Topic: Styling & responsiveness on mobile

Today a lot of changes were deployed that should make site navigation on mobile easier. The left menu is toggled off by default when it does not fit on the screen, many menus are shortened when they do not fit, etc.

As usual when many styling changes go live there will definitely be browsers and pages where things do not look right, please let me know if you see any, and I will fix them.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Re: Styling & responsiveness on mobile

Just wanted to say Thank you for your continued support and updates to the Site.

I can not speak highly enough of it and the people of dealt with from using it.

Keep up the great work!

-Ryan

Thank you for continuing to update and clean up the site. However i am not a fan of the toggle at all. Is it possible to make it an option on the settings page to have the toggle as default?

I appreciate the upgrades and think the hiding menu is a neat feature. It seems the threshold at which it auto hides is too low. On the home screen, the menu auto hides when I dock the browser on the side of my monitor and leaves more than half the page as white space. There is still plenty of white space in the browser when I toggle the menu on; none of the information on the home page is off-screen.

Edit: The search bar at the top of the screen is replaced with an icon when the menu is hidden. The "ctrl+i" keyboard shortcut doesn't work while the icon is displayed; the icon has to be clicked to open the search bar at which point the keyboard shortcut can be used.

Last edited by doxsee (2020-09-29 16:43:55)

Hi, thank you for your work on the site. I am using firefox on android. I use deckbox for keeping track of and modifying my decks, so having the side toggled away by default just slows the site down, as the first thing I click on every time I use deckbox on mobile is either my inventory or one of my decks from the side menu that I'm going to change.

I already need to click to switch to desktop version every time I load deckbox to see everything I need, this adds a second step before I can do what I intend to do.

Card search, profile, forum, "getting  started", buy premium, shopping assistant and communities are currently all available on the top bar, however card search is the only one I've ever used on mobile in my years using this site. In my opinion at least, inventory would be a useful top bar icon if the side bar is going to be hidden by default, so at least that can be reached in one click.

doxsee wrote:

I appreciate the upgrades and think the hiding menu is a neat feature. It seems the threshold at which it auto hides is too low. On the home screen, the menu auto hides when I dock the browser on the side of my monitor and leaves more than half the page as white space. There is still plenty of white space in the browser when I toggle the menu on; none of the information on the home page is off-screen.

Edit: The search bar at the top of the screen is replaced with an icon when the menu is hidden. The "ctrl+i" keyboard shortcut doesn't work while the icon is displayed; the icon has to be clicked to open the search bar at which point the keyboard shortcut can be used.

Thanks for reporting the issues. Which browser & OS did you notice the "too soon hidden" issue?

sebi wrote:
doxsee wrote:

Thanks for reporting the issues. Which browser & OS did you notice the "too soon hidden" issue?

I'm using a Chrome browser on Windows 10 Pro. Thanks again!

Here's a small thing that probably most other users won't care that much about but should hopefully also be an easy tweak:

I follow the forums fairly closely and would always look for the "new posts" icon whenever I visited the site. Now that's just the default icon and there's no way for me to know if there's new posts without actually going to the forum.

Considering you were able to display or hide an icon as needed, you obviously already have the necessary framework in place for conditional styling. What if instead of the conditional styling being "icon / no icon" it were "filled icon / empty icon" or some other dual icon system. That way an icon could always be shown in mobile, but we could still tell if there's new posts or not at a glance. And you could use both icons in desktop also, or just stick with the old approach.