Re: Missing printings, card numbers, editions for specific cards

Kammikaze wrote:
GertjanL wrote:

When will the WMCQ promo Geist of Saint Traft be added? Thanks.

Reference for Sebi: Promo Geist of Saint Traft

Thanks for adding the information Kammikaze smile. I'm new to the procedure here.

GertjanL wrote:

Thanks for adding the information Kammikaze smile. I'm new to the procedure here.

Just helping when I can. smile

Kammikaze wrote:
GertjanL wrote:

When will the WMCQ promo Geist of Saint Traft be added? Thanks.

Reference for Sebi: Promo Geist of Saint Traft

Added now. Thanks!

Ajani Vengeant promo has two versions in the database: "Launch Parties (Card #4)" and "Prerelease Events (Card #38)".  They both show the exact same card image.  This can't be right, can it?

that is how tcgplayer has him.

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

Chaim wrote:

And how are you supposed to tell which is which?  Note that the "Launch Parties" edition has no price data on that page.  I think the issue here is that the same card (with the same date stamped in foil) was given out at both the prerelease and the launch party events.  It's the same card, from the same stock.  That it was given out at two different events doesn't make them different editions.

Last edited by IronMagus (2014-09-03 22:00:03)

IronMagus wrote:
Chaim wrote:

And how are you supposed to tell which is which?  Note that the "Launch Parties" edition has no price data on that page.  I think the issue here is that the same card (with the same date stamped in foil) was given out at both the prerelease and the launch party events.  It's the same card, from the same stock.  That it was given out at two different events doesn't make them different editions.

true.
so they should be combined as one

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.

Yes, magiccards.info also has one entry for each of these...

http://magiccards.info/mlp/en/4.html
http://magiccards.info/ptc/en/38.html

This is the same as Suture Priest. It was given out as a prize/promo, but it was the exact same card as was in the set.

Kammikaze wrote:

This is the same as Suture Priest. It was given out as a prize/promo, but it was the exact same card as was in the set.

Kind of, but the Suture Priests at least came from different stock.  The ones given out as promos weren't pulled from the same card pool that would later be put in booster packs.  What I mean by this is that there were sheets printed that consisted of nothing but Suture Priests and Pristine Talismans.  These were cut up, packaged in pairs, and distributed to event coordinators to hand out to the players on Game Day.  The ones in booster packs, on the other hand, came from a separate print run of regular common sheets that were printed with one of each common, then cut up and randomized before being inserted into the packs.  The two versions of the card may look identical to each other, but they do still come from different sources, even if there's no way to actually determine which is which, after the fact.

With Ajani V., it's a different story.  There were no two separate versions.  Event coordinators received a large supply of Ajani V. promos, and were told to "give some of these out at the Prerelease event, and then just give the rest of them out at the Launch Party a week later."  There was no separate source for the "Prerelase" and "Launch Party" versions of the card, because they aren't two different versions.  Whether you got your copy at the Launch Party or a week earlier, they come from the same place either way.  But my promo Suture Priest is still something "special," different from the ones in booster packs, even if no one knows it but me.

But letting people trade on the specialness when there is no way to verify it is a bad idea.

LovesTha wrote:

But letting people trade on the specialness when there is no way to verify it is a bad idea.

Also true.  My point is just that while there may be no discernable difference between the promo and regular Suture Priests, there is still some difference (in that they come from different sources), but there is no difference at all in the Ajani V. promos because they came from the exact same stock.

LovesTha wrote:

Actually since they were sent out in packs of two, you could find someone with a sealed pack.  That's the only way I know that you could tell.  I haven't seen this with this particular promo, but other promos occasionally come up on e-bay or other places still sealed.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-05 12:17:42)

IronMagus wrote:
LovesTha wrote:

Also true.  My point is just that while there may be no discernable difference between the promo and regular Suture Priests, there is still some difference (in that they come from different sources), but there is no difference at all in the Ajani V. promos because they came from the exact same stock.

