Topic: Feature Requests/Site development getting any love yet?

I let my premium lapse until the team started actively developing again.  Does anyone know if dev has picked up again and feature requests are getting some love/added? 

Thanks!

Re: Feature Requests/Site development getting any love yet?

physikal wrote:

I let my premium lapse until the team started actively developing again.  Does anyone know if dev has picked up again and feature requests are getting some love/added? 

Thanks!

What do you mean, there are constantly things fixed and implemented, check out the Announcements subforum. What specifically are you having issues with?

I mean for a long time there was pretty much no dev or real acknowledgement of feature requests for quite a while.  It was pretty much just card updates (like sets, etc.).  You would see feature requests that would go unacknowledged or somewhat acknowledged for quite a while.  There's no real dev roadmap, dev activity etc.  Is there a codebase on github somewhere where all the people that have offered to help could contribute that way? etc.

Here's a post I made about it ~1.5 yrs ago: https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29179

Even when you look in the announcements section it's primarily database updates up until the last 6 months. It appears in the last 6 months development has picked up a bit.

I'm not trying to upset anybody, or badmouth anybody.  The reality is you have a solid product, and somewhat of a market capitalization and ultimately I'd love for it to go further.  My main frustration originally when I was paying was the fact that I was paying to support development/site costs. But when you don't see any development (database updates don't count) it feels like you're paying for nothing.

Just meant to be constructive feedback.

physikal wrote:

I mean for a long time there was pretty much no dev or real acknowledgement of feature requests for quite a while.  It was pretty much just card updates (like sets, etc.).  You would see feature requests that would go unacknowledged or somewhat acknowledged for quite a while.

I do answer all support tickets, and trade disputes, and I do work full time on the website, although there are times when I fail to release the features I'm trying to implement, or there are longer periods of mostly support/maintenance/bugfixing/administrative/accounting etc type work. Due to being a single person, as I have before stated, I don't have too much time to discuss things on the forums, which is why the sticky topic on the Site Discussion recommends opening a ticket for issues.

I do read all the forum posts though, and I do have a very large TODO list and roadmap, although it is not nicely structured for outside display, as that would incur more time and maintenance on my part. I tried to have it before and I have promised features that I was unable to finish the way I wished, and had to cancel them, and users have been (rightfully) upset, so I try to not have promises and roadmaps out...

I also addressed the issue of accepting outside help, it's not trivial and it would be very hard to move a 10 year old project suddenly to an open source development process (github etc).

But when you don't see any development (database updates don't count) it feels like you're paying for nothing.

Sadly there are many things to be done for a business (even a tiny one) that "don't count" as you put it - for the users, but take time sad. No worries, nobody should feel they should pay for something they don't get enough value out of. The free account and the features that are now free, will always be free.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate your ability to take constructive criticism that could EASILY be taken as someone being a jerk online.  My feedback is based purely out of hopes of seeing deckbox be even more of a success than it already is (for selfish reasons as well as MTG community reasons).

I really believe it would be worth your time to drop it to github.  Regardless of current state.  I can imagine the amount of 'spaghetti code' and things like that, that would accrue over a 10 year period with 1 dude developing lol.  Even the best of coders would have it.  I just feel like it would take a good chunk of time up front - but from that point forward I would HOPE you would have people wanting to contribute to the project/features they want and basically do the work and you would then just need to review the code before merge.

Just sharing my thoughts.

BTW I'm going back to premium right now purely based on your ability to take my horribly worded and delivered feedback and respond politely lol.  Thanks for listening.

Last edited by physikal (2018-09-16 20:53:14)

Much appreciated!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have an inventory of thousands of cards and I've dipped my toes into the marketplace, but the dealbreaker for me is that there's no way to flag a subset of a given number of cards as for sale without doing something janky with the flags to split up my inventory. If a sale list were separated out from my tradelist then I would happily start using the market again.