Re: Request for Comment: Trading restrictions&User levels to promote trust

I would not recommend a scale solely on card value. Some may have dozens of successful trades that don't add up to $250, for example, but I'd trade with them anyway. Follow through is follow through.

if I saw someone with two dozen $5 trades who wanted to trade for $50 of my cards, I would consider asking them to send first, or to complete some higher value trades (in the $10s and $20s) first.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

gumgodMTG wrote:
dawsonjay wrote:

How about a simple 'The person with less feedback always sends first' rule?

A person with feedback under a set threshold must send first seems like it would solve this. 

I do like the idea of 'verified users'.  Users who have done something to confirm their information.

edit: +1 to this:

Amurphcs wrote:
elpablo wrote:

+1

+1 as well

Also, implying that people who don't want to be premium members don't support Deckbox is ridiculous. Perhaps if the additional features were more appealing, people would sign up.

I also don't want to pay montly for premium features.  But I do sometimes sell cards here, and have paid Deckbox for that privilege.  So even though I don't have 'premium' you are making money from me (even if it's only a little).  I love this site, but I have no interest in the current premium features.

I am at work, so this will be quick.

First, Sebi, thank you for all your hard work and for entertaining this idea. I think it is high time for this type of feature.

Some folks want restrictions, other just want warnings. I like the idea of both, reduce the restrictions as stated in your original post, but still add some (such as users under some threshold must send first, users under a certain threshold can only trade below a certain value, etc). Also include the warnings and verified users.

Finally, I am all for 2-step authentication on this site!

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

Wouldn't requiring a verified address for trades over a certain amount provide some of the safeguards needed? It's easier (at least in the USA) to file a mail fraud claim if the other party's address is confirmed.

While not sure I'd support the idea, a credit card or bank account (alternate payment method) could be required for trades over a certain amount. If the trade goes south, the alternate payment information could be used to make it good. This would, of course, require a revision to site rules and trade policies, and all parties of a trade would have to agree to all terms.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:

Wouldn't requiring a verified address for trades over a certain amount provide some of the safeguards needed? It's easier (at least in the USA) to file a mail fraud claim if the other party's address is confirmed.

While not sure I'd support the idea, a credit card or bank account (alternate payment method) could be required for trades over a certain amount. If the trade goes south, the alternate payment information could be used to make it good. This would, of course, require a revision to site rules and trade policies, and all parties of a trade would have to agree to all terms.

I would be more inclined to use a mediator. Basically both parties send to a site admin/mod and once all cards are checked and deemed accurate in terms of condition set etc then the mediator sends to respective parties

On a separate note, it may be good for sellers to have the ability to leave feedback for a buyer. I have done around 6 purchases on here thus far, but have no feedback to show for it which is kind of disheartening

at this point I think people should have to have a paypal or credit card registered. I am probably going to be out $100+ cause I got ripped from an established user. If he had a card or paypal linked to the site it would make it so we have more information to report to the police or make the site have an agreement if you refuse to work through trade disputes money can be charged to that person and transferred to the effected party.

IMO, no thanks. A restrictive tier system is a bad idea. I want greater access to a larger card pool, and I want the same for everyone, regardless of their trading experience. Level 4s should be able to trade with level 1s, and the same goes for level 1s looking to trade with all other user levels. This site needs to be as open as possible and a small degree of risk is to be expected.

I am, however, open to a verified/non-verified distinction (either by credit card, PayPal, or address), but not to the extent that it limits someone who does not have a credit card or PayPal account.

Full disclosure: I have been trading a mix of high value and lower value cards on the site for some time now with nothing but positive feedback, and as a result I would likely fall into the 4th all-access level.

Last edited by easysantiago (2016-03-16 01:47:25)

I really don't care for the initial proposal.  I am very picky about the trades that I do (and I am a collector so I keep a lot of stuff) so I have been on the site for 2 years and only have 13 trades.

3 of those trades were purchases before the marketplace existed so I have a 0 value trade for them.  My most recent trade was a Portuguese box of Rise of the Eldrazi for some duals and other cards.  That was a $250 trade, but it shows zero on my side.  Plus I have a number of trades where the value has significantly decreased from what I sent them as (standard stuff mostly).  If you were to add everything as it happened it should be well over $800 in trades/purchases for those 13 positive reviews I have.

The value shows as ~$280.  I feel that I would be negatively impacted by this.

Also with the proposal, a level 1 user wouldn't have been able to trade their prerelease foil Narset for a bunch of standard cards.

And finally I can remember a lot of users with high rep scamming (or at least providing poor trading experience) people back when the disputes were in an open forum.  I give the benefit of the doubt to larger users and I always offer to send first, but I am just as concerned with being ripped by a high rep (>20) vs a lower rep (5-20).

