Topic: v4.0: Deckbox Premium: Features Galore!

Version 4.0

We are very excited to announce today version 4.0 of the website, packed with new features to the brim.

A staple in the Magic the Gathering community for over 6 years, Deckbox is growing up, and we want to make sure the users and community get the attention and support they deserve.

The core features of Deckbox - collection management, deckbuilding & trading were, are, and always will
be free. But we know many of you would like more features, faster website performace, snappy email support answers, and cool advanced features.

Today we are committing to doing just that, by dedicating more development time & support time to your needs, with the new Premium Accounts.

Premium Accounts - https://deckbox.org/premium

Check out the feature listings on the Premium Page, for more details on what's in the package and a sneak peek at what we're working on for the near future. We think you'll like it!

There's a free 7 day trial as well, check it out and let us know what you think.

Thank you for your support. We are looking forward to another great 6 years of Deckbox!

Re: v4.0: Deckbox Premium: Features Galore!

A couple months ago you limited the amount of line items per page, when questioned you sited 'forever loading times' to be at fault and accused me of being overly sarcastic in an attempt to figure out the reason for the change.

Now you are going to expand the line item per page, but only for people that purchase premium accounts? 

Noooooooooooope.

This is where I cut ties with deckbox.  This latest 'update' could not make it any clearer what this page was and is designed to do.

Many things changed since a couple of months ago.... sad

Sorry you do not like our website, I sincerely hope you find something that will satisfy you more.

Many of these features are exactly what we've been looking for on this site for ages, some of which, I believe, that I have requested myself.  I've thought several times about implementing my own solution simply because I really wanted some of these things.  Exciting that they're finally getting implemented!  At least until you see the price.  I understand the need/want to drive profits and the ability to develop more features moving forward, but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed that I'll likely never use them.

Deckbox has been great to me; I visit several times/day and have made hundreds of trades.  But, now that I know many of the features that have been promised to being worked on, and possibly any future requests that I make, are being put behind a pay wall, I'm not sure how long that will continue.

Thanks for the work on the site.  I've signed up for 3 months with the intent to extend longer once we're past the holidays.  This is the best collection/trading site out there and I want to support your work.

NullParameter wrote:

Deckbox has been great to me; I visit several times/day and have made hundreds of trades.  But, now that I know many of the features that have been promised to being worked on, and possibly any future requests that I make, are being put behind a pay wall, I'm not sure how long that will continue.

I have edited out my original reply, it was perhaps too emotional.

Why do you feel you have to give up a site you love just because there are features behind a paywall? You can keep using the free part of deckbox like you have until now. Nothing has been removed.

Some features are behind a paywall because the significant development and work that is needed for them is simply not doable unless there are paid employees to invest time in them...

Last edited by sebi (2014-12-15 14:09:52)

NullParameter wrote:

Many of these features are exactly what we've been looking for on this site for ages, some of which, I believe, that I have requested myself.
Deckbox has been great to me. But, now that I know many of the features that have been promised to being worked on, and possibly any future requests that I make, are being put behind a pay wall, I'm not sure how long that will continue.

I wish you could see this as an opportunity, rather than a good bye. Sebi and Deckbox have been so open to its users for so long, so many things that the power users have suggested have been taken into consideration and some implemented or put on the list for later. This is definitely not something you can receive from many services out there. I think instead of having this first reaction of running away we should all see that this is a great moment for us and we can now start building a great tool together. Because if Sebi can support his development efforts and if you, all the users, continue making suggestions, this can become a tool that is modelled exactly by your needs.

psrex, thank you for your kind words and for you supports, it's definitely appreciated :-)

'significant work'?

So let's step through this:

- Priority Support - Yeah, as a guy myself working in support about 2 years - that could be a full amount of work.
- No advertisments - well, that's a self-evident point.
- emergency collection backup recovery - Well what? Who the hell needs that? Maybe comes in handy for about 1 in 1000 Users?

