Topic: Should there be a rare in every booster pack?

I've opened a lot of boosters in the past year.  Until today, I don't ever remember having a booster that didn't have a rare or mythic.  Yet today I got two from the same retail location that had no rares or mythics. One had 11 commons, two (2) uncommons, one land, and one token. The other had 10 commons, three (3) uncommons, one land, and one token.  No foils in either pack.

Both packs tore open far easier than any other pack I've ever had.

Is it just a fluke? Have you hand any like that?

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: Should there be a rare in every booster pack?

Yep, that's definitely not right.  One of two things....

1. There was some type of mixup at the factory and some amount of boosters got out without a rare.  Seems odd, but I know there were plenty of cases where there were double rares in packs, so I guess seeing zero might not be unheard of.  You might be able to write Wizards and see if they might reimburse you.  They'll probably ask for some numbers off the packaging, so hopefully you still have that.  Not sure if they'll care though.

2. A lot of large retail stores have problems with people stealing from their boosters.  Most of the time people just cut down the side and take all the cards.  Just slipping out the rare seems odd and tedious for a thief, but given that you said the packaging was a bit off, that might be the case.

I was wondering if tampering might be at play,simply because it was two packs from the same store.  The difficult thing about these is that they are the boosters that sit in the cardboard jackets.  That tips the likelihood toward it being some sort of packaging error at the factory.

I did keep the packaging, and I did reach out via WotC's support page.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I'm curious to know how this played out.
I recall one of my friends getting 2 and even 3 rares in a few packs back from Time Spiral, and naturally he had no complaints about his back having an "extra" damnation. How did WotC handle the situation?