Just thought I'd weigh in. First of all, Sebi, this is of course an amazing site and you're a marvelous administrator. Keep up the great work, as I sincerely appreciate all the features you continue to add making this site better.

All in all, I'm in favor of checkbox style warnings rather than any kind of hard limits on anyone, ever. If anything, I think this kind of feature is less important than finding a way to leave less than positive [see: honest] feedback for someone without risking retaliatory feedback in return. The reason why some people have been scammed by high-rep users is because once you understand the system, anyone can easily manipulate it to avoid ever getting negative feedback by putting the threat of retaliatory feedback upon their trading partners.

This encourages (or at least allows) poor trading experiences. I have never had a trade not arrive (other than one I sent that got lost in the mail about a year ago) but I have had multiple bad experiences with cards not arriving in the condition described. Of course, I can't realistically hold my trading partners accountable for this without attempting to reverse the entire trade, and even then I risk negative feedback for doing so. Instead, because I value the positive reputation I have built, I just suck it up and accept the fact I was scammed by someone giving me terrible condition cards.

Do you have any implementable ideas for features that would allow people to actually leave honest feedback for other users to help mitigate situations like this and in turn hold the community to a higher standard?

AuspSqueeky wrote:

Just thought I'd weigh in. First of all, Sebi, this is of course an amazing site and you're a marvelous administrator. Keep up the great work, as I sincerely appreciate all the features you continue to add making this site better.

All in all, I'm in favor of checkbox style warnings rather than any kind of hard limits on anyone, ever. If anything, I think this kind of feature is less important than finding a way to leave less than positive [see: honest] feedback for someone without risking retaliatory feedback in return. The reason why some people have been scammed by high-rep users is because once you understand the system, anyone can easily manipulate it to avoid ever getting negative feedback by putting the threat of retaliatory feedback upon their trading partners.

This encourages (or at least allows) poor trading experiences. I have never had a trade not arrive (other than one I sent that got lost in the mail about a year ago) but I have had multiple bad experiences with cards not arriving in the condition described. Of course, I can't realistically hold my trading partners accountable for this without attempting to reverse the entire trade, and even then I risk negative feedback for doing so. Instead, because I value the positive reputation I have built, I just suck it up and accept the fact I was scammed by someone giving me terrible condition cards.

Do you have any implementable ideas for features that would allow people to actually leave honest feedback for other users to help mitigate situations like this and in turn hold the community to a higher standard?

Negative feedback should only be allowed to be left if approved by an admin. They would be able to review the situation and make a decision from there. Any neg feedback given without approval should be able to be deleted

The tier system is a bad idea. It's not what stops scammers. Stopping scammers starts with IP logging/checking and being dedicated to banning without remorse any returning rippers on a daily basis. It means having trustworthy moderators who won't allow friends to practice shady trading practices. It means immediate sanctions against users if even the slightest hint of treachery should pop up. If your system on DB can't do this, you will always be open to returning rip off artists.  I'm not saying it's foolproof, but these are all proven tactics that reduce ripping. The rest is common sense, something we all have lapses on from time to time. Internet trading is a scary proposition, you can't hold each traders hand through every possible scenario.

However, it's not all doom and gloom. I would be in favor of a more detailed feedback system.

For example

You rate your experience out of 5 stars for each of the following:

Communication
Shipping speed
Packing
Card Condition
"insert something I have missed here"

These would allow for a continually evolving/updating feedback system. Someone could have 100+ positive refs but when you dig deeper you see that Trader X "card condition" is 3.8/5  thus indicating that card condition may not be as described. Being armed with info like I get a better idea of what my potential trader partners habits are like.

I really can't stress enough the logging of IP addresses and the daily requirement of staff to check them against banned IP's. At MTG Salvation when I was the head honcho over the Market Street we were dedicated to checking all new user IP to see if they cross referenced with anyone else on the site. Doing a thorough background check (even if you have to suspend the user for a day or two) makes it more difficult for thieves to get a foothold.

None of what I say will eliminate all theft, it's simply not possible. Realistically were looking for deterrence, not complete elimination.

Verification systems (credit card, paypal, "insert whatever you think is legitimate" is fine as a SECONDARY step, but these types of things can alienate your user base, especially those who are afraid to put their info on the internet.

Just my .02  from a guy who was ripped on this website along with many others by somoene with over 200  positive refs and as a former Moderator on a large site dedicated to trading.

