Topic: <Q> To Buy or Not to Buy... (Zendikar Fat Pack)

That is the question.

I have a lead on an unopened Zendikar Fat Pack for $150. Is it worth it?

I know it will have those luscious full art lands, but the boosters are a crap shoot.  What do you think?

Last edited by HikingStick (2012-08-16 14:43:10)

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: <Q> To Buy or Not to Buy... (Zendikar Fat Pack)

That's crazy, stores in Omaha are sellling Zendikar boosters for $5 or so.  I got a whole lot in the wal-mart booster 3-packs a month ago, so around 3.66 each.

edit: check TCG player, there are a bunch of packs at $4 or less each.

Last edited by Nighthawk (2012-08-16 14:33:10)

HikingStick wrote:

That is the question.

I know if will have those luscious full art lands, but the boosters are a crap shoot.  What do you think?

So the only things in Zendikar that are worth anything are the fetch lands, Iona and full art lands.  If I'm being honest though, the Full Art Lands are like a buck a peice for the normal version and 8-12 for the foil.  Granted you will get a bunch of free full art lands automatically with the purchase, I don't think it's worth 150$.  Packs are roughly 4-5 dollars wherever you look.

Looking at Ebay, I saw one Fat Pack go for $150, but sealed booster boxes are going for 110-120/ea.  Entirely up to you, but if I were given a choice, I'd spend 120$ on a box way before spending 150$ on a Fat Pack.

Wow, I wish I had held onto some unopened Zen Fat Packs. No way in hell is that thing worth $150. Probably mostly paying for the fact that its sealed and out of print and becoming collectible?

Zuul36 wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

That is the question.

I know if will have those luscious full art lands, but the boosters are a crap shoot.  What do you think?

So the only things in Zendikar that are worth anything are the fetch lands, Iona and full art lands.  If I'm being honest though, the Full Art Lands are like a buck a peice for the normal version and 8-12 for the foil.  Granted you will get a bunch of free full art lands automatically with the purchase, I don't think it's worth 150$.  Packs are roughly 4-5 dollars wherever you look.

Looking at Ebay, I saw one Fat Pack go for $150, but sealed booster boxes are going for 110-120/ea.  Entirely up to you, but if I were given a choice, I'd spend 120$ on a box way before spending 150$ on a Fat Pack.

That's a good point.  I hadn't even thought about booster boxes on eBay.  Thanks!

My only comment - and someone else should verify this - I BELIEVE the reason Zen fat packs demand such a hefty premium is that all fat packs are cut from the 1st print run, and the 1st print run of Zendikar had that 'open a piece of history' promo, where the stuck duals/moxen/etc into factory packs.

Edit: Link to related info on mtgsalvation.  http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=7380985

Priceless treasure was the name of the promotion.

Last edited by hanker307 (2012-08-16 15:09:53)

hanker307 wrote:

My only comment - and someone else should verify this - I BELIEVE the reason Zen fat packs demand such a hefty premium is that all fat packs are cut from the 1st print run, and the 1st print run of Zendikar had that 'open a piece of history' promo, where the stuck duals/moxen/etc into factory packs.

Edit: Link to related info on mtgsalvation.  http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=7380985

Priceless treasure was the name of the promotion.

That makes complete sense then.  But if you don't pull Priceless Treasure, then you just paid 150$ for a bunch of lands and 8 Packs of Zendikar... oh yeah and some rolldown dice.

I would buy one and then hang onto it and sell it later.

I was able to get a fatpack when they first came out and they are indeed from the first print run and I actully got a phyrexian dreadnaught in my fatpack so there is the 'chance' of a priceless treasure. that is the main reason they are so expensive. 

However the odds of getting a treasure are super low, i heard at the prerelease there was only 1 treasure the entire weekend and it wasnt even a great one.   

The packs are available cheap now because they are all 2nd print run which did not have the priceless treasures, so fat packs are the only reliable way to have any chance.

Crack it and post a pic of your Candelabra!

for that much i would rather buy the candleabra off ebay

I can get a box for $150, so I def wouldn't get a fat pack.

the pack of additional lands in the fat pack are NOT the full-art lands, they are basic lands...you'll only get the ones from the packs, nothing else.

cbwebber wrote:

the pack of additional lands in the fat pack are NOT the full-art lands, they are basic lands...you'll only get the ones from the packs, nothing else.

That doesn't align with everything I've read on the Zendikar Fat Packs.  Can anyone else clarify this?

I stand corrected, it IS the full-art lands...

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a … arcana/263

I still don't think I'd spend $150 on it though.

cbwebber wrote:

I stand corrected, it IS the full-art lands...

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a … arcana/263

I still don't think I'd spend $150 on it though.

Thanks to the great feedback I got here, neither do I.

i have a feeling the zendikar box would give you the full art lands but i still dont think its worth it for that much.

I got a booster box for $125 from Coolstuffinc (the last box), but no, I would not spend $150 on this.