Topic: Does anyone think Theros Elspeth will spike in price?

I know the common theory about how planeswalkers drop in value after release, but I get on starcitygames often and watch there playtest videos post rotation. They absolutely love the new Elspeth and say she's the best planeswalker printed in a while. sold out on SCG. I looked on ebay and preordered 4 of them at $73.

What do you guys see happening with this card?

Re: Does anyone think Theros Elspeth will spike in price?

My opinion:

SCG is a business, and they want to sell cards.  If they can get their writers/video people to hype of the new cards, people will put in pre orders.  This is the prime time since none of the new cards are out and in the competitive environment, so we can't see how good or bad a 6 mana planeswalker is going to be.

Either or, the planeswalkers that do spike in price and reach high numbers are the ones that are 4 of's in decks (and usually see modern/legacy play).  I don't forsee a 6 mana planeswalker being a 4 of in any deck. 

Again just my opinion.  Think about Vraska last year, and she's only 5 mana, but she's for a specific deck and sees no eternal play, like this elspeth.

I'm def going to get one, just once she's down to $10.

I do see her being part of every white standard deck though that why I got em of of ebay for a lot cheaper than what SCG. I feel like she is pretty good either way. and I could possibly see her in some modern play as well. no legacy but who knows. I do agree with you though that no deck will play 4 of her in any deck.

TBittenbender wrote:

and I could possibly see her in some modern play as well.

Modern does have 4 mana elspeth.  What deck do you see people wanting to run the new one over Elspeth, Knight Errant?

I have a Boros and an Azorius deck built, waiting for preorder cards (except commons and uncommons, since I got a box too) to be completed. I didn't consider the new Elspeth for a second for either. For six mana I can have Aetherling or Aurelia, who are both likely to finish the game quicker than Elspeth SC. Heck, for just one mana more, I can use Angel of Serenity.

that's a sad way to lose 73 dollars. 6CMC planeswalker, no thank you.

Have you guys playtested with her yet? She's insanely good...

She's incredibly powerful and is going to be a big player in Standard at the very least, not to mention casual appeal. She's the ideal top-end card for control decks. I don't understand how people keep calling her bad.  I can see her being a 2of at the very least in the best control decks to come, possibly 3of.

I'd be fine picking them up at $18 each. Starcity has them at $30, which is way too much, since when packs are cracked she will undoubtedly drop in price from there. The fact that she's unlikely to be a 4of anywhere is what will keep the price lower than instant 4of cards like Voice of Resurgence or JTMS, also that she's in what will be the most opened card pool of Theros.

$10? Don't get your hopes up.

EDIT: For the record, I expect her to settle around the $15-20 range. I'd be shocked to see her settle lower than that and equally shocked if she went above $25.

Last edited by Delandel (2013-09-15 23:47:10)

I would never pre-order Planeswalkers before the set is out. They're almost always overpriced due to their high demand.

Last edited by centurion911 (2013-09-15 23:53:18)

Originally, I was on the side that this Elspeth was just too good. Not necessarily an aggressive/midrange finisher, but something more along the lines of a control finisher.

Then my friend pointed out that Aetherling and Consuming Aberration are better top ends for control.

So, no. Honestly, $10 doesn't sound that far fetched. It might take half a year to get there, but theirs no way she's gonna sit at that comfy $30 for long.

consuming ab in my opinion is horrible

asmodeanreborn wrote:

I have a Boros and an Azorius deck built, waiting for preorder cards (except commons and uncommons, since I got a box too) to be completed. I didn't consider the new Elspeth for a second for either. For six mana I can have Aetherling or Aurelia, who are both likely to finish the game quicker than Elspeth SC. Heck, for just one mana more, I can use Angel of Serenity.

this

Aetherling is a much much much better option for the casting cost and any control deck would really want to run supreme verdicts and sphinx's revelations (blue splash therefore Aetherlings).

It could potentially be a catch-all against esper control, killing both the blood baron and eventually sort of stopping Obzedat... It is probably good against G/R too. But itll be a 2 of or so. Maybe ~15

Last edited by GnomGnomGnom (2013-09-16 03:37:38)

TheWaddleDeeKing wrote:

Originally, I was on the side that this Elspeth was just too good. Not necessarily an aggressive/midrange finisher, but something more along the lines of a control finisher.

