Topic: Lost Package

So recently, during a trade, my package got lost in the mail it seems. I sent it with tracking and have the post confirmation that it has nothing to do with me, but it got lost by them. In case we can't retrieve the package, what should I do? I'm putting this as a general question, rather than a this-case-only. For example, I have already received the cards he sent me, but what if I had sent first? Could he not send his afterwards, even if the loss had nothing to do with me? Do I have to send him cards back in order to compensate? What's the normal etiquete here? I don't have the exact same cards, so I can't send the same back...

Last edited by MTGPedro (2016-08-04 12:11:57)

Re: Lost Package

You should check out the list of trading rules:

https://deckbox.org/help/trade_rules

and trade guidelines:

https://deckbox.org/help/trade_guidelines

Specifically it mentions:

2.2. Sending cards. The sender is responsible for getting the cards to the destination. He will be held accountable for items lost in the mail if a form of tracking was not used; proof of sending is not sufficient. Tracking should show the package delivered to the proper address.
If you as a sender do not have proof of delivery (or the package was wrongly addressed), resend your part of the deal, make monetary restitution or return the cards you received. Resending cards should always use a form of tracking, to avoid further disputes.
Failure to honor your part of the deal without reimbursement is sanctioned by being marked as a scammer, and your trade partner will file for mail fraud.
Additionally, in case of lost mail, the sender must open a formal case with the postal service (for USPS you can do so by calling 800-ask-usps) and provide a case number to the receiver (and to site administrators, if a dispute is open).

In this case you need to talk to your trade partner to figure out what to do.  You could sent back the cards that you got, you could send the cards that you have and some others to make up for the ones that you don't have, or whatever arrangement you can agree to.  In the end though, it's your responsibility until your side of the trade is delivered.

OP said he used tracking so he technically in the clear. "He will be held accountable for items lost in the mail if a form of tracking was not used; proof of sending is not sufficient. Tracking should show the package delivered to the proper address. This has happened to me before where I sent with tracking and the package was lost. Sebi sided with me since I had tracking showing the proper address. The user and I still worked out a deal where he didn't get completely screwed over, but that is a case to case basis.

The recipient should not be held liable for a lost package. Imagine ordering something from Amazon and then getting a message "tough noodles, your package got lost, we can meet you in the middle and refund you halfway."

The sender is responsible for the cards getting delivered to the recipient. If the sender chooses the mail as his/her form of card delivery, the sender takes on that risk. This is what mail insurance is for.