Topic: Resolving Trade Issues: A personal story

After reading the thread posted about the trade who seems to be getting over on people, I decided to post my own ideas about trading in hopes of giving people ideas on how to work things out or just making trading easier.I am certainly not the perfect trader! Ive mailed cards to the wrong people, put the wrong address on the envelope, forgot to put cards in the envelope, not put mail out myself (I run my own business and usually leave it in the out box for my interns and secretary, which is problematic at times), and sometime I reply late to inquiries because Im either out of town, or out of the country.

That said here are some things that Ive done, and other people have done in conjunction in order to make trading a little better.

1. NEVER TRADE CARDS YOU DONT HAVE AVAILIBLE
9/10 this is why your trades dont get to you on time, and 10/10 this is why people are clogging up your inbox with mail

2. Always use DC# no matter what the size of the trade
More times than not. that 2.80 at the post office is LESS than the tax you'd pay at your local game store and when items get lost in the mail that 2.80 could have saved you A LOT more in replacement cards and legal fees.

3. BE RESPECTFUL OF PEOPLES LIVES!
Some of us are single parents, some of us have lost everything in a Hurricane, most of us work, and a lot of us are not professional magic players or we wouldnt be on this site trading, we'd be sponsored by a store. If you dont hear back from them in 5 minutes or even a day or 2, they my just be dealing with life on life's terms. Harassment is just as serious as mail fraud.

4. COMMUNICATION
3 Traders in particular, Cody M, David191231 and Andy Yuan are EXCELLENT at it. No matter what the issue it goes a long way to resolving problems and keeping the peace. Whether you are in the right, or are in the wrong talk it out work it out, and encourage working it out so both parties are satisfied. You may take some criticism, but life is about being and doing better, not settling for mediocre (Thank you Andy).

5. IF YOU HAVE A LOWER RATING, SEND FIRST
Ironically, the trader in question has a lower rating that most of the people complaining about trading with him. Do NOT SEND first if you have a lower rating. 1-10 points is marginal, but when the difference is more, lets all follow the unwritten rule so that established traders receive their cards without fear, and newer traders establish EXCELLENT trading habits.

6. INSURE TRADES OVER 100USD, OR WITH MYTHICS AND STAPLES YOU CANT REPLACE
Again, you knew going into your trades your Jace could be lost in the mail. You protect your investment by sleeving up every FNM to prevent someone from spilling their soda on your cards, why not spend the money to protect your investment that if lost you cant replace. I have lost items in the mail and trust me, eBay and Starcity just doesn't cut it.

7. DONT OVERWHELM YOURSELF AND OTHERS WITH TONS OF TRADES
I am the guiltiest at this. Especially if you have a large collection and little time, DONT DO IT! You just make people frustrated including yourself. DO what you can and when you can. On the other side, if you see that a person has 15 trades on deck, dont add another one expecting to be first on his or her list unless you are trading your Moat for their Atog and you were sober when you proposed the trade.

8. MAIL YOUR ITEMS OUT YOURSELF!
I can not stress this enough. TRUST NO ONE ELSE WITH YOUR TRADES! Go to the post yourself, get your DC# yourself. You can better know what happened because.... you mailed it.

9. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, EMAIL SABASTIAN
He is awesome! There isnt a trade issue he cant help you solve and more times than not BOTH parties come out evenly (or you come out ahead).

I sincerely hope this gives some insights and helps people. Many thanks to ALL traders on this site for what you have done for my collection and decks, as well as being a more prudent trader.

CHEERS!

Re: Resolving Trade Issues: A personal story

I'll cheers to all of that...

Hallelujah preach it father!

Some one get this man a beer! Couldnt agree more. Well played sir...

Totally Awsome!!!

^ weird people.

Good read though. smile

Great read. Great tips.

Do you mind giving me SABASTIAN's email?

Only part I don't agree with, especially since I've done a lot of trades lately where $5-6 of cards is going each way. Paying $2.80 shipping vs $0.65 makes a huge difference quickly here. I'd rather lose the 1 in 100 (or whatever) envelope and send a PayPal payment or duplicate cards for that.

asmodeanreborn wrote:

Only part I don't agree with, especially since I've done a lot of trades lately where $5-6 of cards is going each way. Paying $2.80 shipping vs $0.65 makes a huge difference quickly here. I'd rather lose the 1 in 100 (or whatever) envelope and send a PayPal payment or duplicate cards for that.

