Topic: Spammer

Hey Sebi,

I don't know how frequently you check the forums (I'd like to think every day), but the user noehringarmi is a spammer.  He's made 20+ posts of links to various outdoors enthusiast merchandise in cyrillic.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Re: Spammer

And a second one... oattisoneuge

And a third... edressescheap

It's a common problem on smaller forums.  I used to mod on another forum, and the easiest way we found there was to require a new user's first 10 posts to be subject to moderator approval.  It was tedious and a mild annoyance, and it didn't stop the spammers from posting, it just kept those posts from hitting the main boards.  And since they needed a minimum of 10 approved posts, even if one cleverly snuck in (I noticed that sometimes they'd copy a post and sneak a link into the middle of it, so when scanning the posts in the queue, it would look legit), the majority never saw the light of day.

the_wizard_666 wrote:

It's a common problem on smaller forums.  I used to mod on another forum, and the easiest way we found there was to require a new user's first 10 posts to be subject to moderator approval.  It was tedious and a mild annoyance, and it didn't stop the spammers from posting, it just kept those posts from hitting the main boards.  And since they needed a minimum of 10 approved posts, even if one cleverly snuck in (I noticed that sometimes they'd copy a post and sneak a link into the middle of it, so when scanning the posts in the queue, it would look legit), the majority never saw the light of day.

I like that idea, though the site would likely need more moderators (across the various language groups, too).

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this. The users have been removed together with their posts and their domains have been blocked from deckbox. We like spammers even less than you do big_smile

Thanks Laura!

*sigh*... we have another one in egrabnerdono

Thanks again guys.  I don't know why they just started doing this now as I'm sure it makes your jobs (that you already do for us for free) just that much more complicated.

and eadickesmikel

Man these people are annoying...

and nogdentimm

Something will need to be done to require additional verification before new accounts will be allowed to post--or even logic preventing too many posts in too short a period of time (anyone use Slashdot? they have a decent system).

These spammers are becoming more and more frequent.

I like HikingStick's solutions. They sound pretty effective against this type of spam. Also using CAPTCHA and email verification on registration will prevent auto registrations.

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

Silvaa--what's up with your signature? All I see is a pair of blocks noting that some video has been taken down.

Really? Its a couple of images I posted to Flikr and I see them just fine.

Basically I made a couple forum signatures in Photoshop... and decided to use them in each forum I join.

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

I've been seeing those Flickr errors for the past few days on your posts. Now, when I just refreshed this thread, I finally see the intended images.

annnnd uelindburgmargi

and now wbuywigs

Both gone :-D
Once we are back from holidays we will have a closer look at the spamming issue and implement better ways of avoiding it. Thanks again for reporting

Another spammer: eenyagecicshirl

I deleted posts where I had the ability to, but there are more places than not that I do not have that authority.

NullParameter wrote:

Another spammer: eenyagecicshirl

I deleted posts where I had the ability to, but there are more places than not that I do not have that authority.

I just posted a reply in the Moderator Forum regarding that--our access does not appear to be site-wide.  I deleted four or so that I found, too.

Banned and deleted the forum user. We had the information necessary to ban him, but somehow his user missed the cut smile

Fixed now, we should be fine.

This guy named Kai Fogelquist has been spamming one of my decks in the comments section all day, I have like 10 notification emails because of it.

Can I disable comments or must I set every one of my other decks to private for fear he'll smash those too?

Hi, if this is indeed true, we will ban the user for being a spammer. At the moment I can't see any comments on any of your decks, that must be because you deleted all of them. Next time he does it, please don't delete it so we have proof and we will ban them. Thanks for reporting this smile

laura wrote:

Hi, if this is indeed true, we will ban the user for being a spammer. At the moment I can't see any comments on any of your decks, that must be because you deleted all of them. Next time he does it, please don't delete it so we have proof and we will ban them. Thanks for reporting this smile

Will do, thank you!