But for the purposes of this site, that is not a meaningful distinction, because there is no way to verify it (unless you have it sealed, in which case you would list it differently.)

Chaim wrote:
IronMagus wrote:
LovesTha wrote:

But for the purposes of this site, that is not a meaningful distinction, because there is no way to verify it (unless you have it sealed, in which case you would list it differently.)

How would you list it differently?  If you do list it differently, how is anyone going to be able to find it/search for it?  One of the great things about deckbox is that I can search for a specific card and find multiple people that have that available and see at a glance if I have anything they also need.  Sure you could go to other sites and look for this card, but it's much harder to initiate a trade that doesn't involve money using something like e-bay...  Listing this as available and then being open to a discussion about it makes it easier to track down obscure things like this.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-05 14:54:12)

Since the "promo" Suture Priest was released in a sealed pack sort of thing it makes sense to keep that version as an option. When I suggested it be removed I didn't know it was released in a sealed package.

gumgodMTG wrote:

Listing this as available and then being open to a discussion about it makes it easier to track down obscure things like this.

Okay. As a collector and a historian (not of Magic) I can understand that.

Kammikaze wrote:

Since the "promo" Suture Priest was released in a sealed pack sort of thing it makes sense to keep that version as an option. When I suggested it be removed I didn't know it was released in a sealed package.

What I'm finding when I search indicates that it wasn't distributed to players as a set.

Last edited by Chaim (2014-09-05 17:49:24)

Chaim wrote:

What I'm finding when I search indicates that it wasn't distributed to players as a set.

There are a ton of things that weren't distributed to players that end up in their hands anyway. Summer magic is probably the most famous.

Kammikaze wrote:
Chaim wrote:

There are a ton of things that weren't distributed to players that end up in their hands anyway. Summer magic is probably the most famous.

Okay, that is definitely true. The question is, were they in any form of packaging? However, I think this is going a bit far off topic.

Chaim wrote:

Okay, that is definitely true. The question is, were they in any form of packaging? However, I think this is going a bit far off topic.

They were in booster packs and boxes like any other set. In regards to Suture Priest, even though the "promo" version looks identical to a pack version the fact that the promo version could be distinguishable means it should probably stay as an option.

I also mentioned this in the price thread, but there are six cards in Portal that should have two versions.   These were in one of the intro packs (demo game) and have reminder text.  The versions with reminder text are rarer than the booster version which does not have reminder text.  The Storm Crow with reminder text in NM condition is about $7.50 compared to the pack version which is much cheaper.

The following six Portal cards should have two versions available.

• Armored Pegasus

• Bull Hippo

• Cloud Pirates

• Feral Shadow

• Snapping Drake

• Storm Crow

Images can be found on magiccards.info: 
http://magiccards.info/pot/en.html
ABU games has some of them for sale also if you're looking for pricing info.

Also I'd love to see all tokens available, particularly promo tokens, but really all tokens from all sets.

A good resource for token info is here:
http://magiccards.info/extras.html

Thanks Sebi for all your hard work on the site!

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-09-05 18:52:31)

Just a heads-up, the FNM promo banishing light doesn't seem to have an entry yet.

Currently Missing:
Banishing Light (FNM Promo)
Duel Deck (Speed vs Cunning)

das1330 wrote:

Currently Missing:
Banishing Light (FNM Promo)
Duel Deck (Speed vs Cunning)

Both were added earlier today, see announcements thread.

gumgodMTG wrote:

I also mentioned this in the price thread, but there are six cards in Portal that should have two versions.   These were in one of the intro packs (demo game) and have reminder text.  The versions with reminder text are rarer than the booster version which does not have reminder text.  The Storm Crow with reminder text in NM condition is about $7.50 compared to the pack version which is much cheaper.

The following six Portal cards should have two versions available.

• Armored Pegasus

• Bull Hippo

• Cloud Pirates

• Feral Shadow

• Snapping Drake

• Storm Crow

The Portal Demogame cards are actually already in the database, but listed under a special promo edition, much like on magiccards.info.

http://deckbox.org/editions/158-portal-demogame