Re: Release 2.0: Collection interface changes, MANY trading rules changes

LootPinata wrote:

I can! Compare my profile to teK here:

http://deckbox.org/users/teK

I need no cards from his list, and he needs 15 from mine (that's the sum of the min values between his wants and my haves, which I think is how it is being calculated). But on my profile page, it says he has 1 I want and I have 17 he wants.

This is a bit different than atomicashes' problem. In your case I think the trading opportunities on your profile page is not reporting things right. We won't fix this, we will completely remove it and rewrite it as a separate page.

In atomicashes case it seems he's reporting that the intersection he sees when visiting a users profile is wrong. Which we deployed some fixes for a couple of days ago, so I thought everything is fine.

sebi wrote:
atomicashes wrote:
rfioren wrote:

I posted a separate thread about this issue in the feedback forum. I too am not alway seeing all cards a person has on my wish list when viewing the trading opportunities section.

This is driving me nuts.

It's nearly impossible to set up trades with people when I am unable to see what they have thats on my wishlist. I love the new inventory with all its detail but it seems to be majorly hindering the ability to set up trades effectively.

I thought I fixed this. Can you please give an example of user for which you don't see the Captain in the intersection?

Sebi,
This user is a perfect example.
http://deckbox.org/users/Zooligan

I have a terminus on my wish list but it doesn't show up in the intersection.

Somewhat related to this issue is another suggestion, which I believe I posted elsewhere -- not sure if it's in this thread or another thread.

If a possible trade partner wants a specific version of a card, and I have an unspecified version of that card in my tradelist, I'd like that to appear in the trading opportunities section. As of right now, it doesn't appear. For someone like me with 10K+ unspecified-version cards, trading will be hard without seeing these /potential/ matches. This way, I could see "oh, this person only wants M10 lightning bolts.. let me go see if any of my bolts are from M10", instead of just never seeing the possible overlap. If the versions are different (e.g., all mine are 4th edition and his wishlist is all M10), then it makes sense not to show that overlap in trading opportunities.

HikingStick wrote:

I think, long term, it would be great if the cards were in collapsible rows (or something similar):

Detonate (4)
      +- 5th E. (1)
      +- 4th Ed. (2)
      +- Mirrodin (1)

Those who want the details get them, but those who don't can see the total quantity on a single line.

Agreed, this would be perfect.

Hmmm... Foil prices seem the same as non-foils...

Love the updates that did get put in place, though.

Would like to see the ability to search or sort your decks...either by color, name, format, etc.

Moolet wrote:

I noticed that a lot of the feedback was being posted in this thread, so though I already posted in the other one, I just thought I'd post it here too.

Just throwing my 2 cents in smile

Firstly, I love the update. Especially the fact that prices are now per edition instead of for the global card.

In saying that, though, is there any chance we can get the column which shows how many of a card is in use in our decks? It's how I would sort out discrepancies between my inventory count and tradelist count.

Thanks, again

+1 for seeing # of copies of a card currently in decks

ALSO, this is a bug, I believe: the "A" to denote "autographed" does not show along with the other icons once it has been assigned to a card (like foiled, English, etc.)

Thanks!!

Post's attachments

alur2.png
alur2.png 240.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Volcanic Island, Beta = $0.00 value.

okay, I'm a little bit confused about something else... hmm

I'm in deck view. I click on my inventory count for a particular card and a few minor things come to mind:

- Pop up box blocks the card you've clicked on in the background. Thus, if you have a quantity of said card in inventory and wishlist it's impossible to see what car you are currently viewing. May seem silly, but inputting a couple thousand cards and you can forget real quick
- I'm not certain what the twisty arrows mean. I've figured out that if I have 18 quantity listed for a card and I click on the arrows it will create a new line item and remove 1 quantity from the line item I was just on. So i'd then have 1 and 17. However, maybe I'm missing something because this seems to cause me more issues that in helps.

For instance, if I have 18 Cabal Therapy, for example, and I'd like to parse those 18 into line item groups that each share a distinction (Maybe 9 of my Cabals are identical, but the remainder all have different attributes - condition, set, etc.) then I find myself doing subtraction problems each time I go in and attempt to drill down to my specific cards. I click the arrows once and I have 1 and 17. But actually I want 9, 2, 2, 2, 2, and 1 quantities, all on their own lines. I'm assuming you have to go and just manually chop up all those quantities. Just seems that there should be little + or - buttons to take from or add to the original quantity, or something.

After entering a few thousand cards over the past two days I'm honestly most frustrated by this issue. I have a couple hundred Birds of Paradise cards. Each time I go in and take "4" out of the 200 inventory list to denote that they are a specific set / condition / foil, I have to go in and change my new quantity from 1 to 4 and then subtract those 'extra' 3' from the original quantity (200, already subtracted one with the twisty arrows, so 199, now I have to tab back over and overwrite quantity to 196). Maybe this seems mundane but it adds up!!

