Re: USA traders, why do you count out Canada?

There are many reasons that international shipping is more of a hassle.  Even just going to Canada packages have to pass through customs which can cause delays.  Shipping prices seem to increase significantly if you want any sort of tracking or insurance.  First Class International can get it there cheaply, but you run the risks involved with sending an item without tracking. 

I used to sell jewelry, if you put the value of the item on the customs form and you don't have tracking or insurance, you're just inviting people along the way to mess with it.  In addition to that if you do ship with a customs form anything over $25 to Canada and don't mark it as a gift, it's possible that the person receiving the item will have to pay import duties or taxes.  This seems to be inconsistent as I once shipped a $200 bracelet and had no complaints, but then $30 worth of earrings had the person e-mailing me that she paid as much in fees as she did for the earrings.  Both items went to Canada, both were shipped from the same post office and both had customs forms.  I had a $100 item go 'missing' that was shipped to another country, and was basically just told sorry and that they couldn't track it since I didn't buy the $15 insurance. 

More recently I paid $8 to ship a video game to Canada and it returned to me because the buyer didn't put his apartment number in the order.  So in order to provide good customer service and keep positive feedback, I paid for the second shipping out of pocket ($16 total to ship a $40 item.  I had only charged $7 shipping).  So sending cards for cards and paying fees/extra shipping on top of it just seems to negate the point of trading.  I could just be buying cards and adding to my collection instead.  I have sent small trades to Canada though.  If it's less than 6 cards and I can feel comfortable sticking it in a plain white envelope, then it's only a little over $1 or three regular stamps. 

One thing I have learned to do though is order my shipping labels through PayPal's Multi-Order shipping.  PayPal gets you a commercial rate on your shipping which saves money and includes some tracking information even on cheaper packages.  It also avoids the argument I seem to have with some postal workers as to what counts as a package, since some of the bubble envelopes aren't quite 1/4 of an inch thick.

I have actually had multiple shipments (some to, some from) canada go missing.

My issues are:
1. Cost
2. Tracking options suck / dont exist
3. Time delay

I hate to discount my canadian brethren, but I'm not in the business of just losing shit in the mail without a reason sad

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

I was really sad when I first learned of your reasoning for counting out of Canadian traders Vincentarasin.  I had visited your profile at least a half dozen times before with potential trades in mind, only to see the message on your profile (Even right now there's a huge trade opportunity, lol). sad

I did end up coming across a previous thread that discussed this sort of issue, where I learned about why you felt that you had to stop allowing trades to Canada, and I can understand it.  No one likes trades going missing, no matter how few trades it may be.  One trade going missing is too many. sad

Dear Canada,
I will ship to you.
Happy trading.
Charlie

My experiences shipping to Canada have been a mixed bag.

• Items (my JTMS for his Goyf) were simul-sent on 8/16 to Toronto.  I paid for International Priority mail which was $20.  Didn't come with tracking and I later learned that tracking only comes with International Express which would've cost $34 (note that these are all according to USPS workers).  I received his item on 8/24 (8 days).  He didn't get my item until 9/5 (20 days).

• At the same time that was happening, I had another trade to Toronto simul-sent out on 8/17.  This time, I mailed it off as a document (rigid white envelope, $1.30 stamp).  He received the item on 8/24 (7 days) and I received his item on the same day.

• Another Goyf trade sent out on 8/28.  Again as document with just $1.30 stamp.  I received on 9/9 (12 days) and I believe he received a couple of days before I did.

• Trade with OP sent out on 8/29.  I received on 9/5 (7 days).  He received on 9/10 (12 days).

• Another trade to Toronto sent-out on 9/3.  He sent out on 9/2 (which was Labor Day, PO was closed).  I received item on 9/9 (7 days).  He received item on 9/14 (11 days).

• Currently have a trade sent out around 9/6.  I received his item on 9/12 (6 days).  He's still waiting on mine (13 days+).

+ several other transactions to Canada that worked out albeit not in a super timely manner.

So what I've learned is that Priority/Express mail isn't worth it (in fact, my only bad experience shipping to Canada was with Priority mail).  Additionally, it seems to take longer for them to receive item than I do.  I think I have received the items first in the majority of my trades to Canada.  I'm not sure if this is b/c of USPS, Canada Post, or other factors.

Overall, I don't mind shipping to Canada (especially since I've had more Goyf offers from across the border than in State) but there is more risk involved in not being able to easily track items.

I have to tell that even though I had never had any problems with Canadian traders (actually, with none on Deckbox to be fair), when I see someone from Canada offering me cards, it's an instant turn off to me. Cost, hassle, customs slip (which for whatever reason is required at my post office), and generally speaking low values of trades (vs. time spent) simply don't make it worth it.

Additional waiting time and lack of cheap protection options (tracking and insurance) usually push me towards spending my $$ at TCGPlayer rather than paying USPS for sending my cards. Sad, but true sad

Last edited by PawelDom (2013-09-20 03:19:04)

Vincentarasin wrote:

I have actually had multiple shipments (some to, some from) canada go missing.

My issues are:
1. Cost
2. Tracking options suck / dont exist
3. Time delay

I hate to discount my canadian brethren, but I'm not in the business of just losing shit in the mail without a reason sad

I can second this.

These factors suck but i still trade with Canada, though.

Canada is one of those places where if I do trade there, I really don't need something immediately (aka: need edh).
Every other format, if I feel like it's too high value or time is pressed to get it, I don't do it.
It's too time intensive and their customs services aren't reliable.

For example, I received this message recently from a trade. I did the best to make it low cost.

"They said there's customs fee even if it's marked as gift. Honestly, in my experience, they just do whatever they feel like, whenever. There's very little rhyme or reason. However, I DO know that it's best to keep packages as small as possible just to help avoid getting any attention resulting in situations like this."

That kind of inconsistency kind of turns me off. I mean seriously, that shipment was air express and should not have had any problems. And I have shipped way more expensive trades the same way, without hassle.

To put it simply, I don't get it, and in the future may refuse Canadian trades based on this.