Topic: Collector Trading

Hi all!

I am diligently adding my entire collection here, and I am looking for individuals like myself that are trying to complete playsets for as many versions as they possibly can.  When I am done entering in my collection (over 100k), I will be updating it for what is available for trading / selling.

So, if you are like me and are looking to complete versions / playsets, post here so we can connect in the near future to help each other out!

Here is the current state:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1740229

Thanks!

Re: Collector Trading

I'm in the same boat and have actually been considering posting this sort of memo. Life's just been too busy for me to get my act together!! But I'm definitely interested.

I don't have as big of a collection, probably around 45k, but about 10k of that is duplicates past a playset. I'm mostly interested in trading bulk (though not all my extras are strictly bulk, with a good handful in the $2-$5 range). It may seem counter-intuitive, but I actually feel way better outright buying (rather than trading for) a single $100 card than I do 200 cards averaging 50 cents. It's surprisingly expensive to fill out playsets of bulk cards, and they feel way worse to buy!

Question for you: Are you trying to collect reprint sets like Masters sets or precons like Duel Decks? I'm actually not, unless the card has artwork that can't be found in a regular expansion. If you are, would you be willing to do one-for-one trades of the same card, just from different editions? This question also applies to things like Core Sets that often have the same card with the same art.

meldon44 wrote:

I'm in the same boat and have actually been considering posting this sort of memo. Life's just been too busy for me to get my act together!! But I'm definitely interested.

I don't have as big of a collection, probably around 45k, but about 10k of that is duplicates past a playset. I'm mostly interested in trading bulk (though not all my extras are strictly bulk, with a good handful in the $2-$5 range). It may seem counter-intuitive, but I actually feel way better outright buying (rather than trading for) a single $100 card than I do 200 cards averaging 50 cents. It's surprisingly expensive to fill out playsets of bulk cards, and they feel way worse to buy!

Question for you: Are you trying to collect reprint sets like Masters sets or precons like Duel Decks? I'm actually not, unless the card has artwork that can't be found in a regular expansion. If you are, would you be willing to do one-for-one trades of the same card, just from different editions? This question also applies to things like Core Sets that often have the same card with the same art.

Great to hear there is someone out there like me!  smile

And, you hit exactly on what I am hoping to do - trading bulk duplicates with other folks to try to get some value from something basically taking up space and collecting dust. For me, I will likely pursue the more expensive cards I need as funding allows. Of course, if I have more than a playset in something with value, I am more than willing to trade those as well.

I  am actually not either. I am more than willing to talk about doing one for one trades though - especially if someone wants to complete something specific.

One thing I forgot to mention - I am interested in trading with other collectors to work together to complete sets. I have no interest in selling bulk to someone who will turn around and sell it off. To this end, I will likely set a limit on the number for each card - probably 8 just in case someone wants to help one of their kids, etc get into the game.

Celtic68 wrote:

if I have more than a playset in something with value, I am more than willing to trade those as well.

I will also consider this, though in most cases if I have more than 4x of an expensive card, it's because I'm using them in a deck. So less likely to want to, but definitely won't mind anyone asking.

Celtic68 wrote:

I  am actually not either. I am more than willing to talk about doing one for one trades though - especially if someone wants to complete something specific.

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have any foreign cards you're trying to find a way to deal with? I've bought large collections in that past that came with handfuls of foreign cards which I don't want to keep. I'm considering posting in here seeing if anyone who wants a specific language is willing to do one-for-one trades. I think they'll be otherwise difficult to move.

As to condition, I don't collect anything worse than LP, nor will I send anyone MP or worse cards, unless they specifically don't care. And I'm pretty picky about the lines between those three. Cards quickly become LP with anything more than a couple small nicks, and they quickly become MP with any amount of substantial wear. (Once you get to MP, there's a lot of room for damage before it becomes HP, and similarly, most really yucky cards can be considered HP, not damaged.) I am willing to send scans of cards that I feel are on the line between those conditions if you'd like to see.

