Topic: Inventory Management Ideas

I'm in the process of (attempting to) catalog my entire collection, and it is grueling.  But this has brought up a lot of things that I would love to see added to the site.

Additional Filters
I would love to be able to filter my inventory (and other people's inventories) based upon the details of the cards in there.  For example, being able to see all of the foil cards that I have, or all of the promo cards that I have, or any foreign cards I have, etc.

Non-complete Card Details
As I'm cataloging everything, it is becoming harder and harder to know which cards I have and haven't put in details for.  And therefore, I'm not entirely sure if everything is cataloged.  So, it would be nice to be able to only show the cards in my inventory where the number of them that I own doesn't match the number of detailed listings associated with the card.

Filter on Owned cards, not Gatherer Card History
If I'm trying to look at the cards that I own from a particular set, possibly because I'm seeing what else I need to collect to complete the set, it would be nice to see JUST the cards I own from that set, rather than cards that happen to be in the set that I happen to own from a different set.

For example, here I'm searching for Angel's Mercy in M12, which I don't own any of, but it still shows up because I own some in M13 and AVR.
http://i.imm.io/EaGn.png

Although, this may be part of the new Inventory update coming in the next release.

Edit....
Sorting rarity within a set
If I sort by rarity within a set, it would be nice if only cards that were that rarity came up.  For instance, Ornithopter is an Uncommon in Mirrodin (and just about every other set, actually), but when I search for it like this, specifically stating that I only want commons from Mirrodin, it still shows up.
http://i.imm.io/Eb7j.png
I realize that this is probably because Gatherer lists the entire Ornithopter card as a Common, but I'm guessing you could probably do something about that.

I'm sure there was more, but that is all I recall at the moment.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by NullParameter (2012-09-13 05:55:31)

Re: Inventory Management Ideas

Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

Your 1st and 3rd points will be directly addressed by the september release. The Non-Complete Card details filter idea I really like, and we'll try to squeeze it in. If it doesn't make it, it will be in a following patch after the release.

The rarity issue is indeed brought up quite a bit, but we can't promise we'll fix it right away. I am sure it is very annoying, and it's on the list of things to fix, but low prio compared to other stuff.

Here's another inventory question. I apologize if it's been brought up already.

Is it possible to add, in addition to "# of copies of [card x] I own," a column for "# of copies of [card x] I have listed in all of my decks"

Say I have a deck that uses 1 copy of mind's eye, I set my inventory to 1 for that card.  I then want to make another deck with mind's eye because it's so awesome.  When I make that second deck, my inventory says I have the card, so it would seem that I wouldn't need to acquire another copy, however, if i want to keep my original deck intact, I would need another copy.  That second column would eliminate this problem, methinks.

Thanks.

Last edited by three_toe (2012-09-20 12:38:53)

That is already a feature. The green column lists how many you own and the white column shows how many you have in all your decks listed here on deckbox (when looking at inv, trade, or wish lists). When looking at a deck the white column shows how many you have in THAT deck.

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

Sillvva wrote:

That is already a feature. The green column lists how many you own and the white column shows how many you have in all your decks listed here on deckbox (when looking at inv, trade, or wish lists). When looking at a deck the white column shows how many you have in THAT deck.

Oh I see, thank you for pointing this out.  Could we then get this column as a display-able option on each deck's page?  Also a button that adds all cards in a deck to your inventory?  I would like to erase what I have for inventory because it's only a partial thing, then go through each deck I have on this site, hit "add all cards in this list to inventory" and quickly generate an up-to-date inventory for my decks.  Then I could add the rest of my cards (not in decks) after the fact.

Last edited by three_toe (2012-09-20 13:40:45)

Hi, this idea struck me recently: going through inventories (or other lists) would be much easier if there were letters of the alphabet on the top and bottom of the list, I think that would be faster than typing the name in the search engine or just flicking through pages by their numbers. What do you think ?

Another one thing for Inventory (which is not obvious and, maybe, will be used pretty rare): Export entire inventory or checked cards.

