Topic: Good Luck @ Pre-Release!

Wife and I are going to our first non-casual event at the LGS. We're looking forward to it. Wanted to wish everyone a great pre-release. I'm sure we'll see some good stuff up for trade in the next few days!

Re: Good Luck @ Pre-Release!

Best of luck.  I head off to my Pre-release in 12 hours!

tomorrow (Saturday evening) after work I will be attending mine smile
Fun Fun Fun!

I'm going on sunday, let me know how all of yours go smile

Good luck everyone. Im wondering if G/B will be as strong as people are anticipating???

Going in 2 hours! Best of luck to everyone

Just finished mine, got first with selsyna, went 6-0, populate is the real deal.  I ended up playing junk, got some nice rares, decay and blood crypt.  Also got some nice trades and picked up gb planeswalker, fountain and vents.  Cracked a few more lands from the winnings, this set is gonna be awesome!

Niceguys wrote:

Just finished mine, got first with selsyna, went 6-0, populate is the real deal.  I ended up playing junk, got some nice rares, decay and blood crypt.  Also got some nice trades and picked up gb planeswalker, fountain and vents.  Cracked a few more lands from the winnings, this set is gonna be awesome!

This is what I'm seeing from all over, I think I know where I'm going.

Niceguys wrote:

What were your matchups?

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

I tried out Azorius and it was... terrible. Well, the guild and the Detain mechanic isn't all that bad, but my luck at pre-release events with pulls is, like, unbelievably bad. At the M13 pre-release my rares were Omniscience, Battle of Wits, Boundless Realms, Gilded Lotus and Door to Nothingness. Today wasn't much better as I pulled Deadbridge Goliath, Firemind's Foresight, Righteous Authority and Sphinx of the Chimes x2.

I had a pile of Detain spells, but here's the thing about those... detaining an opponent's creature(s) for one turn isn't very useful if the only guy you have to attack with is 2/1 or 1/3 Flying. My first opponent literally ran me over with Unleash/Haste creatures. After losing two games before anyone else in the room had finished their first, I handed my lands back in to the store and went home. I didn't see the point in going 0-4 over the course of the next 3 hours.

Also, the guy next to me opened a Foil Angel of Serenity, Loxodon Smiter, Foil Steam Vents and Armada Wurm so I was just a tad but bitter about that...

Yeah, I had the same general experience with Azorius.  Nothing was terrible, it all did its job.  But detaining a few creatures for a couple turns just isn't enough.
Of course, I say that knowing that it can work out very well, because the person who won our Pre-release was playing Azorius as well.

I was pretty happy though when I stalled out a game long enough to use Psychic Spiral for the mill kill.

3-1'd my pre-release with forced Rakdos. Lost to Rakdos mirror.

Pulled two Azorious Guildgates, Detention Sphere, two Azorious Guildmages and Archeon but wasn't about to play Azorious. Too slow.

Every match was over in under 10 minutes via Rakdos.

Went with Rakdos and got 3-3, pretty bad night for me overall, best pull was a Supreme Verdict.

4-1-1 with GW and black splash. Got Trostani as my only real money card in the pool. Got 6 packs as my winnings and pulled a Steam Vents and Rakdos's Return from that. So not a bad prerelease. Might go to another on Sunday.

Did three pre-releases since midnight. Played Izzet, Rakdos, and Golgari.  When making the Golgari deck, I had enough quality cards to also make an Izzet deck, too.  Swapping between the two between hands created more than a few surprises.  ;-)

Pulled a Jace and a couple other mythics.  Still need to sort and enter the inventory from the three packs.

Overall, a good day!

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Went 4-1 at the release and played Rakdos. total match count 9-2. I must say blue white control is going to be the nut, however there is a LOT of ramp needed. Really liked the Rakdos flavor!!!! BTW as a side note: No gut shot, no dismember in standard... GAME ON!!!!

I went 0-4 with only two wins running Jund. Pulled a shit ton of populate, but not enough content to produce tokens. Golgari was my guild choice. Scavenging is nice, especially an 11/10 crocodile that for 2B gets lifelink.

Rakdos was the champ at our prerelease, although a Selesnya got second. The guy winning pulled 2 rakdos though, so it was murder (he beat the ever living sh*t out of me)

I just had a bad pool. Then to make up for it I bought two Innistrad packs, to test my luck. . .

Unbreathing Horde and Moorland Haunt -_-

Ran Izzet. Pulled Niv-Mizzet in my guild pack, two mercurial chemisters and a utvara hellkite.  Went 1-3 overall. Only blown out once in round four against Rakdos. Christ Rakdos is so fast. Red is back with a vengeance, mmk.

Rounds 1 and 2 lost to Azorius and Selesnya, but I'm going to say the Mulligan to four during game three of Azorius and being mana choked against Selesnya in round three cost me. I felt like my deck was better.

Azorius was much stronger than I anticipated and blended well with the removal of Izzet. I didn't get a chance to play against a Golgari-centered deck but the scavenge mechanic is nice.

So now Wife and I are going to open the three packs we didn't use (Azorius, Rakdos and Golgari), hopefully we'll get something cool. Lots of Jace's pulled at our shop (at least four that I'm aware of). One guy got three supreme verdicts in his box (one foil).

To top it off, the LGS is going to start sanctioned FNM in November. Finally, a date night the wife and I can agree on!

Went Selesnya and scored some good Golgari to splash (Overgrown Tomb, Corpsejack Menace, Lotleth Troll, Abrupt Decay). Had the promo land with tons of populate which just tore things up, as did Loxodon Smiter in conjunction with the Corpsejack menace and that wonderful instant to add counters twice (awesome surprise blocks).

Ended up 3-1, though the one loss should have been a win. My opponent was SO slow and stalled as much as he could after winning the first game so the second game took forever. We ended up timing out before I could kill him (every turn my guildmage populated the 8/8 vigilance elemental twice, he was running out of chumps when time was up), but it should have been a win if he wasn't a dick.

Sillvva wrote:
Niceguys wrote:

What were your matchups?

Round one, 1-0 vs. junk mirror, beat him on the back of black card that does 2 damage on his 1/4 reach regen guy
Round two, azorious, 2-0, guess 8/8 guys on turn 5 are good
Round three, rakkdos, easily overwelmed him with 3/3 dudes 2-0
Round four against a friend who is always tough, lost game one, came back to win games 2,3, gotta play around overload board sweeper, AZORIOUS
Round five won  1-0 mirror, stabilized at two life and played super tight, beat him with birds
Round six, izzet, I rolled him, again play around blue sweeper
Mvp all day, martials law