Topic: xenagos, the reveler reviews?(theros prerelease)

So I just seen the prerelease the xenagos, the reveler a grull walker for 4 mana
To me it seemed pretty good so I preordered 4 of them for 130.00
Does anybody have any input on whether the value go up, down, stay the same
Will it see play? or not?
Please give me your opinions

Re: xenagos, the reveler reviews?(theros prerelease)

Hes good but I dont see him being worth 30ish a peice. Hes on the same level as Garruk Wildspeaker since their abilties are similiar.

He'll def see play in standard for sure in some Gruul Aggro build but since Domri is only around 23ish, I see him falling to around that range. The majority of Planeswalkers (LoTV, JTMS, Elspeth 1 excluded) dont really hold value that well.

Last edited by Helios52 (2013-09-05 02:11:35)

Preorder prices can be higher or lower than actual value, but planeswalkers seem to consistently priced higher during presale during the past few sets.

I collect funny, epic, or unique flavor texts (foil if applicable)
Looking to purchase one player rewards and one judge foil Wasteland.
Tradelist | Wishist

shifty4690 wrote:

Preorder prices can be higher or lower than actual value, but planeswalkers seem to consistently priced higher during presale during the past few sets.

Because nobody wants to sell the next JTMS for $15 again >_>

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

He'll find a niche in REALLY creature heavy decks with Domri, but I don't see him being $30-40 per.  He helps you ramp, but only if you already have creatures in play - isn't that one of the definitions of a win-more cards?  I could see him being $15 - sort of like Jace, AOT at the moment, but not the major workhorse that some are expecting.

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but Garruk, Primal Hunter created more creature and card advantage and he didn't see much play, despite only costing one more mana.

The bigger question is, why did R/G get another walker so soon?  He fits the color flavor, but it almost seems like there's a third one in store for the set or something...

The third one will be a 1BU I believe

Edit: Yup

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver 1UB
Planeswalker - Ashiok [MYTHIC]
+2: Exile the top three cards of target opponent's library.
-X: Put a creature card with converted mana cost X exiled with Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver onto the battlefield under your control. That creature is a Nightmare in addition to its other types.
-10: Exile all cards from all opponents' hands and graveyards.
Loyalty: 3

Last edited by UnstableFlux (2013-09-05 11:42:43)

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

UnstableFlux wrote:
shifty4690 wrote:

Because nobody wants to sell the next JTMS for $15 again >_>

Yeah pretty much. Look at it this way: for the same price right now, you can get either a playset of Xenagos, or a playset of Liliana of the Veil. I know which one I'd rather have.

Will end up being a ~$12-15 card.

It's NOT good in a deck with Domri - they both want the same things (lots of creatures), but Domri is much, much better.  1 less cmc, gives card draw (much better than mana), gives removal.

He's like a Garruk except his beasts aren't nearly as good (2 toughness vs. 3 will mean a lot with the premier red removal being Magma Jet and Shock).

Overall, B- / C+.

thanks all for the responses

The closest thing to him would be Garruk Relentless so I imagine it would follow a similar trend (http://ark42.com/mtg/pricehistory.php?q … ss&d=0).

He could be good in a midrangey RG list provided that the format is not hyper aggressive.  My intuition is saying that the format will slow down just from a lot of the hasty dudes rotating out (Flinthoof, Mauler, Hellrider, Aristocrat, etc.).  As always, Planeswalkers give UW/Esper a hard time and this is no different. 

I think one of the best way to use him is to activate monstrosities, specifically Ember Swallower.  Consider T2 Caryatid, T3 Swallower, T4 Xenagos -> dude, T5 blow up lands.  Fairly proactive curve and sets other grindy deck backs if uncontested.  However, not something you want to be doing against the aggro decks.

I think he looks really strong. You have to remember when it comes to standard gruul is losing a lot of the creatures they have lived around. Hell rider, thundermaw, strangleroot geist, and god forbid flinthoof. Domri had really good synergy with those cards, but without them gruul will be slowed down and this planeswalker seems like a new direction for gruul.

To be honest, I think Gruul got better with Theros.

Henkers wrote:

I think he looks really strong. You have to remember when it comes to standard gruul is losing a lot of the creatures they have lived around. Hell rider, thundermaw, strangleroot geist, and god forbid flinthoof. Domri had really good synergy with those cards, but without them gruul will be slowed down and this planeswalker seems like a new direction for gruul.

Gruul is losing Hellrider, yes.  But have you noticed Purphoros' ability?  New four-drop in red and gruul decks is indestructible AND pings the opponent for two whenever another creature enters the battlefield.  Given that life gain will not be as dramatic without Thragtusk available, that's quite a useful ability.  Gruul is just fine as there are plenty of usable low drops and this guy just helps that little bit more.

I look at Xenagos as the Burning-Tree Emissary PW who, if you're playing your cards right, equates to a free PW.  He's not sitting on the most amazing abilities and odds are that deck isn't really ramping all that much; BUT, anytime you can cast something and get all the mana back (making it free) that's a good thing.  And activating monstrous is possible there too as Neokarasu said.  Or filling the gap into that Ruric-Thar to seal the game...

That being said, I can see him in the $10-15 range, but by no means $30-40 like LilyOtV.