Re: Previewing the next "2.0" release of deckbox

There still appears to be a problem with the proximity filter for the Trading Opportunities area.  See the attached screenshot for an example (a Canadian address appears between US addresses).

Post's attachments

deckboxalpha_002.JPG
deckboxalpha_002.JPG 40.71 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

The MtG standard deck validator is still flagging decks larger than 72 cards as invalid:

"This is an incomplete  Modern deck. It is not listed in the decks section and does not count towards the total decks count. A complete MtG deck contains either between 60 and 70 cards or exactly 100 (for EDH)" (emphasis added)

I'm assuming the same warning appears for any of the other formats (other than EDH) that are larger than 70 cards.

There is no upward limit on the number of cards in a MtG deck.  In fact, some win conditions (e.g., Battle of Wits) require a player to have larger libraries.

Thank you guys for the great amount of feedback and reports. We're doing another deploy in a couple of days to alpha to address some of them.

For now only a couple of small things:
  - english cards have the US flag now smile
  - rows have zebra colours so you can easily see the same card group
  - trade score for a user is now in the format "23 (100% positive)"
  - drafts of the new trading rules, as explained in their own announcement post: http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5211 (feedback for trading policies should be posted in that topic)

Thanks again, will post some responses to your reports in a couple of days, with more updates.

First off, all other trading sites fail in comparison to what you can do and accomplish in trading. I go to other sites and each time I just say to myself "wheres the lists that compare what we both want?" I mean aside from the larger community (only because deckbox hasnt been around as long) I personally see no reason to try any where else to trade.

With that said, something that would be nice which I know helps me when Im looking for a card on my wishlist, is to hover over the little person icon that tells when a person was last online or is currently online. However it only gives the day and month they were last online, it doesnt give the year. So its hard to tell exactly how long someone has been inactive. I see it all the time (espically in new users "current trades") where they offer trades to people that havent been online in 6-8 months. Or if todays date is 12/4 for example, and a user was online 11/29 of LAST year, you might think that they were online last week when its been over a year and week. Im sure if anything this a just a small fix that can be done, its just 1 one that I though about when reading the new trading policies...

Keep up the AMAZING WORK!

I just wanted to chime in.  I'm new here, and have only recently delved into the world of online trading.  This site (even before updates) is better than anything else I've found, and these updates seem really awesome. 

Big kudos for being able to distinguish between expansions, as I do like to hunt for specific versions/artwork of certain cards (also, it's a factor in value).  So big thanks to everyone who works to make this place what it is.

HikingStick wrote:

It may just be me, but on the trade interface, I liked seeing each side of the trade in a separate column, as is the case with the current site.  It made it easier to view both sides of a trade.  Also, with wide-screen displays being much more common these days, I have far more horizontal screen space than I do vertical.  Am I the only one who likes the current two-column model?

I also really miss the two column mode.  I am very quick at arithmetic, but, alas, it is now extremely difficult to quickly eyeball if I'm going to be able to make a trade that is roughly equal.  Side-by-side was far better for that.  For me, the new interface is far worse for actually being able to conduct trades, especially when we both have more than just a couple cards that the other person needs.  I look at marumari<->codysattva (can get 73, can receive 62) and it's almost entirely impossible to do now.  Even just 15<->15 is hard to decipher.  sad

Bugs I am seeing:
- When I look at an individual card, it always says "Found 0 users", for all pulldown menus.

- When I look at an individual card, I also only get page 1 of 1, even though there are far more users with the cards.

- When I look at an individual card, it shows myself as having cards in my Wishlist.  I'm not sure that is necessary.  Further, for Hallowed Fountain, I show up as needing 1, and then needing 2, in the wishlist pulldown.  I don't need to show up there, when I'm listed above as well.

