Topic: Cheap shipping???????

Currently im sending delivery confirmation first class and its costing me 4.90.... Is there a cheaper way to go. The Pay pal links offered here on the site do NOT work (unless Im a Jack@$$). Thank guys! Appreciate any positive suggestions

Re: Cheap shipping???????

$4.90? Are you including the bubble mailer in that cost or sending a metric crapton of stuff at once?  Shipping a first class package with Delivery Confirmation only costs me $2.85.

I haven't used the PayPal links myself, so I can't vouch for them.

EDIT: I do go to the Post Office for the $2.85 1st class package+DC.

Last edited by AntDog (2012-08-28 14:55:07)

My Tradelist          My Wishlist
Work hard, play harder, rest easy.

I use a stamps.com account, so my postage differs, but I know you can do a bubble mailer via first class with delivery confirmation for around $3.00 at the post office.

Using Paypal or eBay's system for payment is not even remotely cost effective.

Dakkon4444 wrote:

Currently im sending delivery confirmation first class and its costing me 4.90.... Is there a cheaper way to go. The Pay pal links offered here on the site do NOT work (unless Im a Jack@$$). Thank guys! Appreciate any positive suggestions

Id like to know they same thing myself. Its the same for me if I send with DC. Im not even using a bubble mailer either, I just use a manila envelopes and the cheapest option it gives me on USPS.com is with the US flat rate envelope at 4.90...

I use Paypal multi-order shipping option and send as media mail. Comes to 2.66 with a bubble mailer and confirmation is included.

Arioch wrote:

I use Paypal multi-order shipping option and send as media mail. Comes to 2.66 with a bubble mailer and confirmation is included.

I use the Paypal shipping as well, but I choose First Class Mail and Package/Thick Envelope (2-3oz generally covers the weight and they both cost the same amount), and it only costs me $1.65 total, with delivery confirmation.  And yes, that includes using a bubble mailer and everything else to keep the cards safe, like a few top loaders..

Last edited by NullParameter (2012-08-28 15:00:04)

So your actually shipping through Paypal not USPS.com?

If you go to the post office, it shouldn't cost more than $2.85 for first class with delivery confirmation unless you have over 40 cards and a bunch of cardboard in there. Considering you can send almost 550 cards with tracking for just over $6, $4.90 sounds insane to me!

I've literally not had an issue sending in an envelope and top loader with a 65 cent stamp. But yes, the bubble mailer and DC should be about $2.85.

Im going to have to try shipping through paypal now that I figured it out. I dont know if its bc Im shipping from NY but its the only option it ever gives me on USPS.com and I can never make it to the Post Office bc Im at work they are only open til 4. Ive been paying the 4.90 for DC just sending 5 cards. (granted it was $150 worth in the 5 cards) but still...

Insane is right. Im shipping in a regular envelope and they tell me its 4.90....

Im going to keep researching the paypal option, however i think you have to have a transaction do do so. We will continue to research. Now is anyone using certified mail as a confirmation option (something Ive found while researching).

I dont usually use a bubble mailer, but I package it in the envelope in a secure fashion (including not taping the tops of thehard cases because the adhesive gets on the cards and the cards collect more dirt and damage the top).

Thanks for the feedback all!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of padded envelope are you sending out? I think I remember that the post office will charge you differently depending on the size and shape of the envelope. I've shipped three times now with small (less than 7" each side) padded envelopes, first class, with delivery confirmation, and the most it's cost me to date has been $3.10. These have been packages from NJ to MN, CA, and WA. I also go directly to my local post office vs. PayPal or other means.

HTH

I bought a pack of 30 Manila envelopes at Office Depot that are the same size (look the same atleast) as bubble mailers. They just dont have the bubble wrap in them. I use these for trades I send with DC  and havent had any issue aside from them costing an arm and a leg.

EDIT: Thanks to the OP for bringing this up. It was always something that erked me so Im glad I wasnt the only one smile

Last edited by Helios52 (2012-08-28 17:16:51)

Wow.  I can't get over how inconsistent the USPS is with regards to shipping costs.  I live in central Texas and to get 1st class mail with DC only costs me $2.80.  I use a basic 000 mailer with my normal top loader configuration.  I ALWAYS use the kyosk machine.

Parcel and letter run at different rates. If you have one of those automatic machines, just mess with your options and see the prices.

NullParameter wrote:
Arioch wrote:

I use the Paypal shipping as well, but I choose First Class Mail and Package/Thick Envelope (2-3oz generally covers the weight and they both cost the same amount), and it only costs me $1.65 total, with delivery confirmation.  And yes, that includes using a bubble mailer and everything else to keep the cards safe, like a few top loaders..