- Collection Edition checklist View - Nop, not a lot of work.
- Auto Trade - Nop, not a lot of work.
- More cards listed per page - That's a matter of your hardware, so to be honest. This is a question of $$$ not of time.
- Private or Password protected inventory - oh come on, don't try to fool us.

- Built decks - eh,what?
- Public and Private notes for each card - Well again, that's a matter of hardware and not of time.
- The Scratchpad - Really? A Second Sideboard? Now you have to be kidding
- private or password protected inventory - yeah, just the same like inventory.

- Mobile Application - that's actually a huge point - Firstly, we are pissing off the guys, who wanted to build an App for Deckbox and waited for your API to be released or already done it, and freaking build an HTML Parser on their own. Secondly - yeah, this is a lot of work and do cost some money. Average App costs are between 10k-50k$

- Collection Tagging & Card Scan Attachments...ah well. Sorry, I am out.

Okay, I need to say this: Without these suggestions deckbox wouldn't be what it is now. YOU wouldn't what you are now - neither would be this paywall. And 5$ a month? Seriously?

Last edited by 100000520842029 (2014-12-15 14:20:43)

I think we are all sorry for the financial issues you have occurred. I too love this site and would gladly support it through the marketplace. However i have some issues with it and have posted in the forum about twice over the last few months without getting a geeboy howdy in return. I also feel that some of the features are not something i would pay for, especially not at $7 a month. consider adding functionality like pucatrade where people can buy points and ship cards to one another for points instead of having to work out a trade. i would love to do that here so i dont have to maintain 2 accounts on different websites.

good luck to you sir. I plan on being around to support you!

While I don't disagree with the need to put a paywall up for content in order to support you and the growth of the website; I think the sticker shock of the initial pay structure is going to discourage a lot of the community from subscribing to it.

My opinion would have been to have started at a lower cost per month; and once you're off the ground and running, slowly increase the rate if necessary.  Also, maybe this should have been rolled out after the holidays?

Finally, my only suggestion would be to not focus all efforts on further improvements for premium users only.  With each new release of premium content, you should also release something small for the free side as well.  This will increase morality among the free user base and let them know their needs are still important to you; and it will encourage more of the free side to switch to premium.   

Thanks for everything you do Sebi.

I totally understand, and am grateful for all of the work that I know you've put in.  At least for me, it's just a function of the fact that Magic is a very waxing and waning hobby that I already have a hard time justifying throwing money into, which is why I tend to do it in small amounts through trading.  It's difficult to then also dump another chunk of money that is roughly equal to the amount that I spend on trades/month, essentially doubling my costs.

Trust me, I'm a programmer; I get it.  I've hosted sites, and shut them down (though usually due to inactivity for various reasons). Heck, I even offered to help out ages ago but, at the time, you said that there wasn't a great way to share code and such.  I just look at the list of features that are being implemented, like the apps, and feel a little bit said because, while great additions, most of us are getting on fine without them.  So, I hope that additions like that aren't the driving force for requiring so much more development time and money.

Like I said, I totally understand and don't fault you, I'm just disappointed.

And in response to to your now edited post, the only reason that I wouldn't stick around is exactly what I stated already, that I've been waiting in hopes for several features and been procrastinating on implementing my own personal inventory system for ages that I'd both (hopefully) get enjoyment from creating and get to use for free.  I'd still be here for trading because there isn't a better site for it, but it is hard to not think about the other parts of the site as essentially non-changing because I'll have to assume that most other new features of importance will likely be premium ones, so any new ideas I come up with to advance the site are basically dead in the water, at least to myself.

I really like and enjoy the features of deckbox and I have always looked forward to support deckbox with a small amount of money.
I would buy a premium account, but the price is a little high in my opionion. My target of paying was a maximum of 1-2 Euro per month.

