again during Theros block. I was a poor grad student and wanted to trade my draft cards into a Pod deck. Which meant I needed Noble Hierarchs. Those ran about $70 at the time, but guess what no one would trade those $70 Hierarchs for 10 $7 Temples or whatever. People didn't want to "trade down". People didn't want to trade "standard for modern", etc. I eventually got the Hierarchs through various channels, and then Pod was banned.

At that point I decided that I pivoted would be the guy who would trade you Hierarchs for your standard cards. Yes I would ask for extra value. Because this recognizes the obvious fact that tcg mid prices do not reflect individual valuations for cards and people who would willingly trade value when baselined to a market index derived from a very different dynamic (sales) are not naive or being subject to exploitation. They're often doing the best that they can. And so I'm simply a tool that people can use to achieve the inventory transformations you want, at a price.

I'm "entitled" to this extra value because because I'm providing a service that requires a substantial amount of time and money investment - I need to keep my inventory updated, I need to prepare packages, I need to pay shipping fees. I have a day job and the margins I make do not really justify the amount of time I put into this - it's still largely a community service and not a profitable endeavor. If you reduce those margins than I quit the site. If I quit the site then who wins? Certainly not the people with whom I've completed over 1000 trades with on those terms. I don't have a store but this is exactly the sort of argument that an LGS would use to defend the notion that it should be able to charge margins that allows it to pay its employees and keep the lights on.

I'm not looking to shark anyone. My terms are upfront because I don't want to waste anyone's time. I let people come to me with offers. I am 100% comfortable ethically with what I'm doing and I think those who would not merely avoid me but actively castigate me are extremely misguided with whatever trade ethics that they're trying to promote. Again, the alternative to me doing what I'm not doing is that I suddenly decide to trade Noble Hierarchs for Temples (or Noble Hierarchs for Kaladesh fastlands in 2017..), it's that I just quit trading on here. If you think that would represent an improvement for the community than I think you really need to question your values. If you wouldn't trade your Hierarch for 10 temples but you would trade it for 15 and you propose this option, this doesn't make you a monster.

I think there is a line to draw between "good" value trading and "bad" value trading but people seem to draw it very reluctantly, perhaps because people believe that admitting that the former is possible somehow provides cover for people who do the latter.

Last edited by 9700377 (2017-12-14 07:53:09)

9700377 wrote:

Obviously I'm one of these value traders. Maybe *the* value trader on this site and some others.

I'm "entitled" to this extra value because because I'm providing a service that requires a substantial amount of time and money investment - I need to keep my inventory updated, I need to prepare packages, I need to pay shipping fees. I have a day job and the margins I make do not really justify the amount of time I put into this - it's still largely a community service and not a profitable endeavor. If you reduce those margins than I quit the site. If I quit the site then who wins? Certainly not the people with whom I've completed over 1000 trades with on those terms. I don't have a store but this is exactly the sort of argument that an LGS would use to defend the notion that it should be able to charge margins that allows it to pay its employees and keep the lights on.

So, I dont want to quote the whole thing you wrote, but in a nutshell, I do agree with you on the aspect you have outlined. I think obviously that if you are trading away Modern/Legacy/high end stuff for a bunch of standard stuff that will go down in price, yes you, and everybody should be able to ask for a bit of extra value, I am completely ok with this as I have done it.

What I dont get or condone (but I dont blame anyone or think differently of them) is the people that ask for this same premium when trading Modern for Modern/high end card for high end. These people are what I dont understand why they are asking extra for those trades. We are trading cards that have basically the same value. I think these are the people that most users complain about.

These is just my two cents. People are going to trade how they want, and as long as they are upfront about it, I dont fault them.

valdor wrote:

What I dont get or condone (but I dont blame anyone or think differently of them) is the people that ask for this same premium when trading Modern for Modern/high end card for high end. These people are what I dont understand why they are asking extra for those trades. We are trading cards that have basically the same value. I think these are the people that most users complain about.

These is just my two cents. People are going to trade how they want, and as long as they are upfront about it, I dont fault them.

I think one implicit assumption in some of these scenarios is that both sides value the cards on their wishlist at more than what's on their tradelists. So a proposal should represent a win-win scenario at roughly even amounts and there's no need to squabble over who splits the surplus - just call it even.

That's not the case for me. If I have a playset of Snapcasters on my tradelist and you offer me a playet of Bobs on my wishlist I'm just going to see $200 in value on both sides of the trade and have no reason to accept it and incur the costs/risks associated with negotiation/shipping/whatever. I'd actually flip the entitlement argument around here - the person proposing the trade is not *entitled* to me finding it desirable just because the values are even on tcgmid. And if I don't find it desirable and so you offer me extra to induce acceptance, how is that wrong?

I just throw out a figure up front (30%) to streamline the entire process. I originally started at 20% but went up over time because managing trades on various platforms was basically becoming a part-time job and that's not something I'm going to do for free.

Last edited by 9700377 (2017-12-14 23:58:57)