Topic: Doctor Who Frustrations

I'm a big Dr. Who fan.  And I'm a big MTG card collector.  What could be better than the combination?  However I'm pretty frustrated and am curious what others think.

1. The number of cards is ridiculously large.
2. The number of possible combinations is even larger.  Where can I get a detailed comprehensive list of the number of possible combinations (normal only/foil only/both; single/double sided extras; etc.).  How can I collect if I don't know what I'm even looking for?
3. The prices are insane.  I understand we need to pay for the Dr. Who rights but the total cost of a full set has got to be in the thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands.
4. How do you collect them?  Most of the booster packs are foils.  The commander boxes are certain cards.  Am I missing a product?

Anyone have thoughts?

Re: Doctor Who Frustrations

Yeah its a lot of collector numbers but the same card is listed 3-4 times on there. You have regular cards, full art normal art, TARDIS Special Frames, and Surge Foil versions of all of those. Plus a rainbow foil that I have not been lucky enough to even know what it looks like. Oh, and serialized cards.

That said, in terms of collecting them, if you buy one of each of the commander decks, you have at least 1 of each mechanically unique cards. So if you just want the cards to play with, its easy to collect them.

I don't think this set is designed to collect 1 of each collector number, as again most of the collector numbers are just 3-5 versions of the same card.

Re: Doctor Who Frustrations

Yeah if you're not a big fan of foils, you just want the mechanically unique cards its 1-191. For all the non-foil, non-extended, non-alt-art cards you would need 1-331. If you bought them as singles that would be $342 as of today (source: MTG Goldfish )

Note you would get all of those in one swoop if you just purchased the four Commander Decks.
This would run you $180 on Amazon

If you wanted to add the alt-art it would include 535-565. The non-foils of these are atually quite cheap.
Singles only would run you $37 (source: MTG Goldfish )

So in summary, you could get all the non-foil, non-extended cards and showcase cards for about $210 if you get lucky with bundle order for singles on TCG or similar.