Topic: Foil matching in Trading Opportunities

I have changed the behaviour of matching cards with regards to the foil flag in trading opportunities, and in the "Matching Cards" section displayed when visiting a users profile.

It is now strict, meaning if I have a Mountain in my wishlist with no Foil set, and userB has one in his tradelist, with foil set, it will not match us.

I think this matches the way that most users use the website, and was requested quite a few times. I am still thinking if this should also be applied to all the other flags (artist proof, signed, altered, misprint). The downside would be that it will be harder for people to find you are trading away a card they want that is signed, unless they specifically indicate in their wishlist that they want a signed version....

What do you guys think?

Re: Foil matching in Trading Opportunities

sebi wrote:

I have changed the behaviour of matching cards with regards to the foil flag in trading opportunities, and in the "Matching Cards" section displayed when visiting a users profile.

It is now strict, meaning if I have a Mountain in my wishlist with no Foil set, and userB has one in his tradelist, with foil set, it will not match us.

I think this matches the way that most users use the website, and was requested quite a few times. I am still thinking if this should also be applied to all the other flags (artist proof, signed, altered, misprint). The downside would be that it will be harder for people to find you are trading away a card they want that is signed, unless they specifically indicate in their wishlist that they want a signed version....

What do you guys think?

Thanks Sebi, I know for one I have been asking for this a long long time. My thoughts are that if they are ok with a signed version, they can turn strict matching off to find it.

wonderdog79 wrote:

Thanks Sebi, I know for one I have been asking for this a long long time. My thoughts are that if they are ok with a signed version, they can turn strict matching off to find it.

Agreed, will change this today too then.

If this is now a strict match, and there's no way to indicate for the "Trading Opportunities" page that you want to see "non-strict matches", I think that will skew the results quite a bit. For most of my wants, I'd be okay with a foiled version, so I just left the "is foiled" option unset. But now all those foiled matches will not show up at all in the "Trading Opportunities" page. Yes, for an individual trader I could switch to "relaxed matching" on their profile page, but now there's no way for me to know to go to their page to look for it.

I think that in the same way that there's a "no set specified" option for cards in your wishlist, the "foil" option needs to be three way: "don't care", "yes", and "no", to accurately represent what the user wants.

Otherwise, the only way I see to represent the fact that I want "either a foiled or unfoiled version" is to add the card to my wishlist twice, once with foil set and once without, and then know to go modify my wishlist when I get either of them, so I don't end up with more than I wanted.

Sweet update, let me just throw this out there though. Some people don't set foil for their prerelease promos. So if I put a prerelease promo in my wishlist, I'm only going to see results from others's tradelists that have foil set the same as mine. In this case, maybe some cards that are only available in foil should default to foil in all instances. Perhaps the same could be done with cards that have no foil version at all.

sebi wrote:

What do you guys think?

I always wondered why it wasn't the case in the first place. Even though I never requested this, I think it makes super sense to have it.
If people need specific version they can add multiple wishlist entries with different flags IMO.

thanks

How does this work for cards that have only been printed in foil?

This change is inconvenient for me but that's because I'm usually open to taking foils on cards that I have non-foils listed. Now I'll have to go and add foils to all of these entries on my wishlist, which I imagine I'll gradually do over months... I wish there was a way to indicate that you're open to either version.

bptrumpet's question is a good one though. Like, a lot of people don't bother flagging foil-only cards (eg. masterpieces) as foil. Does this mean I won't be matched to them if I have foil masterpieces on my wishlist? Will I have to list both foil and non-foil copies of foil-only cards to ensure maximum visibility? Seems silly.

As a foil collector, the one flaw I see with foil wishlist items on this site is when people incorrectly upload promo printings and cards like the commanders in commander sets that don’t come In any style except foil. Example-someone will upload Kaalia, the Vast from commanders arsenal but will not mark it as foil.  Even though that card is always foil, people who need it will not match. 

I come across this issue very often with promo cards. Is it possible to make foil the default for these types of cards?

It sounds like foil should be automatically checked for cards that only come in foil. That would solve many of the issues. Sebi, is this possible?

Sometimes I don't care which version of a card I get and sometimes I do. I haven't found a convenient way to accomplish this. If I have to add all versions of a card to my wishlist to find them all then I have to remember to remove them once I complete a trade. And what if a new version gets printed? I would have to create a new wishlist item. Perhaps I'm unaware of the new version (I don't keep up on new sets).

A solution for me would be the ability to decide, on a card-by-card basis, when edition/foil/condition matters & when it doesn't. I wonder if others would find that feature useful?