Re: Release 3.0: Deckbox Market

Xan wrote:

In addition, as part of the "controls" others have mentioned that they hope sellers will have, it would be nice to auto-block anyone with a bad reputation. This is particularly valuable as sellers do not get the option to approve of a sale. Make it a setting sellers can change-- how bad is "bad," or disable the auto-block entirely, or make an exception for this one dude, etc.

Good idea in principle, but not sure what "bad" would mean. People who are suspended, banned, scammers, or involved in a disputed BTR are already not allowed to buy, trade or sell. Not sure what other conditions would qualify for the 'badness' smile. Trade score maybe?

I haven't looked, but are there options for different shipping rates? Two-day vs standard, or a bulk discount

Yep, you can add multiple shipping options, each with their own price and description. You can also set the maximum number of cards you can ship with each of the options. No options for bulk discout yet though.

Xan wrote:

As Helios said. It is the ability to have your entire inventory tracked in one location. I used to track it on paper (only for the most important cards), then it went to spreadsheets. Deckbox is much more convenient as an inventory management system. It just makes sense to sell from the place that already has all your cards listed.

It also gives people a chance to see what you have that isn't on your sell list. I can't even guess at how many times I've looked around my small town for a card and not found it on a tradelist, but found it in an inventory. Sometimes what you aren't willing to sell/trade today, you can be convinced to sell or trade tomorrow (maybe for a higher price than you anticipated). On any other site I know of, if you don't list it, I won't know you have it.

Speaking of, hey Sebi. Is there a way to block contact from other users? For instance, if somebody is bugging me, or I have a sale go bad with someone, can I block them and ensure they can't buy from me again (or contact me in any way)? I'm not talking about blocking feedback, just blocking contact not related to previous sales/trades.

The inventory management needs to be a little more than, "You own 7 of these. Somewhere." to be considered an actual inventory management tool. Should someone buy something from me, I would use an inventory management tool to find out where it is (what deck it's in, or which trade binder, or which filing cabinet) so that I can quickly and easily pull it and ship it. Until I can track what I have AND where, it's just a card list with quick links to aggregated data, which is nothing new. The community is the big difference here, and with new features rolling out like this, hopefully the community will be able to thrive and do so much more.

As for 'convincing' someone to sell of of their tradelist, it seems to be one of the highest demanded features on this website to get rid of that 'functionality'. Being harassed to trade cards out of your decks that you aren't willing to trade seems to be a bother for people on this site, and one could certainly see why. It might be alleviated by allowing users to block one another, to get rid of that guy who is 'bugging you' to sell your Underground Sea out of your EDH deck, but being able to set inventory to private fixes that problem without losing any potential sales due to heavy-handed blocking.

My big concern is the non-acceptance of the sale. What if I go out to FNM and finally find someone willing to drop that $200 on my book-promo Jace, only to come home and find that someone else tried to simultaneously line my pockets for that same card? I no longer have it, and now my choices are to either go buy another one to sell and ship at a loss, or cancel and get negative feedback? I don't have a phone with constant internet to be hooked into this website 24/7. If efficiency is the concern, than giving a small window for seller acceptance would be a solution, such as 12-24 hours. You click that you're willing to buy, and if/when the seller clicks accept then money gets transferred. If nothing happens by the end of time, the buy offer disappears.

As I stated above, the thing that sets this site apart from it's competition is the community, and the community works best when it works together. People communicate and come to an understanding on their trades with which they are both agreeable, and everyone walks away happy. It is cooperation through compromise. Creating a community divide of buyer vs. seller, where the buyer is trying to 'win' and the seller is forced to play on the defensive in order to not 'lose', is very much at odds with the original feel of this website, if not its goals. I am glad that Sebi is pushing Deckbox into new territory, because stagnation is death. I can only hope that it continues to grow in a direction that is positive for it's entire community: developers and users, buyers and sellers, alike.

