Re: v3.2: Card quick search and dialogs, chat on orders, selling policies

asrttyoxo wrote:

So do I understand that there isn't a mode for being able to sell sealed product and that type of stuff?

Not yet. Still thinking how to implement this. Also there are legal issues we need to read about first. You need to be an authorized reseller to be able to sell sealed product, so we, as a marketplace will probably need to have a policy that users agree to that says the user has to be allowed by wizards to sell sealed product.

I'm not entirely sure about this, did not research it yet properly. I'll get back to you on this. (But if any of you knows of the legal implications of this, would love to hear your input).

sebi wrote:
deathlord28 wrote:

Are you aware that the new pop up screen doesn't auto refresh.  Cause it used to be when you changed your wishlist it would then show up right away now you have to refresh it yourself to see if it was added.

Ah, you mean when you are in one of your other sets? Or where are you when you change it from the dialog?

If I were to hit ctrl - I and then find a card, it shows how many I have.  Then I click on edit to change the numbers.  After I change anything on that screen and hit apply it goes back to looking at the card. It doesn't update the numbers I just changed in the edit dialog without refreshing the screen manually.

So all this happens in the dialog, right? This is how it works for me:

Ctrl-i, search for Maafeld Twins:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvr3kyvrq5f1n … .42.11.png

Click edit, add 1 in inventory, 1 in wishlist:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmf2wjzwjunf2 … .42.20.png

Click apply:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr45z48z37d1t … .42.25.png

Is this not the same for you? Which browser are you using, I'll test it out?

Are there plans to put support for the promo-version (currently missing) of Marrow-Gnawer?

"It's" still becomes "It's" in your profile settings. apostrophes in general seem to be a big problem.

sebi wrote:
gumgodMTG wrote:

I understand that you're trying to simplify the look of the individual card pages, but adding more clicks to see the same information seems like poor design to me.

What are you referring to with more clicks?

I mean all of the information was simply presented on the page before.  Now to see the same information I have to click on something (usually multiple things).

For example if I go to the page for Swords to Plowshares (which the FTV 20 version deckbox market price is wrong on by the way).  I'm first shown the information for who has this for sale.  To get the information of how many I have from this page and what decks they are in I have to click on something else (My collection).  To see other decks that are running this card (which is something I do sometimes do) then I have to click on "Decks".  If I want to see which of my decks this card is in I have been clicking decks first, then realizing that's not what I need and clicking "my collection".  This is one of those little things where it seems like you are sacrificing the information at a glance in order to adhere to some new cleaner looking design, but for me I'd rather have all the information on one page.    Also the list of sellers is now longer because it's spaced differently than it used to be.

I'm also not a big fan of the drop down menu to select a set.  Again this is a great design for a mobile phone where space is limited and small things are harder to click on, but for the desktop version I'd like to just see the icons spread out.

I've attached a screenshot because I want you to see the way I see it.  To me it looks like a lot of wasted space.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-05-05 13:23:21)

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 177.99 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I'm double posting because I can only post one image per post.  Here is a screenshot from the mac (using Chrome for the browser on both).  I realize that everyone is going to have different screen resolutions and things are going to look different on various monitors and operating systems, but I'm still seeing this as just a lack of information and an increase in wasted space as opposed to some streamlined design.  More "clicks" = more "work" to get the same information that used to be there by default.  It does look good in the lightbox that comes up when you do a quick search for a card, but generally I don't want to look at it in a lightbox format.

I feel the same way about the card search.  When I click on "card database" and then click advanced search, the first field I usually want to search is name.  And to get to name I now have to add that field.  This is not always the case, but I search card name here more often than not, but you did add a "quick search" so I guess I need to get used to using that.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-05-05 13:39:40)

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.24.42 AM.png 970.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Well i can't use this site with my mobile phone anymore thanks for the update

100002135085765 wrote:

Well i can't use this site with my mobile phone anymore thanks for the update

I was using the site from my phone this morning.  Please elaborate on what is broken.

The new search doesn't fit on my screen it moves around and i don't see anywhere to add cards to my collection in it

sebi wrote:

Back to the topic at hand, it seems people liked the quick find input to always be present in the card database area. I will add it back, although pherhaps smaller, on the title bar, would still work, and save some space.

