Topic: Darkmode, many various small changes

Today's release adds dark mode support to the site. A lot of related changes were necessary for that, alongside various modernizations and code cleanups.

The forum does not support dark mode, and the edit boxes and textareas look bad if dark mode is 'on' on the main site. Need to look into this.

I tried to get rid of all the "red ribbon" usages as an edition symbol for promo editions. Let me know if any of the changes for that are confusing, or don't look good, or you have any ideas for improvement.

Other things:
- updated most edition symbols to svg quality
- updated mana icons
- fixed various issues with the comment editor on decks and events
- changed many other icons with svgs
- removed old styled dropdowns and converted everything to a single consistent styling
- fixed issues with "too long" tag or deck names messing up dropdowns
- updated some 10 year old homepage screenshots, added 'dark' versions
- etc

Please let me know if (when) you encounter bugs, inconsistencies, things looking off, etc.

Last edited by sebi (2024-09-13 10:19:07)

Re: Darkmode, many various small changes

Great job, as always ! Really worth the subcription fee !

Dark mode is much appreciated, thanks for adding this awesome feature!

I noticed a little red star next to some set symbols, did I miss what that is supposed to mean?

Wow, dark mode jumpscare! Thanks sebi!!

Very nice! Thanks a ton

So so happy for dark mode.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Wow, every time the site gets a new feature, it's like you read my mind! Now if only adding foils was as easy as adding non-foils on the Edition page... smile

freakwerks wrote:

I noticed a little red star next to some set symbols, did I miss what that is supposed to mean?

Based on my inventory, they indicate Promo & Prerelease cards for the set.

Last edited by IUTBF (2024-09-13 22:55:14)

My only comment on dark mode right now is that as a colorblind person I see no difference indicating cards in a decklist are owned or not. It might be because I am colorblind but I dont have a way to confirm it

Last edited by Thanatos719 (2024-09-16 13:15:31)

It's beautiful! Thank you, Sebi!!

Thank you so much for dark mode!

Thanks for the update and your hard work.

One minor issue - and this could be intentional? - on the 'Editions' page, there used to be highlighting for editions where I have set completion, but that seems to have gone now and only editions where I have some cards but am missing others are now highlighted.

It would be a shame if this was removed intentionally, for me at least, as I found that very helpful for seeing at a glance the sets where I had at least one of each card.

Edit: Checking the CSS, I think that it's probably not intended as the number columns still have a 'blueBkgr' class, however they are displaying as just white - it would be great if that could be fixed.

Last edited by mtghoard (2024-09-14 11:08:24)

Are there any plans to still add a filter for a cards color(based on its casting cost) rather than the cards color identity? A couple of years back the default was card color so you could search colorless cards and pull all artifacts/lands whereas in the last year or so, its been changed to color identity where a colorless filter won't show any artifacts/lands that have colored mana symbols.

Thank you for continuing to make improvements!

Is the set symbol for MH2 Timeshifted cards missing?

I have been having issues with the mobile version of the website since the darkmode update (missing text, landscape mode being displayed in portrait mode, etc). I submitted a report, but I am guessing that they are off for the weekend.

I have been using deckbox for years without an issue like this and the issue persists despite trying different mobile browsers and my wife's cellphone. No one else has posted about issues with the update, so I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the mobile version of the app is working properly for them (preferably on Android)?

Here are pics the problems I am running into, for reference...

https://imgur.com/a/h0Hoync

Love you

At least for me, as of this update all notes on users appear with

<p> </p>

tags around them. Not a big deal, but a change and potential bug, so calling it out. smile

Hi!

I cannot express how much I appreciate your Deckbox effort. Thank you for your dedication!

If I may, I would like to highlight a rather obscure behaviour.
I have 100% reproducibility.
Prerequisites:
* have a commander deck, marked as "Deck Idea".
* In the deck, have a card that's not in the collection. mark it with No card in collection -> Default printing.
* In the deck, have a card that's in the collection. Mark it with No card in collection -> Default printing. (Why? imagine you use the same cards in 3 decks. 1 original is in 1 deck, the other 2 decks have its proxy)

Steps:
* Mark the deck as built Deck.

