Topic: The build-pass-build a deck game...

Just for amusement's sake, I think it would be fun for those of us who actually read/help in the deck discussion forum area to play a little game.  So here's how it goes:

I've started a new deck here:  http://deckbox.org/sets/221643

Each of us will declare one card to add to the deck and how many copies should be added (remember that's only up to 4x - Land will come last).  I will add the requested cards and then it will be on to the next person.  If a period of 24 hours passes with no new ideas, I will begin the cycle again and everyone will get another turn (preferably in the same ordering if possible).  This will continue until we have 50-60 cards, and then we will take turns tweaking it to be able to fit a mana base between 22 and 24 lands.

The idea is to produce a sort of group made deck that might just be built and taken to an FNM for all of our combined glory cool.

I've taken the liberty of making the first move by adding 2x Gutter Grime as I think that would be a cool one to build into something.

Let the games begin!

Re: The build-pass-build a deck game...

Well since that's sitting at 5 mana I'll speak up and throw in x4 Mana Elves (I prefer Llanowar but since rotation is approaching Arbor might be better sad )

I can't get over the synergy between Gutter Grime and Feed the Pack and have been wanting to build a deck around it, so I'm going to suggest 2x Feed the Pack.

Nice!  Oh yeah, I should've said we're aiming for standard.... imsully, do you have a preference between Llanowar or Arbor?  I've added Arbor for the time being.

I think that a lot of decisions can/should be based upon whether we want the deck to work post-rotation or not.  i.e. Can we include M12 and Scars cards, or should we focus on something that we can play for more than a week or two?

I like the idea of making it work post-rotation, personally.  But that is probably because I have a line of decks waiting to try at future FNMs, most of which need to happen before rotation.

I say just regular standard for now, don't worry about rotation.  If the spoilers are any indication, it's going to be a really dramatically altered landscape when RTR hits.

I'd likely suggest something akin to 4xStrangleroot Geist to go with the Gutter Grime and Feed the Pack.

It appears we're on to round two, so everyone will get another pick.

I just added 3x Killing Wave as that could feed Gutter Grime while also clearing out the opponent's creatures.

We can't really go BG with a sacrifice theme without having Blood Artist x4

Check!

Adding a couple of Killing Waves to my wishlist so that I can run this deck whenever we finish it up. big_smile

Quick question: Will we also be developing a sideboard?

It's always nice to pull a Fog when things are getting thick.  4x Fog, anyone?

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

NullParameter wrote:

Quick question: Will we also be developing a sideboard?

We definitely can once we get there.

HikingStick wrote:

4x Fog, anyone?

Done!

If you run arbor elf, why not llanowar elves, or birds?

We may yet make the change... but imsully said Arbor Elf for the moment, so that's what we're running for now.

Why not Both?

Nobody has made that move yet.  He said 4x Arbor Elf.  Note the rules of the game at the top of the post.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Nobody has made that move yet.  He said 4x Arbor Elf.  Note the rules of the game at the top of the post.

AKA Feel free to suggest it if you think it is a good idea wink

BG with Blood Artist and a sacrifice theme...sounds like we need to add Exquisite Blood to double up the life gained...I'd say x2 since it's more of a "just for fun" addition.

NullParameter wrote:
TyWooOneTime wrote:

AKA Feel free to suggest it if you think it is a good idea wink

x4 BoP, since we're adding black (Hoping for a reprint and dual forests) and it will help stop fliers

Some thoughts, the biggest issue I've faced with gutter grime is that it wants you to have a mostly token deck that just lets you benefit from mutual sacrifice, there is a pretty nice mechanic currently for this in Undying (Hint hint)

4x Butcher Ghoul to continue my Undying suggestions.

Remember, you only get counters on the enchantment if a non-token creature dies.

Another issue to bring up with the enchantment... if it gets destroyed/exiled... say goodbye to all your Ooze tokens. Maybe that's better for a sideboard answer of some sort though..?

Last edited by MMJuno (2012-08-30 13:52:23)

MMJuno wrote:

4x Butcher Ghoul to continue my Undying suggestions.

Remember, you only get counters on the enchantment if a non-token creature dies.

Another issue to bring up with the enchantment... if it gets destroyed/exiled... say goodbye to all your Ooze tokens. Maybe that's better for a sideboard answer of some sort though..?

Sorry I actually meant non-token, it was late

MMJuno wrote:

Yep, that is a definite concern, especially against any Naya deck that'll probably be running Acidic Slime and Oblivion Ring.  I'd suggest something that can give +1/+1 counters to all of your creatures, so that you can at least keep the tokens around even if the enchantment goes away.  But, like you said, I think that is probably mostly something for the sideboard.

All the current turns have been input.

So we can add something like Mikaeus, the Unhallowed (when it gets back to my turn) for the undying for all the creatures, but I can see where Gutter Grime getting picked off would be a big problem.  How could we protect it?

TyWooOneTime wrote:

All the current turns have been input.

So we can add something like Mikaeus, the Unhallowed (when it gets back to my turn) for the undying for all the creatures, but I can see where Gutter Grime getting picked off would be a big problem.  How could we protect it?

I think that protecting the Gutter Grime is going to be difficult if we don't expand into white, and I'm not entirely sure that is a great idea to spread things that thin.  But adding white would give us other such options as Faith's Shield to protect it, as well as Gavony Township to pump our creatures to keep them around even if the enchantment gets destroyed, as well as opening up the avenue for more ramp with Avacyn's Pilgrim.

And we do have to remember that undying doesn't work for the token creatures, even with Mikaeus, because the creatures have to go to the graveyard, and the instant that a token goes to a graveyard it ceases to exist.