Re: User Des R. (doctorgraim) is a scammer

Is it only Sebi modding the site?/it seems like there needs to be more people watching for this and an easy report user button. Hell, I am on Deckbox almost everyday. I would be willing to act as a mod for people to report these issue to and investigate. I would do it for free.

Is there a way that accounts can be frozen if someone is under investigation. There should be.

Edit: unless I missed it, there is no way to report an account if if is suspicious. I love this site and do not want the reputation tarnished buy a single insistent scammer.

Last edited by valdor (2016-04-10 01:23:00)

This comes on the heels of Sebi saying they want more money for this website. I wouldn't pay a dime until they start having people wait for admin approval before their accounts are accepted.

valdor wrote:

Is it only Sebi modding the site?/it seems like there needs to be more people watching for this and an easy report user button. Hell, I am on Deckbox almost everyday. I would be willing to act as a mod for people to report these issue to and investigate. I would do it for free.

Is there a way that accounts can be frozen if someone is under investigation. There should be.

Edit: unless I missed it, there is no way to report an account if if is suspicious. I love this site and do not want the reputation tarnished buy a single insistent scammer.

I completely agree with this. I love this website and recommend it to everyone who approaches me for trades because it allows me to get the cards I want rather then getting tons of junk from some kid at the LGS. If it is only Sebi doing things, maybe more help is required.

But finding the help will be another task.

TheAlexander wrote:

This comes on the heels of Sebi saying they want more money for this website. I wouldn't pay a dime until they start having people wait for admin approval before their accounts are accepted.

While I totally get the sentiment, on the flipside, Sebi might not be able to do what he wants/needs until he acquires more revenue. That is why I said I would act as a mod in some compacity for free, just to help. I am online everyday for my job anyways might as well do something else when I am slow.

valdor wrote:
TheAlexander wrote:

While I totally get the sentiment, on the flipside, Sebi might not be able to do what he wants/needs until he acquires more revenue. That is why I said I would act as a mod in some compacity for free, just to help. I am online everyday for my job anyways might as well do something else when I am slow.

Yea, I hear that completely. I'd be willing as well but my low trade count? I don't even know what would be acceptable. I just do a typical BS IT cubicle job and deckbox all day long, haha. Regardless of whatever happens, I think first thing is there has to be simple admin verification for new accounts going forward, something stupidly simple to start off with haha.

Last edited by TheAlexander (2016-04-10 16:19:10)

I'm glad other people are as concerned as I am. I just sent my message through the help/contact/ support and feedback route naming the user I thought was suspicious and he was flagged by the end of the day, but obviously it's not working. I did message him again bringing up that this specific user has now used multiple accounts to steal hundreds of dollars worth of cards from people through his site, and that he needs to address this issue ASAP so hopefully changed are coming.

thebourbinator wrote:

I'm glad other people are as concerned as I am. I just sent my message through the help/contact/ support and feedback route naming the user I thought was suspicious and he was flagged by the end of the day, but obviously it's not working. I did message him again bringing up that this specific user has now used multiple accounts to steal hundreds of dollars worth of cards from people through his site, and that he needs to address this issue ASAP so hopefully changed are coming.

That alone infuriates me. I try to trade before buying and one of my first trades I lost a baby Jace before discovering Deckbox, I can only sympathize for those losing exorbitant amounts of cards. sad

So I don't know programming or anything like that, how hard is it to add a "report user" button in all profiles and when clicked will send an automated email to a specific (or all??) mod team. Someone can look into the account and if it looks suspicious, the can then lock down the account until a full investigation is complete. These mods can have a personal list of everyone on the scammer list do to comparison. If found guilty the kids can then fully ban an account.

Edit: I am going to email Sebi directly and point him to this thread in case he has not seen it.

Last edited by valdor (2016-04-10 16:43:00)

Contact them and ask. ;o

Leaping Frog Studios SRL
I.L.Caragiale 1/19
Baia Mare, 430121, Romania
+40 740 029 429

Ive been on this site successfully for years now and really love it. Would also volunteer some of my time that i have to help out in some capacity.

valdor wrote:

So I don't know programming or anything like that, how hard is it to add a "report user" button in all profiles and when clicked will send an automated email to a specific (or all??) mod team. Someone can look into the account and if it looks suspicious, the can then lock down the account until a full investigation is complete. These mods can have a personal list of everyone on the scammer list do to comparison. If found guilty the kids can then fully ban an account.

Edit: I am going to email Sebi directly and point him to this thread in case he has not seen it.

Programmatically it is trivial. The issue is with it being abused and staffing/man hours.

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

TheWorldHatesPaul wrote:
valdor wrote:

Programmatically it is trivial. The issue is with it being abused and staffing/man hours.

Well as I have said, I am willing to give my time to help with this so there is a little bit of the man hours. As for it being abused, well that is up to Sebi to makes sure that he chooses people that he feels can be trusted. As for other users abusing it well that is the job of the mods to investigate. If users abuse the system and falsely accuse multiple accounts for no reason, there should be punishment for that.

I am just attempting to provide suggestions that might help scammers. I realize it may not be a huge issue but a faster response time would always be good. It even helps with disputes. I hated when I had a despute I would have to wait 5/days for an initial response and then 2 or 3/days for a follow up response.

