Topic: Lazy Traders

Time to rant about something that's been bugging me on this site since I started trading heavily with you Redditors.

Whenever I mark a trade as sent, it is in the mail and out of my hands. I'm getting the impression lately that this is not the case with many traders here.

I'm still waiting on trades from several weeks ago. Two were claimed to be "lost" in transit but a replacement was immediately offered without my even asking. Dozens of others have taken up to two weeks to arrive when my own cards, travelling the same distance, arrived within 2-3 days. I understand the odd trade every now and then will get disrupted, shit happens....but it's 2/3 of trades at this point, and there's this strange coincidence that they routinely surface exactly 3 days after the cards I sent are marked received.

Just don't mark your cards as sent and then take your sweet time doing it. Simple solution: Don't click that button UNTIL THEY'VE ACTUALLY BEEN SENT! It's not that complicated. I'm sick of receiving cards from an SA trader in Albuquerque for a trade that was finalized a full week after a trade I'm still waiting on from Atlanta. It's pretty obvious that the weak link here is lazy traders who take their sweet time shipping (or in some cases won't even own up to that it's been so long, instead they wait until they can say it was lost in the mail then offer a "replacement" so instead of a lazy asshole they're being generous).

Maybe if you do as I suggest you won't forget about my cards until yours arrive in the mail to jog your memory and I'll stop getting screwed out of running the deck I plan to run in weekend tournaments because the card I traded for to finish that deck a month ago still hasn't arrived.

Oh and FYI, there's a little date in the postmark stamp on your envelope that tells me you waited a week to send your cards.

</rant>

Last edited by BaronVonVaderham (2013-02-07 17:03:54)

Re: Lazy Traders

I'm having a problem with one if the same traders you are. My cards took 5 days to arrive and his have yet to come after over 3 weeks. I told him I was going to open a bad trader report and he said he would send me them again with DC. But is been 3 days and still no word our a DC number to track, so I'll prolly open a report.

Last edited by Almundjoy (2013-02-07 18:07:43)

I agree Baron.  It's frustrating that people go through the trouble of working out a trade with someone, finalize it, and don't promptly send out their cards or better yet, fail to communicate at all.  Cards received, cards sent, even feedback, I don't understand the lack of initiative sometimes.  Packing up cards and putting them in an envelope is a menial task and post office drop boxes aren't so scarce that you don't know where one is in your town.  Finalize a trade, confirm addresses, pack up your cards that day/night, send them the next day should be pretty normal protocol when you're actively trading via forum posts.

I still think trades over a certain dollar value should require Delivery Confirmation. If you can't afford it (and it's like $1.50), then you should stick to local trading and leave online trading to the adults. The DC# would allow you to see, without fail, if they actually sent the cards when they said they did. If you look up the number and it says, "Electronic Shipping Info Received" for 2-3 days with no forward progress - you know they only registered the number and never sent it.

That bullshit gets them an immediate ding on the transaction.

outofstep wrote:

I still think trades over a certain dollar value should require Delivery Confirmation. If you can't afford it (and it's like $1.50), then you should stick to local trading and leave online trading to the adults. The DC# would allow you to see, without fail, if they actually sent the cards when they said they did. If you look up the number and it says, "Electronic Shipping Info Received" for 2-3 days with no forward progress - you know they only registered the number and never sent it.

I just want to point out tho that DC and Tracking are not always updated properly by the Post office. Ive had packages not show any "progress" until a someone marks them as received and then the progress shows it was just delivered. Ive actually talked to people at the Post office when I trying to resolve the location of some of my stuff and they told me that unless its insured over a certain value, they are not required to update the progress on the website.

outofstep wrote:

If you look up the number and it says, "Electronic Shipping Info Received" for 2-3 days with no forward progress - you know they only registered the number and never sent it.

I'd be careful about this one... you could definitely get the 2-3 days legitimately, especially if you buy the postage on a Saturday afternoon/night. In my case, the mail carrier also shows up around 5PM, which means sometimes the stuff I send doesn't get scanned until the next day (and at times they DO miss the departure scan completely).  This doesn't matter in MY particular case since I drop stuff off in our USPS bin at work, or just get it at the post office, but I could see it being an issue for other people.

That said - communication reigns supreme. If you expect the cards inside a week, actually mention that!

Last edited by asmodeanreborn (2013-02-07 18:24:10)

I make sure that my trades are in the mailbox within an hour or two of them confirming their address. That way it's out of my hands and into theirs quickly. Some people want to use these in a deck right away, and it's not fair to them to have to wait for ages for me to get around to it.

