Re: v4.0: Deckbox Premium: Features Galore!

I don't understand all of the complaining.  The free services sebi's given us for so long (which haven't changed for any of us) are fantastic, which is why we've all been using the site for so long.

Don't want to pay for the new stuff?  Don't.

Have some gratitude for everything we're gotten so far and keep getting for free and don't hate on sebi because he's trying to get paid for his time without actually impacting any of us.

I had previously paid $30 for MTGStudio and dropped it for this site because it was easier to use.  I'd happily have paid $30 for this site as-is without any of the updates.  Like others though, I'd be ok with paying for it, but not at the asking prices.  =o(

PhyrexianLibrarian wrote:

Kickstarter and other one-time donation schemes are good for infusions of cash, for things like initial print runs or individual features, but they aren't meant to be a recurring source of income.

This is a bit myopic, they are also very good at getting an initial paid customer base for third party partnership purposes, identifying paying early adopters of your service and being able to gather data about those who are willing to pay for your service.  They give you information on how best to monetize your service. 

When somebody buys the $x,000 tier of a kickstarter they typically meet and/or communicate with the developers...this is not just for the edification of the "donator" but rather a recognition that the developer values the input of someone who values their service to that level.

fistyke wrote:
kavselj wrote:
sebi wrote:

I said it initially, but it seems people did not notice, so it perhaps bears repeating: nothing that was free yesterday is now for money.

But it is. Private and password protected decks are now premium only option. I don't care if I'm exempt from this due to having an account prior to December 2014. You moved a free feature behind a paywall.

Don't get the wrong idea that we're against a premium model. Many sites successfully use it but the features offered have to justify the price.

I tested the privacy functionality for decks, IT IS STILL FREE!!! Don't confuse decks with inventory folks!

And you haven't bothered reading the ! sign next to them which states that feature is free to use for all users who had a Deckbox account prior to December 2014.

Last edited by kavselj (2014-12-15 18:25:47)

100000520842029 wrote:

One of the most used sites does use donations.
Its wikipedia.

http://deckbox.org/users
Found 77647 results.

http://www.techspot.com/news/42607-wiki … -2015.html
"The site serves between 400 and 500 million unique users per month and has 18 million articles between all supported languages. As of December, the site had some 80,000 "active editors" -- those who make five or more edits a month."

Wikipedia has a slightly larger user base.

freshluggage wrote:
100000520842029 wrote:

One of the most used sites does use donations.
Its wikipedia.

http://deckbox.org/users
Found 77647 results.

http://www.techspot.com/news/42607-wiki … -2015.html
"The site serves between 400 and 500 million unique users per month and has 18 million articles between all supported languages. As of December, the site had some 80,000 "active editors" -- those who make five or more edits a month."

So whats your point?

Wikipedia has as well a higher amount of staff and cost for their servers, hell even electricity will cost them a shitload.

I am not saying donations WILL work. I am saying they COULD work.

If you ask for my opinion - do all options simulationously

Last edited by 100000520842029 (2014-12-15 18:39:20)

I understand the need to monetize the site, but I thought that was what the marketplace was supposed to do.  I've been buying and selling cards on here, and I paid the deposit for the option to sell.

I've seen the ads return (when surfing on my ipad - I have adblock on all my other devices) and I didn't say anything about that.  But why are you now trying to push users to pay you more?  And why is it so expensive? $6.99 a month? really?  The ability to add some notes to cards is not worth that.  Also there are other sites for private deck lists for free if someone really needs that feature.  There's nothing advertised on the premium page that justifies that price tag to me.   

Also since I saw it on the page, I feel the need to say that I don't think I'd want auto-trade either.  That sounds like a mess.   It almost makes sense on Pucatrade where you would get credits for cards, but cards for cards?  Nope.  That's why I sell cards, that's auto trade to me.  - Cards auto trade into money, then I use money to buy cards I want.  Deckbox takes a cut (possibly both ways depending on if I can find the card on here or not).  To put some perspective on this,  I've canceled 17 trades in the past week alone due to not being things I was prioritizing/just didn't want to trade x for y even though values were similar.  Unless you mean you're calling the auto match feature auto trade and making it only available to people who pay, that would be really sad.

I'm disappointed by this change.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-12-15 18:56:26)

gumgodMTG wrote:

Also since I saw it on the page, I feel the need to say that I don't think I'd want auto-trade either.  That sounds like a mess.   It almost makes sense on Pucatrade where you would get credits for cards, but cards for cards?  Nope.  That's why I sell cards, that's auto trade to me.  - Cards auto trade into money, then I use money to buy cards I want.  Deckbox takes a cut (possibly both ways depending on if I can find the card on here or not).  Unless you mean you're calling the auto match feature auto trade and making it only available to people who pay, that would be really sad.

