Topic: total value of cards drop on site

Did something changed in the way the total value of the cards is shown in the inventory total set value. The number drop by 20% compare to 2 weeks ago?

Re: total value of cards drop on site

Maybe it's just the seasonal drop in singles prices. Holidays tend to be a buyers' market more than a sellers', with a lot of price dropping. Don't know how much Deckbox's pricing algorithm gets affected by that, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Check again late January and see if it's reinflated.

Last edited by meldon44 (2021-11-27 22:21:32)

Honestly I don't really pay attention to prices on deckbox too closely; the prices are usually too widely varied from the real heartbeat of the market (reasons have been well documented) so I use other sites to track my prices which allow me to use TCG Market as a price source. It is hard to justify trades against deckbox when I see a card might be $10 here but the average of the last few with actual sales records only sold for $6.

I have not noticed any drastic drops in prices on my other sites. I have noticed a steady decline in prices over the past few months. When we Americans were given that last stimulus check it seemed that people invested in solid assets, for most people that would be metals or real estate, but I think the gamer invested in trading cards (this was around the time that people were getting shot at Target for Pokemon Cards). I'd say since the end of April there has been a steady decline in prices as the market has been normalizing. Honestly it is too high still and needs to come back down a lot.

I don't think we know what deckbox uses for prices although I believe it is some factor of its own market place and TCG Mid prices or at least some site which references TCG Mid for pricing (for instance mtggoldfish uses tcg mid). For some reason I looked a few days ago and I saw that my collection on deckbox was worth about $52,000 and change and right now my collection TCG Mid is about $53,000. This is where my pricing speculation comes from as my deckbox value and TCG Mid value are pretty similar even down to the card level sometimes. I have not seen any major drops in prices on my higher end cards which could lead to direct volatility for the collection.

I do see that as of right now my deckbox price has dropped to $47,000 which is a lot closer to what my TCG Market price is which is $43,000. So I am seeing the same drop you are on the deckbox side, but I have not seen the same type of drop on then TCG side. I don't know how often prices are updated on any site so there could be a huge drop coming to my TCG side soon and I just don't see it yet, but I kinda doubt that much of a drop that fast. Sebi has stated in the past few months how he wants to try and get prices inline with the real world market so this could be that or just the start of that, but that is just speculation on my part. Personally I feel it would be welcoming to feel confident in deckbox prices again.

I was wondering the same thing - I don't track my collection on any other sites so I was unaware of the potential price differences. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next two months....

I was also wondering about this. The "total value" of my collection dropped from $89K to $72K in about a week.

I noticed a big drop as well. I lost about 1/3 of the value of my collection since I last checked the prices a couple weeks ago.

Why is this a big problem for me? I insure my collection. Prices are based off of what it says here. My collection went from about 28k to 20k... I am insured for 28k, but if something happens now, I would only get about 20k. This is an issue for me. Is there some kind of explanation coming? I need to know whether I need to look for another site to manage my collection or not.

Yea for the record my value dropped substantially overnight twice.
Just hoping cards aren't missing from inventory.  In less than a week its gone down $10k
I have always felt that the pricing was bit high on the site- and that this might be some sort of normalization.

Any official word for anyone on what is going on?

Same here, my collection value got shaved by 20%, what the hell?? Did Deckbox changed the way they calculate price tags?

This doesn't seem to be a normal price drop, and it's really bad for those insuring their collection based of on this site's Inventory estimate sad

I hope it's not cards missing either, especially if they were cut from the collection.

If I had to guess, I would say that the prices are now using TCG market pricing, or something close to it.  The really egregious outliers that I had in my inventory (like Ma Chao, Western Warrior being in the thousands, or Library of Alexandria being 2x or 3x too high) have been fixed.  This is probably step 1 in getting the DeckBox prices closer to reality and having them be really useful again.

I have not seen any major decreases on my other apps the past few days (in fact it has ticked up a bit probably use to Black Friday sales). I would assume the drops are due to deckbox coming closer to tcg market.

psrex wrote:

If I had to guess, I would say that the prices are now using TCG market pricing, or something close to it.  The really egregious outliers that I had in my inventory (like Ma Chao, Western Warrior being in the thousands, or Library of Alexandria being 2x or 3x too high) have been fixed.  This is probably step 1 in getting the DeckBox prices closer to reality and having them be really useful again.

That's fine by me, but they usually send release changes and I didn't see any taking about that, they could have warned everyone.

so my deckbox value is actually at 43K today ... which is within $400 off my price on the other sites so it looks like we are down to tcg market pricing now

Last edited by ic0n67 (2021-11-30 13:42:56)

My collection tends to be heavy on the low end, price-wise, and I'm attentive to low-end prices, and I've noticed a substantial drop. Not sure if something has changed re source of pricing data, but at the end-user level, what I've seen is that cards at the low end used to have a floor value of 15-16 cents a piece.  I attributed that to the fixed costs of a seller in response to a buy request (storage costs, time to locate a copy of the requested card, etc.).  Suddenly, lots of cards are priced at 5 cents, which I've never seen here before.

This is my first time even visiting the forum because I noticed the price drop and wanted to know what was happening, and was glad to see someone else posting about it.  I don't care because my interest is mostly curiosity, but definitely, something's changed.