Then my friend pointed out that Aetherling and Consuming Aberration are better top ends for control.

So, no. Honestly, $10 doesn't sound that far fetched. It might take half a year to get there, but theirs no way she's gonna sit at that comfy $30 for long.

consuming aberration

>consuming aberration

>consuming aberration

also Aetherling doesn't play the same role as elspeth. she makes tokens that block all day and she wraths almost everything big and scary, multiple times. elspeth is more comparable to assemble the legion.

EDH I love her.. But EDH rarely is enough to inflate a card, and even if it does it is usually an older card from a smaller print run like Damnation.

Last edited by UnstableFlux (2013-09-16 16:16:31)

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

Aetherling is not comparable to Elspeth. Aetherling wins you the game but is very poor at stabilizing. The turn it comes out, it blocks one thing tops. Elspeth drops 3 blockers on the field. Or she wraths. That's a huge difference in terms of stabilizing the board. And then when you've stabilized she can also go ahead and win you the game just like Aetherling could.

But hey, if she's a sleeper hit then all the better for me.

Delandel wrote:

Aetherling is not comparable to Elspeth. Aetherling wins you the game but is very poor at stabilizing. The turn it comes out, it blocks one thing tops. Elspeth drops 3 blockers on the field. Or she wraths. That's a huge difference in terms of stabilizing the board. And then when you've stabilized she can also go ahead and win you the game just like Aetherling could.

On the other hand, Elspeth can be stopped. Aetherling can't.

centurion911 wrote:
Delandel wrote:

On the other hand, Elspeth can be stopped. Aetherling can't.

Think of this realistically. Elspeth comes out on 6, Aetherling comes out on 7 unless you're POSITIVE your opponent has no removal, or even 8 if this is game 1 and your opponent hasn't had any targets yet to spend his removal on. Elspeth immediately drops 3 blockers to stabilize or wraths, Aetherling is 1 blocker to stabilize.  Elspeth can be killed only if the opponent has some form of evasion, and only if that creature has 3 power or less, and if it's exactly 3 then it still takes at least 2 turns. The only thing Aetherling can block with "evasion" that Elspeth's tokens cannot is a fattie with trample + haste together, so.. actually nothing that exists yet.

So killing her with creatures is actually very difficult unless something pops up in the meta that changes that fact. Stormbreath Dragon will sometimes work if it even sees play, but if Elspeth was making tokens and doesn't have a followup wrath in hand then taking 8+ damage with the Aetherling scenerio is about as bad. Hero's Demise and Dreadbore are the only things Aetherling truly has over Elspeth.

So, slightly harder to kill, more expensive creature.. or something much, much better at stabilizing against aggro decks. Not a hard choice for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a comfy leather armchair to recline in and a wooden pipe to thoughtfully chew on.

Delandel wrote:

Think of this realistically. Elspeth comes out on 6, Aetherling comes out on 7 unless you're POSITIVE your opponent has no removal, or even 8 if this is game 1 and your opponent hasn't had any targets yet to spend his removal on. Elspeth immediately drops 3 blockers to stabilize or wraths, Aetherling is 1 blocker to stabilize.  Elspeth can be killed only if the opponent has some form of evasion, and only if that creature has 3 power or less, and if it's exactly 3 then it still takes at least 2 turns. The only thing Aetherling can block with "evasion" that Elspeth's tokens cannot is a fattie with trample + haste together, so.. actually nothing that exists yet.

So killing her with creatures is actually very difficult unless something pops up in the meta that changes that fact. Stormbreath Dragon will sometimes work if it even sees play, but if Elspeth was making tokens and doesn't have a followup wrath in hand then taking 8+ damage with the Aetherling scenerio is about as bad. Hero's Demise and Dreadbore are the only things Aetherling truly has over Elspeth.

So, slightly harder to kill, more expensive creature.. or something much, much better at stabilizing against aggro decks. Not a hard choice for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a comfy leather armchair to recline in and a wooden pipe to thoughtfully chew on.

Once you hit 6/7 mana in a control deck, you better have things stabilized as it is. At that point, you want something that can protect itself. Aetherling protects itself. Elspeth does not. Fliers, direct damage, and tramplers will all take her out (and you probably meant Hero's Downfall rather than Demise wink  )