Ripptor wrote:

The inventory management needs to be a little more than, "You own 7 of these. Somewhere." to be considered an actual inventory management tool. Should someone buy something from me, I would use an inventory management tool to find out where it is (what deck it's in, or which trade binder, or which filing cabinet) so that I can quickly and easily pull it and ship it. Until I can track what I have AND where, it's just a card list with quick links to aggregated data, which is nothing new. The community is the big difference here, and with new features rolling out like this, hopefully the community will be able to thrive and do so much more.

You can.  If you create decks and you click on the link to a card's page it will tell you which decks you have that use that card. Assuming you keep your decks accurate you could use this to track whatever random stack of cards you want.  If you want to track a binder make a deck called binder 1.  This does have the limitation however of not tracking the specific edition.  So for a card like Artisan of Kozilek that I had to track down last night I had to check two places because one had the commander version and one had the Eldrazi version, but at least I knew which two decks to look in.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-03-25 15:50:07)

Post's attachments

example.jpg 98.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Ripptor wrote:

The inventory management needs to be a little more than, "You own 7 of these. Somewhere." to be considered an actual inventory management tool. Should someone buy something from me, I would use an inventory management tool to find out where it is (what deck it's in, or which trade binder, or which filing cabinet) so that I can quickly and easily pull it and ship it.

Tracking the physical location of an item is very difficult to do. I don't fault Deckbox for not having this feature (although it does tell you which deck(s) they are in, assuming you keep your decks up-to-date). Sure, Deckbox could have a text field and for users to manually type in the location of a card, but that's a pretty slow means of cataloging thousands of individual cards, especially if the location changes. There could be a bulk editing function for this, but it would still be clunky and couldn't possibly help if you misplace something.

If you want your stuff organized, organize it. It isn't that hard to alphabetize and store them in labeled boxes/binders. If your collection is large it will take some serious time, but there is no way Deckbox can change that. Watch TV or listen to an audiobook while you sort. For trade binders, make a "deck" and label it as the trade binder in question (Big Green Hardcase, or whatever). Problem solved.

Ripptor wrote:

As for 'convincing' someone to sell of of their tradelist, it seems to be one of the highest demanded features on this website to get rid of that 'functionality'. Being harassed to trade cards out of your decks that you aren't willing to trade seems to be a bother for people on this site, and one could certainly see why. It might be alleviated by allowing users to block one another, to get rid of that guy who is 'bugging you' to sell your Underground Sea out of your EDH deck, but being able to set inventory to private fixes that problem without losing any potential sales due to heavy-handed blocking.

I hadn't thought of this, probably since it hasn't been an issue for me. Small town and local trades; if I have to say "no" to somebody every couple months, who cares? But I suppose this would be a problem if it was once a day.

Still, I find the ability useful. I wonder if there is a way to preserve that ability and alleviate the annoyances that apparently derive from it... but I can't think of a workable solution. sad

gumgodMTG wrote:

If you want to track a binder make a deck called binder 1.  This does have the limitation however of not tracking the specific edition.  So for a card like Artisan of Kozilek that I had to track down last night I had to check two places because one had the commander version and one had the Eldrazi version, but at least I knew which two decks to look in.

It is this limitation that is the problem. I can't set the edition. I can't set the foil status. I can't set it's promo status. When I have 10+ Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, some of which are foil, and some of which are the release promo, I can't keep track of where they are in my 10,000 cards, 20 binders, 6 Modern decks, 5 EDH decks, and multiple column boxes. Now imagine it is something much more complex, like Wrath of God, which is an auto-include in most white EDH decks, and has more editions and promos than almost anything else. I have to check up to 10 places to find that one card. Per card. It is massively inefficient to only have a list of everything that has, 'Some kind of Wrath of God in it'. That's why I have my spreadsheets. And Deckbox currently doesn't replace Excel as an inventory management system due to it's severe limitations on card information.

Xan wrote:

Tracking the physical location of an item is very difficult to do. I don't fault Deckbox for not having this feature (although it does tell you which deck(s) they are in, assuming you keep your decks up-to-date). Sure, Deckbox could have a text field and for users to manually type in the location of a card, but that's a pretty slow means of cataloging thousands of individual cards, especially if the location changes. There could be a bulk editing function for this, but it would still be clunky and couldn't possibly help if you misplace something.