Use PayPal to print labels and you pay less than $1.70 to ship up to 3oz. (US, domestic) including delivery confirmation.  To me, that amount for shipping is less than what it would cost for me to visit a local game store.  No headaches or lost time, either (e.g., waiting a month to see if post office delivers, re-mailing).

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

asmodeanreborn wrote:

I def. see your point here. However most people arent like us, and not everyone can deal with the 1 in 100. Some people value that 6usd trade more so because (fill in the plank). And if you are this person then send with a DC# so your mental state isnt disrupted when there's an issue.

HikingStick wrote:
asmodeanreborn wrote:

Use PayPal to print labels and you pay less than $1.70 to ship up to 3oz. (US, domestic) including delivery confirmation.  To me, that amount for shipping is less than what it would cost for me to visit a local game store.  No headaches or lost time, either (e.g., waiting a month to see if post office delivers, re-mailing).

maybe im a paypal postage idiot, but everytime i try this, it tells me that the price is more than 1.70. matter of fact, youactually reached out here on a post I wrote a while back. do you have an idea how im getting 2.60 instead of 1.70 in the price field?

Dakkon4444 wrote:
HikingStick wrote:
asmodeanreborn wrote:

maybe im a paypal postage idiot, but everytime i try this, it tells me that the price is more than 1.70. matter of fact, youactually reached out here on a post I wrote a while back. do you have an idea how im getting 2.60 instead of 1.70 in the price field?

Perhaps you aren't choosing "Package or Thick Envelope" under 1st class mail?  Another thing is... you should be choosing 3ozs for the weight (Unless you are sending bunches of cards)... the last thing is... you could be sending it with Insurance perhaps?

I've done it like this and I've always gotten my shipping for 1.62 w/ Free Delivery Confirmation.

Thanks, Zuul36, for posting that.  Yes, for bubble mailers, you want "first class" as the service type, and "parcel/thick envelope" for the package type.  Three ounces is the magic number--the rate does not go up until you are over 3 ounces.  I typically can ship around 15-20 cards and stay under three ounces, and that includes the additional cardboard I add to keep the package more rigid.

Last edited by HikingStick (2012-11-18 16:30:03)

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:

Thanks, Zuul36, for posting that.  Yes, for bubble mailers, you want "first class" as the service type, and "parcel/thick envelope" for the package type.  Three ounces is the magic number--the rate does not go up until you are over 3 ounces.  I typically can ship around 15-20 cards and stay under three ounces, and that includes the additional cardboard I add to keep the package more rigid.

AWESOME! Thank you Zulu as well!!!!!

I am a huge fault to # 7... sad Whenever I trade on here, I end up overloading myself with 5-10 trades at a time, and it gets exhausting and confusing because I have to remember which cards go where, and rarely when Im checking them do I have my cards nearby.

Very well done, Dakkon!

Profile          Wishlist          Tradelist

Sabastian's email anyone?

HABS wrote:

Sabastian's email anyone?

Hey sorry About that I thought this posted:

Sebastian Zaha <sebastian@deckbox.org>

ThX Dakkon44444! Kudos to you!

Oh this is ironic... a thread on trading tips from a guy who's a month late on getting me my cards.  I searched for his username on here to see if he was legit or not and now I see that yeah, he's an honest guy.  He's just "dealing with life."

Here's another tip: Don't trade with Dakkon if you like getting cards fast.  This isn't the first time he's done this to someone.

Last edited by texkill (2012-11-30 07:13:45)

texkill wrote:

Oh this is ironic... a thread on trading tips from a guy who's a month late on getting me my cards.  I searched for his username on here to see if he was legit or not and now I see that yeah, he's an honest guy.  He's just "dealing with life."

Here's another tip: Don't trade with Dakkon if you like getting cards fast.  This isn't the first time he's done this to someone.

