Topic: [Bug] Inventory Filtering

I was filtering my inventory with the following criteria:

Color: Black
Edition: Magic 2012

I was getting back  cards that I only owned in M11.  I did not own any of those cards in M12.  I had other M11 cards show up in the list but that was because I owned a copy of them in M12.

Last edited by zenatic (2012-08-05 21:29:34)

Re: [Bug] Inventory Filtering

I am thinking that those cards are also present in M11; if you didn't specify the editions for all your cards, that is.

This is also an issue for me. The filter includes cards that are also printed in the edition you search for, even if you don't actually have the card in that particular edition. Yes, this still occurs even if you specify the editions for all your cards.

I believe this works as designed. The filter doesn't filter on whether you own a copy in that set, it filters on whether you own a copy of the card, and whether that card was printed in that set.

You can see this also if you filter on, say, rare cards with subtype "Angel." Serra Angel appears, even though I don't own any rare Serra Angels. It's because Serra Angel was rare in certain sets, so the card has the "rare" tag in the db.

I can see how you would want the filter to sort through ownership traits instead of what sets the card was printed in. On the other hand, that would make it inconsistent with how the exact same filter works when you're searching the card database. What's more, how would it work if you didn't enter any card details when you added the card to your inventory?

I think the current function is probably the best compromise barring a major interface change.

Scrapulous wrote:

I believe this works as designed. The filter doesn't filter on whether you own a copy in that set, it filters on whether you own a copy of the card, and whether that card was printed in that set.

You can see this also if you filter on, say, rare cards with subtype "Angel." Serra Angel appears, even though I don't own any rare Serra Angels. It's because Serra Angel was rare in certain sets, so the card has the "rare" tag in the db.

I can see how you would want the filter to sort through ownership traits instead of what sets the card was printed in. On the other hand, that would make it inconsistent with how the exact same filter works when you're searching the card database. What's more, how would it work if you didn't enter any card details when you added the card to your inventory?

I think the current function is probably the best compromise barring a major interface change.

Exactly true, on all assumptions. Next release will have some interface changes though, no promises, but we might get a second filter for editions smile

Scrapulous wrote:

I believe the users who posted their concerns here have all entered card details. Or else the issue wouldn't really be applicable.

Point is, for users like myself, I'd much prefer to filter through ownership traits. There are many resources you could use to find out whether or not a certain card is printed in a certain set. The purpose of using this site for me is to keep track of my collection. If I search for M12 cards, I would like to see the cards that I own in M12 and not any M11 cards I own that also happen to be printed in M12. Perhaps the database search should have different filters than your own inventory search.

apyrexia wrote:
Scrapulous wrote:

I believe the users who posted their concerns here have all entered card details. Or else the issue wouldn't really be applicable.

Point is, for users like myself, I'd much prefer to filter through ownership traits. There are many resources you could use to find out whether or not a certain card is printed in a certain set. The purpose of using this site for me is to keep track of my collection. If I search for M12 cards, I would like to see the cards that I own in M12 and not any M11 cards I own that also happen to be printed in M12. Perhaps the database search should have different filters than your own inventory search.

I see your point, and acknowledge the value of such a feature.  There are times I've wanted to do so, too.  However, often I am just checking to see what cards I currently have that are legal in a given format.  If playing Standard, I'm not concerned about which edition of a card I have, but rather the total number of them available to me from all blocks.

Two users, two different uses.  Hopefully, as features are added, the system will retain flexibility so each type of user may use it to suit his or her needs.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:

I see your point, and acknowledge the value of such a feature.  There are times I've wanted to do so, too.  However, often I am just checking to see what cards I currently have that are legal in a given format.  If playing Standard, I'm not concerned about which edition of a card I have, but rather the total number of them available to me from all blocks.

Two users, two different uses.  Hopefully, as features are added, the system will retain flexibility so each type of user may use it to suit his or her needs.

Fully agreed.

I was going back through my inventory and was reorganizing my cards into 9 pocket sleeves from boxes which brought up this whole thing.

I did double check the ones that were showing up and all cards that were showing up were all identified by edition properly.   Thanks for the response Sebi!  Good to see some added features coming!

I will say I use the system in both ways.  Sometimes I want to check my quantity of a card for building decks regardless of edition, however when I am using it to manage my actual inventory, I really only want to see what cards I have for a given card for a specific edition.

1 user, 2 different uses.

I have loved deckbox as a inventory management software to manage my 5,000+ cards.  Managing that many cards can be tedious and deckbox has made that so much easier.  I look forward to the changes you are working on Sebi!  Keep up the awesome work!