Topic: Do you pay for non-machinable charge when using PWE?

I'm just wondering how many people here actually pay the extra $0.22 for non-machinable charge when using plain white envelope and top loaders?  I've gotten two envelopes recently that came postage due.  Maybe I'm just not lucky.

Re: Do you pay for non-machinable charge when using PWE?

I've never had a Deckbox trade or PucaTrade trade come in a pwe with postage due.

The 3rd top loader in a PWE requires the 2nd stamp (22c)

I had to go down to the post office to pick up an envelope that just had one Narset in it and pay .22 cents. That's been the only time out of numerous cards being sent to have happened but was annoying enough that I don't want to have someone else deal with it. I can spare .22 cents. What made that even better was that I had paid the guy 2 dollars for postage.

The only time I had to pay that fee is when I filled out the envelope in the PO and took it up to the desk to mail. Never had a problem with just dropping it in the box.

Always looking for modern and legacy staples.

Yeah, I have never sent one or had one sent to me with the do not machine  and have never had an issue.

People seem to get confused about over one ounce additional postage, and nonmachinable additional postage.

Nonmachinable Criteria
A letter-size piece is nonmachinable if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.1.2 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.
b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in any plastic material, or has an exterior surface made of a material that is not paper. Windows in envelopes made of paper do not make mailpieces nonmachinable. Attachments allowable under applicable eligibility standards do not make mailpieces nonmachinable.
c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.
d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, keys, or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven; or loose keys or coins or similar objects not affixed to the contents within the mailpiece. Loose items may cause a letter to be nonmailable when mailed in paper envelopes; (see 601.3.3).
e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).

f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.
g. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.
h. Is a self-mailer that is not prepared according to 201.3.14.
i. Is a booklet that is not prepared according to 201.3.16.

The bold areas are the reasons I was given by my Post Office's manager as to why the additional $0.22 is required on ALL envelopes containing an item such as a top loader.  Even if you don't write "non-machinable" on the envelope, it's still required.  He was honest and said that rarely they get caught, but around the holidays they catch it a lot more often because of all the greeting cards that require additional postage.  Basically, from what he was saying, we take a chance every time we mail without the additional non-machinable postage and don't label the envelope as non-machinable.

"I had to go down to the post office to pick up an envelope that just had one Narset in it and pay .22 cents. That's been the only time out of numerous cards being sent to have happened but was annoying enough that I don't want to have someone else deal with it. I can spare .22 cents. What made that even better was that I had paid the guy 2 dollars for postage."

I can say it was pretty fricking annoying to have to goto the post office to pick up one of my last trades over $0.22.  Thankfully, I live less than 5 minutes away.  Not so thankfully it's the main post office that services SDSU and it took over 40 minutes in line.  I sure people have gotten negatives for less.

Last edited by Mattssacre (2015-10-28 23:22:36)

Ive never once paid for that (honestly didnt know it was an option to) and whenever I go to the PO to drop off a PWE trade, I just ask that they stamp it with a "Do Not Bend" stamp. Apparently me writing it does no mean the same as them stamping it.

One time I did have to go to the PO and pay for postage to get them to actually give me the trade because the Stamp actually fell off the letter.

I never send in PWE, bubble mailer and tracking all the way, but I have never been screwed by someone who does. I have never had to go to the post office to pay extra postage. Now sometimes when people certify (and it says on my profile not to) I have to check on the mail over the weekend because I am never there to sign during the week. But that is all

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

I have had a few that I paid the extra 22 cents. For me I am not to concerned over 22 cents really. Had one that was 50 cents due to thickness of envelope. But this trader sent me stamps to make up for it. smile