If you want your stuff organized, organize it.

As has been pointed out above, it is a difficult thing to do physically (though I have already done it.) However, it is trivial to do, even with something as simple as an Excel spreadsheet, to so electronically. You simply have to be able to list what exactly is where, and do a reverse look-up to find each location that the exact card is. A text field is indeed inefficient, and entirely unnecessary. When the location changes, you update the inventory. Every store that I've ever been to/worked for has an inventory management system that can track individual items of a large stock. This is even simpler, as you only need a specific type (The foil Buy-A-Box Celestial Colonnade, for a recent example). I shouldn't have to go through every binder/deck/box that has some kind of Colonnade in order to find one. It's the ability to walk across the office, pick up a single container, and find exactly what I'm looking for, which an inventory management system should offer. I hope it's in the works eventually, but until then, I have my system in place, externally from this website.

As part of the seller requirements, the following is stated:

You also will need to provide a description of your store policies, your shipping fees and a billing address

This feels a bit vague, at least with the first part (store policies). I'm interested in selling cards, but I'm not a professional business; could we get an example of what policies you are looking for/ a boilerplate that all sellers must comply to as a baseline?

I'm excited about this, but I wanna get all my ducks in a row before I jump in.

First, let me say, Ripptor, that the idea of putting a version to what is in a deck would be nice. That neatly solves (or mostly solves) what I thought of with a text field, at least for decks. But unless you are making a "deck" for every storage box, with the thousands of cards in any one box, it won't solve the problem you presented.

Ripptor wrote:

...I have to check up to 10 places to find that one card. Per card. It is massively inefficient to only have a list of everything that has, 'Some kind of Wrath of God in it'. That's why I have my spreadsheets. And Deckbox currently doesn't replace Excel as an inventory management system due to it's severe limitations on card information.

...Or you could simply remove from your decks the items you are selling and label your boxes. If you are selling a Wrath of God, that would mean you aren't using it, so you don't need to check your decks. The version/promo/foil/whatever wouldn't matter, since you picked one to sell and that one would be in one of two locations: a box labeled "White Rares," or a binder labeled "White Trades" or whatever. Splitting things into multiple places is an inherently bad inventory practice, for the exact reason you explained- it adds complexity.

Until a version option is added to the deck lists, you could proxy something if you want to run it until trading/selling it. If you are going somewhere that discourages proxies, you could just remember that your promo Wrath of God is in that deck. This isn't a problem most users are going to have.

Ripptor wrote:

...Every store that I've ever been to/worked for has an inventory management system that can track individual items of a large stock...

When the computer says there are 11 items on the shelf, the back room has 5, 3 are in the mail and 1 is out for RMA, and you count the items but get 18, you know something is wrong and no database or spreadsheet can tell you where the missing items are.

Last edited by Xan (2014-03-25 18:58:48)

Finally news on the API! I'm glad to hear it should be readable in May. Please bear in mind I'll be quoting you on that one ;-) Over 7 thousand fine iDeckbox Users wait for me to extend the app and my hands are tied until the API shows up.

If you need help or have questions about potential usage, just drop me a line.

Cheers!

http://ajfek.pl/mlc-banner.gif
^^ Help me spread the good news! big_smile

Xan wrote:

But unless you are making a "deck" for every storage box, with the thousands of cards in any one box, it won't solve the problem you presented.

Yes, as was suggested above, that is what would be entailed. It wouldn't be a good inventory management system if I couldn't put my inventory in it.

Xan wrote:

...Or you could simply remove from your decks the items you are selling and label your boxes. If you are selling a Wrath of God, that would mean you aren't using it, so you don't need to check your decks. The version/promo/foil/whatever wouldn't matter, since you picked one to sell and that one would be in one of two locations: a box labeled "White Rares," or a binder labeled "White Trades" or whatever. Splitting things into multiple places is an inherently bad inventory practice, for the exact reason you explained- it adds complexity.