Observe:
* The card that IS in the collection but was marked with Default Printing, was automatically assigned a card from the collection.

It kinda messes up my decks, by breaking the values I set for them sad

If a user has set a particular printing, why mess with it? my suggestion is to keep the settings.
Feels weird that Deckbox does it on deck type change...

What do you think?

Erik_Andresen wrote:

I have been having issues with the mobile version of the website since the darkmode update (missing text, landscape mode being displayed in portrait mode, etc). I submitted a report, but I am guessing that they are off for the weekend.

I have been using deckbox for years without an issue like this and the issue persists despite trying different mobile browsers and my wife's cellphone. No one else has posted about issues with the update, so I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the mobile version of the app is working properly for them (preferably on Android)?

Here are pics the problems I am running into, for reference...

https://imgur.com/a/h0Hoync

I got the same issues on mobile (safari).

streusel wrote:

I got the same issues on mobile (safari).

Thank you for confirming that it isn't just me! I pretty much only use the mobile version of the site and am in thee process of adding ~50,000 cards, so of course it breaks on me now lol Well, stuff like that is bound to happen while rolling out new features!

Edit: Fixed now. Thanks for the quick fix!

Last edited by Erik_Andresen (2024-09-17 19:18:38)

jazzgiver wrote:

Wow, every time the site gets a new feature, it's like you read my mind! Now if only adding foils was as easy as adding non-foils on the Edition page... smile

You can set the default flags to include foil (you can do this on top of any edition page before the table), and then when you add anything there it will apply the foil. (Until you remove it from the defaults).

edron79 wrote:

At least for me, as of this update all notes on users appear with <p> tags around them. Not a big deal, but a change and potential bug, so calling it out. smile

Fixed now, thanks for reporting.

Dumoko wrote:

* In the deck, have a card that's in the collection. Mark it with No card in collection -> Default printing. (Why? imagine you use the same cards in 3 decks. 1 original is in 1 deck, the other 2 decks have its proxy)

Well the card *is* actually in your inventory, and you are using it in the deck, right? Even if temporarily it's in a different deck. I would just mark it as "From Inventory", since that's how it is...

Is the problem actually that when you look at the inventory you want to know in *which specific* deck a card currently is, as opposed to which deck you could move it to?

Dumoko wrote:

* The card that IS in the collection but was marked with Default Printing, was automatically assigned a card from the collection.

This is confusing a bit, indeed. Selecting "Default Printing" means actually "not assigned to anything". So when you switch the deck to built, it will try to find things in your inventory that match.

You can obtain the effect you want - but you need an extra click for it: instead of "Default" select "Custom printing" in that dropdown, then click save in the panel (without actually selecting any kind of details on this custom printing). This will force the matcher to not guess anything for it when you change it to built.

Thanks a lot for getting back to me!

sebi wrote:
Dumoko wrote:

Well the card *is* actually in your inventory, and you are using it in the deck, right? Even if temporarily it's in a different deck. I would just mark it as "From Inventory", since that's how it is...

To clarify: the card *is* in inventory, but it's *not* in the deck, even temporary. I use actual proxies to not move the card back and forth all the time, so to me it does make sense to mark the deck entry in a special way.
Marking with a #proxy also didn't work for me as I want to see the deck value being realistic.

sebi wrote:

Is the problem actually that when you look at the inventory you want to know in *which specific* deck a card currently is, as opposed to which deck you could move it to?

Yes!
Let's say I have 1 copy of Heroic Intervetion.
When I open the Heroic Intervention page, I want to see where is the original.
The same applies to cards I have multiple copies of. E.g. i have 10 decks and only 7 real sol rings cards. I would like to know where the real ones are in.

sebi wrote:
Dumoko wrote:

This is confusing a bit, indeed. Selecting "Default Printing" means actually "not assigned to anything". So when you switch the deck to built, it will try to find things in your inventory that match.

You can obtain the effect you want - but you need an extra click for it: instead of "Default" select "Custom printing" in that dropdown, then click save in the panel (without actually selecting any kind of details on this custom printing). This will force the matcher to not guess anything for it when you change it to built.

This does the trick for me, thank you for the solution!

Last edited by Dumoko (2024-09-19 13:37:57)