Helios52 wrote:
outofstep wrote:

I just want to point out tho that DC and Tracking are not always updated properly by the Post office. Ive had packages not show any "progress" until a someone marks them as received and then the progress shows it was just delivered. Ive actually talked to people at the Post office when I trying to resolve the location of some of my stuff and they told me that unless its insured over a certain value, they are not required to update the progress on the website.

Interesting. Yeah some of mine went and reported successfully while others just never got any update yet they've received it.

Sad to hear you've had an issue with this :[ I've never had an issue like this, hope you can figure it out!

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

I usually mark my cards as 'sent' once I've packaged and addressed them, but before I've actually physically dropped them in the box. On the other hand, I basically swing by the post office every day, so that means at most it goes out 24 hours later. I think this behaviour is caused by Deckbox leaving traded cards in your inventory until you've actually sent them.

Say I'm trying to trade away the Domri Rade I just cracked. I start a trade for an Aurelia's Fury with some user, and they accept. Now, because they've accepted, my Domri is no longer for trade, but it's still on my inventory/tradelist until I actually physically send the card. The easiest way to manage this is to click "I have sent my cards" to remove it from my tradelists, but that gives the false impression of having actually mailed the card. Multiply that by having several trades on at once, and it's easy to accidentally commit to trading cards you don't have!

Maybe when a trade is confirmed, the number I have for trade should change, and then when I actually send the number I own should change? I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that as well.

LootPinata wrote:

I usually mark my cards as 'sent' once I've packaged and addressed them, but before I've actually physically dropped them in the box. On the other hand, I basically swing by the post office every day, so that means at most it goes out 24 hours later. I think this behaviour is caused by Deckbox leaving traded cards in your inventory until you've actually sent them.

Say I'm trying to trade away the Domri Rade I just cracked. I start a trade for an Aurelia's Fury with some user, and they accept. Now, because they've accepted, my Domri is no longer for trade, but it's still on my inventory/tradelist until I actually physically send the card. The easiest way to manage this is to click "I have sent my cards" to remove it from my tradelists, but that gives the false impression of having actually mailed the card. Multiply that by having several trades on at once, and it's easy to accidentally commit to trading cards you don't have!

Maybe when a trade is confirmed, the number I have for trade should change, and then when I actually send the number I own should change? I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that as well.

I usually just go and physically remove cards from my tradelist once the trade is confirmed.  Then I just don't hit the "Remove from Inventory and Tradelist" popup whenever it happens.  I just hit Cancel and it doesn't do it.

I keep having the same issues as most of you have, but there have been times where my cards took at least two weeks to reach someone and at the same time I still haven't recieved the cards from his part(it's been 3 weeks still nothing) I've had to contact support and ask what I should do I usually give a set day when I send so it gives them a time frame of when to expect the cards this helps me set a day to send multiple trades in 1 day but I've had the problem of sending something and not getting a response back even though I see the persons last time on. The least some one could do is tell you what's going on and a reasoning for not sending but no communication really ticks me off.

I agree with most of you. Here is what I do. I send ALL trades in bubble mailer packages. I send them out as first-class parcel ($2.07 for US delivery) AND USPS tracking ($0.90 more). I then GIVE that information to the person I am trading with. This is my common practice. It would be nice if others did the same thing, but I am aware that money is a problem. Spending $3 for a $4 trade is not the best way to go for most, but I feel that my trader and myself can keep track of them going in transit. I have bought cards from members as well as making $100+ trades. I have no problem GUARANTEEING my items (made one mix-up and has been corrected) and standing behind my word of when cards of mine are sent. This should be a common practice itself, but it isn't. Money is and will be a common problem in this game. If you can NOT spare the $3 to make SURE your cards are sent AND tracked, then you shouldn't be trading via mail.

I definitely have a hard time doing tracking with trades that send less than $10 either way. I'd rather make it right if it somehow gets lost (which hasn't happened yet in probably 30 such trades. 

BUT!

If you use PayPal anyway, shipping out 3 oz with tracking is about $1.75 (not sure exactly now that they raised the prices, it used to be less) or so - you just have to print the label yourself.

mrturk1001 wrote:

I agree with most of you. Here is what I do. I send ALL trades in bubble mailer packages. I send them out as first-class parcel ($2.07 for US delivery) AND USPS tracking ($0.90 more). I then GIVE that information to the person I am trading with. This is my common practice. It would be nice if others did the same thing, but I am aware that money is a problem. Spending $3 for a $4 trade is not the best way to go for most, but I feel that my trader and myself can keep track of them going in transit. I have bought cards from members as well as making $100+ trades. I have no problem GUARANTEEING my items (made one mix-up and has been corrected) and standing behind my word of when cards of mine are sent. This should be a common practice itself, but it isn't. Money is and will be a common problem in this game. If you can NOT spare the $3 to make SURE your cards are sent AND tracked, then you shouldn't be trading via mail.

