Topic: Counterfeit Card Sent to Me

Hello all, looking for a bit of other perspectives here. 

Set up a trade (~$360 value)  involving some reserve list cards with a brand new deckbox user (2 trades to his/her name).  Accordingly, I requested he send first and he complied.
Among the cards he sent was a Lion's Eye Diamond.  Turns out the LED is a counterfeit.  I let him know and his last communication all but explicitly stated he didn't know the LED was a fake.  I stated I would extend him the benefit of the doubt since he was unaware of the condition, send him back the card, and stated we needed to adjust the trade accordingly.  Since then (8/16/18), it's been radio silence.  I WANT to approach this extending him the benefit of the doubt, but his lack of communications over the last couple of days coupled with his lack of a profile page and real name has me kind of wondering what to do.  I would hate to be in his spot and unknowingly send somebody a fake LED as this would very well ruin my trading rep.  Thinking of it from the scam perspective worries me more... say he goes and posts negative feedback on me saying he sent a real card and SAID it was fake and then sent him back a fake.  That might as well ruin my trade cred because I only have 20 or so trades to my name.  I'm not sure about anybody else, but I get a nice warm fuzzy when somebody has a 100% trade score with nothing but +1s. 

Thoughts and advice are welcome!

Re: Counterfeit Card Sent to Me

Open a dispute with the admins and take lots of pictures for proof.

Do you have any experience with this?  I combed through deckbox's rules and trade related policies and as far as I could see most things are left to the traders to resolve accordingly and then the blatant transgressions are bubbled right up to mail fraud.  I'm assuming there's all kind of grey area with trade ratings for users that deckbox uses for validating good/bad trades, but when it comes to a couple of users who get deckbox's services for free, what is deckbox's incentive to find an 'innocent' party in a conflict when they can just tab them both as scammers and maintain a solid integrity platform with zero loss?

Pretty much you'll have to open a trade dispute, sort it out through the mods, and come up with some sort of solution. It will probably be to simply end the trade.

I don't know what to tell you about the fake LED though, that sounds really suspicious.

Not sure why you would send the card back to them. Did you at least write "fake" on the card so that they don't have the chance to try and trade it again. I know you're giving them a chance, but still better to not take any chances. Chances are they knew it was a fake since a few signs point to it.

Do not mail the card back to him/her. It is illegal to knowingly send counterfeit items through the mail.  My very first trade on here  I received fake cards. I looked up on options online and learned via the post office that’s it is illegal. Only way I was able to get my cards bad is threaten with reporting him.  Destroy the card or use it in a cube. Just don’t mail it.

I've contacted Deckbox for resolution from their side.  As far as mailing it back, I can see not sending it back based on the legality of it (as mentioned above).  I had considered marking the card in such a fashion as to identify it as counterfeit, but decided to wait for some "official" response from deckbox.  Also included in the trade is a masterpiece (~$90) that is a real card, which to my mind lends some credence to his claim of not knowing the LED was a fake.  After all, why not just set up a trade for just the LED if he was trying to peddle a fake?

I don't think anybody is actually saying that the other trader knew it was bad, just that no matter what a counterfeit like that needs to be taken out of circulation. Anything else beyond that is something that could only be taken at the person's word

Got it.  Thanks for the replies all, just talking through it helped me solidify a real course of action aside from just wait-and-see.

unos wrote:

Do not mail the card back to him/her. It is illegal to knowingly send counterfeit items through the mail.  My very first trade on here  I received fake cards. I looked up on options online and learned via the post office that’s it is illegal. Only way I was able to get my cards bad is threaten with reporting him.  Destroy the card or use it in a cube. Just don’t mail it.

Thank you for this reply. 

A relative sent me a box of old Pokemon cards and I am trading them off for MTG cards here on Deckbox.  Not knowing much about Pokemon, I photographed the cards for a trader to look at.  He kindly pointed out that one was probably a counterfeit because the set it came from specifically did not have shadowed borders, where this one did.

Needless to say, I pulled it from the trade binder and flagged it with a post-it note.

My middle child is casually into Pokemon and my initial thought had been to pass him any that weren't traded off (as he doesn't take good care of his cards and these are from the first 5 sets ever printed) but the thought of him taking this card to school/an LGS and potentially releasing it into the wild has me opting to give it to the 1-year-old son of two of my kitchen table group instead since he's always reaching for our MtG cards as it is and I know his gnawing-n-drooling habits will take that card from "LP" to "Dude, I wouldn't take it even if you paid ME the NM price to take it" condition in moments flat while entertaining him all the while.

Chaophim uses teething toddler.  It is super effective! 

Glad I didn't blindly mail this out to a serious collector.

I received fake cards in a trade, and the other user was claiming they were real. I opened a Deckbox dispute and went to a shop to validate my suspicions. Had to present proof I actually went there. Since the other party was holding my cards hostage, I had to send them back but in the end I got the trade cancelled. I didn't know that sending counterfeit items via the post was illegal, but then again, how would the post know the contents?

I don't know if you can actually destroy someone else cards (or write on top of it), despite how sure you are it's a fake.