Topic: How Cards Grow In Value

Hey guys, new to MTG and trading, first post

Yesterday I pulled a Nicol Bolas, the Ravager ($35USD) from a booster. My MTG mentor advises that I sell this bad boy immediately if I'm not going to run it, and I don't plan to. I'm more interested in collecting than playing or profiting, so I'm probably going to keep it, but it got me thinking... Since the Core 2019 set is still so new, how is a card's value going to change, and how quickly? It occurs to me that basic supply and demand explains the initial pricing, but I wonder how cards hold their value, and how volatile prices are near release.

What traits must a card have to keep or grow its value?
When new cards are released, how are they appraised?
Do new cards fluctuate in value very quickly?

Just a general head scratcher to throw around with you guys who have been in the game longer than me. Cheers!

Re: How Cards Grow In Value

Cards hold their value for various reasons.  Supply/Demand is the obvious primary reason.  Lots of factors can affect both supply and demand.

Supply
- The supply of cards goes down over time as they age, get lost, leave the market (collectors and speculators), get destroyed etc.  This is normal for any collectable.
- WOTC can reprint a card, increasing supply (note that this increases a card via a new printing, which doesn't increase supply for previous printings).
- WOTC can also put a card on the reserved list, promising never to reprint the card, thus restricting supply to those cards already printed
- WOTC can also set the rarity, or do other weird things like promo cards, or buy a box cards, or sell cards in specific products other than booster packs, which also affects supply.
- and finally, yes, Chinese can counterfeit cards, thus polluting the market and increasing supply

Demand
- Demand is more complicated.  The obvious first part is how "useful" the card is in gameplay.  Powerful cards will be highly sought after for the respective formats, and thus that will increase demand.
- WOTC can ban cards from certain formats, and cards naturally age out of standard into modern and other formats, and this will affect demand.
- Other cards may be printed which will suddenly make combos with existing cards, spiking demand as people want to create those combo decks.
- White vs. Black border people will demand cards of the specific border.
- Foil players will always want those cards.
- Collectors will always want cards, either in singles or full play sets, to fill in holes in their collections.  This is likely going to be true well after WOTC ends MTG
- WOTC could end MTG.  This is very unlikely as the player base and sales have been on an upswing, and MTG has weathered storms before (homelands etc).
- The condition of the card and its printing will also affect demand.
- The price of a card will also affect its demand.  High quality Alpha's and Beta's are now so rare and expensive that they may have hit a ceiling for real demand, which explains why unlimited and now revised are so highly sought after.

As you can see, it gets complicated quickly, and it can be quite difficult to predict what the value of a card will do.  Generally speaking however, my advice is as follows for cards you've just opened from a new set.

1) If you aren't going to play that rare, and it's price is high (> $5) I would consider selling it a few weeks into the release.  Do NOT sell cards at a pre-release, this is a bad idea since no one generally knows which cards are going to be the heavy hitters and I have sold cards that then spiked in the following weeks.
2) If it's a high priced land, its value will likely remain high and probably increase over time.  Lands are typically solid investment cards, especially foil lands.
3) Standard cards generally go down in price over time as they get closer to roll out to modern.  There's simply more standard players generally speaking.
4) Reprinted cards may cause a spike in value for that card because it's now legal for standard, this is a good time to sell the older printings of that card.

I think that's all I have, I hope that helps.

Good stuff! All Good stuff!
Me, personally, I like to collect and make the most of my cards while they're hot. I would sell that $35 standard card... because now... it's hot in standard.... the price will likely come down... but... now, i could swap it for something nice in modern or EDH .... or I could sell it... and reinvest into more boosters (because who doesn't love opening boosters) ... and later i'll add it to my collection when the price comes down big_smile (or try to get a second if it looks like the price wont' be coming down)

Just my opinion big_smile

Agreed with all the above.

I would sell any and all standard-legal cards you're not using. If you want them for collection purposes, wait until about 3-6 months after they rotate out of standard and then pick them up. Historically, this is the lowest they get before they start to creep up in price.

NOTE: This only applies to cards that will actually gain value over time, such as cards eligible for Modern play, non-basic lands, or foils. All else will remain at its low price. Either way, this is still the correct timeframe to look at when picking up cards for long-term collection purposes.