Last edited by daktr (2014-12-15 14:29:13)

7€ per month is way too much in terms of what we'd be getting for our money.

in my opinion a this pay service is unnecessary.

if you want me to pay for premium, you have to offer something for it. here i just get repaired features that were broken, or features that we have had access to in the past. longer lists? locking my inventory? what exactly are you offering me for my money?

when you say something like the paying customer will receive better support, what that means practically is that the paying customer receives the same support and everyone else gets worse. its not like you are planning on hiring a call center to answer tech support problems.

if too much functionality ends up being on the pay side you run the risk of driving away new users. i would have never signed up if i had to pay, and am still pretty skeptical of the whole thing despite being a regular user of your product. without new users the pool of potential people to trade with just wont be there.

i hope that you guys can iron out a pay service that i can get excited about, but this isnt it.

check out my cube, do a draft, give me feedback

http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/4914

I don't begrudge the Deckbox team for using some sort of premium membership to try to raise revenue, but I agree that premium as is has a few issues. Right now most of the features don't seem very important, and there is a legit fear going forward that useful site upgrades will now be locked behind a paywall. For example, the #1 feature I would like to see from the site is an ability to manage a separate "for sale" list apart from my tradelist, and I've been to understand that this would become possible at some point when the tagging system gets implemented... but now, who knows? I don't know if any guidelines can be issued regarding what future features will be or won't be premium-only, but if there are I feel like it would help for that clarification to be given.

Another problem with the current featurelist is that I'm not sure exactly who it's aimed at. Presumably you have to use the site fairly-often to be willing to pay $5-7/month. So the features this service should provide should be things that don't feel like they should be basic functionality but also are highly-valuable to heavy users. Like, Pucatrade offers analytics to its gold users that aren't available otherwise - the same thing (tracking trade/sale volume for given cards and only giving that info to paying users) could be done here, I'd imagine, although it'd require more work.

I hope that some of you will take the intention of Sebi's words to heart.  He is putting in his time and resources to make Deckbox for everyone, and he would like to keep doing so.  Any public site has costs, and Sebi and others would like to make Deckbox better than it is now.  The marketplace section and now premium accounts are a way to help pay for the work that has gone into the site.  If you want to help out, then you can buy cards via the marketplace or sign up for a premium account.   This is a great site and it needs some way to support the servers, ISP costs and staff to run it.

If you look at other sites, they also have premium versions.  Pucatrade won't let you trade for foils and holds off on offering many useful features unless you pay.  Star City Games offers lots of great Magic articles, but many of the pro-written articles aren't available unless you pay for the content.  I'm sure that Sebi would love to have all of the feature available for free, and if the marketplace had taken off in a big way, I'm sure that premium accounts would be different from how they are presented now.   Probably the premium accounts would have more features such as the promised tagging, or maybe premium would not be needed at all.

Maybe there is a different way to support Deckbox that would rely on periodic donations to support it, much like a public radio pledge drive.  For now, just recognize that there is a need to support Deckbox in some way if you find it useful.  If you don't want to support it via a premium account, then buy some cards in the marketplace.  Maybe there could be a 'Donate' button so that people could contribue $5 or $10 if the premium accounts are too much money.

Thanks for NOT telling us, devs, about your official mobile apps plans, keeping us in the dark, not delivering on API's for the site (promised close to 2 YEARS AGO!) and making us just waste time.

A sweet, sweet move, you guys...

http://ajfek.pl/mlc-banner.gif
^^ Help me spread the good news! big_smile

I for one, think this is a great plan to get you a piece of some of the value that deckbox is adding to my life.  It's just not quite there yet in terms of pricing for me.  Once you have some of these features premium:
-mobile apps
-the ability to have inventory segmentation (multiple inventories or a field for custom "locations" of individual cards)
-notes on individual cards in inventory
-scans uploaded of individual cards
-linking individual cards or editions to decks
-Report generation for insurance claims
-MTG content (premium articles/videos)
I'd be willing to pay the price, but for now I don't think the value is there for me at the current price level.

Good luck Sebi!

Last edited by bactgudz (2014-12-15 15:41:46)

psrex, have you never heard people complain about SCG's premium fees? You should've seen the outcry when they increased the prices a few years ago.

