Topic: Mods, is it possible to get a faster update on prices?

Currently snapcaster mage, for example, appears to be $26 on deckbox, but is actually $35 on TCG.  I'm not sure how often deckbox.org updates these prices but it seems like a lot of people are trying to take advantage of the discrepancy by proposing trades at the deckbox value before it corrects.

Re: Mods, is it possible to get a faster update on prices?

mboyarsky wrote:

...but it seems like a lot of people are trying to take advantage of the discrepancy by proposing trades at the deckbox value before it corrects.

The day Dark Depths shot up in price, nearly doubling from $25 to $50, someone immediately proposed a trade for my four. This is how it went...

wat do you want for a dark depths?
Nothing at the moment. I saw all the copies of this card disappear off TCGplayer today and, right now, there's only two listed at $50/each.
Ave is 32?
That might be what deckbox tells you, but when there are only four of them for sale, all at $50, the average is no longer $32.

So, basically, he knew there was a price spike, but wanted me to hold to the outdated deckbox average price. What a douche bag.

outofstep wrote:
mboyarsky wrote:

...but it seems like a lot of people are trying to take advantage of the discrepancy by proposing trades at the deckbox value before it corrects.

The day Dark Depths shot up in price, nearly doubling from $25 to $50, someone immediately proposed a trade for my four. This is how it went...

Nothing at the moment. I saw all the copies of this card disappear off TCGplayer today and, right now, there's only two listed at $50/each.
Ave is 32?
That might be what deckbox tells you, but when there are only four of them for sale, all at $50, the average is no longer $32.

So, basically, he knew there was a price spike, but wanted me to hold to the outdated deckbox average price. What a douche bag.

I'd like to counter his offer with a solid 33 dollar offer for one dark depths...
But in all seriousness half the websites fault half your own fault for not knowing prices if you trade it badly. There is a guy who tries to screw people at my EX LGS (I'm no longer allowed there) for calling him out on bad trades (trades heavily in his favor) with new/young players and the shop keeper let it happen because he knew in the end he would get those high value quick selling cards. To sum this up, if you're a scumbag either IRL or on the internet I won't want to trade with you.

Certainly to some extent there's an element of personal responsibility, but it's a bit misleading (even for people trying to be diligent) when deckbox displays a price quoted from TCG that widely varies from the current one.  This only happens when cards spike in value so it's not a huge deal, but it'd be nice if it could be updated a little more often.  Snapcaster was already up in value yesterday and it's still not current.

For anyone using Chrome, you should install the Autocard Anywhere extension. It will hyperlink card names that it sees in Chrome and pull in the current tcgplayer low/mid/high prices when you mouse over the link.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … fabg?hl=en

Thanks for the extension link, that's pretty sweet

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

that addon is epic. thanks!

Last edited by fairportmagic (2014-02-26 17:56:20)

From my understanding it has to do with how Deckbox connects to the TCG API. Similar but not entirely related to how some prices for certain cards read as 0.00 despite them being actually worth an actual amount. Please dont quote me on this tho. I will ask sebi how often prices are updated and or what the schedule is for pricing updates to the site.

On another note, that pluggin is great. Only problem for me is that when clicking on the card that usually takes you to the Deckbox card profile, it links it to the actual TCG player.com page which happens to be blocked at my place of employment haha.

outofstep wrote:
mboyarsky wrote:

Ave is 32?

God this is annoying. I have had this happen with every single card I own that has spiked.

Helios52 wrote:

On another note, that pluggin is great. Only problem for me is that when clicking on the card that usually takes you to the Deckbox card profile, it links it to the actual TCG player.com page which happens to be blocked at my place of employment haha.

There is an option in the extension to "Replace any existing card link" which is defaulted checked, maybe unchecking that will help with your issue. I'm also a big fan of the Whitelist area, where I can put in specific URLs I want, so I don't see card links when reading cnn.com or /r/Android.

I can confirm unchecking that option works. Thanks outofstep big_smile

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

Any update?  Snapcaster is still showing low.

mboyarsky wrote:

Any update?  Snapcaster is still showing low.

This is the Reddit MTG Trades group forum. We like Reddit and MTG and Trades. Here's a link to the site feedback forum: http://deckbox.org/forum/viewforum.php?id=3. Hopefully someone can help you there.

Ah, I didn't realize that forum existed.  I'll post over there as well.  Thanks.

I def. understand people having (some) issues with the price change. Please be patient with the Deckbox staff as not only do they have a lot on their plate, they have normal lives that involve homes, work, wives and children. If you know the prices are off, simply relay them to the trader or do due diligence and (respectfully) communicate the price changes to your fellow trader. There are a ton of cards here that are actually lower than the value listed, but ironically there are no complaints about this in this thread. We as Deckbox junkies can't expect to have it both ways only making a public observation when it is in our personal interest. For now, lets just be aware that the prices are sometimes different and we have to double check and communicate amongst each other while the Admins fix what we can not. We control the spikes not them.....

I didn't mean to sound impatient, as I certainly appreciate the work that the mods do.  I was more of just trying to follow up with Helios52 to see if he had heard anything.

And I think that while you're correct that people would mention it a lot less when a card goes down, spikes up are usually much more pronounced.  For example, deathrite was banned in modern and has since (very) slowly crept down from 13 to 11, whereas after cards like snapcaster do well at the pro tour, they jump from 26 to 35 overnight.

You're definitely right that we do just need to be aware that prices fluctuate, but I was more concerned about people who might not realize when a card has spiked because they trusted that deckbox was pulling directly and immediately from TCG.

Not to blame the victim, but people have some responsibility to be aware of trade values and I wouldn't trust any source implicitly. If your 100% content to never question deckbox prices then you shouldn't be real upset if you loose a few dollars in trade value imo.

For anyone interested, Sebi responded to the post I made on the "Site feedback and discussion" forum (http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18330). 

sebi wrote:

Yep, we've been having some issues with our price importer these last few weeks. The prices will be updated tonight and I hope I fixed the issues and this will not happen in the future.