Re: v4.0: Deckbox Premium: Features Galore!

sebi wrote:
100000520842029 wrote:

Actually it just points out which feature Deckbox is lacking.

Communication.

I have (next to my username) 2,237 posts on this forum. I do not play magic, or trade, so all of those are support requests and feature conversations, and helping users out, during the last 6 years. I am not sure what more I can do.

Sebi seriously? We both can do the math. That's one post a day. ON YOUR FREAKING OWN SITE.

Read my post again and you get a hint what I ment.

I also have many more thousands of email threads in my email, and thousands of emails sent to users here, be it for support or to solve trade disputes. I try my best to answer everything, although sometimes there just is not enough time.

I'll take whatever feedback you give, and try to learn something from it, but if you tell me this site lacks "communication".... that I have no answer for....

100000520842029 wrote:

Sebi seriously? We both can do the math. That's one post a day. ON YOUR FREAKING OWN SITE.

And you think 1 post a day for 6 years shows lack of communication?

For free by the way.... to help you guys use this website.

That's why you publish a Paywall without talking to the guys who use your service?

Seriously, read my post and you will understand that I didn't ment your communication in 'service' but ment your external communication.

100000520842029 wrote:

Seriously, read my post and you will understand that I didn't ment your communication in 'service' but ment your external communication.

I do not understand what you mean. sad

PhyrexianLibrarian, thank you for understanding, and for the positive feedback smile

sebi wrote:

I said it initially, but it seems people did not notice, so it perhaps bears repeating: nothing that was free yesterday is now for money.

But it is. Private and password protected decks are now premium only option. I don't care if I'm exempt from this due to having an account prior to December 2014. You moved a free feature behind a paywall.

Don't get the wrong idea that we're against a premium model. Many sites successfully use it but the features offered have to justify the price.

sebi wrote:
100000520842029 wrote:

If I can paraphrase, what I believe he meant is that there is always many ways to solve a problem, but not all of those ways may work for the users.  Since you, yourself, are only one user of the site, and probably not the best example of an average user, it may be difficult for you to surmise what the best option is for the community at large.  Being open about the problem, that you aren't making enough money to support the site and its development, and raising up the concern alongside a series of possible solutions, or even asking for ideas for solutions, would give people both more control over how they would be willing to support the site and a greater sense of community as they help to preserve it.

Nahezu jede große [kostenfreie] Community hat in diesem oder im vergangenen Jahr mehrfach Probleme mit dem Kosten bekommen. Was war ihre Lösung?

Sie haben nicht länger geplante und angekündigte Features hinter eine Paywall versteckt oder einen Premiumaccount für fast den Preis eines priv. Drafts angeboten.
Das Problem wurde analysiert, Auswege aufgezeichnet und der Community mitgeteilt. Was folgte daraus? Ein reger austausch wie die Seite am Leben gehalten, zukünftige Arbeit finanziert und jeder glücklich gemacht werden kann.

Was tust du?

Du siehst das Problem, schweigst darüber 6 Monate stillschweigen, um von Heute auf Morgen uns deine Lösung vorzuzeigen. Und wenn du selbst ehrlich bist, die meisten Funktionen davon sind wirklich nicht viel Arbeit.
Öffne dich der Community, zeig den Weg wies weitergeht wenn wir dahin dahin oder dahingehen.

Die angesprochenen Seiten benutzen heutzutage folgendes:

- Donations
- Flattr
- 'Premium' ala, keine Werbung mehr 2-3€/monat  - (3€ die monatliche Variante..)
- Die Bitte Adblock auszumachen

Und allein das hat bei denen gereicht um die Server am Laufen zu halten und ne Gruppe von mehr als 10 Leuten tagtäglich Arbeit zu verschaffen.

------------------------------------------
Rough translation, if anyone is interested feel free to translate it for me:

Nearly each [for free] community had those problems this or past year with their costs. What was there so0lution?

They did not long planned and promised features lock behind a paywall or offered a premiumaccount for the money of a private draft.
They analysed the problem, showed solutions and involved their community to it. What was the result? Their was a lot of discussion on how to be able to keep the site online, gather the money to pay for future features and get everyone happy.