Last edited by TechnicolorMage (2016-03-16 05:15:42)

TechnicolorMage wrote:

The tier system is a bad idea. It's not what stops scammers. Stopping scammers starts with IP logging/checking and being dedicated to banning without remorse any returning rippers on a daily basis. It means having trustworthy moderators who won't allow friends to practice shady trading practices. It means immediate sanctions against users if even the slightest hint of treachery should pop up. If your system on DB can't do this, you will always be open to returning rip off artists.  I'm not saying it's foolproof, but these are all proven tactics that reduce ripping. The rest is common sense, something we all have lapses on from time to time. Internet trading is a scary proposition, you can't hold each traders hand through every possible scenario.

However, it's not all doom and gloom. I would be in favor of a more detailed feedback system.

For example

You rate your experience out of 5 stars for each of the following:

Communication
Shipping speed
Packing
Card Condition
"insert something I have missed here"

These would allow for a continually evolving/updating feedback system. Someone could have 100+ positive refs but when you dig deeper you see that Trader X "card condition" is 3.8/5  thus indicating that card condition may not be as described. Being armed with info like I get a better idea of what my potential trader partners habits are like.

I really can't stress enough the logging of IP addresses and the daily requirement of staff to check them against banned IP's. At MTG Salvation when I was the head honcho over the Market Street we were dedicated to checking all new user IP to see if they cross referenced with anyone else on the site. Doing a thorough background check (even if you have to suspend the user for a day or two) makes it more difficult for thieves to get a foothold.

None of what I say will eliminate all theft, it's simply not possible. Realistically were looking for deterrence, not complete elimination.

Verification systems (credit card, paypal, "insert whatever you think is legitimate" is fine as a SECONDARY step, but these types of things can alienate your user base, especially those who are afraid to put their info on the internet.

Just my .02  from a guy who was ripped on this website along with many others by somoene with over 200  positive refs and as a former Moderator on a large site dedicated to trading.

+1 on the whole thing really. A multi-facet rating system would be great.
I also think that it should be suggested that if that system is in place, people should leave the exact reason for leaving anything less than 5 stars for a particular rating. That way it would be a more detailed account so it takes some of the subjectivity out of the equation.

Amurphcs wrote:

On a separate note, it may be good for sellers to have the ability to leave feedback for a buyer. I have done around 6 purchases on here thus far, but have no feedback to show for it which is kind of disheartening

Im not sure y a buyer would be deserving of feedback.

"He didnt chargeback me hes a good buyer"

would probably be the extent of feedback

Sidewayzracer wrote:
Amurphcs wrote:

Because it currently looks like ive only done 2 trades on here, while i have made numerous purchases on here as well. The point is the seller receives feedback, why not the buyer as well? It would allow people to see who is a good buyer and who is shady, especially when it comes to receiving the cards. Think about that, and then tell me that a buyer who has good practices isnt deserving of feedback. Doesnt have to be a long thing, "prompt payment, great buyer" or whatever, but it would go a long way to identifying those who have bad practices as buyers.

Amurphcs wrote:
Sidewayzracer wrote:
Amurphcs wrote:

Because it currently looks like ive only done 2 trades on here, while i have made numerous purchases on here as well. The point is the seller receives feedback, why not the buyer as well? It would allow people to see who is a good buyer and who is shady, especially when it comes to receiving the cards. Think about that, and then tell me that a buyer who has good practices isnt deserving of feedback. Doesnt have to be a long thing, "prompt payment, great buyer" or whatever, but it would go a long way to identifying those who have bad practices as buyers.

Buyer feedback is un-needed,  prompt payment doesnt mean anything when everything is paid for before shipping.  It would allow for the feedback system to be gamed to inflate ratings.

As a trader with 700+ trades here, and someone that has narrowly avoided being scammed 3 or so times out of high value cards, I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I think doing something to encourage more verification is good.
I think doing something to more forcefully encourage or require low-feedback traders to always send first to higher feedback traders is also good.

I personally am not too concerned about trading myself -- I've done well to protect myself so far. The scenario that most worries me is a scammer that works up a moderate number of trades (10-20) and then tries to scam large numbers of new traders with less feedback than themselves. I saw this happen at least twice in the last few years. They tried to scam me but I insisted they send first, and they either never did, or sent fake cards. I'm not sure what the right threshold is here, but I DEFINITELY think that once a trader has an OPEN issue/complaint to resolve, that they should not be able to initiate new trades, and an admin should probably review that immediately and also (probably) prevent any already-open trades from sending cards to that person until the issue is resolved.

One person getting scammed is bad. A whole bunch of people getting scammed because they can't share information quickly amongst themselves is a bigger tragedy, imho.
-Sherlock

For a long time and reliable deckbox user with well over 100 trades with %100 feedback. My highest trade was between $250-$500, and have had lots of sucess. I would be very displeased to be put down to a level 3 with restrictions just because i dont want to donate $10 for a seller account i wouldnt use or purchase premium that i cant currently afford. I have spent a lot of hours building my rep on a person to person basis and would consider it considerable time wasted over the last 3+ years using this site.