Thank you for doing this. I really liked the functionality better for several reasons.  You still have a great site wink

100002135085765 wrote:

The new search doesn't fit on my screen it moves around and i don't see anywhere to add cards to my collection in it

I see, yeah it pops the cards up in a lightbox.  (This is a javascritpt and CSS thing that looks really cool on desktops, but it's a bitch on phones).  What happens is that the new pop up page is centered over top of the existing page and if you try to scroll around it won't let you.  I can still use it on my phone but it is obnoxious.  Sebi you should read this.  I would love to see a separate mobile and desktop version of this site.

When not to use a lightbox:

When low screen resolutions are common in your user base
Normally, the height of a web page isn’t all that important, because everybody knows how to use a scroll bar. But low-resolution devices like netbooks and smartphones may only present a few hundred pixels of vertical space within the viewable area of their browsers, and if your lightbox is taller than the browser, it’s broken.

When a large amount of content is being presented
The beauty of a lightbox is that it allows users to focus on a limited task. If you find yourself cramming more than a few paragraphs of text or a few form fields, consider whether sending the user to a new page would be less disruptive.

When the same result could be accomplished some other way

Edited.

Last edited by sebi (2014-05-05 15:03:38)

gumgodMTG wrote:

I mean all of the information was simply presented on the page before.  Now to see the same information I have to click on something (usually multiple things).

Last week there was a topic on Site Feedback requesting the exact opposite thing, that they see the sellers up top and they want to see their inventory first actually. So we thought, fair enough, it gets to be too much vertical scrolling on one page, let's split this into tabs.

Some pages were also very bad with the old editions. Like http://deckbox.org/mtg/Swamp . THere are very many sellers and it was printed in very many editions, and it was unusable. Hence the dropdown.

The screenshot you sent indeed looks weird, the table should not float like that, I did not have a chance to test on very wide screens, will do so now, and also look at the mobile page issues, even if it's not pretty, it should definitely be usable.

I definitely agree we should also have a mobile layout, and I want to make one, but sadly there is not enough time for everything.

The tabs are 'sticky' by the way, if you always just look at your collection, it will always open with your collection, not the sellers (although that is what opens the first time you click).

DrakeSlade wrote:

Are there plans to put support for the promo-version (currently missing) of Marrow-Gnawer?

Yep, I put it on the list.

beacon wrote:

"It's" still becomes "It's" in your profile settings. apostrophes in general seem to be a big problem.

Fixing for next release.

After applying changes in the lightbox the "In your decks" section disappears. This happens whether or not any changes are made.

pics

I just realized that all actual card info (Gatherer's text, legality, etc.) is now gone, having been replaced by the large Collection/Sellers/Decks tab control. Is this info still easily accessible? Can it be added as a tab next to the others? (Especially useful if these tabs do indeed remember which you were on.) Deckbox loses a huge amount of functionality to me if I need to go elsewhere to look up errata-ed wording.

Also, regarding the modal "lightbox" design, can clicking outside of the box close it? I don't want to constantly find the "close" button with my mouse, and often don't have my hand near the Esc key while browsing. This would be consistent with many other sites that use modals.

Lastly, the Set dropdown on the modal is experiencing some weird behaviors: on Chrome, opening the dropdown scrolls the page to the top, which seems undesirable when looking through a long deck list. On Firefox 28, it doesn't scroll all the way to the top, and the dropdown list appears above the modal. In both cases, they scroll with the page, detached from the modal.

I lied about the lastly — middle-clicking on card links in Chrome is broken. Rather than opening up the link in a new tab as expected, it brings up the modal. Opening in a new tab in Chrome requires right clicking on the link. Firefox 28 works as expected.

It would be nice to have the card information back on card pages (oracle text, etc...). Helps a lot with older cards who's text have changed and/or are really hard to read from the image.
example: http://deckbox.org/mtg/Tawnos%27s%20Cof … collection
I'm assuming the card info was removed so the page could work as the new card pop-up, but maybe the pop-up and the full page could just be different. The tabs and drop-down boxes are good for the pop-up, but I think the full page would be better just having all the info displayed (no tabs, no drop-downs).