Any suggestions would be welcome. And as always, thank you for your site!

EDIT Oh, and you cannot see the third digit if you have more than 99 quantity of a particular card.

Last edited by jfadeX (2013-01-08 07:56:50)

Let me see if I may help with some of these...

jfadeX wrote:

okay, I'm a little bit confused about something else... hmm

I'm in deck view. I click on my inventory count for a particular card and a few minor things come to mind:

- Pop up box blocks the card you've clicked on in the background. Thus, if you have a quantity of said card in inventory and wishlist it's impossible to see what car you are currently viewing. May seem silly, but inputting a couple thousand cards and you can forget real quick

I agree this is an issue.  I ran into this myself as I was working inventory and had to walk away for a moment.  Solutions could be to change the location (itself a pain, if you end up mousing halfway across the screen), or to make sure the card name appears in the pop-up.  Personally, I favor inserting the name in the details popup.

jfadeX wrote:

- I'm not certain what the twisty arrows mean. I've figured out that if I have 18 quantity listed for a card and I click on the arrows it will create a new line item and remove 1 quantity from the line item I was just on. So i'd then have 1 and 17. However, maybe I'm missing something because this seems to cause me more issues that in helps.

For instance, if I have 18 Cabal Therapy, for example, and I'd like to parse those 18 into line item groups that each share a distinction (Maybe 9 of my Cabals are identical, but the remainder all have different attributes - condition, set, etc.) then I find myself doing subtraction problems each time I go in and attempt to drill down to my specific cards. I click the arrows once and I have 1 and 17. But actually I want 9, 2, 2, 2, 2, and 1 quantities, all on their own lines. I'm assuming you have to go and just manually chop up all those quantities. Just seems that there should be little + or - buttons to take from or add to the original quantity, or something.

I follow your logic.  The split arrow button splits your inventory across multiple lines.  If adding details to a set that is already in inventory, it makes some sense: split one off and add details for that one (or quantity), split another off and do the same.  If you work from what you have least of to what you have most of, and you only have one of each distinct row, you just keep going until you are left with the final grouping.  If putting in other quantities, however, you have to adjust both lines (the original and the new one). 

Since that interface is not intended for adding new inventory (though sometimes it is most convenient, as when I was confirming inventory counts last night), I'm not sure if it needs fixing (to split to a zero value) or if it should stay the same.  In the Import Cards interface, you have the option of adjusting details as you enter the cards, but I'll let you decide if that interface works for you.

jfadeX wrote:

After entering a few thousand cards over the past two days I'm honestly most frustrated by this issue. I have a couple hundred Birds of Paradise cards. Each time I go in and take "4" out of the 200 inventory list to denote that they are a specific set / condition / foil, I have to go in and change my new quantity from 1 to 4 and then subtract those 'extra' 3' from the original quantity (200, already subtracted one with the twisty arrows, so 199, now I have to tab back over and overwrite quantity to 196). Maybe this seems mundane but it adds up!!

I don't know when you started adding inventory relative to the update.  As mentioned above, the system is designed to let you add details as you entered the inventory.  If you entered your Birds of Paradise as a generic quantity of 200, your current process is the only way to do it (though changes may be forthcoming--not sure what Sebi has in store for us).  The current system for details is (in many ways) far better than what we had before the 2.0 update (at least, imo).

jfadeX wrote:

Oh, and you cannot see the third digit if you have more than 99 quantity of a particular card.

I believe that's a valid point. I don't know how many people collect more than 99 of a given card, but it should not be too tough to widen the field.  I just have to wonder how many people are affected by the two-digit count, and then wonder if someone else might come along and ask Sebi to allow four digits (thousands).

In any case, I know your honest feedback is appreciated by Sebi and Laura.  They review all this feedback.  [They are on holiday right now, and will be picking up the torch again soon.]

While I understand your frustrations (I've experienced everything you have with my inventory of 10k+ cards), I still find this site to be the best out there for managing my inventory.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

jfadeX wrote:

As much as I want the foil prices to be accurate, I believe this is more an issue with TCGPlayer's API. If you click the link (price) and actually view the cards on their site, they don't distinguish between prices for foil and non-foil. You actually have to scan the list for a foil version which, of course, is a higher price and likely affects the "average" and "high" prices of the card in question. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but a lot of people use TCGPlayer for their pricing and, as far as I know, they're the only ones with an API.

Ravandil wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

I think, long term, it would be great if the cards were in collapsible rows (or something similar):

Detonate (4)
      +- 5th E. (1)
      +- 4th Ed. (2)
      +- Mirrodin (1)

Those who want the details get them, but those who don't can see the total quantity on a single line.

Agreed, this would be perfect.