That being said i see no issue in putting restrictions on new users that have not proved themselves as of yet.

1. Agree with everything rfioren said. Preventing established traders from scamming is very difficult and awareness of disputes is one of the best ways to combat this. In the end the threat of mail fraud charges should deter an intelligent person from scamming, but history has proven that this isn't enough so I believe Trader Levels and "verified" status would help. It's also just a neat idea for traders to "level up".

2. I think everyone complaining about potential trade restrictions is being dramatic and it's not likely to affect you that much. Yes there is an opportunity cost to not having unlimited trading bandwidth, but if you're worried about it so much you can get "verified" to level 4 to be unlimited. And if you can't get "verified" because you can't use PayPal then don't blame Deckbox. A "no cost" ($0.01 transaction?) option to link your PayPal to your DB account would be great since people seem to think it will cost them a lot ($5 for premium or just buy/sell a cheap card?) to get "verified".

3. Improve visibility: wherever you see a user name and feedback score you could also see icons showing

• if they're on vacation (clicking on this could give a popup showing return date, if specified),

• if they're premium,

• if they're "Verified",

• and if they're currently involved in any disputes (clicking on this could give a popup showing who initiated the dispute and which type it is).

4. Buyer feedback is as valuable as any other feedback: sure, in most cases the feedback will only show that nothing went wrong (same with most trades and purchases), but there is valuable feedback when anything goes wrong, e.g. "Buyer claims cards never arrived while tracking showed it arrived", "Buyer complained about card condition and was unwilling to resolve the issue", "Buyer takes advantage of the pricing system by buying only cards that are price-spiking". This allows sellers to be proactive and block unwanted buyers. This also rewards users for buying on Deckbox.

5. Expanding feedback as TechnicolorMage describes would be great and has been discussed in the past (couldn't find the thread though).

Sidewayzracer wrote:
Amurphcs wrote:
Sidewayzracer wrote:

Buyer feedback is un-needed,  prompt payment doesnt mean anything when everything is paid for before shipping.  It would allow for the feedback system to be gamed to inflate ratings.

So are you saying that someone like me who participates on this site to primarily buy cards and do a few trades is less valuable to the trading community than someone who strictly trades? I dont think it should be an inflated singular rating, but sellers have both a trade and sell rating, why cant others have a buyer/trader rating?

rfioren wrote:

I DEFINITELY think that once a trader has an OPEN issue/complaint to resolve, that they should not be able to initiate new trades,

I'm singling this out as a really really good idea that should probably be independent of all the discussions here.

I think a new system for discouraging scammers is great, but I'm skeptical that a tiered system would accomplish anything. Someone who wants to steal cards could simply do enough low-value trades to climb the ladder, then initiate a bunch of high-value trades, take the cards and run. The barrier would still be too low, and in the meantime you'd prevent new users from using the site for its intended purpose.

Here are a few things that I think would discourage scammers:

- verifying accounts through the use of established addresses, credit cards, however.
- formalizing an escrow system (that'd be a LOT of work though)
- preventing users from having too many trades in progress at once?
- establishing that users with a low or different enough trade record should send first

I disagree with the star-rating idea, the nature of Internet reviews means that most reviews will be either 5-star or 1-star, so it'd be no different from the +1/-1 that already exists.

PhyrexianLibrarian wrote:

This was my intention with the limits, to prevent too much value being traded at once, so as to limit someone who wants to make 20 trades worth 2000$ and run away.

sebi wrote:
PhyrexianLibrarian wrote:

This was my intention with the limits, to prevent too much value being traded at once, so as to limit someone who wants to make 20 trades worth 2000$ and run away.

Would it also limit people doing many low value trades at once ? Like 10 or so 2-15 dollar trades ?

I also see a lot of users complaining a 3.99$ monthly membership is too much, but wanting to trade more than 250$ worth of cards AT THE SAME TIME on deckbox, while also receiving the benefit of administrator moderation, support, and everything else.

rfioren wrote:

I DEFINITELY think that once a trader has an OPEN issue/complaint to resolve, that they should not be able to initiate new trades,

I am generally suspending users as soon as I see problems occur, and they become unresponsive...

It is hard to draw the line of when you want someone blocked. If just opening a dispute blocks someone, users will use that in annoying ways. If it would block both the disputer and the disputee, people would not open them because they would be blocked, and they will open a support ticket instead...

I agree with the idea of course, I was just not sure how to best put it in practice.