Dakkon4444 wrote:

7. DONT OVERWHELM YOURSELF AND OTHERS WITH TONS OF TRADES
I am the guiltiest at this.

He actually admits his faults. I'll admit I have sent out pretty late on a few. One I just forgot to grab on my way to the post office when I was dropping off eight at one time. Sometimes it just happens. He's a reputable trader, so you should feel confident that you are getting your cards.

Last edited by tails616 (2012-11-30 07:44:23)

Profile          Wishlist          Tradelist

texkill wrote:

haha the irony. love it.  just like the trade proposal i got today to trade down a drop of honey for INN duals from someone with this on their profile:
"I'm not particularly interested in trading Legacy/Modern/EDH staples for Standard cards.  If there's a Standard card on my wishlist, and it's >$5, I'm almost certainly waiting for it to rotate out so I can pick it up cheaply.  The same thing with trading down: I'm not going to trade a $30 card for a half-dozen $5 cards.  Thanks for the offers, though!"

Hypocrisy in magic runs rampant. Good luck with getting your cards. I wouldn't take solace in him "Admitting his faults" and feeling confident that you will get them "eventually". We, as a community, need to aim for higher standards. Yes, sometimes life gets in the way of prompt communication and trading - and some people have little respect/consideration for others. After following that whole ichorclaw (or whatever that username was) catastrophe, it has made me aware that scrutiny of one's trading partner's past habits and communication is essential, and inevitably, you're going to get fucked over. Hopefully it'll just be an unreasonable delay like you're experiencing now.

texkill wrote:

I sent this thread as a mens to help others and to self police myself. What you failed to mention in your research is that whatever the issue, I followed the user agreement on the site and did what was necessary to complete the trade. Your comment about "doing it to someone" is a bit off base. Ive had cards (including yours) sent back, or not sent at all by my local post and have done everything to make up for it, even resending cards already sent... including yours.

BE ADVISED! If you seriously have an issue with our trade, go about it the correct way and notify the admin (Sabastian is pretty good at conflict resolution) as you are supposed to, not by sniping on a thread that was meant to give insight on how things go wrong and how to go about preventing/solving them. If you want his email, refer to this thread that you have read in full detail or contact me via email or chat.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dakkon4444 (2012-11-30 09:08:30)

besteverme wrote:
texkill wrote:

haha the irony. love it.  just like the trade proposal i got today to trade down a drop of honey for INN duals from someone with this on their profile:
"I'm not particularly interested in trading Legacy/Modern/EDH staples for Standard cards.  If there's a Standard card on my wishlist, and it's >$5, I'm almost certainly waiting for it to rotate out so I can pick it up cheaply.  The same thing with trading down: I'm not going to trade a $30 card for a half-dozen $5 cards.  Thanks for the offers, though!"

Hypocrisy in magic runs rampant. Good luck with getting your cards. I wouldn't take solace in him "Admitting his faults" and feeling confident that you will get them "eventually". We, as a community, need to aim for higher standards. Yes, sometimes life gets in the way of prompt communication and trading - and some people have little respect/consideration for others. After following that whole ichorclaw (or whatever that username was) catastrophe, it has made me aware that scrutiny of one's trading partner's past habits and communication is essential, and inevitably, you're going to get fucked over. Hopefully it'll just be an unreasonable delay like you're experiencing now.

The Ichorclaw thing is why I wrote this originally. I whole heartedly agree the community should strive for higher standards and it starts with ourselves, not the community as a whole. Ichorclaw is probably one of the most glaring instances of someone who wanted to take full advantage of the honor system IMO, and I hope that it serves as a guide to us all.

I just had a situation where i waited 2 months for cards valuing over $200. The trade was completed and it turned out that the post office was to blame on both ends of the trade. Did life happen? Not my call to make, nor was I looking or asking for solace to make myself or my trading partner feel better. The only thing that could be done is to adhere to striving for higher standards and coming up with a mutually beneficial solution. Thats where i find solace.

Dakkon4444 wrote:

More times than not. that 2.80 at the post office is LESS than the tax you'd pay at your local game store and when items get lost in the mail that 2.80 could have saved you A LOT more in replacement cards and legal fees.

Unless you're trading to Canada!! DC isn't available for US-Canada trades (without a silly huge charge), but don't let that stop you from trading with Canadians!  We're all super nice big_smile