I've posted some of the links to PayPal's postage page.  In one thread, a link doesn't work when I copy it because it takes the period at the end of the line along with the URL. Once I saw that, and deleted the trailing period, it worked fine again.

Through PayPal, I, too, am paying $1.65 for up to 3 oz. going first class (parcel), with free delivery confirmation.  That's normally $2.85 at the post offices at which I've stopped. I can mail five bubble mailers using PayPal's postage feature for roughly the cost of sending three through the USPS.

I print the postage on standard copy paper and tape the label portion onto 4"x7" bubble mailers.  Every one has gone through with no problems.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:

Through PayPal, I, too, am paying $1.65 for up to 3 oz. going first class (parcel), with free delivery confirmation.  That's normally $2.85 at the post offices at which I've stopped. I can mail five bubble mailers using PayPal's postage feature for roughly the cost of sending three through the USPS.

I print the postage on standard copy paper and tape the label portion onto 4"x7" bubble mailers.  Every one has gone through with no problems.

Same here. Only $1.65 and works like a charm. Print the label at home and drop it in the mail.

Dumb question: do you have to have something unique configured in PayPal to use the shipping features? I looked last week and couldn't find anything. Mind you, I closed my eBay account last year and decoupled it from PayPal. Being able to print labels and drop packages off in a mailbox w/o having to visit a physical post office, not to mention the savings, would be awesome.

brightmatrix wrote:

Dumb question: do you have to have something unique configured in PayPal to use the shipping features? I looked last week and couldn't find anything. Mind you, I closed my eBay account last year and decoupled it from PayPal. Being able to print labels and drop packages off in a mailbox w/o having to visit a physical post office, not to mention the savings, would be awesome.

You need to be able to log in to PayPal.  My account has the "premier" flag (just looked now--never saw it before), but I've never purchased any upgrade.  I believe it is a free upgrade they offer to anyone who has financial information verified/on file.

Can anyone with a Personal or Student account with PayPal access the shipping site (http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now)?

Last edited by HikingStick (2012-08-28 20:12:37)

Yea I just used that link and logged on my Personal Paypal and was able to create a shipping label (alot cheaper!) than USPS.com would let me.

That link you sent was perfect, HikingStick. I was able to see the shipping options with a personal PayPal account. It's not obvious anywhere when you log in how to get to that section; perhaps I'm missing something.

I've inquired about why it costs so much before. The problem is, you can't get DC on a normal envelope unless you pay a lot more.  So it is usually around 5.00 for me to get DC on a normal envelope.  If you send in a bubble mailer they can consider it a "package" and then the DC fee isn't nearly as high (like 60 cents or so) but you have to pay more for the shipping.  They decide on if its a package or not by the thinkness, sometimes you'll see them pull out a little piece of plastic and put your bubble mailer through.  So try and make it as think as possible if you don't want any problems with the real sticklers at the post office (use newspaper and stuff like that).

tl;dr use normal envelopes for non DC trades, use bubble mailers when you want DC

Dakkon4444 wrote:

Now is anyone using certified mail as a confirmation option (something Ive found while researching).

I avoid certified mail because it requires a signature for delivery, and I figure many folks may not be home when the postal carrier drops by.

ShoePolice wrote:

Same here. Only $1.65 and works like a charm. Print the label at home and drop it in the mail.

If dropping it off at a post office other than the one where you live, be sure to input the Origination ZIP Code(TM) of the post office where you are dropping them off.  I spoke to some of the staff at the post office where I mail most packages, and they indicated that the point of origin is assumed to be your return address unless you specify the Origination ZIP Code(TM), and that local post office volumes (and funding) are based (at least, in part) on how many packages originate through them.

If you don't specify the ZIP code of the P.O. where you are actually sending, it looks like all the packages are being sent from your home P.O., making their volume look bigger than it is.

BTW - the configuration I use lets me ship up to 24 cards and still be under 3 oz.:

• 4x7" bubble mailer

• Thin piece of cardboard (e.g., back of a blister pack for headphones) to keep the flat stiff (for those sticklers at the post office)

• Two top loaders (not the uber-flat ones, but not the super thick ones, either)

• One sheet of notebook paper (wraps the top loaders/card "sandwich" so they don't get gummy with tape, or get loose)

• One small piece of tape (keeps the paper wrap shut/tight)

• 24 MTG cards (sleeved, mostly in penny sleeves)

• PayPal printed shipping label

• Packing tape on all four sides of the shipping label

Last edited by HikingStick (2012-08-28 21:02:32)