What are you doing?

You see the problem, do not say a word for 6 months and show us your solution from one day to the other. If you are honest to yourself, you'll see alot of those feature will not require thousand of $$$ to implement them.

Open to the Community, show your problems and maybe some solution - and we will work out one with you.

Sites I talked about in the first place solved this issues by:

- Getting Donations
- Using Flattr
- Sell Premium (no adverts) for about 2-3€ a month (being 3€ the monthly sub)
- Just a polite request to turn of adblock

Only this did it to pay the costs for hardware and more than 10 guys going to work each day.

Personal endcomment:

You do not have anymore money left. You do not know how many guys will buy premiummembership.

But than you will promise an iOS and androidapp for this site? Although you are promising an open API for years? Ah come on. This is work and money you could have saved easily. Only this point  shows, that you are not only interested in getting enough to go on with this project.

Last edited by 100000520842029 (2014-12-15 16:51:29)

Hi Sebi!
First, a big thanks to you and your team for all your hard work, this website rocks!

I am a filthy casual, so while I appreciate the premium features, at your price points I don't feel like they are  really aimed at me. Like others I had sticker shock at the prices. Just to give you some data/feedback from a casual's perspective I could see myself paying for those features at about $20 per year.

The idea of a Mobile Application is cool, but I was wondering if you had any plans to create a responsive, mobile-friendly website/css? I generally never use custom apps for websites and prefer to use my device's native web browsers to interact with websites.

I have asked about this removed feature before https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php … 130#p94130, but I am curious if you have any plans to allow us to view a user's profile and compare our inventory with their wishlist? Perhaps a future premium feature? I loved being able to do that as a way to quickly see cards from my inventory that I would normally not be willing to trade, and hence do not have them marked as such, but might consider trading for a high priority card I want.

Thanks!

Cheers, Paul

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

sebi wrote:
100000520842029 wrote:

My interpretation of the issue is that it seems like it would have been useful to have some sort of conversation on this stuff beforehand, to help generate ideas and feedback on how a premium service should be implemented. I don't see how springing it on users is a good thing, even if you think such a discussion would generate zero useful ideas for you (which would be surprising..)

I have to agree with whoever mentioned a Kickstarter or some other sort of crowdfunding. Promise a bunch of features on a timetable and raise donations to implement them. You probably would've gotten a lot of good-will contributions.

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-12-15 16:54:19)

I would suggest you create a user survey to find out which features users would be willing to pay for to prioritize what you add.  Right now you are just getting random ideas flung at you through your fora with no organization...which is fine for a free service, but when you want to monetize features you will benefit from a bit of market research.

A neat idea would be to allow users to place a donation with their survey response to "weight" their priorities.  This gives you a bit of an idea about who is will to actually put money on the table and what features would bring them on board.

Another possibility is what mtgprice.com did when they launched.  At launch, the premium/pro features were fairly weak and buggy; but they raised 10k by offering a limited number of lifetime subscriptions at around $200 a piece.  Lifetime subscribers would always receive the highest level of service.  The smart thing they did was not the money-raising feature of this promotion in and of itself...but rather it identified a population for them that was willing to spend money on their services; and they could get valuable information from this population.  Lifetime subscribers were aggressively surveyed in initial months to get insight into the development cycle that people were most interested in spending money on.

I for one would be willing to pay 200-300 for a lifetime deckbox premium membership trusting that the features will come; I'm sure you have a population of several others who would be as well.  As weird as it seems, that is much more attractive to some than $120 for 2 years with no guarantee of price changes or additional service levels.

Last edited by bactgudz (2014-12-15 17:11:06)

9700377 wrote:

If you actually read the post you're alluding to, the accusation is that Deckbox purposely reduced the matches per page in order to offer a high number of matches as a premium service. It would make the site look sketchy if true.

I don't think framing the concerns as whiny entitled children vs. business-savvy adults is particularly productive.