Any system that is implemented for 'convenience' should enable the user, not disable them. A system that requires me to entirely change the way I do business and cripple my ability to do what I want, in any way, is undesirable by definition. I don't run proxies, and I'm not going to start. I don't own a single binder large enough to compromise my 'White Trades'. I run many binders of cards (such as full card sets, dollar rares, EDH staples, etc.) in order to reach different audiences of traders/sellers. I don't need a system that gets in my way, and neither does any business. Splitting things in different places is common inventory practice, which is why inventory management systems exist. If you don't need one personally, that's your personal situation, and one that many people don't share.

Xan wrote:

Until a version option is added to the deck lists, you could proxy something if you want to run it until trading/selling it. If you are going somewhere that discourages proxies, you could just remember that your promo Wrath of God is in that deck. This isn't a problem most users are going to have.

If your solution to inventory management is, 'Just remember where it is,' more power to you. There is a reason, however, that actual inventory management solutions exist in the IT world, and are thriving businesses. Not everyone can keep track of over 10,000 items that are constantly moving around.

Xan wrote:

When the computer says there are 11 items on the shelf, the back room has 5, 3 are in the mail and 1 is out for RMA, and you count the items but get 18, you know something is wrong and no database or spreadsheet can tell you where the missing items are.

Sigh... Irrelevant. User error has never, and will never, mean an IT solution is better/worse than another. If we assume everyone in the world is incapable of doing anything correctly, than no system is safe from the idiocy of its users. Typing in wrong/random information will confuse any system, including the simple 'card list' inventory. When you're holding a card, and it's not on the list, the list doesn't explain to you why it's not on there, does it?

At any rate, your argument for Deckbox being an inventory management solution seems to mainly stem from one point: Make a 'card list' inventory work for you. The simple counter-point to that is: Why lose functionality and efficiency to match an inventory system that lacks functionality and efficiency? If I want to be able to do more than simply store my cards in alphabetical order, in one box on one shelf, there is no compelling reason to go back to that system. Especially when what you currently have accommodates you just fine, allowing you the freedom to manage your inventory in the way that bests fits your selling practice.

Really, the point of my saying that Deckbox isn't an inventory management system was to point out that a simple 'card list' inventory is not something unique to Deckbox, or what sets it apart from it's competition (as was put forward by another user). You can find that anywhere. What sets Deckbox aside is the cooperative community of people working together for the mutual benefit of all those involved. It puts it in a unique position to offer something that not many other platform can currently provide, and I pointed out that maybe it should continue to explore the options available to continue that community cooperation throughout the next stage of this platform's life, the marketplace.

This platform operated as a bazaar, as far as trading went, where one would go from stand to stand looking for someone willing to make a deal with them from which they mutually benefited. Adding money into that situation could change very little of that lifestyle: One simply offers a crisp 5 pound note at each stand, instead of a sleeved Steam Vents. If a stand owner was willing to deal, they could barter to a point where they were both happy, and they were both free to walk away at any time.

Instead we're seeing a machinated system where people approach vending machines instead of people, insert an amount of money, and expect the machine to do as it's told. The machine can set certain conditions, but it really boils down to this: It's not allowed to say 'no'. I believe the loss of humanity in that in that system, and the loss of the 'mutual good' mentality, is far removed from the origins, and special capabilities, of a platform that started out as Deckbox had. I am merely putting forth that other implementations should be considered, to keep this platform unique and closer to its roots, and community.

Ripptor wrote:

As for 'convincing' someone to sell out of their tradelist inventory, it seems to be one of the highest demanded features on this website to get rid of that 'functionality'. Being harassed to trade cards out of your decks that you aren't willing to trade seems to be a bother for people on this site, and one could certainly see why. It might be alleviated by allowing users to block one another, to get rid of that guy who is 'bugging you' to sell your Underground Sea out of your EDH deck, but being able to set inventory to private fixes that problem without losing any potential sales due to heavy-handed blocking.