The auto trade is apparently something about automatically adding cards to your trade list, not... automatically trading your cards.

But yeah, the more I personally think about it the more I think a Kickstarter would've been the right way to do this: Outline a lot of premium features you want to add and crowdfund their development. People can buy into these features through the crowdfunding (they don't need to be available initially), and those that don't can subscribe normally. It'd raise immediate revenue and also give people an idea of what they should expect to see in the future. Like, I think it'd be interesting to have a discussion on well-targeted premium features: Stuff like access to special analytics, access to special tagging features (when tagging is implemented), hosted space to add card pictures, etc.

That perhaps touches on what's most-frustrating about this: That Sebi is accessible and appears to listen and there's lots of users sympathetic with the basic needs to monetize the site, but instead of making even a rough development timetable and trying to encourage donations he kinda just goes into the tank and rolls out new features in a way that's difficult to understand. The marketplace worked fine but I'm pretty sure this approach to adding premium features is suboptimal. It's an odd problem to have, but I think he needs to be more-willing to let his community help him out.

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-12-15 18:52:57)

9700377 wrote:

The auto trade is apparently something about automatically adding cards to your trade list, not... automatically trading your cards.

I'm still not interested.  I think this is something you should survey users on.  The way I build decks and use the site may be different than the way others use it.  But to me this feature would add nothing.

I feel that a move like this alienates users as even though features were not specifically removed from free users, free users will now feel like they are lower priority.  This is creating a caste system of users if you will, and makes it seem like the updates that have been promised for so long (like notes on cards) will not actually be given to them (free users) since they are no longer the priority.   I understand Deckbox wanting to make some money, but $7 a month is too much.

more edits:
I know I am always vocal about the changes, but usually I'm very positive about it.  I don't particularly like this change in focus for the site.  I do wish you'd bring back flags mattering on the 'interesting cards for trade' stream.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-12-15 19:25:36)

Just want to give my thanks and respect to the deckbox-team.

I really don't get all the frustration about the Premiun Accouts, and certianly not the whole paywall-thing. The basic site, with all the same features, is still free. I myself am not going to pay for the Premiun, but that won't stop me from using deckbox. It's really an amazing site to trade and organize. Thanks for that!

100000520842029 wrote:
freshluggage wrote:

So whats your point?
Wikipedia has as well a higher amount of staff and cost for their servers, hell even electricity will cost them a shitload.
I am not saying donations WILL work. I am saying they COULD work.

Wasn't making a point necessarily, just an observation.

But if you'd like me to make a point it would be that Wikipedia is probably a poor comparison as scale should be a factor when suggesting a revenue model. If Deckbox got 10% of its users to go Premium (at $7 per month), they'd bring in $650k per year. If Wikipedia did the same, they'd bring in $3.36 billion (assuming 400 million users). Completely guessing here, but $650k would probably do a good job of covering most of Deckbox's yearly operating costs while $3.36 billion would cover Wikipedia's operating costs plus allow them to maybe cure cancer or something.

Additionally, Wikipedia provides a very different service than Deckbox (the same can be said of the Star City Games subscription which was listed for comparison elsewhere).

That's not to say, however, that donations couldn't be helpful or work for Deckbox. Unfortunately, I recall many people suggesting/offering to donate to Deckbox prior to the addition of the Marketplace feature when there were discussions about how this site could sustain itself and , to the best of my knowledge, every offer was declined.

Personally I think the site should focus on recruiting more sellers.  I often check deckbox for a card before checking TCG player, but many times TCG player will have the card, or will have it substantially cheaper (usually due to shipping charges). I find this odd as deckbox typically has lower fees than TCG player, and the money is transferred instantly to PayPal as opposed to the approximate 1 week wait on TCG, also it's so much easier to manage your inventory on deckbox as an individual user than it is on TCG player as an individual seller.  I do understand that there are premium services that will sync your inventory with TCG player for you, if Deckbox could add (or advertise if it already exists) compatibility with these same services (think http://www.crystalcommerce.com) I think they could get a lot more sellers on here.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-12-15 19:46:21)

First off, I do think Sebi deserves a lot of thanks and appreciation for a pretty damn good site, and a free site at that. 

That being said I find a simple workaround for the near future would be:
1) The addition of a "Donate" button
2) Perhaps a premium rate similar to Humble Bundle, where users can pay whatever amount they like (for x number of games), but must spend at least the average that users are spending to get the bigger name titles.

I find the rates for the premium memberships to be incredibly steep, especially for the services offered.  I personally would never spend more than $25 for a year of being a premium member, and that is assuming that there is a reason to do so.  I think at the moment that this "premium" patch/update looks like a stopgap solution to financial issues that maybe wasn't thought out completely.  But like I said I think the addition of a "Donate" button would work wonders, especially as all of this is being sorted out. Also, I think a good idea for a premium membership would be some sort of trading insurance where you could be backed for up to $X amount or something like that.  I feel as if that could be a good starting off point rather than the current premium services.