Questions / Feedback / Requests:
- Will the new version of the site fix the problem of making it very hard to find people to trade with, if you're looking for a specific card?  In the current version, if I'm looking for a card, there might be 191 users over 28 pages (so many pages!), of which 90% of them have 0 feedback or haven't logged into the site in over a year.  Sorting by distance (which is I think the current setup) is the least useful option.  It would be nice if I could simply select which countries I'll trade with (Australia, Canada, USA), have the list ignore countries not on the list, and then sort the list by either immediately local, then feedback count, or simply feedback count alone.  If that's not feasible, simply changing the order to be by feedback count would be a gigantic improvement for somebody like myself, who does a lot of mail trades.

- It would be nice if my Friends page could show me the amount of available trading opportunities I have, just like I get when I view the root of the site.

- Speaking of which, it would also be great if the "Trading opportunities" panel wasn't just hidden on the main page.  When I first started using the site, it took me over a month to find out that it even existed.  I have friends who are constantly surprised by it.  It would be so much more awesome if Trading Opportunities was simply its own page, along with "Trades", "Inventory", "Tradelist", etc.

- It would also be great if I could use TCGPlayer Low in the trade itself, where everybody could see.  The average is frequently terrible, especially for cards that are dropping in value, such as when they recently rotate.  Right now, if I set my preferences to TCGPlayer low, in an individual trade, it shows me the low price and my trading partner their preference, which is usually the average price.  Further, the totals get all screwed up.  Almost all my local trades are done by TCG low, because it's far more representative of what we would actually pay.

- Since so many people only want to trade Legacy<->Legacy or Standard<->Standard, it would be nice to have an option, when viewing a trader, to "Only show standard legal cards" and to "Hide all standard legal cards".

Whew!  I'll have more feedback later, but now I must get back to work!  smile

Last edited by marumari (2012-12-04 23:05:25)

Just wanted to let you know that in the csv import option the foil and promo columns are not being read...tried multiple times and even exported a dummy file to make sure that it is in the right format.  The cards will be imported but those two columns might as well be blank.

Question, Sebi: Will the site be taken offline in the hours leading up to the crossover, to make sure we aren't entering/changing things that won't make the transition?

HikingStick wrote:

It may just be me, but on the trade interface, I liked seeing each side of the trade in a separate column, as is the case with the current site.  It made it easier to view both sides of a trade.  Also, with wide-screen displays being much more common these days, I have far more horizontal screen space than I do vertical.  Am I the only one who likes the current two-column model?

Agreed.

Thanks for the updates!

Last edited by psyllogism (2012-12-05 20:37:07)

Ronnaldo wrote:

Just wanted to let you know that in the csv import option the foil and promo columns are not being read...tried multiple times and even exported a dummy file to make sure that it is in the right format.  The cards will be imported but those two columns might as well be blank.

Yes, the problem exists, I've experienced the same stuff.

And another one thing (don't really know whether to post it here or in Site feedback and discussions). Would be great to have a possibility to create folders inside Inventory just as we can do in Decks. Together with working Spoiler View that would make collectioners' life easier: I'd like to divide cards I collect (now I'm trying to collect full sets of Classic Six and Seventh Editions) from cards I use to play, and Deck-like folders would be great thing.

BlackTracktorist wrote:
Ronnaldo wrote:

Yes, the problem exists, I've experienced the same stuff.

And another one thing (don't really know whether to post it here or in Site feedback and discussions). Would be great to have a possibility to create folders inside Inventory just as we can do in Decks. Together with working Spoiler View that would make collectioners' life easier: I'd like to divide cards I collect (now I'm trying to collect full sets of Classic Six and Seventh Editions) from cards I use to play, and Deck-like folders would be great thing.

Yess..very good idea!

I didn't see this posted yet, so sorry if it was.

I can't log in with my user to the alpha site in IE9. It just reloads the page after using the login box. Works fine in FF.

Can I suggest something? The potential trade's thing should not go by card quantity, but by value? I'd rather see that I can trade 9.52 to X and they could give me 5.76$ instead of 4 from me and 8 from X, OR if we could list it by how many cards we could give to the other people, seeing as there is a lot of "can give you 76, you can give 0"'s on my profile page.

Sebi,
Been playing around on the alpha site.  I won't post anything more than Thanks.  I can see the effort and it looks like every little complaint I had has been addressed, even some I never noticed smile  The site has come a long way in 3 years.  Now where is that donate button?