There really should be a restriction that prevents new users from trading with new users so that they don't walk into scams until they have enough rep that they can ask new users to send first.

They are working on that i believe.

traceurling wrote:

There really should be a restriction that prevents new users from trading with new users so that they don't walk into scams until they have enough rep that they can ask new users to send first.

Sebi is trying to work on something like that. The original idea was rejected due to it limiting new users to only trading with new users. Though as we have seen, new users trading with only new users is still ripe for scamming. I actually think it makes it easier. It is better to just stop accounts from being a scammer by having to go through a small review when activated (checking the address against the known scammer list) and then having the community help to police accounts and notify mods when suspicious activity is noticed.

valdor wrote:
traceurling wrote:

Sebi is trying to work on something like that. The original idea was rejected due to it limiting new users to only trading with new users. Though as we have seen, new users trading with only new users is still ripe for scamming. I actually think it makes it easier. It is better to just stop accounts from being a scammer by having to go through a small review when activated (checking the address against the known scammer list) and then having the community help to police accounts and notify mods when suspicious activity is noticed.

Yep. As it stands right now, does Sebi even know this Des guy is back?  If not, what a window of opportunity to rip users off.

We need to stand together as a community and have zero tolerance for these users, and to all unite together and make things safer for the community as a whole.

TechnicolorMage wrote:
valdor wrote:
traceurling wrote:

Yep. As it stands right now, does Sebi even know this Des guy is back?  If not, what a window of opportunity to rip users off.

We need to stand together as a community and have zero tolerance for these users, and to all unite together and make things safer for the community as a whole.

I have all emailed Sebi telling him to look at this thread ASAP, as he needs to look into the situation immediately. I also asked him if there is any mod team at all or just him.

In the past, Sebi has declined users who offered to help for free as moderators, and is one of the reasons that there is a current Premium option.

asrttyoxo wrote:

In the past, Sebi has declined users who offered to help for free as moderators, and is one of the reasons that there is a current Premium option.

Very true, sort of a bummer that to get additional protection you need to pay. But the model makes sense in the long run I suppose.

asrttyoxo wrote:

Which in my opinion is absolutely useless. Yes, your problem will be addressed first but that still does nothing when you have already been scammed and there is no way to let others really know unless they make a post, which most might not read. So it is not solving any issues.

Also the scammer is targeting new member, who most likely have not gotten Premium since they are just testing the site out and giving it a trial run. So there is nothing in place to protect them.

I have never been affected by a scammer, but if a site does nothing to help protect new users, even turning down free help, well it is a site that I might not want to be a part of.

I find it really hard to believe that filing mail fraud is the only way to go about this when we have a record of people's things that have been stolen and the perps address... Has anyone ever tried working with a local PD?

valdor wrote:
asrttyoxo wrote:

Which in my opinion is absolutely useless. Yes, your problem will be addressed first but that still does nothing when you have already been scammed and there is no way to let others really know unless they make a post, which most might not read. So it is not solving any issues.

Also the scammer is targeting new member, who most likely have not gotten Premium since they are just testing the site out and giving it a trial run. So there is nothing in place to protect them.

I have never been affected by a scammer, but if a site does nothing to help protect new users, even turning down free help, well it is a site that I might not want to be a part of.

Perhaps there needs to be some sort of "flag" system if there is an open report about a user that appears next to their name similar to the green checkmark of premium users. Like a small "Red Flag" if there is a recent report or complaint in regards to said scammer to help draw attention? Mod team can then investigate the flags.

TheAlexander wrote:
valdor wrote:
asrttyoxo wrote:

Perhaps there needs to be some sort of "flag" system if there is an open report about a user that appears next to their name similar to the green checkmark of premium users. Like a small "Red Flag" if there is a recent report or complaint in regards to said scammer to help draw attention? Mod team can then investigate the flags.

Yeah exactly something like that. I mentioned my own idea above that is the same thing kinda.

I was (still am?) part of the Mod-Team that handled the BTRs before the change to current system that happened sometime ago. The problem with having free Mods was the power that could be given to us. My power (in general) is limited  to really just closing and locking threads. This is no fault of Sebi or Deckbox because how much power can you expect give to a volunteer who could have access to personal or finanicial information about hundreds of other users? That's a security flaw and liability that Deckbox doesnt need to worry about.  More power to do things like lock accounts and ban people would require people who need to work for Deckbox in some capacity in order to cover that. I agree that Sebi does great work and could use some more help but its not as cut an dry as people would like it to be.

thebourbinator wrote:

I find it really hard to believe that filing mail fraud is the only way to go about this when we have a record of people's things that have been stolen and the perps address... Has anyone ever tried working with a local PD?

The only thing you can do is file a fraud report with the local police department. I doubt it will help you regain cards or money in whatever transaction, but at least it is a step in the right direction to have the individual get justice. It is a sticky situation. I really try to only trade in the North East because if someone is going to screw me over I will drive to their house and confront them because, honestly I am not that shy of an individual and I'll look for any excuse to take a road trip with the motorcycle. smile