Having the permanent card search box on the card page would be nice too. The Ctrk-I feature seems great on pages that normally don't have search, but adds a keystroke in this case. It's also pretty tough to Ctrl-I on mobile. Drop downs, tabs, pop-ups, etc are all pretty difficult on a mobile phone. So having all the info just laid out straight on the full card page would help that as well.

I like the new layout overall. The info being separated makes it much cleaner. Is there any way we can have a setting to pick seller, collection, or decks as our default tab? I use this site more for trading then buying, but I know others may like sellers first. Also is there a way to bring back the "people who have this for trade" info?

Last edited by F3n1x (2014-05-05 18:10:20)

freshluggage wrote:

It would be nice to have the card information back on card pages (oracle text, etc...). Helps a lot with older cards who's text have changed and/or are really hard to read from the image.
example: http://deckbox.org/mtg/Tawnos%27s%20Cof … collection
I'm assuming the card info was removed so the page could work as the new card pop-up, but maybe the pop-up and the full page could just be different. The tabs and drop-down boxes are good for the pop-up, but I think the full page would be better just having all the info displayed (no tabs, no drop-downs).

Having the permanent card search box on the card page would be nice too. The Ctrk-I feature seems great on pages that normally don't have search, but adds a keystroke in this case. It's also pretty tough to Ctrl-I on mobile. Drop downs, tabs, pop-ups, etc are all pretty difficult on a mobile phone. So having all the info just laid out straight on the full card page would help that as well.

I completely agree with the missing info, especially the legality, oracle text, and being able to see all of the set icons at one time. I use the card info as much as anything else, and now it is gone. Also, being able to click on the set icon, and see the image of the card, and the price were great functions that are now gone. My experience is that it is more difficult to use as of today for my son and I. Why was Ctrl+I introduced at the cost of eliminating the permanent search box? It seems counter-intuitive to me to move card information to multiple tabs instead of one central landing page. I really have enjoyed using the site, and appreciate all of the work that goes into it. I'm just not completely sold on this new setup. It feels like it is catering to the marketplace aspect, and less to the people just using this for inventory and casual trading.

I totally understand the disallowing of off-the-record sales, but to be honest, this site was by far the best way for me to purchase cards from dealers in the US without having to pay $20 or whatever ridiculous amount Paypal auto-calculates. Are international sales somewhere on the list of upcoming features?

sebi wrote:
Zarasiss wrote:

Bring this back please, I wake up to go put in some more JOU cards and find this atrocity. I appreciate the deckbox updates, but changing something that isn't broke seems like poor planning.

Tone down the aggresivity please, let's keep the conversation civilized smile

Changing things that work is not a bad thing regardless of that expression, it's the only way to evolve in a better product. Look at nature tongue

Back to the topic at hand, it seems people liked the quick find input to always be present in the card database area. I will add it back, although pherhaps smaller, on the title bar, would still work, and save some space.

My apologies, my post was pretty aggressive and I am sorry for that. I thank you for adding the quick search back to the card database, that is a huge plus. And I was just frustrated at the new search at first due to some bugs being present. You guys did a good job at fixing them in a timely manner, my biggest complaint was the fact the inventory count wasn't updating, which it does now so Kudos to your team. Although now, I am not sure if this is intentional, when you apply the inventory changes, the wishlist/deck counts below your inventory count disappears, it doesn't seem like something that you'd want to happen.

Since you mentioned about space, I appreciate the idea of trying to make Deckbox more streamline, but for my personal uses, and perhaps many more users, functionality is the highest importance. And it is a little frustrating, (when I potentially look at dozens of cards one after another), in the inventory, when you click on a specific card, you have to scroll through this massive wall of text that you may or may not want to see of people selling that particular card. Is there any way to make it at hideable, (the section above the breakdown of your inventory/wishlist for that card). If you could minimize/hide, that'd be better then nothing, but moving it below would be even better.

Thanks,
Zarasiss

Last edited by Zarasiss (2014-05-05 19:34:25)