I would like to toss my two cents in for the collapsible rows. I love being able to see different versions on their own rows, but most of the time I want a total count. Also, as it stands now, only the row showing the total would need to have the deck count in it, because having the deck count for all of that card show up on each row is confusing. Alternatively, maybe we could have the option of specifying which cards are in which decks. I know this would help me out, especially with tracking foils. As an added bonus, it could help improve the accuracy of the "deck value," especially if the issue with foil prices can be resolved.

Once more, I saw another post I'd like to add commentary to. big_smile

rfioren wrote:

I would love to see cards of mismatched versions, or at least of unspecified versions, appear in the trading opportunities window. For example - I haven't specified the version of Ponder that I have. My partner has specified only Lorwyn version. It turns out that I have some from Lorwyn -- I'd at least like to see that we have a possible match. I have over 12K cards on here, and I can't possibly go back and enter the version on all of them, but in many cases possible trading matches aren't showing up.

I'm not sure how I feel about this particular suggestion, but I would love for the opposite to be true. I have a lot of cards in my wishlist with unspecified editions because I just need the card. I don't know if this affects my trading opportunities or not, but I would prefer that it didn't

rfioren wrote:

Lastly -- the default pricing -- I think it makes more sense to leave the default pricing of an unspecified card as the LOWEST priced version, as opposed to the most recent version -- it will provide an incentive for people to specify their versions, since adding the version can only increase your price/value.

I'm pretty sure the most recent version typically is the lowest priced version, since they're usually still being opened in packs. Check the prices on shocklands for a good example of this.

HikingStick wrote:

While I understand your frustrations (I've experienced everything you have with my inventory of 10k+ cards), I still find this site to be the best out there for managing my inventory.

Thanks for the reply. At least I know I wasn't missing some interface options, judging by your reply.
And I agree 100% about the management tool that this site offers compared to others - I love deckbox.org so I hope I did not come across as a detractor.

And yeah, I had previously entered in generic (yet accurate) card counts previous to the update and was just going back through the collection to specificy all the details per card - and doing so in that order is, unfortunately, ponderous - if I were to START entering cards with the new entry method of course it'd be much simpler.

HikingStick wrote:
jfadeX wrote:

Oh, and you cannot see the third digit if you have more than 99 quantity of a particular card.

I believe that's a valid point. I don't know how many people collect more than 99 of a given card, but it should not be too tough to widen the field.  I just have to wonder how many people are affected by the two-digit count, and then wonder if someone else might come along and ask Sebi to allow four digits (thousands).

Indeed, I own an expansive collection and mitigating differences amongst 200+ BoPs can be time-taxing. Perhaps you have a better solution for me, because where this "quantity" visibility issues comes into play the most for me is with basic lands.

1. I entered in over 100 decks that I own a couple years ago, and added all basic lands to inventory while doing so
2. Many of the lands are foiled, signed, etc., and thus would be important to denote
3. After the update I have been going through my physical deck lists in the site, clicking on the INVENTORY count within the deck and modifying the land (and other cards) from the pop up. This is where I can't see my full quantity (i.e., 600 forest) and I have to do squirrely math and arrow keys to correctly ferret out that I just "removed" 12 basic forest and replaced them with 6 unhinged forest and 6 foil forest, for example. It's tedious.

Based on what you said, above, it shouldn't be too difficult to expand the pop up, add a card name header, and expand the entry boxes.

Something else I was wondering - you cannot flag a specific card FOR a specific deck, correct?   If I have two decks with a Darksteel Colossus each, I can't currently flag which deck has the "foil" Colossus in it? Just making sure.

Thanks again!

StubbyG wrote:
jfadeX wrote:

As much as I want the foil prices to be accurate, I believe this is more an issue with TCGPlayer's API. If you click the link (price) and actually view the cards on their site, they don't distinguish between prices for foil and non-foil. You actually have to scan the list for a foil version which, of course, is a higher price and likely affects the "average" and "high" prices of the card in question. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but a lot of people use TCGPlayer for their pricing and, as far as I know, they're the only ones with an API.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...I suppose this makes sense.

What do you think about an inherent, or flat, multiplier added to the base value of a card if it's marked Foil? Go on the low-side and just use Base Value * 110% or something?

jfadeX wrote:

What do you think about an inherent, or flat, multiplier added to the base value of a card if it's marked Foil? Go on the low-side and just use Base Value * 110% or something?

Unfortunately, I think such an equation breaks down on the two ends of the value scale.  Most penny cards are worth between 25 and 50 cents in foil.  On the high end (e.g., some planeswalkers), the foil values are much higher than the standard versions (e.e., Lilian of the Veil at $25 and the foil at $60).

jfadeX wrote:

Based on what you said, above, it shouldn't be too difficult to expand the pop up, add a card name header, and expand the entry boxes.