I wasn't trying to frame it that way, I was literally saying that the majority of MTG players are high school and college/university students, or recent grads, and a very small minority are working professionals who have been in the working world enough to understand the situation sebi is in. Being expected to work for free, or having your work disparaged because you had the gall to charge for it, can be very psychologically damaging.

I work for a news agency that has experimented with an actual paywall since last year, and we've decided to go back to a free model that focused more on ad revenue. But we didn't make that initial paywall decision because we were trying to hurt the community or be greedy; we were made it because we were trying to find a new way of making profit digitally in the 2010s, which is really hard to do. Once we decided it was not profitable to maintain, we cut it because that's what businesses do. The amount of income generated by making previously-free features cost money is usually dwarfed by the loss of income caused by alienating your clients.

When Deckbox launched the Marketplace, they had the same situation; they saw a way to generate revenue that didn't depend on page views. And our community's immediate reaction was to complain and try to find ways to sell cards without having to pay sebi and the team. That attitude of "everything I want should be free because I pay you in good feelings" is not sustainable for anyone who wants to grow their business.

(For everyone suggesting crowdfunding, I think you're overestimating what those are capable of. Look at how many people are complaining about simply being given a choice to pay more for extra features or not; imagine how they'd react if they were asked to just give money with no guarantee of anything)

kavselj wrote:
sebi wrote:

I said it initially, but it seems people did not notice, so it perhaps bears repeating: nothing that was free yesterday is now for money.

But it is. Private and password protected decks are now premium only option. I don't care if I'm exempt from this due to having an account prior to December 2014. You moved a free feature behind a paywall.

Don't get the wrong idea that we're against a premium model. Many sites successfully use it but the features offered have to justify the price.

I tested the privacy functionality for decks, IT IS STILL FREE!!! Don't confuse decks with inventory folks!

http://pwp.wizards.com/8213665292/Scorecards/Landscape.png

PhyrexianLibrarian wrote:

(For everyone suggesting crowdfunding, I think you're overestimating what those are capable of. Look at how many people are complaining about simply being given a choice to pay more for extra features or not; imagine how they'd react if they were asked to just give money with no guarantee of anything)

That's simple math.

If the community wants X and its cost is Y, Y have to be raised.
It's either us or sebi who does it in his free time.

With skipping sebi due to his financial status (which you shouldn't misunderstood - noone wants him to starve) there is us left. And there are literally hundreds of options to get that needed money.
Premiummembership is one of the worst ways to do so - which you encountered as well.

I understand everything that was written above.
I would like to take the time to thanks SEBI for all the hard work.

I strongly believe that making a survey about what people would like to pay for the premium services would be appropriate.
Also, personnally, I don't need a premium service. However, I would gladly make a donation to deckbox if a "donate" button existed....

Good luck for the futur!

If we have to pay to use the "Built Deck vs. Deck Idea" Indicators, can we have an option to not use them altogether? Being stuck with lightbulbs next to every deck looks crappy.

Apart from that, I see nothing wrong with offering a premium service. I do think the price is a little steep for what you're getting, but as long as this website is still as usable and helpful as it is without having to pay for most of it, I see no reason to complain.

Selling anything and everything on any of my lists

So as from what I could read, there are a few valid arguments about the new version of Deckbox.

For premium services:
-Potential increase in the number of features that will be implemented in the future
-Reduced waiting time to get support for premium users (see negative comment)
-Access to a few new features
-Mobile App

Agains't premium services:
-No user input for the $$ (surprise buttsex)
-Supporting free users will no longer be a priority
-Lots of those features do not seem like they needed to be paid for in order to get them (ex: password protection for decks, built deck, scratchpad...)
-Too expensive

I personally find that the previous version of Deckbox was exactly what I needed for my MTG card collection management.
I will continue to use it for its forums and the deck containers, but I will not pay such a high price for such a low return on investment. I just don't see a point in investing money into this. I understand there are costs, but there are other ways around them.

9700377 wrote:

If you actually read the post you're alluding to, the accusation is that Deckbox purposely reduced the matches per page in order to offer a high number of matches as a premium service. It would make the site look sketchy if true.

