Topic: Performance for edit/add cards, flags (foil etc) settable as defaults

Quite a sizeable update today, that addresses various performance problems with the various input widgets (adding cards one by one to collection, editing card details inline via the details panel, adding both to decks and inventory etc). Everything should be cleaner and snappier now, for the very bad cases it should be up to 10 times faster (e.g. editing the details of a Plains card when you have 100 separate printings in your collection).

There's more work to be done, but this is a first step in the right direction.

Secondly, you can now set Foil/Signed etc as defaults when adding things to Inventories / Wishlists. Also available for Mass Input (adding 1 of each card of an edition for example), in the editions pages for premium accounts.

There are many cleanups and changes behind the scenes here that might be causing some new bugs in the UI, so please let me know if you see any issues - pages not properly updating, dialogs not showing correct things while importing cards / editing details, etc etc.

Re: Performance for edit/add cards, flags (foil etc) settable as defaults

I am unable to add selected cards from inventory to a deck via the drop-down menu. This includes decks created prior and after the update.

ZixisDragonfire wrote:

I am unable to add selected cards from inventory to a deck via the drop-down menu. This includes decks created prior and after the update.

I think I found & fixed this bug now.

Thanks for all the updates!! Will you be adding the new Secret Lairs for Women's Day and Thalia soon?

Noble Hierarch

When I edit via the inventory screen I usually have it sorted by "modified date" so that when I save I see the card most recently edited at the top so I can verify my edit was taken/correct.  With this new update it appears that all printings of a card's modified date are being adjusted as opposed to just the printing that I edited.  For example, in the past if I had three prints/versions of a card and then I modified the count on one of the three prints, only the print with the modified count would show at the top of the list.  Now when I press save I'm seeing all three show at the top whether or not the count was updated.  Hopefully that makes sense!

Joe

I'll add more feedback as I have it..

1) Definitely not a fan of not being able to directly see my inventory/wantlist on a card by visiting its individual page. Now I have to click extra buttons just to show the exact editions of a card I have? What problem is this solving?

2) Not sure why I can see "Edit" buttons on someone else's tradelist. Thankfully I can't actually edit them...

9700377 wrote:

I'll add more feedback as I have it..

1) Definitely not a fan of not being able to directly see my inventory/wantlist on a card by visiting its individual page. Now I have to click extra buttons just to show the exact editions of a card I have? What problem is this solving?

The problem that there are people with hundreds of printings, and hundreds of decks for some cards, and the left column was very large, slow, and making the whole page unbalanced. I could go half way I suppose and show a max of 10 or so, with a "Show More" button.

2) Not sure why I can see "Edit" buttons on someone else's tradelist. Thankfully I can't actually edit them...

Because I'm a sloppy programmer smile

joemiiier wrote:

When I edit via the inventory screen I usually have it sorted by "modified date" so that when I save I see the card most recently edited at the top so I can verify my edit was taken/correct.  With this new update it appears that all printings of a card's modified date are being adjusted as opposed to just the printing that I edited.  For example, in the past if I had three prints/versions of a card and then I modified the count on one of the three prints, only the print with the modified count would show at the top of the list.  Now when I press save I'm seeing all three show at the top whether or not the count was updated.  Hopefully that makes sense!

Joe

Looking into this bug, thanks for reporting!

In regards to 9700377's reply, I'm totally with him on not being able to see my prints on an individual page and having to click to see them (his #1).  Your idea of show the first X prints (10 or 15 seems reasonable) is a great in between solution.

joemiiier wrote:

Joe

Weirdly I cannot reproduce this. So you have a card with 3 printings, open the add widget, search for it, change the count on one, and all 3 of them then jump up with the modified date set to "now"?

3) I liked that before I could edit my wishlist while editing my tradelist.. by clicking to edit an entry it would show them both. Now if I remove a card from my tradelist and want to add it to my wishlist I need to now navigate over to my wishlist page first (or I suppose I could go to the card's page and edit it from there.) Again from an "extra clicks" perspective this is a step backwards, but maybe not many people were doing this sort of thing.

I don't see it doing it now as I just tried it on Abyssal Specter and it only franked the one I edited.  I was editing Syncopate in my collection earlier and added one to the Return to Ravnica but it set all three editions I own to an edit of today, all at the same time stamp (screenshot attached).  I will keep an eye out for it doing it and let you know.

Appreciate the effort made to make the update.

Understand why it had to be done. Inputting 'Islands' or 'Naturalize', for instance, was very tedious.
The time it takes for the basic lands to open is MUCH faster.

Miss being able to edit the wishlist count and the inventory count on one screen.

Visually, had used the tags as a quick visual aid to determine which cards versions were in decks.
Miss the overall colorful look of the card pages.

Maybe the next update...:|

BTW, you DID fix the most aggravating flaw in the edit feature. Accidentally clicking outside the edit window in the previous version always closed it. Fixing that was extremely helpful. Much obliged, Sebi!

Last edited by BlueBlazes (2020-03-24 18:57:41)

I'm ok with an extra click, if it speeds things up, great.

Is it possible to show price on the popup as well? Deckbox is usually how I get prices for the cards I own. If not, thats ok.

I need to see my versions on the individual cards screen.

Sorry if i am too direct, but this is the worst update possible, and we need a way to disable it, if not fully revert.

The rationale is pretty simple, the data visualization and insertion is clunky and hidden behind too much interaction. The previous version worked well because one could see what cards one had, right away without clicking anywhere, and add cards with one clicks. Now not only everything (both addition and visualization) requires one extra button, but the interface is unusable as the rest of the screen is blacked out and non-interactive (like I forcefully need to exit before I can click on the button).