I think it's pretty sad that the community expects sebi & the rest of the team to literally work for free and pay for all the hosting and maintenance costs for the site out of their own pockets. I've never seen a group so entitled and demanding, while at the same time so unwilling to pay even the smallest amount for their demands. I know that this probably comes from the community mostly being younger, suburban, upper-middle class kids who may not understand how insulting and depressing it is to be expected to work for free, but it still stuns me every time.

Imagine if you spent months of your own time and hundreds of your own dollars building a product, gave it away for free to the community, and watched them thank you and congratulate you and talk about how awesome your product was. Then the second you said "Hey, since you all like this so much, do you think you can help pay me back for all the money I spent making it?", the community responds with a giant "fuck youuuuuu!" Would you ever produce anything for them again? Because guess what, that's exactly what happened when they launched the marketplace, and it's exactly what is happening now.

If not enough people sign up for the premium memberships, they'll either modify the benefits until they do, or find another way to generate the income they need to justify putting any more work into the site.

PhyrexianLibrarian:

Sorry, but if you're gonna offer a premium subscription then it has to be worth it, especially since it's valued at 7€ per month. Sure, 7€ doesn't seem like much, 3 beers.

But like 100000520842029 pointed out, most of these "premium" features are hardly worth it. Making private & password protected decks a premium feature is just moving a feature behind a paywall.

If that were the case then we would be having a conversation about "here are features the site doesn't have that I would be willing to pay for", not "well I guess it's time to cut ties with Deckbox entirely."

PhyrexianLibrarian wrote:

If that were the case then we would be having a conversation about "here are features the site doesn't have that I would be willing to pay for", not "well I guess it's time to cut ties with Deckbox entirely."

If you actually read the post you're alluding to, the accusation is that Deckbox purposely reduced the matches per page in order to offer a high number of matches as a premium service. It would make the site look sketchy if true.

I don't think framing the concerns as whiny entitled children vs. business-savvy adults is particularly productive.

Actually it just points out which feature Deckbox is lacking.

Communication.

I seriously don't know if AdBlock is a thing all around the world, by my favorite Sites of all the time - which has ALOT more effort put in as well as more than 20 guys going to work every goddamn day there. They calculated their income and saw a lack in it. So what did they do?

Right, they do not publish a Paywall the next day - They asked the community what they SHALL do and featured several ways to accomplish more money.

It's not our choice that sebi left his work and it wasn't even our choice that he decided to make money out of his hobby (hack, most of us spends thousands of dollars to enjoy our hobby).
I do understand that servers, work he just cannot do alone, [...] costs money until he find some way to get it done for free (But that would mean to share code of a product which should be free...but not totally?!) but at this point he/they just talk with us about the problem.

And seriously - not acception donations on a 'free' product serves just one point: To be able to go into the free market one day - Nothing else.

Edit:

Hack, even a kickstarterproject would do it:

"Here guys, these are your suggestions of the last quarter. For Feature No1 I am gonna need about 10k $ to do it. Pledge it or I will not be able to do it".

And yes, with prices dropping and dropping for virtual servers it is totally possibile to get enough income for deckbox by getting contributes.

Last edited by 100000520842029 (2014-12-15 16:25:27)

9700377 wrote:

If you actually read the post you're alluding to, the accusation is that Deckbox purposely reduced the matches per page in order to offer a high number of matches as a premium service.

We did not do anything like that. The matches we reduced were on profile intersections which this updates does not touch at all. I also increased them back after them being reduced, at the request of the user who is now still complaining.

The thing we provide now a custom option for is cards listed per page of inventories / tradelists / wishlists, and has nothing to do with the intersection thing.

I said it initially, but it seems people did not notice, so it perhaps bears repeating: nothing that was free yesterday is now for money.

100000520842029 wrote:

Actually it just points out which feature Deckbox is lacking.

Communication.

I have (next to my username) 2,237 posts on this forum. I do not play magic, or trade, for many years now, so all of those are support requests and feature conversations, and helping users out, during the last 6 years. I am not sure what more I can do.

Last edited by sebi (2014-12-15 16:24:11)