As a side note, I like my decks being automatically organized by Cost.  I honestly don't know what other user would disagree here, I mean I would strongly appreciate a setting option for that as well.

I work at a pretty excellent job, love the site, would love to see it continue, but the price point is currently pretty steep.  I don't mind dropping $20/year for sites that have Premium Features I barely use because I realize part of that trade-off is also helping keep that loved site alive.

For future consideration, Premium features I would use would be:
* 'owner' card view: For a given deck, show what cards I have that I could use to assemble it.  The current display has me need to figure out for each and every card which version of that card that I have.  It'd be sweetness to show which cards I should pull from inventory.
* 'Add unowned cards from this deck to wishlist' - or even potentially assemble a buy order from current deckbox vendors!
* 'promo' view: List available promo/foils for a given deck.  For a very few decks I enjoy blinging them out: if deckbox wants to point out those bling points that more potentially has me trading for or buying those cards.  Plus it feels like a premium-ish feature.

I'd buy in for $20/yr regardless.  Thanks for the hard work! <3

It seems to me that much of the objection to this is that it's unclear as to what the primary motivation is.  If the site simply isn't making enough money and needs to become monetized, that's one thing, but if you're trying to say that these new premium features are legitimately worth $7/month, that seems unreasonable.

Personally, I do not see these new features as being worth nearly that much.  That said, if deckbox truly needed money to get back, I'd probably consider making a donation or paying a small regular fee to use the site.  I do, however, object to this "in-between" approach, where rather than ask for donations or develop true premium features, lackluster features (relative the cost) are developed and hidden behind a high monthly fee.

Also, rolling out premium before an app is completed seems like poor timing.

I do appreciate all the work that goes into deckbox-it is a great tool.  I hope that in the future, major changes are applied more tactfully; moving away from TCG prices and the premium release do not seem like they were introduced in the right manner and have likely alienated some users.

mboyarsky wrote:

moving away from TCG prices and the premium release do not seem like they were introduced in the right manner and have likely alienated some users.

Moving away from TCG prices was forced by the introduction of the marketplace... the site lost its API access.

Personally I think the site should focus on recruiting more sellers.

Maybe, but I'm actually not sure if this is the case. I've only made like one sale on Deckbox in the past month, which I think indicates that the market has become a lot more competitive. That said, yeah, there are probably opportunities for some huge sellers to move in and really blow people like me out.. those people would also probably be willing to pay for premium pricing tools and analytics.

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-12-15 20:17:57)

Yes, I understand why they did it, but the shift could have gone much smoother.  All of a sudden, many prices were simply gone or were wildly different than they were the day before.  And it was a long time until most of the prices were fixed.

Once again, I'm less commenting on the changes themselves and more about the manner in which they were introduced.

Collection Edition Checklist View

Ah, damn. The main thing I've been waiting for and it's paid. That was a smart move but Deckbox, as I'm sure it'll be a strong motivator that will push some over to the paid side. The pricing for the premium is a bit high for my tastes (for a $1 more I get a monthly subscription to Hulu Plus or Netflix), and for this sort of non-essential tool, I'm more in the $1-2/mo camp.

Sebi: Thanks for keeping the remaining features free. I've seen some good organization tools out there, but this is the only one that's online and free to use (other than now the premium side). One shouldn't be expected to work for free in life, so I appreciate your (and your team's) generosity in offering so many hours of your life for free for a community that includes many ingrates who don't value your time, and only want to get, get, get due to a sense of entitlement.

I've been using the site for a while now.  I post on the forums and read many more posts.  I'm what you would call a spike player. I play to win and use the site with that mindset. I look for value on trades when i can, try to trade up.

My .02 about the new features listed...

• priority support - What does this even mean? if there's a bug it's probably affecting everyone and you need to fix it anyway right?  Can you clarify what this means?  Do you mean better support for trading issues?  Are you offering a TCG player like guarantee for people that don't receive their orders?

• no advertisments - seems okay, but the adds weren't really a bother anyway, unless they start becoming nsfw, if they did. I'd have to leave the site for sure.

• emergency collection backup recovery - umm... i guess this is okay... the site really isn't structured in a way that these types of accidents should happen often. Unless you get more requests than we know about.

• Built decks - the only built decks that matter are the ones on my shelf at home. Anything on the internet is impermanent by it's very nature. I don't know that this is a valuable feature. You can only ever use 4 of a given card in a deck and you can only play one deck at a time and i just use proxies in the deck i'm not playing atm.  I don't know many players that keep multiple copies of cards, especially high dollar ones.

• Public and Private notes for each card - what kind of notes?  like small text messages? what does this feature mean?