Holy bananas! Sir let me introduce you to cheaper shipping...

http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3094

Get paypal (if you dont already) and enjoy Shipping at half the price your paying...

On the one hand I can understand the argument about putting DC on EVERYTHING that you send out, in a lot of instances, the added shipping cost defeats the purpose of the trade and results in the trade really not worth it.  If something gets lost, I'm fully ready and willing to replace anything that is lost (it's part of playing the mail trading game). 

I'll openly admit, I haven't had any issues with cards I've sent to anyone (at least not yet *fingers crossed*).  But I can say that I do not mark anything as sent until AFTER I've put it in a mailbox.  I agree that people who mark things as sent before it's in the mail are just asking for problems as any delays, and we can all admit they come up, end up making you look like a lazy or irresponsible trader.

But, a brief aside on USPS delivery confirmation, as I have family that has been a mail courier for more than 25 years, just because the delivery confirmation says something gets there doesn't mean it's actually there.  Often times the USPS will be lazy much like the traders we're railing against and will mark something as delivered when it arrives at the local post office, not when it's actually been delivered (which typically happens the next day).  As such, it's possible to have DC things show they're delivered but they actually get lost.  It is the best way to cover your arse, but it's certainly not insurance against something getting lost in the mail.

In either event, I think the best message here would not be that there should be changes in the site's trading policy or anything.  Rather, how about we hold everyone to a higher standard with regard to communication.  If something comes up, TALK to your trade partner.  Oddly enough, 95/100 times you will be able to work things out without having things come down to trade disputes and whatnot.

Helios52 wrote:

Holy bananas! Sir let me introduce you to cheaper shipping...

http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3094

Get paypal (if you dont already) and enjoy Shipping at half the price your paying...

I have paypal and use it for deals here and on ebay. But I do not have a printer that works. So it isn't in my best interest at the moment to use it. I will if the situation changes. Thanks for the heads-up.

It's simply not worthwhile to send with tracking on anything under about $15-20 minimun. If you think about how often cards really DO go missing (I've only had ONE instance of this in over 110 trades by mail), look at the cost of getting tracking on each of those trades versus the cost of replacing the one that went missing. It's just not worth it on cheap trades, and I'm perfectly fine without it for those. I'll be more than a little annoyed if you're not tracking $50 worth of cards, though.

As was said in the post before this, most of the time you can resolve issues without escalating the problem to a bad trading report. This is absolutely true. As has been said over and over, communication is key.

My problem is that people aren't communicating, and even if the problem is resolved, it's sometimes incredibly inconvenient to have to wait an additional SEVERAL WEEKS to receive cards you expected to receive within a few days.

If I need cards for an upcoming tournament deck, I say so....it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

If you are trading with Canadians we don't have affordable DC. Registered mail is around $10.

Marlin_L wrote:

If you are trading with Canadians we don't have affordable DC. Registered mail is around $10.

Yeah Canadians I make an exception for, though I'm currently having some difficulties with one whose cards supposedly went missing in transit.... Pretty pissed, we traded almost a month ago and I need one of the cards to run a deck in a tournament this weekend. Can't really spare the cash to get an extra Sphinx's Revelation last minute.

I find that the communication is the issue here . If more people would communicate on here instead of just waiting unitil someone files a complaint about them . And I will also notify that Canada has one of the most expensive mailing in the world .About 2 weeks ago I asked just out of pure curiousity what it would cost to have something tracked and I was told $25 on the min I was like wow a whole lot of money . I don't know about most of you but that is outrageous . I have one trade at the moment has almost hit a month that the cards have been in the mail . But it is the communication is the issue as well as lazy traders if you will not evn talk to the people you are trading with you shouldn't even be trading on here it ruins it for those of us who do .

@Baron

Here Here man. I've had the same issue, and had people bitch at me for delaying to send. I clearly state on my profile I have the right not to unless you bring it up *BEFORE* hand, or I have your cards.

You and I have traded several times, and its been great. People just need to quit being so freaking lazy.

I've got one trade right now... been waiting nearly a *month* with this dude: http://deckbox.org/users/Nildayan

Blehhhhh. Lol.

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist