Topic: A Little FYI Regarding Stamp Trades

So I just wanted to point something out to people when they make smaller stamp trades - one normal 46 (or whatever) stamp is NOT enough postage when you have a top loader in your envelope. Most of the time, the postal carrier won't say anything, but that's far from always. I got my 8th "Postage Due" envelope in the last year today, and as somebody who never has cash, getting the 20 cents necessary can be a pain in the rear.

Luckily, at least my mail lady's nice enough to let me have the letter without having the cash right away. So, get some 66 (or 86 for over 1oz) cent stamps, people. It's not a huge deal, but it's getting a bit old to have to pay to get my cards tongue

Re: A Little FYI Regarding Stamp Trades

asmodeanreborn wrote:

So I just wanted to point something out to people when they make smaller stamp trades - one normal 46 (or whatever) stamp is NOT enough postage when you have a top loader in your envelope. Most of the time, the postal carrier won't say anything, but that's far from always. I got my 8th "Postage Due" envelope in the last year today, and as somebody who never has cash, getting the 20 cents necessary can be a pain in the rear.

Luckily, at least my mail lady's nice enough to let me have the letter without having the cash right away. So, get some 66 (or 86 for over 1oz) cent stamps, people. It's not a huge deal, but it's getting a bit old to have to pay to get my cards tongue

I weigh mine at the post office and a regular stamp is fine for one toploader and 3 cards. For 2 top loaders it requires a 66. For more I use a bubble mailer.

What happens if my envelope is too heavy? Do I have to go to the post office and they'll inform me? Or do I get sent a letter saying "Ah yo. Fix this"?

tjdrake719 wrote:
asmodeanreborn wrote:

I weigh mine at the post office and a regular stamp is fine for one toploader and 3 cards. For 2 top loaders it requires a 66. For more I use a bubble mailer.

One top loader and 3 cards requires 66 cents because it's technically non-machinable. Two top loaders is borderline 86...

DrakeSlade wrote:

What happens if my envelope is too heavy? Do I have to go to the post office and they'll inform me? Or do I get sent a letter saying "Ah yo. Fix this"?

It's at their discretion - the one I got today was too heavy, so they asked me (the recipient) for another 20 cents.

Yeah I have had them returned to me before, but that was because I wasn't putting on the extra 20 cents for non-machinable. I think I have sent a few that needed another 20 because they were over 1 oz, but they never were returned and none of my recipients ever said anything. But when I took in an envelope that had two top loaders it in (at least 4 cards) it weighed too much and I had to add another 20, according to the lady at the desk.

66 cents because it is non-machinable, 20 extra cents after the first oz.

I collect funny, epic, or unique flavor texts (foil if applicable)
Looking to purchase one player rewards and one judge foil Wasteland.
Tradelist | Wishist

shifty4690 wrote:

Yeah I have had them returned to me before, but that was because I wasn't putting on the extra 20 cents for non-machinable. I think I have sent a few that needed another 20 because they were over 1 oz, but they never were returned and none of my recipients ever said anything. But when I took in an envelope that had two top loaders it in (at least 4 cards) it weighed too much and I had to add another 20, according to the lady at the desk.

66 cents because it is non-machinable, 20 extra cents after the first oz.

This is correct.

Also, the reason it usually goes through is that they don't check a vast majority of the letters. The company I work for had some serious miscalculations in order weights for USPS shipments (in this case it didn't matter for UPS and FedEx), and it wasn't discovered until about a month after the faulty code had been deployed because USPS never checked what it actually weighed - but when they finally did, they sent all the mail from the previous day back.

I may or may not have been slightly at fault for said code :-/

shifty4690 is correct.  The top loaders make the envelope ridged (non-machinable).  That's why you are required to add the extra 20¢.  It is not up to their discretion.  They often don't catch it (or they are just too lazy to care).  I've had many things come postage due, and I've also have them returned.  Depending on how much you owe, you might even have to goto the post office to get the item.  Point is, you shouldn't really be cheap about it.  It's fricking 20¢, if you can't afford that much extra.  You shouldn't be playing magic in the first place.

It goes like this:

(Regular envelope with top loader and less than 1/4 thick.)
1 ounce : 66¢
2 ounces : 86¢
3 ounces : $1.06
4 ounces : becomes large envelope rate which I don't remember exactly, but around $1.50

USPS is terrible about paying attention to the weight of items.  MANY ebay sellers under value shipping because they almost never get caught and that equals more money for them.  Pretty crappy, and people wonder why USPS keeps going up and up.  Probably the same people that use priority boxes inside of brown paper and the like (which is actually a felony.  You're stealing from the USPS)

Last edited by Mattssacre (2013-08-17 06:31:22)

I always use a bubble mailer with 2 stamps.

Never once got it returned, so I never have to worry about it!

In my 240+ trades, probably 200 of them have been plain envelope. Of those, I've only ever gotten 2 back because they needed more postage hmm

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

Mattssacre wrote:

Probably the same people that use priority boxes inside of brown paper and the like (which is actually a felony.  You're stealing from the USPS)

Seriously? I knew you couldn't use them for other stuff, but last time I used a Medium Priority Flat Rate box to send to Sweden, the manager at the post office said I'd be better off just buying one of their other (non-priority) boxes and sticking the flat rate box inside of it and shipping it, so I did, right in front of her - it saved me $20 in shipping.

Seems weird that she'd encourage that, even though I bought a box from them for $3 that way.

Mattssacre wrote:

shifty4690 is correct.  The top loaders make the envelope ridged (non-machinable).  That's why you are required to add the extra 20¢.  It is not up to their discretion.  They often don't catch it (or they are just too lazy to care).  I've had many things come postage due, and I've also have them returned.  Depending on how much you owe, you might even have to goto the post office to get the item.  Point is, you shouldn't really be cheap about it.  It's fricking 20¢, if you can't afford that much extra.  You shouldn't be playing magic in the first place.

It goes like this:

(Regular envelope with top loader and less than 1/4 thick.)
1 ounce : 66¢
2 ounces : 86¢
3 ounces : $1.06
4 ounces : becomes large envelope rate which I don't remember exactly, but around $1.50

USPS is terrible about paying attention to the weight of items.  MANY ebay sellers under value shipping because they almost never get caught and that equals more money for them.  Pretty crappy, and people wonder why USPS keeps going up and up.  Probably the same people that use priority boxes inside of brown paper and the like (which is actually a felony.  You're stealing from the USPS)

I'm actually really surprised to hear all of this. I've been shipping single toploaders with up to four cards using a single 44 cent "forever" stamp for the better part of a year now (in two different states) and have never had an issue. The only "postage due" return I received was an envelope I sent to Quebec with two stamps (really needed three for that or international stamps). The "non-machinable" fact is new to me and helpful for the future.

Also, I've received a number of single toploaders in humble check-size envelopes with no issue.

Maybe this depends on the local office? It would make sense that the volume of mail (or tempermant of staff) would discourage a sharper eye on things.

asmodeanreborn wrote:
Mattssacre wrote:

Probably the same people that use priority boxes inside of brown paper and the like (which is actually a felony.  You're stealing from the USPS)

Seriously? I knew you couldn't use them for other stuff, but last time I used a Medium Priority Flat Rate box to send to Sweden, the manager at the post office said I'd be better off just buying one of their other (non-priority) boxes and sticking the flat rate box inside of it and shipping it, so I did, right in front of her - it saved me $20 in shipping.

Seems weird that she'd encourage that, even though I bought a box from them for $3 that way.

He made money on you from buying their over-priced shipping supplies and you were shipping to Sweeden, so he knew they were making money. They probably didn't care about the cost of the box since it was costing so much for you to sent anyway.   I'm talking about the people who use priority boxes (supplies) for First class, Fedex, UPS, etc.   If you read the terms and agreements for the free USPS supplies, it basically says they own them and are giving you permission to use them with their service.  Any other use is stealing.

ModiHammarstedt wrote:

I always use a bubble mailer with 2 stamps.

Never once got it returned, so I never have to worry about it!

You should consider yourself lucky.  In any case, you still aren't putting enough postage on it.  Bubble envelopes are considered packages (They're usually over 1/4", and if you put a toploader in it, they consider it rigid)  At the very least it should be $2.07.  That's why most people recommend shipping via Paypal "ship now".  It's only $1.69 and comes with delivery confirmation.

Just because they never returned one to you doesn't mean they haven't charged the person on the other end to receive it.

I've shipped about 125 trades now and only had it returned *once* for NSF, and that was my fault: I tried to tape two top loaders together.  I very regularly use the 75pt top loaders (which can hold about five cards) and ship them in #6 envelopes and I've never once had a time where a single forever stamp has not been perfectly sufficient.

Maybe it's worse for the usual #10 envelope (where the top loader will frequently wedge itself into a corner) or something, but a single top loader in a #6 envelope has always worked fantastically for me.

Doesn't First Class Forever Stamps bypass this?

merged wrote:

Doesn't First Class Forever Stamps bypass this?

First class forever stamps are good for machinable letters only.  Non machinable letters incur a 20c surcharge.

Something I thought of this weekend regarding the machinable issue: there are a lot of greeting cards that don't require extra postage that are about as stiff (if not more so) than a toploader with three MTG cards. Perhaps that's why some of us in this forum haven't reported any issues?

brightmatrix wrote:

Something I thought of this weekend regarding the machinable issue: there are a lot of greeting cards that don't require extra postage that are about as stiff (if not more so) than a toploader with three MTG cards. Perhaps that's why some of us in this forum haven't reported any issues?

Greeting cards cost the extra 20¢.  The post office even makes seasonal greeting card stamps (with lots of silly designs for different occasions)

Just go pick up some 20¢ stamps from the PO.  Can you really not afford that?  Why is it pricing that difficult to understand?  It is what it is.  Quit being cheap.

I mailed a bunch of small trades(<4 cards) in a toploader, for a single stamp.  I used a long envelope, folded the card into a single piece of paper from top to bottom, then stapled through the paper on the sides of the toploader.  I never got anything from the PO of the other party about postage due. 

Would you guys mention that to the trader?  I'm worried that that it may have happened, but have not heard about it.  I sent a few this way with a single stamp, then kept telling the lady that they were fine on one stamp and they would just shrug and send them out.  I just hope my fellow traders never had to pay.

I have probably received about 500 envelopes with a single envelope via Deckbox, eBay, or TCGPlayer, and I've never once been asked to pay an extra 20¢.  USPS will, most of the time, return packages for NSF.  Otherwise, they're not likely to go through all that bother to collect 20¢.

Mattssacre wrote:
brightmatrix wrote:

Greeting cards cost the extra 20¢.  The post office even makes seasonal greeting card stamps (with lots of silly designs for different occasions)

Just go pick up some 20¢ stamps from the PO.  Can you really not afford that?  Why is it pricing that difficult to understand?  It is what it is.  Quit being cheap.

I went down to my local PO today with an envelope filled with a toploader with 3 cards. I asked if it was machinable. The lady working said yes, it wasn't too thick. All it needed was a regular stamp; this was coming directly from the post office employee. Why would you add extra postage to something. Not wasting money isn't the same thing as being cheap. I wouldn't go to the store and pay an extra 40% for my total bill, why would I do it with stamps?

tjdrake719 wrote:
Mattssacre wrote:
brightmatrix wrote:

I went down to my local PO today with an envelope filled with a toploader with 3 cards. I asked if it was machinable. The lady working said yes, it wasn't too thick. All it needed was a regular stamp; this was coming directly from the post office employee. Why would you add extra postage to something. Not wasting money isn't the same thing as being cheap. I wouldn't go to the store and pay an extra 40% for my total bill, why would I do it with stamps?

No employee has ever told me that an envelope with a top loader in it is machinable - they always point out that it's too rigid and use their "Nonmachinable" stamp. I ended up buying 66 cent stamps because they suggested that it would be easier with how often I came in. 

I've had to add 20 cents a total of 8 times in the last year or so, no big deal, but I pointed it out because it was starting to happen a little bit too often. I've only mentioned it to the trader the last couple of times I think (it's possible I said something one of the first times too), but probably should've said something every single time.

asmodeanreborn wrote:
tjdrake719 wrote:
Mattssacre wrote:

No employee has ever told me that an envelope with a top loader in it is machinable - they always point out that it's too rigid and use their "Nonmachinable" stamp. I ended up buying 66 cent stamps because they suggested that it would be easier with how often I came in. 

I've had to add 20 cents a total of 8 times in the last year or so, no big deal, but I pointed it out because it was starting to happen a little bit too often. I've only mentioned it to the trader the last couple of times I think (it's possible I said something one of the first times too), but probably should've said something every single time.

Huh, odd. Well, it doesn't come up for me often really. 6 cards is a 66 cent stamp (just under 1 ounce), more than 6 I send first class. Strange that there is a difference between offices.