Topic: New column for Inventory - Price Paid

I would like to see a field where I could enter the price I paid for a card.

I see this as being useful for a few reasons:
1. Cards are an investment. Nobody wants to buy high and sell low.
2. It will be easy to see when one of your cards skyrockets in value (consider selling) or plummets (consider buying).
3. When trading, I prefer to take into account the amount I paid even though the value has gone up. That way, I can think of it more like "would I pay x for this new card?"

Re: New column for Inventory - Price Paid

While it sounds simple, I believe it would require quite a bit. You likely pay different amounts each time you get a card. Then, when trading, if you acquire a card as part of a larger trade, if the trade is not exactly 1:1 on value, you'd need to calculate the cost of that card coming in from your trade.

On the back end, there would be much more storage required by the folks at Deckbox (potentially, every card having a unique entry--though not all would likely go to that level of detail). Storage may be cheap, but hosted storage is not necessarily so, especially for a free (ad-supported) service.

If you have multiple copies of a card that you purchased at different times, when it comes time to trade, do you want to look at each individual cost, or some average of them all?

I keep track of my overall spend in my personal accounting software (e.g., MS Money, Quicken, Mint). I just create a category for Hobbies: MtG. Then I know how much I've spent in a given year, and I can compare that against the value of my collection (and how much it changed during the past 12 months).

I'm not suggesting it is impossible, or that Sebi will nix the idea, but am just the type of person who often sees beyond the immediate request, and thinks of the long-term impact.

Cheers!

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

I agree with J0k, as I acquire cards at a certain price. Basically if they could save the trades the way they are and not update the prices it would be great. As for what J0k really wants, it would appear to be a speculation tracker type of thing.

@HikingStick

It already splits cards into separate rows for different Sets, Conditions, Languages, Foil, etc. What's adding another field that does this? This would be an optional field, so you wouldn't need to enter it for trades, cards where you just don't know, etc. It would mainly be for tracking the price paid for items you do know. I think it'd be useful, and shouldn't be too difficult, and not require much more storage. I currently need to keep a separate spreadsheet for this that would no longer be required if Deckbox had this data.

j0ksta wrote:

@HikingStick

It already splits cards into separate rows for different Sets, Conditions, Languages, Foil, etc. What's adding another field that does this? This would be an optional field, so you wouldn't need to enter it for trades, cards where you just don't know, etc. It would mainly be for tracking the price paid for items you do know. I think it'd be useful, and shouldn't be too difficult, and not require much more storage. I currently need to keep a separate spreadsheet for this that would no longer be required if Deckbox had this data.

Yes, it does do that separation already, to an extent.  But right now it can at least group the items.

For instance, if you have 4 Geist of Sait Trafts with all of the same attributes (Language, Condition, etc.), currently you just have one row sitting out in the database that says, "You have 4 cards exactly like this."  If you wanted to track how much you paid for each of those, then you'd instead need to have 4 separate rows in the database to track the price that you paid for each individually, essentially quadrupling the amount of data stored.