I don't think framing the concerns as whiny entitled children vs. business-savvy adults is particularly productive.

I wasn't trying to frame it that way, I was literally saying that the majority of MTG players are high school and college/university students, or recent grads, and a very small minority are working professionals who have been in the working world enough to understand the situation sebi is in.

Deckbox users are not a random sample of MTG players; I imagine most of us are young professionals. Furthermore, the quote you posted was not criticizing Sebi for merely trying to monetize the site. While I admit that this whiny attitude sometimes exists (look at a lot of the complaints about the MSRP of MM2015 being $10..), it is not dominating the nature of the criticism occurring in this thread.

When Deckbox launched the Marketplace, they had the same situation; they saw a way to generate revenue that didn't depend on page views. And our community's immediate reaction was to complain and try to find ways to sell cards without having to pay sebi and the team. That attitude of "everything I want should be free because I pay you in good feelings" is not sustainable for anyone who wants to grow their business.

I don't recall the marketplace getting a huge amount of pushback, because it was clearly implementing a new (and unexpected) feature and monetizing it in a way that other sites have monetized transactions. If you look at the market announcement thread there's almost zero negative feedback from what I can tell. This really is different.

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-12-15 17:35:40)

^^ Re: Marketplace, there wasn't a lot of negative discussion like here, but there were a LOT of "well I guess I'll just sell my cards somewhere else now thanks for nothing" responses.

As for the paywall vs. premium, I'd say the opposite is true. What we did (that didn't work) is take away the content and features that used to be free. That's what I find most people mean when they talk about a "paywall", and I don't think that ever really works. Premium membership is a far better way of raising funds, as you offer a product or service that people are willing to pay for.

The discussion of "which features should be premium" is important and worth having, but no one is having that discussion here. All I'm seeing is a lot of "good luck getting MY money!" talk, which is unproductive at best, and even worse when you consider the disposable income necessary to play MTG as a hobby at all.

Last edited by PhyrexianLibrarian (2014-12-15 17:36:50)

^^ Re: Marketplace, there wasn't a lot of negative discussion like here, but there were a LOT of "well I guess I'll just sell my cards somewhere else now thanks for nothing" responses.

As for the paywall vs. premium, I'd say the opposite is true. What we did (that didn't work) is take away the content and features that used to be free. That's what I find most people mean when they talk about a "paywall", and I don't think that ever really works. Premium membership is a far better way of raising funds, as you offer a product or service that people are willing to pay for.

The discussion of "which features should be premium" is important and worth having, but no one is having that discussion here. All I'm seeing is a lot of "good luck getting MY money!" talk, which is unproductive at best, and even worse when you consider the disposable income necessary to play MTG as a hobby at all.

That's the point where I want to go a step backwards:

It should be a question of is premium the only one and correct way to go?

sebi wrote:

Sorry to be so anal but thats not entirely true. New users don't get private decks and private inventory features on free account. So those features were moved behind the paywall.
My personal opinion is that those should remain free for everyone.
Also - the marker for built decks - the lightbulb is visible for all decks on free accounts, does not add any functionality that is limited by not having premium account and serves no purpose other than to annoy people.

Please think about what kind of image of a website those things convey to a new visitor.

100000520842029 wrote:

It's certainly not the only option, and without knowing the full history of the site I can't say whether or not it's the correct one. I do know it has worked for other MTG-related sites like MTGPrice, Star City, PucaTrade, and so on. So I totally understand why it would be worth trying.

Kickstarter and other one-time donation schemes are good for infusions of cash, for things like initial print runs or individual features, but they aren't meant to be a recurring source of income.

100000520842029 wrote:

It's certainly not the only option, and without knowing the full history of the site I can't say whether or not it's the correct one. I do know it has worked for other MTG-related sites like MTGPrice, Star City, PucaTrade, and so on. So I totally understand why it would be worth trying.

Kickstarter and other one-time donation schemes are good for infusions of cash, for things like initial print runs or individual features, but they aren't meant to be a recurring source of income.

One of the most used sites does use donations.

Its wikipedia.