Re: A Request For Actual Trading Discussions

Be the example; also get new members into groups like this and make threads like this and.. big_smile

I also wish people could update the details on cards alittle bit (ie EDITION, FOIL, CONDITION) alittle bit. Conditon is a kinda biased thing because 1 person's NM could be someone else's SP so thats fine but I cant tell you how many times I was looking for a specific edition of card and when I inquire about it in a trade to someone, its not the right edition Im interested in lol. I dont expect people to redo there entire inventory but I will say it definitely a makes moving a card easier.

Helios52 wrote:

I also wish people could update the details on cards alittle bit (ie EDITION, FOIL, CONDITION) alittle bit. Conditon is a kinda biased thing because 1 person's NM could be someone else's SP so thats fine but I cant tell you how many times I was looking for a specific edition of card and when I inquire about it in a trade to someone, its not the right edition Im interested in lol. I dont expect people to redo there entire inventory but I will say it definitely a makes moving a card easier.

This is a very hard thing to ask.  For instance, I came into Deckbox with 10k+ cards, added them all to my inventory right away because I was eager to get things documented, but didn't care much about anything but getting my cards in there for tracking purposes.  I didn't care about trading right away, I just wanted a way to track all of my cards.

Now I am currently in the process of RE-cataloging everything (plus an additional few thousand cards that I've received since), along with edition, because I am in agreeance with you that it is handy to have the edition there for trading.  But I would never expect people to put that much effort into their catalog, especially twice.

As I'm recataloging I'm also leaving off condition in most cases, for the exact reason that you mentioned about it being biased/objective.

funny you should mention it.  he canceled after I asked for a pic, he claimed he couldnt send any and scoffed when i said he should mail first.   maybe instead of a rude trader i just dodged a bullet. 

As a question to you all.   If you ask someone if their cards are NM and make it clear condition of card matters. . and then you get a card that is HP and they claim 'its listed with the star rating' that its fair or right? obviously they were misleading me but is it a violation of the trade?

and i fully understand what Null is talking about.  Been trading since last year and way too many cards to update condition and set every time.  honestly just glad if they are all listed, i find cards i hae in my trade binder that isnt listed on deckbox for some reason. . very weird at times.

Last edited by mbknight (2013-04-23 20:35:12)

NullParameter wrote:

This is a very hard thing to ask.  For instance, I came into Deckbox with 10k+ cards, added them all to my inventory right away because I was eager to get things documented, but didn't care much about anything but getting my cards in there for tracking purposes.  I didn't care about trading right away, I just wanted a way to track all of my cards.

Now I am currently in the process of RE-cataloging everything (plus an additional few thousand cards that I've received since), along with edition, because I am in agreeance with you that it is handy to have the edition there for trading.  But I would never expect people to put that much effort into their catalog, especially twice.

As I'm recataloging I'm also leaving off condition in most cases, for the exact reason that you mentioned about it being biased/objective.

I agree and like I said, I dont expect people to do that on every janky common/uncommon/rare they have. I was really just referring to cards that actually have value or in demand

mbknight wrote:

funny you should mention it.  he canceled after I asked for a pic, he claimed he couldnt send any and scoffed when i said he should mail first.   maybe instead of a rude trader i just dodged a bullet. 

As a question to you all.   If you ask someone if their cards are NM and make it clear condition of card matters. . and then you get a card that is HP and they claim 'its listed with the star rating' that its fair or right? obviously they were misleading me but is it a violation of the trade?

and i fully understand what Null is talking about.  Been trading since last year and way too many cards to update condition and set every time.  honestly just glad if they are all listed, i find cards i hae in my trade binder that isnt listed on deckbox for some reason. . very weird at times.

Per the trade rules: http://deckbox.org/help/trade_rules

2.3 Card conditions can not be subject of dispute unless they were specifically mentioned in the trade negotiation (marked as such in the trade itself, or discussed in the trade chat or deckbox emails).

The way I interpret that, which I am no mod or decision maker, is if they list their card as NM & you bring it up in the negotiation, then it shows up as obviously not NM, its disputable. Just my 2 cents though.

Condition is subjective though. Always keep that in mind. I traded an old MM foil away several months back, and didn't even realize it had damage on it. He sent it back and we resolved the value with other cards.

Point being: Don't always think if the quality is off, it was intentional. People do make honest mistakes at times. I have. Others have & will too. Most *old* magic players know that old foils usually were always screwed up. It took them a few years to get them "decent". They still bend differently (sometimes of their own accord) and I still hate foils. I can also feel them in a deck. Which has gotten my opponents disqualified a few times in turnys (marked cards).

Last edited by Vincentarasin (2013-04-23 21:04:58)

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

I like that I've had trades with almost everyone on this thread. 

Honestly, I must be blessed, as I can only remember a couple of traders that were rude, or non-communicative. Most people I've traded with have been polite and honest. Luckily my first few were with nice, experienced traders - and that's just the way I thought things were around here.  I could list several people who have gone above and beyond, and I'm still meeting more.

Til;dr? Thanks to the people who treat people

grossoggodeckbox wrote:

Canceling trades without any warning/explanation seems to partly be due to having so many new members on the site.  No one I have traded with before has done that to me, however brand new users have done it to me multiple times (usually several times each Monday...).  I use it as an opportunity to write a sentence or two about good trade etiquette.  It is great that Deckbox is becoming more popular and that there are many more people to trade with than there were six months ago, but we all need to be a little proactive in describing good trade etiquette to newer members.  I have almost always gotten a favorable response from people after doing this and hopefully they understand the Deckbox community a little better.

I should add that its not only newer members that cancel trades without warning, I may have done it a time of two myself (shame on me), but it is a growing trend I have noticed.

I believe another reason is that it is still possible to have the same card committed to multiple trades.  I'd like to have a way to pull my cards out of my inventory at the point we agree on the terms.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

I'll admit, I have been...less than communicative at times, though lately I have been working on that point specifically. big_smile

HikingStick wrote:

I believe another reason is that it is still possible to have the same card committed to multiple trades.  I'd like to have a way to pull my cards out of my inventory at the point we agree on the terms.

For the love of all that is good, yes!

We should start tagging people in the trade feedback that negotiate smile

Paul_K wrote:

Staples, this is truly a myth.  I've been playing magic for well over 15 years now and there really are few cards that are truly staples.  Staples is just another way of saying I want expensive cards and expensive cards only.

That's been one of my biggest annoyances.  It seems like half the people on here are only looking to trade their $10 cards towards Misty Rainforest, Snapcaster Mage, or LotV.

I guess I'm blessed by not having any such expensive cards.  To be fair, I rarely try to trade for anything over $15.

drgolovacroxby wrote:

I guess I'm blessed by not having any such expensive cards.

Yeah me too lol