Oh!  Hey!  I thought of one other feature I had thought about, that I feel like would be really awesome to have.

Add a card called "Cash" or "Money".  It represents one dollar/euro/etc.  That way, I could have:

Have:
1 Liliana of the Veil
8 Cash

For:
1 Geist of Saint Traft

I already do plenty of cash transactions through the site, but it would be nice to have a cleaner way of doing it.

TonyRoomZ wrote:

The site has come a long way in 3 years.  Now where is that donate button?

+111

marumari wrote:

Oh!  Hey!  I thought of one other feature I had thought about, that I feel like would be really awesome to have.

Add a card called "Cash" or "Money".  It represents one dollar/euro/etc.  That way, I could have:

Have:
1 Liliana of the Veil
8 Cash

For:
1 Geist of Saint Traft

I already do plenty of cash transactions through the site, but it would be nice to have a cleaner way of doing it.

I like this idea.  Perhaps a "card" that can only be added on the trade screen (so as not to come up when entering cards by name into inventory/tradelist/wishlist).

A few currency "cards" may be needed: Euro, USD, Yen, etc.?

Alternately, there could be a text or memo field for each trade, with a corresponding amount box.  That way, people could list other things, too (e.g., boxes, life counters, and nearly any other trade-able goods), and the price/cost/value.  Currently, such things get listed in the trade chat, but I believe an option to add in the value of other non-card items would be beneficial, if not now, then in Deckbox 3.0 (after a long and well-deserved rest for bringing us 2.0!).

I just wiped my inventory in the Alpha, so as to add some cards I'm considering in a local trade--a quick way to see the by-edition value.  Anyway, while doing so, I noticed something.  I'm a heavy keyboard user.  Once entering data, I don't use the mouse unless absolutely necessary.  In the current (live) system, I can type a name, tab to select a name (once matched to the typed text), and then can tab to a quantity field.  In the new (alpha) system, it appears that the only way to change quantities while adding a card is to manually change it--as soon as I tab to select the identified card name, one of that card is added to my inventory.

I don't know where everyone else stands, but this one is a bit of a step backwards for me. I often am entering more than one copy of a card at a given time.  Am I the only one who uses the current system this way?

The following happens under Chrome.  Would anyone out there be willing to try to recreate this one under FF or IE?

If you have only a few items in your inventory (so that the list is not very long--doesn't require a lot of scrolling), if you try to edit the version of the card (via card details), the edition chooser bleeds off the bottom of the page, making it impossible to see edition options that fall below the bottom bound of the screen.

<Q> What happened to the option to see the cards in the order of the most recently entered when adding cards to inventory? I like the option, especially when adding lots of cards.

The View > Show Value option in Inventory does not show $0.00, regardless of what is in my inventory.

HikingStick wrote:

I don't know where everyone else stands, but this one is a bit of a step backwards for me. I often am entering more than one copy of a card at a given time.  Am I the only one who uses the current system this way?

After typing part of a card's name, pressing tab or enter adds one to your inventory. If you then TAB again, write a number in the box and ENTER, you get the same effect as we had on live.

sebi wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

After typing part of a card's name, pressing tab or enter adds one to your inventory. If you then TAB again, write a number in the box and ENTER, you get the same effect as we had on live.

Thanks for clarifying that, Sebi.  I can live with that.  :-)

HikingStick wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that, Sebi.  I can live with that.  :-)

The thing is... I kept going back and forth on that add widget, I think I implemented it 4 times from scratch smile. It's still I think not perfect and a bit confusing for new people so your feedback on it is very important.

The reason I would not have an extra quantity input is that I felt it makes it even more cluttered, as it already has a lot of stuff going on in it, with all the default inputs and so on.

By all means, I'd love to hear what people think is still not good enough usability wise with it, or even general thoughts and impressions about how it "feels" to use.

Sorry, Sebi.  I just realized that I posted a lot of feedback on the Alpha in this thread.  I tried to move those posts, but was not able to do so.