Something else I was wondering - you cannot flag a specific card FOR a specific deck, correct?   If I have two decks with a Darksteel Colossus each, I can't currently flag which deck has the "foil" Colossus in it? Just making sure.

Thanks again!

I didn't even think about basic land.  I gave up entering them by version when using the previous version.  It's a good point.

That said, the change might seem technically easy to us, but it really will come down to Sebi's time and priorities.  I now agree, however, that space for three digits seems reasonable and probably should be part of the system.

As to your final question, I believe your assessment is correct.  I've only recently started thinking about adding specific versions as I've started making EDH decks.

I'm glad you enjoy the site.  I wish you years of many happy trades!

HikingStick wrote:
jfadeX wrote:

Unfortunately, I think such an equation breaks down on the two ends of the value scale.  Most penny cards are worth between 25 and 50 cents in foil.  On the high end (e.g., some planeswalkers), the foil values are much higher than the standard versions (e.e., Lilian of the Veil at $25 and the foil at $60).

Man, I wish it was that easy.  Some of the old stuff is just crazy, like an MM brainstorm (foil common is $100).  Even in a new set, cloudshift regular is 15c and foil is more like 1.75.  It sucks when I'm doing all these bulk trades, you really do have to check every single one because you never know what will be sneaky-expensive.

Nighthawk wrote:
HikingStick wrote:
jfadeX wrote:

Man, I wish it was that easy.  Some of the old stuff is just crazy, like an MM brainstorm (foil common is $100).  Even in a new set, cloudshift regular is 15c and foil is more like 1.75.  It sucks when I'm doing all these bulk trades, you really do have to check every single one because you never know what will be sneaky-expensive.

Yep.  I was randomly looking up values for some of my cards one time when I found a foil Gush.  I was quite surprised at the results, to say the least.

By the way, I have a foil Gush if anybody is interested in a trade! wink

NullParameter wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

Yep.  I was randomly looking up values for some of my cards one time when I found a foil Gush.  I was quite surprised at the results, to say the least.

By the way, I have a foil Gush if anybody is interested in a trade! wink

1. A flat percentage mark up definitely would not prove very accurate when conducting trades. That much is true. I wonder why the current api does not differentiate between the two.

2. I was the same way, though to a lesser degree, when I was cleaning up some commons and came across a playset of foil giant growths. I probably own 150 giant growths, but the four foil ones add up to be $75-$100. Crazy.

3. I'd be interested in a foil Gush - what are you looking for - just PM me

4. Would it be too far-fetched to allow end-users to assign a custom value for specific iterations of cards? Maybe it could be highlighted orange or something once it's been custom-valued so other people realize it is not a system default.
   Say I have a foil Masticore that has been signed and altered by the artist - I could assign it my own value and it would instantly be trade-recognizable as such.

Last edited by jfadeX (2013-01-09 05:56:16)

jfadeX wrote:

1. A flat percentage mark up definitely would not prove very accurate when conducting trades. That much is true. I wonder why the current api does not differentiate between the two.

I think I should clarify what I meant, as the API does fine bringing TCGPlayer's prices (most of the time) but the fault lies with TCGPlayer itself. The site aggregates prices from many, many online vendors and can give you the low, average, and high prices quite quickly. However, they don't have different price listings for foils and non-foils. This (I think) not only skews the high and likely the average, but makes it really hard to judge the value of a foil without checking another source like StarCityGames (which is really a different pricing system and tends to be a little high anyway).

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like to see specific editions/versions in our decklists!

jfadeX wrote:

4. Would it be too far-fetched to allow end-users to assign a custom value for specific iterations of cards? Maybe it could be highlighted orange or something once it's been custom-valued so other people realize it is not a system default.
   Say I have a foil Masticore that has been signed and altered by the artist - I could assign it my own value and it would instantly be trade-recognizable as such.

I really like that idea.  When Sebi gets back from holiday, he can let us know if that would be even remotely possible.

Deckmaster set is missing from the dropdown choices of sets;

https://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/produ … roductinfo

jfadeX wrote:

Deckmaster set is missing from the dropdown choices of sets;

https://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/produ … roductinfo

Sorry for the multiple posts, but came across these at different times:

Anthologies set is missing from the dropdown (pendelhaven, for example) + Duels of the Planeswalkers is missing (basic lands, as an example)

Also, is it possible to include Summer Magic as a set?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Ed … 28Edgar.29

Last edited by jfadeX (2013-01-16 04:25:41)

Don't know if this is still the place to post this, but... the login popup is nearly completely unusable on most of the Android browsers I've used.  The menu pops up, but when you click in a field to enter your credentials, in zooms in horribly, the popup is off the side of the page, and you can't see any of the submission buttons.  It's pretty bad.

Hi,

The login dialog will be changed a bit to work better with the browser autofill feature and this Android issue that you are mentioning will be fixed too in the next release that shouldn't take much longer smile