That all said, if we do a trade of a couple hundred cards, and a half dozen 10 cent cards arrive in what I'd call MP, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it!

What's your stance on condition for your own collection? Are you fine with MP cards, especially if they're older? Or do you also want only very clean cards?

meldon44 wrote:
Celtic68 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have any foreign cards you're trying to find a way to deal with? I've bought large collections in that past that came with handfuls of foreign cards which I don't want to keep. I'm considering posting in here seeing if anyone who wants a specific language is willing to do one-for-one trades. I think they'll be otherwise difficult to move.

I do, and I have not found a good way to deal with them yet either. So, if anyone is looking for them, I have a bunch I would like to part with as well.

meldon44 wrote:

As to condition, I don't collect anything worse than LP, nor will I send anyone MP or worse cards, unless they specifically don't care. And I'm pretty picky about the lines between those three. Cards quickly become LP with anything more than a couple small nicks, and they quickly become MP with any amount of substantial wear. (Once you get to MP, there's a lot of room for damage before it becomes HP, and similarly, most really yucky cards can be considered HP, not damaged.) I am willing to send scans of cards that I feel are on the line between those conditions if you'd like to see.

That all said, if we do a trade of a couple hundred cards, and a half dozen 10 cent cards arrive in what I'd call MP, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it!

What's your stance on condition for your own collection? Are you fine with MP cards, especially if they're older? Or do you also want only very clean cards?

To make things easier to read as far as each card, I default everything to LP when adding to my inventory. However, I know I have some that are worse off than LP. For me personally, I don't mind MP cards especially if they are older. For anything I trade away, I would be sending my best condition cards and keeping the ones that might be slightly worse. As far as grading, I tend to err on the side of the lower grade when I assess a card. It might also be an idea to send a quick video showing the cards before sending to make sure they are sufficient when a smaller bulk order until some level of trust is reached.  Just speaking out loud here - I have never traded so I am unaware if there are better ideas than this....

That said, I am open to whatever path someone is comfortable with if it helps both our collections out.

Last edited by Celtic68 (2021-03-20 22:11:52)

I'm definitely in this situation as well.  I'm not working on playsets, and just trying to get all of the complete sets.  I'm probably never going to complete A/B/UL, but the others seem within reach.  I have lots of extra commons, but it is hard to find the time to list them all here.

psrex wrote:

I'm definitely in this situation as well.  I'm not working on playsets, and just trying to get all of the complete sets.  I'm probably never going to complete A/B/UL, but the others seem within reach.  I have lots of extra commons, but it is hard to find the time to list them all here.

Great - the more people interested, the better!

I know once I am done getting everything in, I am going to go through and update my trade list and wish list so that would probably make it easier for someone that does not have everything entered.

I just remembered that there is a group here for set collectors:

https://deckbox.org/communities/set_collectors

If you join, then it is very easy to look for trades with this group as you can always browse the members list or post in the forum (not that it is very active right now).

psrex wrote:

I just remembered that there is a group here for set collectors:

https://deckbox.org/communities/set_collectors

If you join, then it is very easy to look for trades with this group as you can always browse the members list or post in the forum (not that it is very active right now).

Thanks!  I sent my request to join.

Well, it took a lot longer than I expected, but everything has made it into Deckbox finally!

I have done a few trades already, and I am hoping to do a lot more so hit me up if you are interested in trading bulk!

Still looking for more bulk trade partners to complete play sets - open a trade if you are looking for the same!

I'm in the same boat. XD  I'm slowly running out of regulars to trade jank with. I'm at the point where I'm willing to buy the cheaper cards I'm looking for at a bulk price. I'm also okay trading for non-English cards.

Hey all, I'm looking for set traders.  I have everything that's not in a set listed for a trade down to jank.

I recently requested to be on the Set Collectors trading post board.

Let's jump in:

I just recently opened a bunch of infinity and posted my Haves Wants here:
https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31832

Does anyone want to help get that set completed?