This is another reason for inventories to be private, in addition to the safety issues with someone with an extensive inventory giving their address out to receive $5 in cards...  I don't think this is an issue selling cards though since I think you have to opt in to each card you want to sell.

I'm attempting to make a purchase from user "reliquary tower". When I go to check out, it has me select my address (which I did), and is requiring me select a shipping option -- but there is nothing from the drop-down menu, and I'm unable to proceed. Any suggestions?

My page says

"You have 1 orders that need your attention. Head over to the Orders section for more details." 

There's not an "orders section" in my menus on the left, but the word "orders" is a link, so I clicked on it.  This brings me to a page that says "My Orders" but is otherwise blank.  I haven't received anything in my PayPal account and my "Deckbox bill" says " You do not have any sold orders in this billing cycle. You will receive a 10$ discount on your next bill on account of the verification payment you have made."  So I'm a little confused.  Any help here would be nice.  I'd rather not have someone waiting on something, but as far as I can tell I haven't been paid for anything yet so... yea, what's going on?

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-03-26 14:22:05)

Post's attachments

orders2.jpg 87.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

gumgodMTG wrote:

My page says

"You have 1 orders that need your attention. Head over to the Orders section for more details." 

There's not an "orders section" in my menus on the left, but the word "orders" is a link, so I clicked on it.  This brings me to a page that says "My Orders" but is otherwise blank.  I haven't received anything in my PayPal account and my "Deckbox bill" says " You do not have any sold orders in this billing cycle. You will receive a 10$ discount on your next bill on account of the verification payment you have made."  So I'm a little confused.  Any help here would be nice.  I'd rather not have someone waiting on something, but as far as I can tell I haven't been paid for anything yet so... yea, what's going on?

I came here to ask this. Good to see I'm not the only one with this question.

Profile | Tradelist | Wishlist
I'll sometimes trade things in my Inventory. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Will you please add the ability for users to sell cards for crypto currency like bitcoin or dogecoin?

gumgodMTG wrote:

My page says

Sorry for that, it was a display issue. It should now say you haven't got any orders that need your attention again.

sebi wrote:

We've added a Vacation Mode. Find the setting by clicking on Edit Profile.

Hurray!!!

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Is the 6.9% figure firm? Combining that with PayPal fees brings the transaction cost to near 10%--pretty weighty. The transaction fee (sans PayPal fees) is more than twice typical merchant fees for handling credit cards.  Personally, I'd be more likely to sell if the fees were limited to not more than 3.5%.

I realize it's your business, so I don't want you to feel strong-armed away from the model you've decided upon. I'm just lobbying for the house to keep a smaller percentage of the take.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:

Is the 6.9% figure firm? Combining that with PayPal fees brings the transaction cost to near 10%--pretty weighty. The transaction fee (sans PayPal fees) is more than twice typical merchant fees for handling credit cards.  Personally, I'd be more likely to sell if the fees were limited to not more than 3.5%.

I realize it's your business, so I don't want you to feel strong-armed away from the model you've decided upon. I'm just lobbying for the house to keep a smaller percentage of the take.

It's fair when you compare it to other sites such as TCG Player or e-bay.
TCGplayer fee = 8.5% + PayPal / Credit Card processing fee = 2.5% + $0.50

sebi wrote:
gumgodMTG wrote:

My page says

Sorry for that, it was a display issue. It should now say you haven't got any orders that need your attention again.

Also, thank you.  smile

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-03-27 17:06:52)

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

Ripptor, you're of course right about the shortcomings of the inventory. We want to add for one, the option to make the inventory private, and secondly, a system of 'tagging' to help with cataloguing. This has been promised years and years ago and I did try out some things once or twice but did not find a satisfactory UI / workflow for them. But this time I am commited to find one smile If you have suggestions of inventory products ( not necessarily for Magic) that have intelligent systems I could research for this, I'd be very grateful.

Actinide, we thought about the "selling the old way" issue and its implications. I added a response for in at the bottom of the FAQ. The TL;DR is that we will not forbid it, but also we will not provide any support or dispute resolution for it (cause we can't, not in a satisfactory way). We will also post a warning on these trades to let the "buyer" side of them know of the risks.