For instance, I took almost all cards from my brother and entered them to my inventory. My brother has just created his account on deckbox. Now I decided to give the cards back to him and concentrate on getting cards from the very new editions for play, leaving collectioning for my brother. I'd like just to transfer my MtG inventory to my brother's account (for him not to redo the work I have already done).

Or maybe I would like to transfer my Inventory to Excel (of whatever) table or my PC database.
----
And another one thing for Inventory: I would call it "Collector's view": ability to view all cards of particular set highlighting the cards I already have.

Last edited by BlackTracktorist (2012-11-17 09:59:02)

Currently, you can export your entire collection to Excel via a *.csv file.  You'll find that option using View > Export > [Optional: select additional columns] > Export button.

You can access a "collectors view" of sorts by starting in the Card Database area.   The Card Database will show all cards, not just your inventory.  You may use the filters to display cards matching only particular parameters (e.g., Edition), and when the results display, you'll notice the same columns you see in your Inventory: your quantity, the number in your tradelist, the number in your wishlist, and the number appearing in all your decks.  However, at this time, the system shows cards that have a name that appears in that filter, so reprints will show up in results for any search where they area a valid match (e.g., Blood Crypt will appear in a list of Return to Ravnica cards as well as in a list of Dissension cards). This may be cleared up in the next release, because Inventory is being modified to track each card with its unique details as a separate line item. To take a peek at some screenshots of the pending update, visit this thread.

Happy trading and collecting!

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick,

Well, as for "collector's view", yes, everything works. As Russians say: "I didn't notice an elephant". big_smile
But this has to be a little bit improved as well:
- In the full set card listing it would be great to highlight all the cards that i have. Well, I see, that there is Inventory quantity column, but cards I have highlighted opposite rest cards of the set that I don't have in dim color would be more illustrative.
- Another one thing necessary for "collector's view" is search\display\sort (especially!) by card number (x\350 as ususal).

As for export file, I tried to do that, seems like it works, but than the next question: how to Import from CSV to my (or my brother's) inventory? Import from csv tool is also needed for Inventory.
---
And another one. In language property (when adding a card to Inventory), please fix Russian. Now it appears as "русский язык" (russian language), usually we use simply "Русский" (Russian). Thanks.

Last edited by BlackTracktorist (2012-11-18 18:05:00)

BlackTracktorist wrote:

HikingStick,

Well, as for "collector's view", yes, everything works. As Russians say: "I didn't notice an elephant". big_smile
But this has to be a little bit improved as well:
- In the full set card listing it would be great to highlight all the cards that i have. Well, I see, that there is Inventory quantity column, but cards I have highlighted opposite rest cards of the set that I don't have in dim color would be more illustrative.

That would be a nice feature.  I click the column header for quantity, and that lets me toggle the sort (ascending/descending).  That groups together all the cards for which I have zero (0) quantity.  That should help for now.

BlackTracktorist wrote:

- Another one thing necessary for "collector's view" is search\display\sort (especially!) by card number (x\350 as ususal).

Adding the collector's number has been mentioned in numerous threads, primarily as a way to speed card input in other languages (since adding multi-lingual card title support is pretty far down the feature list--other features to add value to the majority of users are higher on the list).

BlackTracktorist wrote:

As for export file, I tried to do that, seems like it works, but than the next question: how to Import from CSV to my (or my brother's) inventory? Import from csv tool is also needed for Inventory.

This is another one that has been requested many times.  I know Sebi has been considering it--I don't know when it will be rolled out (and don't remember if it was referenced in the other thread).

BlackTracktorist wrote:

And another one. In language property (when adding a card to Inventory), please fix Russian. Now it appears as "русский язык" (russian language), usually we use simply "Русский" (Russian). Thanks.

Это должно быть легко. [This should be a relatively simple task.]  Once Sebi sees it, he should be able to make the change.

Thank you for the feedback.  The involvement of the community is one of the things that make this site so great!

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Good points. Languages will have english names in upcoming release (e.g. Russian, Japanese etc). Import CSV is also implemented (same upcoming release). Collectors number improvements not yet sad. In a later release I think.

Collector's view with highlighting owned cards is a great idea!

Last edited by sebi (2012-11-19 09:14:33)