Deckbox was renowned for its simple but effective interface, please keep it that way.

Edit: reading comments above, if this is a performance issue (land cards performance a problem? seriously???) consider keeping the old interface for premium customers - right now this website is unusable for me

Edit: Edit: the plus button overlaying the quantities (see attachment) is the worst sad

Last edited by koda (2020-03-24 22:51:08)

First of all big HELLO everyone!

I am new with deckbox and enjoy it very much. Hope my first changes happen on this week cool Nice to see here a community, and an active development.

Function request on wish list please.
When we add multiple cards on wishlist I do noticed there is one way only card by card to select language or release set? (or may I am really a newbie, lol please correct me if that is the case) I just felt a bit disturbed when I set example one commander deck on the rocket and put it on my wish list. It is really takes time to select all cards (like ~60-80) language, condition and set options.
If I am right, please put those nut buttons there... somewhere they will allow us to select the actual added wishlist item informations globally on the actual list, or on wish list they could be also available. roll

Best regards, and lucky opens!
PS.: I have EN/GE cards, and actually on my first trades I noticed most of wish lists have missing attributes -> wasted time on trade discussion about card languages example.

Last edited by Frost_Ghost (2020-03-25 00:54:26)

Hi! I've just recently started using Deckbox regularly. I've been going through the process of cataloging my collection, and I've been enjoying how simple the site makes it. My only major gripes with this update so far have been these:

1) Identical cards used to be automatically grouped together. If I had a Negate from M12 already in my collection, and I added another with the same condition, language, etc., it would automatically set the quantity of that card to 2. Now, instead, it lists two separate but identical cards. I used to be able to go through and add cards rapid-fire style, but now i have to go one by one and adjust quantities.

2) I, like many people here, sort cards by date modified when adding to my collection to double check as I go. I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but when doing so, the list isn't automatically refreshing anymore. When I add or update a card, I get the green check mark verifying that it has been changed, but the list below doesn't show me that until i refresh the page. It used to do it automatically.

I'm not normally the type to complain about changes to sites or programs, but I've been updating my collection massively for the last few days and these issues have really slowed me down.

Edit:

I have just now also discovered that accidentally adding one to many cards on the inventory page can no longer be fixed by reducing the new card's value to 0. it will automatically set it back to 1 until you go to the page for that card and change it there.

Last edited by JNich111 (2020-03-24 23:57:17)

When I'm adding cards now the default is to keep the newly added card in its own separate row even if I have other identical cards from the same set. So my question is if I want the new card to be added to the existing row by default, is there a way I can do that?

Sebi,

I think I figured out how I got the multiple version updates to same modified date.  I pulled up a card (Aether Storm) and had 1 Homelands print and 4 Fifth Edition prints.  I pressed the add row, which added a new Fifth Edition row and then clicked save.  The old interface would combine the 4 existing into 5 cards in one row, the new interface is keeping the added row separate but updating the modified date for both Fifth Edition rows to today's date.  I was able to reproduce this behavior on other cards in my own testing.  Hopefully this keep separate rows is not intended behavior and it will go back to the old way of combining like editions (that have all attributes matching).  I often will click the add row button for as many copies as I have and rely on the site to combine them to the total in one row or use it to add extra copies obtained.  Hope this helps!

Joe

Perhaps already mentioned, but I'm really missing the ability to click on the green inventory column of a card in a constructed deck, quickly checking what other decks I have that use this card (to see if I have enough), and click out to then continue editing my deck. Please consider going back to that UI (or fixing the bug that killed this feature).

The biggest issues with the update for me are covered in JNich111's comment, it actually makes adding cards and confirming what I have in my collection slower on average with the new update as it requires more clicks and refreshing to see the info and make changes that used to be automatically available all at once.

I was okay waiting 45 seconds to a minute for the page to load when modifying my list of basic lands when it meant that everything could all be edited (and being able to revert any mistakes I made when entering) in one glance. The cases of cards where a card has a huge amounts of different printings causing a very long load time was only really an issue for basic lands, at least in my case. For 99% of my collection, the difference in load time is much less than the amount of time it takes to click the boxes to see all the information I could see before immediately.

Edit: thank you for rolling back some of the changes, it really does make the site much faster to use when you can see everything without clicking. I like to use this site for broad pricing as not only can I see the price for each printing, I can see how many I own right away. I still have the issue mentioned by JNich111 where reducing the number of cards in the list to "0" doesn't remove it from the inventory when using the "add cards" option.

I just added a rivals of ixilan swamp as a test, and had to go to the swamp page (outside of my "add cards" inventory page) and save the changes there to reduce the count to 0 and remove it from my inventory, rather than being able to do it from the "add cards" section.

Last edited by 1931027930252676 (2020-03-25 17:09:16)

Good Day. Just a quality of life suggestion.

With the new pop-up window for adding card, would it be possible to add in either a header that doesn't scroll or floating buttons at the top of the window for "Save/Close" and "Close" buttons? Not normally an issue, except when you have dozens and dozens are different versions of Islands logged into the system and the buttons go paste the bottom on your screen so you have to scroll down. You used to be able to hit enter while in one of the text boxes and it used to Save and Close for you, but that didn't seem to make it back in.

If you go with the header, maybe you could also add in tabs to move between Inventory Wishlist Trades and Decks. I think that would fix a lot of peoples gripes with the update?