With regard to the "Accept button" for sellers, there has been some more feedback in this Site Feedback thread, also with a lot of great points. I have posted my thoughts there just now. TL;DR is that I think canceling orders that cannot be shipped & refunding the money might be enough for the exceptional cases. Negative feedback from buyers would act as a deterrent for the sellers abusing this.

We also changed our mind on the rule that we will bill the refunded payments too. It was a stupid rule, and I'm sorry for that, my reasons for having it make no sense in retrospect smile. So, to clarify, we will NOT bill any Deckbox fees on payments that sellers refund.

sebi wrote:

Actinide, we thought about the "selling the old way" issue and its implications. I added a response for in at the bottom of the FAQ. The TL;DR is that we will not forbid it, but also we will not provide any support or dispute resolution for it (cause we can't, not in a satisfactory way). We will also post a warning on these trades to let the "buyer" side of them know of the risks.

Great, thank you.

Party on!!!

This is a WAY LONG TIME COMING feature!!!

Congratulations Sebi on this new announcement and I really look forward to take full advantage of this new service.  I already sell on TCGPlayer and I totally hate to keep track of two inventories and on top of that, TCGPlayer is super annoying when it comes to wait for their payment for over a week or so.

KUDOS!!!

Ripptor wrote:

My big concern is the non-acceptance of the sale. What if I go out to FNM and finally find someone willing to drop that $200 on my book-promo Jace, only to come home and find that someone else tried to simultaneously line my pockets for that same card? I no longer have it, and now my choices are to either go buy another one to sell and ship at a loss, or cancel and get negative feedback? I don't have a phone with constant internet to be hooked into this website 24/7.

Then perhaps selling cards online using a marketplace like this or many others isn't for you.  If you were serious about selling cards using these types of tools, rather than something like eBay, you'd either not list stuff in your trade binder, tell the guy you need to pull it from your sale list first, or find some way to remove it from your sale list on site (phone) before agreeing to the trade. 

I'm also not sure it's important to write walls of text explaining what you find lacking with regards to an inventory management tool.  I'm assuming that if you sell through TCGplayer you don't get the inventory functionality remotely close to deckbox.  That was the point of the initial reference to inventory management.

Last edited by shmebula (2014-03-28 21:01:11)

I just received my first order. I was disappointed to see that there was no way to "accept" the purchase and then automatically add the cards into my inventory and remove from my wishlist -- I thought that integration into my inventory was one of the big selling points with the new marketplace function, but it doesn't seem to do that very well yet, at least for buyers.

rfioren wrote:

I just received my first order. I was disappointed to see that there was no way to "accept" the purchase and then automatically add the cards into my inventory and remove from my wishlist -- I thought that integration into my inventory was one of the big selling points with the new marketplace function, but it doesn't seem to do that very well yet, at least for buyers.

The button is definitely coming in a couple of days!

Ripptor wrote:

...<see above>...

My original intent was not to convince you Deckbox is a perfect inventory management system. Merely that it can be used as one. Your thoughts are correct, but they do not reflect on Deckbox's capabilities so much as your refusal to adapt to its shortcomings. Yes, it is not perfect, yes, an IMS developed by a major company would have more features. That isn't the point.

If you have a system that works, use it. My suggestions were logical ways you can use Deckbox without adding extra things and still keep track of everything. Of course you would have to adapt what you do to match Deckbox; this is required for any inventory system that isn't customized for each user/company.

Perhaps instead of saying you won't use proxies, you should put them in the ten different trade binders that all have the same cards in them. Put the actual cards in one place, the proxies in the binders, and then when somebody asks, tell them you do have the actual cards but for organization keep them in one spot. Throw away the proxy as the actual card exchanges hands.

I feel like we are beginning to argue and we probably left beyond the topic of this thread awhile ago. It is only fair for you to respond once more here, but after that we should move to messages (if we feel it necessary to continue at all).