• The Scratchpad section - largely useless imo.

• Private or password protected decks - this could be somewhat relevant, but if it became relevant for me, i'd just remove my decks from deckbox.  There are lots of places that offer deck building/saving that are private. You could be hurting yourself on this one.

• Mobile Application (iOS & Android) - This is the thing i might actually pay for. a one time $5 charge for a robust version of deckbox on my phone. the site works fine on mobile, but it's a little cumbersome. It's not really touch intuitive.  More development time should spent here.

• Collection Tagging & Card Scan Attachments - i don't even know what this is.

Other things I might actually pay for.

• Better price comparisons - ebay. amazon, etc... It's a lot better than it was, but i still have to check TCG and SCG to make sure. I'm not sure what kind of deal you could work with TCG to get their prices into a premium feature, but it's still the go to source for pricing.

• Market analysis tools - price histories, matrix cross sectioning of cards played in recent tournaments and counts of those cards in top decks.

• Tournament reports - lists of cards played in top tournaments and who has those cards for trade.

• Meta Data - Lists of cards that are most traded on deck box, and reports on overall trade histories. Does deckbox trading habits mimic real world purchasing habits?

• better deck building analysis tools - the current analysis tool doesn't take into consideration dual lands in decks or hybrid mana symbols etc (at least that's the way it looks).

• Built in tournament matching tools - especially in a mobile app. I want to draft a box with my friends etc... it'd be nice if deckbox has a built in swiss match maker.

• Player performance tracking -  Allow import/export of player match histories and allow that player to edit those matches with extra meta date like (type of deck played), specific # of games won so players can get a sense of how they do from game to game and what they're tough matches are. I've read some pros say they might enjoy a feature like this and have been having to track it themselves.

Last edited by elpablo (2014-12-15 20:48:58)

Thank you for the feedback guys.

I will close this thread as it seems most discussions are about politics and not actually about the features themselves. It seems some of the people participating in the thread did not even try our free trial to take a look at the features but seem to have very strong opinions nonetheless.

Feel free to open threads discussing specific features of the premium plan, how you like them and what you think can be better, in the Site Feedback forum.

Thank you very much to the people that decided to support us. I will post updates with features under development, as always.

Haha, turns out I posted that exactly after ElPablo wrote a very big post on the topic at hand, isn't that some weird coincidence smile

Will post reply to your questions now, reopened this.

Not trying to beat the horse, but I was going to edit my original post before Sebi closed the topic to also ask. the following

https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php … 13#p103013

BTW thanks for reading my post either way.

I don't know that the offered features are competitive with other "freemium" trading sites IE: puca trade, a lot of the paywall features they have are already included in deckbox free and I can't see using their model without driving people away so....

Sebi said he's working on a response to my inquiries.  I'm genuinely confused about the nature of some of the premium features and would like to hear from Sebi/DBteam about why they feel those features are valuable.

Without hearing back from them so take this with a grain a salt. First blush feels a little bit like... "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..." which would make premium members basically investors in the site and helping fund future projects.  To that end, if there was a guarantee that if I signed up now and there was some sort of "points system" (borrowing from puca trade again) that i could use to get cards/merchandise/something physically valuable later down the road other than promises of continued development then, i might be able to buy in.

tldr: how would I convince my wife "investing" in deckbox is a good idea? tongue

elpablo wrote:

priority support - What does this even mean? if there's a bug it's probably affecting everyone and you need to fix it anyway right?  Can you clarify what this means?  Do you mean better support for trading issues?  Are you offering a TCG player like guarantee for people that don't receive their orders?

It means if you have a problem and write me an email or post on the forums, I guarantee to read it and answer it as fast as I can. It basically means I reserve some time for you to solve the issues.

emergency collection backup recovery - umm... i guess this is okay... the site really isn't structured in a way that these types of accidents should happen often. Unless you get more requests than we know about.

People accidentally delete their inventories, or mess things up importing or exporting. We have more tools now that allow mass import by edition, which can cause issues.

It also might happen that there are bugs which cause you to lose card information unless you personally made a backup. If you are premium, I will take time to help you recover your data.

Sorry the features provided by the premium plan do not seem to satisfy you, I hope other users (which have been asking for many of these for years) will find them useful.

I did post on the thread there.

To clarify, there is no "deckbox team", it is just me smile

elpablo wrote:

puca trade, a lot of the paywall features they have are already included in deckbox free

They are, but it seems that is my mistake. Puca trade have a healthy business I presume, and employees, developers and support staff. I do not even have an income for myself, and feedback seems to be that people are pissed off even when they are daily using those free features...

sebi,

thanks for a great site. I initially registered as a seller not ever really planning on selling anything, but mostly as a way to give something back. Now I get to try Premium for quite some time.

In my book, that is a very fair deal.

-Frank